ADVERTISEMENT

For all you Brian Haters

If iowa is 60-80 in total offense I'd accept it. KF philosophy has always been just don't blow it offense. We don't need to be an offensive machine to be successful with our defense. Below average in how KF likes to play is what needs to happen at Iowa. BF needs to get it done this year to at least that level. Which is not dramatically high. If not go back to being a position coach. He's actually not bad in that role.

Admittedly, a bit of Bri dislike resides here. Feel like he got a raise and new job when his offense was a miserable failure, and often held Hawks back from better results. Special teams and defense deserved better.

That being said, I am only asking for a B average, not the flabbergasting dud of last year.

My rubric...

a score of at least 4/5 on the metric of "Some sense of inventiveness and lack of predictability." Last year, 1.

A score of at least 4/5 on the metric "Some plays hawk fans haven't seen before." Last year, 1.

4/5 on "OL generally controls line of scrimmage." Last year, 1.

4/5 on "An actual running game which opens up the play-action pass." Last year, 1.

4/5 on "A passing game that is a true threat and gets the opposition off the line of scrimmage." Last year, 1.

Baseline for QB: 60% completions and 3 times as many tds as picks.

Don't think I am asking for much beyond mediocrity. We need it to compete for play offs.

While we're at it, bring back a few "New Kirk" trick plays.

P.S. I don't think I am going to see any of this.
So your baseline for QB would require better play than Ricky Stanzi's first two seasons, which include the Orange Bowl winning team; better than Drew Tate's soph (Big Ten Co Champ) season and his senior season; better than CJs senior season and better than Brad Bank's senior season? Even Chuck Long's senior season, where his completion rate was .670 wouldn't have the extraordinary criteria of a 3/1 TD/Int ratio. So you are actually asking for a historic kind of season.

We can win with a slightly higher completion percentage if those 3 or 4 more completions per game are mid to deep completions. Need a higher percent on 3rd downs, of course. The 3-4 more completions is based on Spencer's preinjury play or a different player emerging. Spencer obviously closed the season with an unacceptable level of play.​

So your baseline for QB would require better play than Ricky Stanzi's first two seasons, which include the Orange Bowl winning team; better than Drew Tate's soph (Big Ten Co Champ) season and his senior season; better than CJs senior season and better than Brad Bank's senior season? Even Chuck Long's senior season, where his completion rate was .670 wouldn't have the extraordinary criteria of a 3/1 TD/Int ratio. So you are actually asking for a​

A historic season, indeed! Why not? CJ Stroud threw 44 tds and 6 picks last year. Petras threw 10 tds and 9 picks. If Big Spence could just manage 21 and 7, I suspect we could do more than just win.

Reactions: not_mantiteo
A historic season, indeed! Why not? CJ Stroud threw 44 tds and 6 picks last year. Petras threw 10 tds and 9 picks. If Big Spence could just manage 21 and 7, I suspect we could do more than just win.
Historic by Iowa standards in the last 60 seasons.

I agree, if Spencer throws 21 TDs and just 7 picks Iowa will have ten or eleven wins. We should know after the first three games if that's realistic. Not facing great secondaries.

Kirk would get wood if they did a 99 yard drive and ate up an entire quarter. Kind of like Mich State did to us in that title game.

Reactions: crstuff
Here is the ranking out of the total number of FBS teams based on total offense, and the team's OC for that season.

1999 - ?? (Ken O'Keefe)
2000 - 104/116 (Ken O'Keefe)
2001 - 45/117 (Ken O'Keefe)
2002 - 13/117 (Ken O'Keefe)
2003 - 92/117 (Ken O'Keefe)
2004 - 104/120 (Ken O'Keefe)
2005 - 22/119 (Ken O'Keefe)
2006 - 27/119 (Ken O'Keefe)
2007 - 109/119 (Ken O'Keefe)
2008 - 53/119 (Ken O'Keefe)
2009 - 89/120 (Ken O'Keefe)
2010 - 57/120 (Ken O'Keefe)
2011 - 76/120 (Ken O'Keefe)
2012 - 117/124 (Greg Davis)
2013 - 84/125 (Greg Davis)
2014 - 66/128 (Greg Davis)
2015 - 72/128 (Greg Davis)
2016 - 121/128 (Greg Davis)
2017 - 117/130 (Brian Ferentz)
2018 - 92/130 (Brian Ferentz)
2019 - 99/130 (Brian Ferentz)
2020 - 88/128 (Brian Ferentz)
2021 - 124/130 (Brian Ferentz)
It took a global pandemic, but he did crack the top 90!!

Historic by Iowa standards in the last 60 seasons.

I agree, if Spencer throws 21 TDs and just 7 picks Iowa will have ten or eleven wins. We should know after the first three games if that's realistic. Not facing great secondaries.
Doubtful imo. Unless they crap the bed, we won't really know about this offense until October. Our September schedule is really weak...

I can already see the..."see I told you Petras/bf are great" posts in a few weeks lol. We all know we can score vs bad teams. Im not even sure if ISU will have a decent defense this year, maybe some ISU fan will chime in on that...?

Reactions: not_mantiteo
Obviously obvious opinion here but I want an offensive that is at least somewhat entertaining in the game script. More importantly, and I am aware this could come off as selfish, but really want to have som confidence that when the offense needs a score, the line will block, the QB will execute, the RB will hit the hole, the WRs will catch the ball and the OC will call a decent play.
Last season those facets were 50/50 at best. Need improvements and the reality is that it starts at the top with the OC.

Reactions: Ronman
"It's easy to grin...when your ship comes in...and you got the stock market beat...but a man worth while...is the man who can smile...when his shorts aren't too tight in the seat."
"Go ahead, Pookie"

"I christen thee...The Flying Wasp!"

• Haha
Reactions: rfgiowa
Tip of the cap to the people bold enough to quantify their expectations. The rest will either jump on the bandwagon or more than likely just keep b*tching about it. Grow a pair, set your stake in the ground. ‘Gee we will have to see how the season goes’ nice work

Doubtful imo. Unless they crap the bed, we won't really know about this offense until October. Our September schedule is really weak...

I can already see the..."see I told you Petras/bf are great" posts in a few weeks lol. We all know we can score vs bad teams. Im not even sure if ISU will have a decent defense this year, maybe some ISU fan will chime in on that...?
Should be decent, some new faces and as key players moved on (draft, out of eligibility, transfer portal). I'd say probably not as good as last year, but decent.

Not a Brian hater. Somewhere on the fence because I do feel he is handcuffed somewhat by Kirk's conservative philosophy. He's had games of brilliance (USC '19 and OSU '17 off the top of my head) and games that make me shake my head.

If we had a terrible defense, my expectations would be different. We'd need to score 40 to win. Thankfully we don't have a terrible defense. We need less from our offense. Kirk doesn't need to risk 40 passes a game. You could argue passing 40 times isn't that risky if your offense can back it up, but we're not winning that argument with KF.

Having said all that:
*above 60% passing completion
*30 ppg (including defense tds and great field position opportunities we get from TOs)
*400 ypg
*32/28 TOP
*4-5 down field throws per game. I don't even care if they are complete... check that, I do care, I just think you have to go for a homerun at least a few times in a game, especially when teams have 8 within 8 yards of the LOS as often as they do.
Not a Brian hater. Somewhere on the fence because I do feel he is handcuffed somewhat by Kirk's conservative philosophy. He's had games of brilliance (USC '19 and OSU '17 off the top of my head) and games that make me shake my head.

Does anyone know for sure if this is real? I get that KF's philosophy is more ball control, but I find it really hard to believe that KF wants a completely dead offense on the field which is what we've had. This argument is really just meant to protect Brian and I don't find it to be a particularly good one. I really don't see KF telling Brian, "Hey, don't try to be cute and get first downs. We are a defense first team with good special teams, I don't want a damn offense with a heartbeat who might try to be sexy and score anything other than field goals! We are Iowa, remember that!".

I think if Iowa gets back this year into the top 50 in offensive efficiency I will be happy with the improvements from last year. But I expect to make another jump the next year

just to counterpoint the circle jerk of hatred

Iowa's record with Offense Coordinators:

Ken O'Keefe (13 seasons)
96-66
59% win percentage

Greg Davis (5 seasons)
39-26
60% win percentage

Brian Ferentz (5 seasons)
43-18
70% win percentage

---------------

if you don't like these 3 guys... you don't like Iowa Hawkeye football.
I'm a big fan of the Pro Style Offense
and I'm a big fan of Brian Ferentz.

"He was officially promoted to tight ends coach in 2011; that season, the Patriots' tight end duo of Aaron Hernandez and Rob Gronkowski set NFL records for receptions, yards, and touchdowns by tight ends, and Gronkowski became the first tight end in NFL history to lead the league in touchdown receptions."

in 2012 Brian Ferentz took over as O-Line coach for the Hawkeyes..
and in 2015 Iowa won the Joe Moore award for best offensive line in college football.

now.. Iowa has won 10 games 2 of the last 3 seasons.
and imo, it would be 3 straight 10 win season if it were not for ... well, you know.

but regardless... that's 3 straight seasons winning 70+% of the games played.
the last time this was accomplished was from 2002 - 2004

which btw... is when Brian Ferentz played on the Offensive Line for the Iowa Hawkeyes.

the man is a legend who is building his legend year after year
should the Iowa Hawkeyes win the Big Ten Championship game this year.
he's the next Head Coach... no question about it.

and Iowa elevates to a new level on the National scene..
this isn't politics.. as some of you suppose.. this is football... its a game
and the Iowa Hawkeyes are the team you root for.
so why not look at the positives?

imagine going through life always looking at the negatives
how miserable that must be

The last 8 games of the year Iowa only threw 3 total touchdown passes. And Spencer Petras only threw one of those. Yes we won those games but I would start there trying to improve that.

Reactions: pink shizzle
The last 8 games of the year Iowa only threw 3 total touchdown passes. And Spencer Petras only threw one of those. Yes we won those games but I would start there trying to improve that.
We were a .500 team to end the year 4-4.
And the wins we're close wins vs decent to poor opponents.

Reactions: ShonnDeereGreene
just to counterpoint the circle jerk of hatred

Iowa's record with Offense Coordinators:

Ken O'Keefe (13 seasons)
96-66
59% win percentage

Greg Davis (5 seasons)
39-26
60% win percentage

Brian Ferentz (5 seasons)
43-18
70% win percentage

---------------

if you don't like these 3 guys... you don't like Iowa Hawkeye football.
I'm a big fan of the Pro Style Offense
and I'm a big fan of Brian Ferentz.

"He was officially promoted to tight ends coach in 2011; that season, the Patriots' tight end duo of Aaron Hernandez and Rob Gronkowski set NFL records for receptions, yards, and touchdowns by tight ends, and Gronkowski became the first tight end in NFL history to lead the league in touchdown receptions."

in 2012 Brian Ferentz took over as O-Line coach for the Hawkeyes..
and in 2015 Iowa won the Joe Moore award for best offensive line in college football.

now.. Iowa has won 10 games 2 of the last 3 seasons.
and imo, it would be 3 straight 10 win season if it were not for ... well, you know.

but regardless... that's 3 straight seasons winning 70+% of the games played.
the last time this was accomplished was from 2002 - 2004

which btw... is when Brian Ferentz played on the Offensive Line for the Iowa Hawkeyes.

the man is a legend who is building his legend year after year
should the Iowa Hawkeyes win the Big Ten Championship game this year.
he's the next Head Coach... no question about it.

and Iowa elevates to a new level on the National scene..
this isn't politics.. as some of you suppose.. this is football... its a game
and the Iowa Hawkeyes are the team you root for.
so why not look at the positives?

imagine going through life always looking at the negatives
how miserable that must be
Ohhhhhhhh, but ya gotta win sexy and modern and score a bunch. They hate this 1970s style team. Even if we win every game by 1 point they would be like we shoulda outa done this instead!!!!

Reactions: F5n5
This "hater" crap is so lame. It's hard to believe how intellectually bankrupt this society has become. Don't like how so and so does their job? You must be a hater. Think that someone is less than effective and that better options exist? You must be hater.

Give me a fu#%king break. Criticism, well constructed or not, isn't a reflection of hatred. The use of critical thinking skills doesn't automatically infer a hatred of someone or something. Anti-semitism is hate. Criticism of the people responsible for one of the worst offenses in college football isn't.

This "hater" crap is so lame. It's hard to believe how intellectually bankrupt this society has become. Don't like how so and so does their job? You must be a hater. Think that someone is less than effective and that better options exist? You must be hater.

Give me a fu#%king break. Criticism, well constructed or not, isn't a reflection of hatred. The use of critical thinking skills doesn't automatically infer a hatred of someone or something. Anti-semitism is hate. Criticism of the people responsible for one of the worst offenses in college football isn't.
Well said! I agree 100%!

I think it's unfair to use any metric of total yard percentile ranking when discussing the Iowa offense. With the style of play we use (bend but dont break defense and slow methodical ball control offense) we are already at a big disadvantage compared to those that dont. It says nothing about efficiency. Look at Nebraska, always high in total yards between the 20s but cant win games. It's all about efficiency. Reminds me of Wisconsin basketball, slow methodical, plodding offense but is still very effective.

Points per possession/drive should be the biggest statistic that matters for us. It's the "complimentary football" that Kirk talks about repeatedly. I think almost every other stat can be thrown out the window (especially yards per game, passing/rushing/total etc.) We were not good at all last year (104th) and that is unacceptable. This absolutely needs to improve. At least our defense ranked 9th though!

You need to get a thicker skin like Brian!

Reactions: F5n5
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT