ADVERTISEMENT

Florida passes bill to ban left lane driving with few exceptions

I think it'll be unenforceable on congested highways near city centers. All the lanes are full of people. Everyone will say they're attempting to pass.

Now on the open road out in the middle of nowhere? Pistol whip those left lane loungers!

Reactions: Tom Paris
Its also the people that refuse to let people over. It's a 2 way street (pun intended).
I will give you that point if someone makes an attempt to merge before their lane ends and nobody lets them in.

Perfect example as i am coming into downtown cedar rapids from the east on my way home tonite:

right lane closed by railroad tracks. 2 cars in the right lane. One signals right away and is let over and we are able to keep moving at a decent speed without having to slow down drastically or hit the brakes.

The other waits til their lane ends and cuts in front of the car in front of me, causing both of us to hit our brakes and almost come to a stop, slowing down the flow of traffic. If he hit his blinkers, i wouldve taken my foot off the gas to give him room to merge and wouldnt have had a noticeable slowdown in the flow of traffic

Reactions: goldmom
Good luck to Flawda with that one...a state that essentially needs out of state tourists to fund their government...

The best is someone passing going about .1 mph faster than the person in the right lane

I set my cruise at 80...if I am just going a bit faster than car I am passing so be it. I am not setting down my book and putting my hands on the wheel just because some jackass wants to go 100.

• Haha
Reactions: TylerJ23
I set my cruise at 80...if I am just going a bit faster than car I am passing so be it. I am not setting down my book and putting my hands on the wheel just because some jackass wants to go 100.
Well I’m talking about someone going 65.1 passing someone going 65. Get an awful lot of that on Highway 20.

I take it you have never driven on the autobahn. Works perfectly...sometimes you are switching lanes every 30 seconds...but definitely works.

And the reality is that it is not so much about being courteous...it helps with accident prevention.
In a rare admission on HORT, I will admit I have not globe trotted to Germany and driven the autobahn. Whatever the Germans have for going for them, I have not seen it executed in Iowa.

This state has a multitude of problems and the morons in the gerrymandered GQP Florida legislature waste their time with this nonsense. BAU

Germans are very good at following the rules.

To the point of it being weird. I have seen references to that part of their culture being a big part of how Hitler was able to get them to do what they did.

There is a similar bill working its way through the Iowa legislature. I can appreciate the idea, but I think it would be difficult to enforce. State troopers have much more important things to deal with most of the time, I would think.
State Troopers? No, no they don't have more important things to deal with

Good luck to Flawda with that one...a state that essentially needs out of state tourists to fund their government...
We now have about 24 million residents. If the tourists went away I wouldn’t miss them at all. We can pay our bills just fine. 😏

This state has a multitude of problems and the morons in the gerrymandered GQP Florida legislature waste their time with this nonsense. BAU
Tell me you’re a left lane dipshit without telling me you’re a left lane dipshit.
By the way the law passed out of the Senate with 100% yes votes. Both parties. 🙄

Ha! Services? We ain’t got no stinkin services.
Sales tax, miscellaneous taxes. When we go to one of our own beaches and stay at a motel we pay the hotel tax too.

How much are Floridians sucking on the Federal Tit? If you don't need services, you can go it alone.

I get that but the post above said she doesn't care if the tourists come and spend money
I don’t mind if you come or not. What I DO mind is that you decide you like it so much you want to stay.
But there’s hope. More folks are deciding to move elsewhere- like South Carolina.
Or South Alabama. Great beaches and low taxes.

Reactions: PoopandBoogers
I don’t mind if you come or not. What I DO mind is that you decide you like it so much you want to stay.
But there’s hope. More folks are deciding to move elsewhere- like South Carolina.
Or South Alabama. Great beaches and low taxes.
Were you born and raised in Florida?

1. Im perfectly fine letting someone zipper merge if the put on their blinkers sometime after the initial lane closure sign and move over when traffic is still flowing before they get to the very end of their lane lane.

2. Its the people that race past everybody to the end of their lane and forces their way over that seems to cause traffic to stop

1. That’s not zipper merging.

2. That’s where you are supposed to zipper merge - at the end point where two lanes pinch down to one.

Don’t blame them for being one of the few people that are doing it right!

Fight bar!

1. That’s not zipper merging.

2. That’s where you are supposed to zipper merge - at the end point where two lanes pinch down to one.

Don’t blame theme for being one of the few people that are doing it right!

Fight bar!
Zipper merging is inefficient and slows the flow of traffic.

Merge when traffic is flowing instead of grinding two lanes of cars to a complete stop by waiting until to get over when your lane closes.

Gladly fight bar over it

It's my best approximation of what I-80 would look like if Iowa passed that law and it was enforced!
Put toll booths on the Missouri and Mississippi rivers. Out-of-staters will say “screw this, I’m not paying the state of Iowa $10 just to drive through it!”

Zipper merging is inefficient and slows the flow of traffic.

Merge when traffic is flowing instead of grinding two lanes of cars to a complete stop by waiting until to get over when your lane closes.

Gladly fight bar over it

That’s because Americans don’t know how to zipper merge. You end up with one long line, a few people in the other line, and the “enforcer” in the long line that sometimes blocks the other lane.

If they would fill both lanes equally and merge at the merge point, it’s more efficient. Ask any traffic engineer.

Fight bar! Noon today.

I’ll be there earlier than you though because I know how to zipper merge and you will still be hanging out in the middle of the long line!

That’s because Americans don’t know how to zipper merge. You end up with one long line, a few people in the other line, and the “enforcer” in the long line that sometimes blocks the other lane.

If they would fill both lanes equally and merge at the merge point, it’s more efficient. Ask any traffic engineer.

Fight bar! Noon today.

I’ll be there earlier than you though because I know how to zipper merge and you will still be hanging out in the middle of the long line!
I was hoping we could meet at 3 oclock by the bike rack

Reactions: St. Louis Hawk
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT