ADVERTISEMENT

Florida passes bill to ban left lane driving with few exceptions

alaskanseminole

HR Legend
Oct 20, 2002
Under HB 317, drivers on a road, street or highway "with two or more lanes" where the speed limit is "at least 65 miles per hour … may not operate a motor vehicle in the furthermost left-hand lane, except when overtaking and passing another vehicle; when preparing to exit … or when otherwise directed by an official traffic control device."

Lets Go Nba GIF by Storyful

Under HB 317, drivers on a road, street or highway "with two or more lanes" where the speed limit is "at least 65 miles per hour … may not operate a motor vehicle in the furthermost left-hand lane, except when overtaking and passing another vehicle; when preparing to exit … or when otherwise directed by an official traffic control device."

Seems stupid to me. If there are two lanes with people obeying the speed limit, you will have twice as much traffic in one lane, and horrible congestion.

Good for Florida.

Get tired of all the AARP members who want to camp in the left lane while maintaining their 62 mph speed.

Tell me you've not gotten stuck behind this person driving 63 in a 65 without actually telling me.

even-know-rule-taken-without-838174271.jpg
There's a section of 680 where it goes down from 3 lanes to 2 lanes, but for the next couple miles there are 2 right side exits. So everyone turning stays in the right lane, and everyone else goes into the left. The right lane often stops to a crawl, and inevitably I get stuck behind that guy in the arrow on the left lane.

There is a similar bill working its way through the Iowa legislature. I can appreciate the idea, but I think it would be difficult to enforce. State troopers have much more important things to deal with most of the time, I would think.

What on earth is that? Parents waiting in line to pick up their kids?

Since you're one of my favorite posters, I won't give you a PragerU video. :cool:

And I am not for left lane loungers, believe me. But I would rather have a law which required you to move to the right, if conditions permit, if someone came up behind you, than take away 50% of the interstate here most places in Iowa.

this is what happens when people don't know how to zipper merge.
I'm a hold the line person, BUT that's ONLY because I live in America and Americans are selfish drivers who haven't learned to zipper merge (unless exiting a concert venue...but sometimes even that creates chaos). They see the signs and race up to the front of the line and forcefully cut over.

I really wish we'd adopt zipper merging...we'd cut that long a$$ single line in half. Literally.

3ddac3d90a348fcae530a7626ef744b5.jpg

All they need to do is pass a law that issues the death penalty for those that don’t pull out into intersection on flashing left turn arrow and we are all set.

Reactions: IACub
I'm a hold the line person, BUT that's ONLY because I live in America and Americans are selfish drivers who haven't learned to zipper merge (unless exiting a concert venue...but sometimes even that creates chaos). They see the signs and race up to the front of the line and forcefully cut over.

I really wish we'd adopt zipper merging...we'd cut that long a$$ single line in half. Literally.

3ddac3d90a348fcae530a7626ef744b5.jpg
Isn't that what zipper merging is?

That's what it "should" be. Two lines merging at the front. Instead. We have everyone getting over forming a a super long line only to have one or two cars zoom up to the front and force their way in while the rest of us are stuck way back in the back waiting. It's completely inefficient.

I'm sure those one or two cars, though, are trying to teach everyone how to properly zipper merge, though. ;)

Germans got it.
242633366_1014611562605973_5222052465957051020_n.png

That's what it "should" be. Two lines merging at the front. Instead. We have everyone getting over forming a a super long line only to have one or two cars zoom up to the front and force their way in while the rest of us are stuck way back in the back waiting. It's completely inefficient.

I'm sure those one or two cars, though, are trying to teach everyone how to properly zipper merge, though. ;)
I'm kind of weird about zipper merging. If someone tries to cut me off like 300-400 feet from the merge point I wont let them in, I will hold the line. However, if you they try to merge at the merge point I will gladly let them in.

Reactions: alaskanseminole
I'm kind of weird about zipper merging. If someone tries to cut me off like 300-400 feet from the merge point I wont let them in, I will hold the line. However, if you they try to merge at the merge point I will gladly let them in.
I think we (Americans) do a decent job in parking garages and exiting events...the one-for-one kindness merging. Not always a true zipper merge. But get on the highway and see a sign that says "Right Lane Ends Ahead" and the gloves are off.

It's my best approximation of what I-80 would look like if Iowa passed that law and it was enforced!

That doesn’t make any sense. People would pass the driver in front of them and move back over, most likely creating distance in the process. The only way your scenario exists is if every driver on the road has a 2 digit IQ.

I think we (Americans) do a decent job in parking garages and exiting events...the one-for-one kindness merging. Not always a true zipper merge. But get on the highway and see a sign that says "Right Lane Ends Ahead" and the gloves are off.
Ya people here will speed up to close the gap when they see that shit, its so f*cking frustrating. Makes me want to dale earnhardt them into a f*cking wall.

• Haha
That doesn’t make any sense. People would pass the driver in front of them and move back over, most likely creating distance in the process. The only way your scenario exists is if every driver on the road has a 2 digit IQ.
From a traffic engineering perspective it works beautifully. The constant passing on the right creates chaos.

Let's not factor in how many times I get stuck behind someone in the left lane, pass on the right, look over and see this:

young-man-looking-mobile-phone-while-driving-car_231208-835.jpg

Have you been on I-80 in Iowa? It is big rig city and only 2 lanes for the vast majority of it. Not all of the time, but a good chunk of the time, if people actually only used the left lane to pass, the right lane would be a congested nightmare.

Last edited:
Americans 1) like to drive fast, and 2) are always in a hurry, even when they are not in a hurry.

So, get the F**K out of the way!

:cool:

Im perfectly fine letting someone zipper merge if the put on their blinkers sometime after the initial lane closure sign and move over when traffic is still flowing before they get to the very end of their lane lane.

Its the people that race past everybody to the end of their lane and forces their way over that seems to cause traffic to stop

Germans got it.
242633366_1014611562605973_5222052465957051020_n.png
This. Fill the right merge lane completely. I always go to the front on the right side and laugh at those sitting there getting mad at me as I pass them. Imbeciles. The lot of them.

Im perfectly fine letting someone zipper merge if the put on their blinkers sometime after the initial lane closure sign and move over when traffic is still flowing before they get to the very end of their lane lane.

Its the people that race past everybody to the end of their lane and forces their way over that seems to cause traffic to stop
Its also the people that refuse to let people over. It's a 2 way street (pun intended).

Reactions: OutbackBowl2017
Seems stupid to me. If there are two lanes with people obeying the speed limit, you will have twice as much traffic in one lane, and horrible congestion.

I take it you have never driven on the autobahn. Works perfectly...sometimes you are switching lanes every 30 seconds...but definitely works.

And the reality is that it is not so much about being courteous...it helps with accident prevention.

Reactions: goldmom
There is a similar bill working its way through the Iowa legislature. I can appreciate the idea, but I think it would be difficult to enforce. State troopers have much more important things to deal with most of the time, I would think.
Agree. Like all the ahole drivers on their phones in the left lane going at or below the limit. They need to be ticketed for that after all states hopefully pass hands free driving bills.

I was surprised to learn that Florida is the 8th or 9th state to pass such a law. Also surprised that Illinois has such a law. Also, we have passing lanes on 2 lane highways in Iowa. You see signs like below-
ghows-LK-ad2050ff-eb50-4ac4-878e-ebff2043c228-814072ef.jpeg

Florida has had those for years

Tennessee already has the law and it seemed to work just fine. I’ll get another look at it in 2 weeks.

Tell me you've not gotten stuck behind this person driving 63 in a 65 without actually telling me.

even-know-rule-taken-without-838174271.jpg
OMG, when I lived in Florida, all the time. When I visit there for work from time to time, it's worse now. It's about time something was done.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT