ADVERTISEMENT

Flo P4P

that's a good point. Maybe TnT doesn't get the credit they deserve for building talent. I believe we have only finished top 5 in recruiting 1 in the last 5 years?? im probably wrong on that.
I honestly don't know where we finish/get ranked in recruiting.
I pay attention to who we are recruiting and who we get but don't pay attention to our recruiting finish/rank.

You say our recruiting is below par compared to other teams, but we consistently finish top 2 in the country??
And when we are 2nd it's to psu...
Recruiting is indeed poor but holes are routinely filled with transfers. Given the ease in transferring due to the portal, this seems like a valid path. Most of the current starters are transfers.

Reactions: Fan In Black
I find it troubling that we lose some of the BEST In-state recruits to other " smaller colleges" and seeing them slip away to the Cyclones is always a kick to the groin...HAHA

Reactions: el dub
You say our recruiting is below par compared to other teams, but we consistently finish top 2 in the country??
And when we are 2nd it's to psu...
Well, perhaps you should look at the finishes at NCAA's since 2010 when Cael arrived in Happy Valley.

Iowa has placed 1st two times, 2nd two times, 3rd four times 4th four times, and 5th one time. If you add them up and divide by 13 years you average exactly 3rd, and one of your 2nd's was when Ohio State won in 2015.

Sobering numbers for sure.

Gotcha
Your previous post said we should have the ability to out recruit any other team in the country year in and year out, but we don't.
And we're still consistently top 2 in the country.
I guess even if you are unhappy with our recruiting you have to be happy with how our coaching staff develops and prepares our guys??
Any other team besides PSU.

I find it troubling that we lose some of the BEST In-state recruits to other " smaller colleges" and seeing them slip away to the Cyclones is always a kick to the groin...HAHA
We lost Tate to ISU. Seems like we preferred Arnold and Ferrari #3. How would he fit into the lineup? which other instate recruits did we miss on that would fit into the lineup somewhere?

Reactions: MitchLL and tiltman
Well, perhaps you should look at the finishes at NCAA's since 2010 when Cael arrived in Happy Valley.

Iowa has placed 1st two times, 2nd two times, 3rd four times 4th four times, and 5th one time. If you add them up and divide by 13 years you average exactly 3rd, and one of your 2nd's was when Ohio State won in 2015.

I get what you are saying but do that same math with all programs. Our average may be 3 but I suspect it will be the second best average behind PSU.

Again - I agree - the results are not good enough.

that's a good point. Maybe TnT doesn't get the credit they deserve for building talent. I believe we have only finished top 5 in recruiting 1 in the last 5 years?? im probably wrong on that.
We always put a solid team together, but have had only had three national champs in the last ten years.

We always put a solid team together, but have had only had three national champs in the last ten years.
Correct and I have always thought it was more about coaching but it comes down more to recruiting (yes that a big part of coaching) Is cael a better coach or just a great recruiter in the most abundant area of recruits. Probably both.

Don't really give a crap what you have to say.
Why don't you go rub nuts with chrome dome
Go Hawks.

This is crazy to me that we’ve only produced 3 champs the past 10 years! It will take more than just matching PSU money spent on athletes; it’ll also take proving you can come to Iowa and win and we’re not doing that at the moment.

This is crazy to me that we’ve only produced 3 champs the past 10 years! It will take more than just matching PSU money spent on athletes; it’ll also take proving you can come to Iowa and win and we’re not doing that at the moment.
The F-IN covid year really screwed us and many seem to ignor this point. We had several guys who had their best shot at winning an individual title that year. Bull, Lugo, KemDawg all had great shots and SL would be a 4Xer!!!

No doubt IOWA wins another team title also. All of a sudden, things look much better. Obviously still not nearly enough, but maybe double the number of champions.

That being said, who did we recruit who should have been a NC based on HS rankings? Seems to me that EVERYONE who was a high recruit, was right in the mix, and the one TOP guy, SL, was a MONSTER!!!

Only injuries stopped many of them so if you want to point at a flaw in our program? That would be where I would be looking into. Just way too many injuries over the last 10-12 years even for a sport as tough as wrestling is.

Said it in another thread, just multiply our TOP recruits by 5, 4, even 3 times and we would be rolling F*** st! You had even 3 Lees, 3 Bulls, and 3 KemDawgs in a line up, and it is not close and 3 is the lowest end of how badly we are being out recruited! I would guess it is maybe even higher then 5Xs!!!!

this stat is almost unbelievable

it should be unacceptable but we love the Brands for obvious reasons.

fact is..they are not good at landing the blue chips and they are not good at landing the diamonds in the rough.

You can't argue with the results.

Our recruiting isn’t below par to other teams besides PSU. But I think it could/should be consistently better than the rest of the country due to our storied history and reputation as well as rabid fan base that consistently puts more butts in seats than any other program in the country.
Actually it is below par compared to schools other than PSU. From 2009-2018 we averaged 8.6 in recruiting classes which was good enough for 5th in the country during that span, behind PSU, tOSU, OSU and Nebraska. More to follow...I'm going to find the recruiting class rankings since 2018, to see where we've been since then. Looks like our rankings have been good, but many of our selectees have either not scored points...or something happened to them (e.g., Chittum, Jesuroga, etc.).

Last edited:
Our recruiting isn’t below par to other teams besides PSU. But I think it could/should be consistently better than the rest of the country due to our storied history and reputation as well as rabid fan base that consistently puts more butts in seats than any other program in the country.
In 2019 we weren't even in the top 20 for recruiting classes...tOSU, ASU, Cornell, Rutgers, VT were top 5.

2020 we were #2 (class pretty much a bust...only points from PK). Top 5: Okie State, Iowa, Mizz, PSU, Cornell

In 21 we were 3rd behind PSU and ASU, but once again not a lot of points. Looks like Ayala might be our only points guy...maybe Rathjen...

In 22 we were 4th behind tOSU, Iowa State and NC State. Don't see many if any points coming from that group. Chittum left and the other ranked guys were Riggins and Franklin.

in 23 we were 1st, but lost Jesuroga. Still TBD WRT Arnold (looks great), BK (hope he wrestles for 4 years) and Block.

So over the past 3-4 years, we've had good classes, but haven't had success in keeping them all...which sucks.

Of course none of this includes anyone's portal pickups which of course now play a monumental role in the NCAA Championship outcomes.

I know I’ll take a lot of heat for this but it’s definitely past time to split TNT up and move Terry to the HWC. TNT are essentially the exact same person and we need to bring a young, fresh and aggressive new staff member who can help Star with recruiting. Not sure who that person is but Terry would still be around and it’s time for him to lead Spencer to a handful of World titles and a couple of Olympic championships as well!!! Go Hawks!!

Actually it is below par compared to schools other than PSU. From 2009-2018 we averaged 8.6 in recruiting classes which was good enough for 5th in the country during that span, behind PSU, tOSU, OSU and Nebraska. More to follow...I'm going to find the recruiting class rankings since 2018, to see where we've been since then. Looks like our rankings have been good, but many of our selectees have either not scored points...or something happened to them (e.g., Chittum, Jesuroga, etc.).

Thanks for the analysis. It looks like we’ve been using the portal to pull us out of the recruiting hole we’ve been digging the last few years rather than using the portal for the finishing touches on teams capable of making runs at team titles.

I know I’ll take a lot of heat for this but it’s definitely past time to split TNT up and move Terry to the HWC. TNT are essentially the exact same person and we need to bring a young, fresh and aggressive new staff member who can help Star with recruiting. Not sure who that person is but Terry would still be around and it’s time for him to lead Spencer to a handful of World titles and a couple of Olympic championships as well!!! Go Hawks!!
I agree with the above. However I think our entire recruiting strategy needs to change and I’m not convinced T will allow that to happen under his watch.

I explained years ago how psu was working the system and getting top guys in for little to no money.
It was first hand factual information, but the psu trolls will try to deny or deflect it.
It's BS, the NCAA should have taken a hard look at what they were doing.
But no, chrome dome goody two shoes and his crew would never do anything wrong.
Chrome dome goody two shoes? It's a bit much denigrating ones appearance and demeanor. Come on, that's not fair.

Somehow PSU is head and shoulders above everyone with MMA as well. Cody Law won last night.

Why is our UFC partnership not impactful? Have we figured out how to maximize something like that. Seems like a huge opportunity for the program but seemingly nothing cross promoted in a way young phenoms would get intrigued.

Reactions: IRONBIRD
Somehow PSU is head and shoulders above everyone with MMA as well. Cody Law won last night.

Why is our UFC partnership not impactful? Have we figured out how to maximize something like that. Seems like a huge opportunity for the program but seemingly nothing cross promoted in a way young phenoms would get intrigued.

I think Law was only PSU for two years, one a redshirt.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT