ADVERTISEMENT

Flo P4P

CatCoach

HR All-State
Gold Member
May 29, 2001
Flo just came out with their top 30 P4P and Iowa has 1 (Ferrari #4).

PSU has 7, 6 of which are in the top 15.

I have heard that Iowa is working on Forrest? Haven't heard anything about Blaze. PSU has Lilledahl, so you would think those two would go elsewhere. Is Iowa in on any others that are currently uncommitted?

Fort Dodge's Ross is #30.

RankYearNameSchoolStateWeightCollegePrevious
1JRMarcus BlazePerrysburgOH1267
2SRZack RyderMinisink ValleyNY182Penn State1
3SRKoy HopkeAmeryWI285Minnesota2
4SRAngelo FerrariMelissaTX170Iowa3
5SRBenjamin DavinoSt. CharlesIL132Ohio State4
6SOJax ForrestBishop McCortPA1265
7SRLuke LilledahlWyoming SeminaryPA126Penn State6
8SRCody MerrillGilroyCA220Oklahoma State8
9JRPJ DukeMinisink ValleyNY152Penn State9
10SRAeoden SinclairMiltonWI195Missouri10
11SRConnor MirasolaWest Bend WestWI195Penn State11
12SRSawyer BarteltSouth DadeFL220Iowa State12
13SRCole MirasolaWest Bend WestWI220Penn State13
14SRJoseph SealeyWyoming SeminaryPA160Penn State14
15JRDaniel ZepedaGilroyCA13815
16SOBo BassettBishop McCortPA13816
17JRAnthony KnoxSaint John VianneyNJ120Cornell17
18JRWilliam HenckelBlair AcademyNJ16018
19JRLaDarion LockettStillwaterOK15219
20SRBrock MantanonaPalm DesertCA152Michigan20
21SRKyler LarkinValiant PrepAZ13221
22SRMason GibsonBishop McCortPA132Penn State22
23JRLeo DeLucaBlair AcademyNJ12023
24SRDillan JohnsonJoliet CatholicIL285Wisconsin24
25SRPierson ManvilleState CollegePA145Arizona State25
26JRKollin RathBethlehem CatholicPA14526
27JRVince BouzakisWyoming SeminaryPA15227
28JRTy EisePonderosaCO170Nebraska28
29SRRune LawrenceFrazierPA195West Virginia29
30SODreshaun RossFort DodgeIA19530

sad-depressed.gif

I really wish we would've recruited Dillon Johnson harder. I know we have BK but I really think Dillon (playing football and wrestling at Wisconsin) is going to end up 100% on the mat while BK will wind up 100% on the gridiron.

Reactions: el dub
So are scholarship limits irrelevant now? The kid can pay his own way with the NIL money they will be getting to go to school?
I would not say irrelevant. I highly doubt that your average lineup guy is going to clear enough NIL money individually to pay out of state tuition plus anything towards room and board. I know collectives will pay some but I still doubt that it pays full tuition and room and board.

MAN, we had better be in on several is about all i can say! Ross from IOWA should also be one

Reactions: Gutt15
PSU has 7 guys on that list and 5/7 (all but the Mirasolas) are from PA or NY. The PA to University of Iowa pipeline seems to have completely dried up. Going to be really hard to keep up, unless Iowa is getting the top guys not from the East Coast, and we're not even doing that right now.

PSU has 7 guys on that list and 5/7 (all but the Mirasolas) are from PA or NY. The PA to University of Iowa pipeline seems to have completely dried up. Going to be really hard to keep up, unless Iowa is getting the top guys not from the East Coast, and we're not even doing that right now.
For years I wondered why PSU wasn't better in wrestling ( IMO they were decent or maybe pretty good) when they had such fertile recruiting ground. It's the nature of the beast, or sport. You need a great coach like Gable then and Sanderson now and have great success to recruit well in the best areas.

For years I wondered why PSU wasn't better in wrestling ( IMO they were decent or maybe pretty good) when they had such fertile recruiting ground. It's the nature of the beast, or sport. You need a great coach like Gable then and Sanderson now and have great success to recruit well in the best areas.
I have a tough time figuring out why we have such difficulty getting top tier recruits to IC.

No other school has more than one wrestler committed in the P4P top 30. At this rate you could potentially have an all-start dual with PSU v. the field. Ok State, Minny, Cornel, Miz, Mich, & OSU all with one each. WOW

Frustrating but this was a lot like Iowa back in the 80's and 90's. It just sucks being on this side of it.

I really wish we would've recruited Dillon Johnson harder. I know we have BK but I really think Dillon (playing football and wrestling at Wisconsin) is going to end up 100% on the mat while BK will wind up 100% on the gridiron.

I have a tough time figuring out why we have such difficulty getting top tier recruits to IC.
I don't think it's that hard to figure out

Reactions: Agoodnap
No other school has more than one wrestler committed in the P4P top 30. At this rate you could potentially have an all-start dual with PSU v. the field. Ok State, Minny, Cornel, Miz, Mich, & OSU all with one each. WOW

Frustrating but this was a lot like Iowa back in the 80's and 90's. It just sucks being on this side of it.
Have been saying it for many years that the Fat$$$man's slush fund and a compliance dept willing to look away allowed them to out recruit the next several teams COMBINED!!! The wannabe bandwagon trolls will talk stupidly about, "how they just want to wrestle for the great Kralure."

They will say this due to winning. The thing is, NEVER and that includes the gable era, has the imbalance been this great. You can also point to when IOWA ripped off three in a row. that did not make 5Xs as many recruits come to wrestle for the HAWKS!!!

You could also point to Ohio st winning one in there and have an Olympic champion etc.... Where was their momentum? Truth be told, you have to be pretty naive to believe kids/parents are giving up tons of money to go to F*** st!!!

Now with NIL $$$, the good Lord only knows what they are offering? What they already have in their line up, those waiting on the bench, and this class coming in, well it is kinda almost ridiculous.

The good news is, we have many pieces coming together. It is time to figure out how to finish the puzzle? You can not ask for much more as a coach. New facility, women team kicking ass, UFC endorsements, biggest fan base, etc....

ONLY 10 can wrestle so start figuring out how to put 10 absolute HAMMERS on the mat!!! Some of the names listed and guys like BO basset are all as close to you can get to can't miss. You need to find ALL from this group who have interest and make sure you do everything possible to land em!

At this rate you could have an all-star dual with only Penn State.

Anyone who thinks it’s just deep pockets making the difference isn’t really paying attention, imo.
Enlighten us El Dub. How the hell does psu keep snagging top recruits when they are already seemingly two or three deep at every weight. How do they do it and how the hell do we fix it?

• Haha
Reactions: USPMAN and IRONBIRD
Superstar coach, proven results, and the best room in wrestling , and it's not close.
I'm not El dub , but that's my take. Lol
Enlighten us El Dub. How the hell does psu keep snagging top recruits when they are already seemingly two or three deep at every weight. How do they do it and how the hell do we fix it?
We have superstar coaches as well. And a history of success.

In my eyes, it’s the perceived cultures in the rooms, coaching styles and recruitment strategies that are all making differences. We laugh at, “Fun State,” label, but that’s a place to start.

Recruiting strategy could be the biggest change needed. PSU appears to go after MOST of the top kids HARD. From the outside, it looks like we might put a lot of effort into a smaller number of recruits who seem to fit our style and room culture. And from the outside, our room culture appears to be intense and conservative.

Superstar coach, proven results, and the best room in wrestling , and it's not close.
I'm not El dub , but that's my take. Lol
That’s basically what it is. But we know that. We’ve beaten this dead horse and year after year we get stomped on by psu in recruiting. Even in our great class this year one quit the sport the other is splitting time with football.

This was supposed to be the year Iowa picked up the pace…simply because psu was already to stocked. Yet here we are…one guy. We need a few more. I’m hoping the damn breaks soon and we hear a few big names committing.

On the bright side I have heard that we may be getting an announcement, but I’m not sure what’s taking so long. Has me worried.

hey could be worse. at least the top recruits we get generally pan out. oklahoma state‘s recruiting classes have been great yet they can’t develop them once they get on campus
Define pan out. Iowa has only had 3 NCAA champions the last 10 years. Only one Top 10 pfp guy (Lee) has won one (assuming Ramos wasn’t top 10, Clark wasn’t).

Not only are we not getting enough Top 10 PFP guys, the top guys we do get don’t win enough relative to their “elite” ranking.

Define pan out. Iowa has only had 3 NCAA champions the last 10 years. Only one Top 10 pfp guy (Lee) has won one (assuming Ramos wasn’t top 10, Clark wasn’t).

Not only are we not getting enough Top 10 PFP guys, the top guys we do get don’t win enough relative to their “elite” ranking.
This….

This guy gets it. I never thought of it that way.

We start winning individual championships again. PSU didn’t just start w/ 3-5 champs and then rinse n repeat. They got 1 here, a couple there, and kept building momentum on that until 3-5 champs became the norm. They have been in maintainence mode a while now — Spencer was a great spark for us, but we gotta keep building our own momentum to counter PSU.

We start winning individual championships again. PSU didn’t just start w/ 3-5 champs and then rinse n repeat. They got 1 here, a couple there, and kept building momentum on that until 3-5 champs became the norm. They have been in maintainence mode a while now — Spencer was a great spark for us, but we gotta keep building our own momentum to counter PSU.
I think your 100% correct that we need to get back to winning more individual titles at a greater rate. But, you're wrong that Sanderson and PSU didn't start off winning numerous individual titles right out of the gate. When you have the luxury of inheriting guys like Molinaro, Quentin Wright, Bubba Jenkins, Ed Ruth (all of which were future champs). And you then get to infuse those names with guys like David Taylor, Andrew Long, Matt Brown and Cyler Sanderson you have the exact recipe for the start of a dynasty. Especially when you're located in the nation's #1 hotbed for wrestling recruiting.

Give credit where credit is due, Sanderson and company have done everything correctly to maintain the momentum, but it shouldn't be a shocking realization to anyone why every college in the country, Iowa included, is playing second fiddle to them.

This guy gets it. I never thought of it that way.
As stupid as this sounds I don't think many Iowa fans especially younger ones get the impact of Gable. Before he was your legendary coach he was my Olympic champion in 1972. He was wrestling and his fame, accomplishments, and ability allowed him to go anywhere and get recruits. I mean many of us read about him and saw him wrestle back in the day when Olympic sports were a huge deal.

He was like Knute Rockne, Bear Bryant and others all rolled into one. It's my recollection back then that he had more mainstream media attention as a wrestler than guys are getting now. With the internet wrestling is doing great but it's still a niche sport.

My PSU football friends barely watch wrestling and can't grab why we cannot beat Michigan or win national titles these days. I point out that only one school has won a title as a northern school since 2000 and it's OSU. And they won two. Pa. has lost 10 electoral votes since 1968, Joe's first undefeated season. It's went from 29 to 19, with this population shift it's no wonder northern teams struggle.

Now look at wrestling, Pa. is arguably the top state with neighboring states of NJ, NY, and Ohio also very fertile states for wrestling recruiters. Iowa is very solid but lacks population and other states like Ca. and Texas have enough people to develop some great talent too.

Sanderson, a figure arguably as great as Gable on the mat sought out PSU due to location, location, location and the rest is history. It might be annoying but PSUI has won more title in wrestling than the SEC has won in football from 2009 onward. PSU has won 10, the SEC 9. He's the guy with the most national reach right now and has put together a machine.

As stupid as this sounds I don't think many Iowa fans especially younger ones get the impact of Gable. Before he was your legendary coach he was my Olympic champion in 1972. He was wrestling and his fame, accomplishments, and ability allowed him to go anywhere and get recruits. I mean many of us read about him and saw him wrestle back in the day when Olympic sports were a huge deal.

He was like Knute Rockne, Bear Bryant and others all rolled into one. It's my recollection back then that he had more mainstream media attention as a wrestler than guys are getting now. With the internet wrestling is doing great but it's still a niche sport.

My PSU football friends barely watch wrestling and can't grab why we cannot beat Michigan or win national titles these days. I point out that only one school has won a title as a northern school since 2000 and it's OSU. And they won two. Pa. has lost 10 electoral votes since 1968, Joe's first undefeated season. It's went from 29 to 19, with this population shift it's no wonder northern teams struggle.

Now look at wrestling, Pa. is arguably the top state with neighboring states of NJ, NY, and Ohio also very fertile states for wrestling recruiters. Iowa is very solid but lacks population and other states like Ca. and Texas have enough people to develop some great talent too.

Sanderson, a figure arguably as great as Gable on the mat sought out PSU due to location, location, location and the rest is history. It might be annoying but PSUI has won more title in wrestling than the SEC has won in football from 2009 onward. PSU has won 10, the SEC 9. He's the guy with the most national reach right now and has put together a machine.
Geography is everything here, most 18 year old men and their families would rather be a car ride away from home than a plane ride especially when the program is as good or better. It's really frustrating though that we have zero signings from six guys from states that border Iowa though.

Geography is everything here, most 18 year old men and their families would rather be a car ride away from home than a plane ride especially when the program is as good or better. It's really frustrating though that we have zero signings from six guys from states that border Iowa though.
Some time back here I wrote that if my son was a D1 wrestling recruit at the top level he would never go to Iowa and people were mad, but it would be an easy choice for him. He grew up in Pa. and was a PSU fan growing up, and had two parents as PSU alums. We would be 2 hours away from all of his home matches and close to others. He had graduated in 2012 from high school, but now he would wrestle at Maryland, Lehigh, and tournaments like the one in Bethlehem, Pa.

All a short car ride, Iowa City it like 14 hours away . The time and money we would spend traveling could be put towards his schooling assuming he did not have a full ride. How

Some time back here I wrote that if my son was a D1 wrestling recruit at the top level he would never go to Iowa and people were mad, but it would be an easy choice for him. He grew up in Pa. and was a PSU fan growing up, and had two parents as PSU alums. We would be 2 hours away from all of his home matches and close to others. He had graduated in 2012 from high school, but now he would wrestle at Maryland, Lehigh, and tournaments like the one in Bethlehem, Pa.

All a short car ride, Iowa City it like 14 hours away . The time and money we would spend traveling could be put towards his schooling assuming he did not have a full ride. How
Of course. I don't understand how people could not understand this logic.

Reactions: bourbon n blues
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT