ADVERTISEMENT

Flo preview and predictions

edquinn06

HR All-American
Sep 25, 2014
IA-IL-WI
all ten weights are out and here is what we got

125: 1st- I think we can all agree with that.
133: 7th- With an improved bottom game and better defense on his feet I feel DeSanto will easily be on the podium this year. I’m just not sure where.
141: Flo has Murin in the new blood portion. We will find out soon if he is the guy or not. Neither Murin or Turk are predicted to make the podium this year but Turk owns a win over the the person predicted 6th (Chad Red) and Murin has a win over the 7th place prediction (Mike Carr). Whoever emerges the starter I really hope they can find the podium which will be the first time since Montell.
149: 5th- I’m really excited to see Lugo this year. I don’t think he will light up the score board, but he will beat some really good guys in fun matches. We owns a win over the 3rd place prediction (Kolodzik). Which makes me feel 5th is not his ceiling.
157: no talk of Young, but he does have a win over Monday the 7th place prediction and I know he can beat Van Brill the 8th place prediction. If he makes the podium I think 7-8 would be his range.
165: 5th- This is a tough weight. Bull has a win over the #1 Joesph. I really wanna see him against Wick again and I think people are a little high on Lewis from VT who they have placing 3rd. Much like they where to high on Lewis from Rutgers after he won U23. I feel Bull will at least be in the 3rd place match this year.
174: 4th- I think Kemmerer will beat Amine who they have placing third. I can’t put him above Hall and Valencia right now.
184: no talk on Wilcke. This is another good weight. I hope Wilcke can find his way past the round of 12 this year.
197- 6th. Will find out very fast where Warner stands with the top guys. I think he will take a hit or two during the season, but figures it out in March and at the very least will be in the 3rd place match.
285: 2nd- Gable is a beast. Still has wins over Hall and Nevills but those two are right there with him and could go the other way. Again I see Stoll at the very least in the 3rd place match.

That gives Iowa 7AA’s with a solid chance to add more at 41,57,84 in th 7-8th place range. All I know is it is going to be another fun season!

Fair assessment. Not much room for error to win a championship Going to need more than 5 points each at 157 & 184.

133: 7th- With an improved bottom game and better defense on his feet I feel DeSanto will easily be on the podium this year. I’m just not sure where.
141: Flo has Murin in the new blood portion. We will find out soon if he is the guy or not. Neither Murin or Turk are predicted to make the podium this year but Turk owns a win over the the person predicted 6th (Chad Red) and Murin has a win over the 7th place prediction (Mike Carr). Whoever emerges the starter I really hope they can find the podium which will be the first time since Montell.
149: 5th- I’m really excited to see Lugo this year. I don’t think he will light up the score board, but he will beat some really good guys in fun matches. We owns a win over the 3rd place prediction (Kolodzik). Which makes me feel 5th is not his ceiling.
157: no talk of Young, but he does have a win over Monday the 7th place prediction and I know he can beat Van Brill the 8th place prediction. If he makes the podium I think 7-8 would be his range.
165: 5th- This is a tough weight. Bull has a win over the #1 Joesph. I really wanna see him against Wick again and I think people are a little high on Lewis from VT who they have placing 3rd. Much like they where to high on Lewis from Rutgers after he won U23. I feel Bull will at least be in the 3rd place match this year.
174: 4th- I think Kemmerer will beat Amine who they have placing third. I can’t put him above Hall and Valencia right now.
184: no talk on Wilcke. This is another good weight. I hope Wilcke can find his way past the round of 12 this year.
197- 6th. Will find out very fast where Warner stands with the top guys. I think he will take a hit or two during the season, but figures it out in March and at the very least will be in the 3rd place match.
285: 2nd- Gable is a beast. Still has wins over Hall and Nevills but those two are right there with him and could go the other way. Again I see Stoll at the very least in the 3rd place match.

That gives Iowa 7AA’s with a solid chance to add more at 41,57,84 in th 7-8th place range. All I know is it is going to be another fun season!

All of these Flo predictions calling 141 a 2 man race for Iowa has me rooting for Happel. I also think Perez Perez will beat out Lee (just seeing if you are paying attention)

Lewis from VT isn't Lewis from RU. VT Lewis is BEAST.

I think Stoll beats Gable. Stoll has old man strength.

Reactions: evashevsky58
All of these Flo predictions calling 141 a 2 man race for Iowa has me rooting for Happel. I also think Perez Perez will beat out Lee (just seeing if you are paying attention)

I don’t think Happel is out of the race. He still may very well win the spot. Brands is going to give each guy a chance. I really feel it will come down to which guy is beating the competition not each other. I’m gonna go out on a limb here and take Lee over Perez in a close contested match. Both Lewis’s are very good, but 7min folk match is a different beast then freestyle. Gable isn’t lacking in strength, look at his senior level victories this summer.

Like someone said, all pretty fair predictions! You could defiantly argue various ways depending on who you root for.

I like the OP's take on our guys too. Still feel some are selling our guys short, but again, several new guys in the line up will have to prove me correct!!!

I think IOWA has a MONSTER year!

Not only does Stoll have old man strength, but he has a knee full of lead. I hope he’s training on subtle ways to knee people with all that metal in there.

Reactions: so cal hawkfan
I think Flo predictions are fair and about what we should expect to start the season. As a hawk fan, I think quite a few of these guys move up the board and we should see 133, 141 and 197 5th place or higher. I would like to say 184 should be as well, but you never know what you're going to get out of Cash.

He was just comparing Lewis (VT) being overrated to Lewis (RU) also being overrated after he won a U23 gold.

141, 157, and 184 are mysteries to me. I'd like to see someone at these weights step up, not just to dominate the starter spot, but to upset some top-5 guys. Will that happen?
I have had these hopes in past years, but it almost never happens. Usually the good guys demonstrate that talent early on (like Gilman or Clark) unless they're stuck behind an all-star. That is definitely not the case at 141, 157, or 184.
We need to see some upsets against quality competition at Lehigh and at Midlands before we'll know. At this point, I wouldn't count on anything.

141, 157, and 184 are mysteries to me. I'd like to see someone at these weights step up, not just to dominate the starter spot, but to upset some top-5 guys. Will that happen?
I have had these hopes in past years, but it almost never happens. Usually the good guys demonstrate that talent early on (like Gilman or Clark) unless they're stuck behind an all-star. That is definitely not the case at 141, 157, or 184.
We need to see some upsets against quality competition at Lehigh and at Midlands before we'll know. At this point, I wouldn't count on anything.

Young has done well against some top 5 guys, but couldn't pull off victories. His tech over Shields in freestyle looked great though. I think he could be a lower AA.

Hard to argue with what they did. But here some of my thoughts...
125: Obvious Champ
133: who ever it is here will be fun to watch and honestly I have either one in that 3-6 range.
141: You guys will love Murin. He's my sleeper pick this year. I have him anywhere from 1-4. Laugh all you want but he is going to shock a lot of people this year.
149: Here's where it gets a little tricky can Lugo win, yes. I don't like matchups with Jordan or Leeth but it's possible. With that being said I have him in that 3-6 range
157: IF and it's a big IF Young can manage the weight he could make it up the stand some but right now I think he is a 7-rd of 12 type kid with potential to make top 5.
165: Bull is probably my 2nd favorite Hawk. He has a BRUTAL weight to deal with. Honestly any of 5 guys could get on a roll and win this weight. For now I have him anywhere from 1-6.
174: My favorite Hawk(everybody's is Spencer). He is finally at a weight where he can eat and perform like he is capable. Problem is it's the same weight as Valencia and Hall. Shocker alert I have him anywhere from 1-4.
184: Cash is Cash solid wrestler that can upset a guy or two on any given night but I am not betting he AAs this year.
197: He's bigger and better but don't know if he is able to challenge for much more than 3-5.
Hwt: All Depends on Dhesi and if he can go or not. Part of me wants him to lose due to bonus pts he can score on the backside but right now anywhere from 1-3.
Team: Can they win it, yes. Will they win it, I don't think so. No worse than 3rd with a outside shot at winning it.

Young has done well against some top 5 guys, but couldn't pull off victories. His tech over Shields in freestyle looked great though. I think he could be a lower AA.

I’m high on Young also ... lots of potential - just have to be comfortable @ 57 and live up to it.

Last edited:
Reactions: funnyfletcher
Hard to argue with what they did. But here some of my thoughts...
125: Obvious Champ
133: who ever it is here will be fun to watch and honestly I have either one in that 3-6 range.
141: You guys will love Murin. He's my sleeper pick this year. I have him anywhere from 1-4. Laugh all you want but he is going to shock a lot of people this year.
149: Here's where it gets a little tricky can Lugo win, yes. I don't like matchups with Jordan or Leeth but it's possible. With that being said I have him in that 3-6 range
157: IF and it's a big IF Young can manage the weight he could make it up the stand some but right now I think he is a 7-rd of 12 type kid with potential to make top 5.
165: Bull is probably my 2nd favorite Hawk. He has a BRUTAL weight to deal with. Honestly any of 5 guys could get on a roll and win this weight. For now I have him anywhere from 1-6.
174: My favorite Hawk(everybody's is Spencer). He is finally at a weight where he can eat and perform like he is capable. Problem is it's the same weight as Valencia and Hall. Shocker alert I have him anywhere from 1-4.
184: Cash is Cash solid wrestler that can upset a guy or two on any given night but I am not betting he AAs this year.
197: He's bigger and better but don't know if he is able to challenge for much more than 3-5.
Hwt: All Depends on Dhesi and if he can go or not. Part of me wants him to lose due to bonus pts he can score on the backside but right now anywhere from 1-3.
Team: Can they win it, yes. Will they win it, I don't think so. No worse than 3rd with a outside shot at winning it.
I can see a Bull taking second. Joseph is close to being a four timer

At 84 we won't really know until Wilcke steps on the mat at 184, but I expect big things from him down a weight. He didn't sit behind anyone at 97 but he was at 97 because of a guy named Sam Brooks and Pat Downey, even though the PDIII never panned out. Both these guys had pretty solid resumes. I guess time will tell....

At 84 we won't really know until Wilcke steps on the mat at 184, but I expect big things from him down a weight. He didn't sit behind anyone at 97 but he was at 97 because of a guy named Sam Brooks and Pat Downey, even though the PDIII never panned out. Both these guys had pretty solid resumes. I guess time will tell....
I’m on the side of that coin I believe we see a breakout year from Cash. He has great tools and just needs to be confident in what he is capable of.

Cash had a mediocre RSF year with a nice run at NCAAs, followed by a sophomore year with a ceiling that seemed to be largely self-imposed. He seemed content to lose close ones to top-8 guys without a sense of urgency in final minute. It's as if he said to himself, "I'm not that good yet." That's not a weight-related issue, it's a head-related issue. Outsider's pov: he's pacing himself to be a low AA (been there, I get it). That's dangerous territory, as there are 16 other guys in the bracket aiming for that, but only ~3-4 who truly believe they can win it all. He needs to be in that pack of 4 if he actually hopes to put some ground between himself and the other 16 guys vying for AA spots. Otherwise he'll be flipping the coin in R16 on the top side and R12 in consis his final two years and contributing 2-4 team points max.

That's a 10 yard penalty for incorrect use of word.
tenor.gif

Cash had a mediocre RSF year with a nice run at NCAAs, followed by a sophomore year with a ceiling that seemed to be largely self-imposed. He seemed content to lose close ones to top-8 guys without a sense of urgency in final minute. It's as if he said to himself, "I'm not that good yet." That's not a weight-related issue, it's a head-related issue. Outsider's pov: he's pacing himself to be a low AA (been there, I get it). That's dangerous territory, as there are 16 other guys in the bracket aiming for that, but only ~3-4 who truly believe they can win it all. He needs to be in that pack of 4 if he actually hopes to put some ground between himself and the other 16 guys vying for AA spots. Otherwise he'll be flipping the coin in R16 on the top side and R12 in consis his final two years and contributing 2-4 team points max.
I couldn’t agree with this more. I’ve struggled to see why people think Wilcke will be better at 184. I just don’t see it. It’s one thing if he was getting to the legs at 197 but just couldn’t finish those shots because he was undersized, but he wasn’t. He wouldn’t even sniff leg attack’s in most matches. That’s a mindset issue, not weight as you mentioned in your post. I would love for Wilcke to prove me wrong, but I don’t see anything changing with him moving down to 184. I also think 184 is a tougher weight class.

Reactions: el dub
Cash Wilcke will be an All American at 184 lbs.
Is that good enough for the Iowa fans?
I hope you are right. He beats the mediocre guys consistently, but we'll see how he does against the good ones. Moving down a weight is good, but I won't believe anything until he whips some well-ranked guys at 184.

Reactions: Neo_Hawk
As Tarp suggested, it always seemed to me that he had all the physical tools, but something was lacking in the attitude to come back and win in the third period.

Reactions: artradley
Exactly.

This would be huge, sadly I am on the other side but I hope you're right.
I get it Neo and I am mostly optimistic with my views of these guys. I can understand why guys are not sold on Cash, If he does win the starting spot my view is he knew he was at the wrong weight last year his body language and his confidence were off. My belief is the coaches the rest of the team members that are at the next level along with being at the correct weight will turn the tides for Cash.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT