ADVERTISEMENT

Fran McCaffery Recruiting, His Eye for Talent and Player Development

Highest rated recruits on our team are Fran’s sons. Pretty much nobody wanted any of our guys. Makes it even sweeter!

Very impressive indeed! (The "Fire Fran - The Worst Coach in the B10" is pretty quiet right now.)

Haters are gonna hate, but I don't think setting reasonable expectations is hating.

Based on ~50 years of Iowa B-ball since Lute, expecting a >0.500 B1G record over a coaching career at Iowa is reasonabe. Iowa is ~5th in B1G sports revenues/spending and has a recruiting advantage over ISU in its home state and is situated reasonably close several midwest metro areas for recruiting.

Expecting a a BTT title once every 12 years seems reasonable. Expecting a ncaa sweet16 once every 12 years is also reasonable.

A regular season conference title looks to be a stretch goal because that hasn't happened fo 42 years at Iowa and only happened with a Hall of Fame ncaa coach Lute Olson.

The fact that Fran can achieve the BTT and maybe sweet16 in his 12th year is great news. Fran has some work to do to get to an elite level of a Bo Ryan or Gene Keady or Matt Painter or Ralph Miller or Lute Olson or Tom Izzo, but he looks to be comparable to Tom Davis.

Reactions: nck24
Aaron White didn’t come close to NPOTY, but he certainly took off after coming to Iowa given his high school ranking. Fran has done a phenomenal job developing the talent he’s landed.

Players who come to Iowa are going to score points.

It's interesting how many of his players are on the Iowa All Time Scoring List.

1 Luka Garza...2,306 (4 yrs: 2018-2021, 127 GP, .546 FG%, 18.2 ppg; 120 three pt goals)

3 Jordan Bohannon...2,027 (5+ yrs: 2017-2019, 10 games in 2020 + 2021 & 2022; 178 GP, .390 FG%, 11.4 ppg; 453 three pt goals)

4 Aaron White...1,859 (4 yrs: 2012-2015, 140 GP, .517 FG%, 13.3 ppg; 61 three pt goals)

8 Roy Devyn Marble...1,694 (4 yrs: 2011-2014; 136 GP, .415 FG%, 12.5 ppg; 134 three pt goals)

10 Matt Gatens...1,635 (4 yrs: 2009-2012; 128 GP, .415 FG%, 12.8 ppg; 239 three pt goals)

17 Peter Jok...1,508 (4 yrs: 2014-2017, 125 GP, .413 FG%, 12.1 ppg, 216 three pt goals)

22 Tyler Cook...1,315 (3 yrs: 2017-2019, 93 GP, .542 FG%, 14.1 ppg; 3 three pt goals)

23 Jarrod Uthoff...1,298 (3 yrs: 2014-2016, 100 GP, .450 FG%, 13.0 ppg; 137 three pt goals)

24 Joe Wieskamp...1,283 (3 yrs: 2019-2021, 97 GP, .467 FG%, 13.2 ppg; 184 three pt goals)

Here's another fun fact:

In the last 9 seasons, Iowa has had a player named first-team all-Big Ten 7 times.

In the previous 26 years (dating to the beginning of the Tom Davis era), Iowa only had 6 seasons with a player achieving that honor.
Kind of lines up with those guys on the scorers list. The leagues top scorers often end up on that list, and Frans guys score points.

Haters are gonna hate, but I don't think setting reasonable expectations is hating.

Based on ~50 years of Iowa B-ball since Lute, expecting a >0.500 B1G record over a coaching career at Iowa is reasonabe. Iowa is ~5th in B1G sports revenues/spending and has a recruiting advantage over ISU in its home state and is situated reasonably close several midwest metro areas for recruiting.

Expecting a a BTT title once every 12 years seems reasonable. Expecting a ncaa sweet16 once every 12 years is also reasonable.

A regular season conference title looks to be a stretch goal because that hasn't happened fo 42 years at Iowa and only happened with a Hall of Fame ncaa coach Lute Olson.

The fact that Fran can achieve the BTT and maybe sweet16 in his 12th year is great news. Fran has some work to do to get to an elite level of a Bo Ryan or Gene Keady or Matt Painter or Ralph Miller or Lute Olson or Tom Izzo, but he looks to be comparable to Tom Davis.

Ive got to ask because I read multiple posts from you about 5th in the B1G for revenue/spending. How much of that is allocated to men’s bb and how does that compare to the rest of the B1G?

Also have to laugh at the instate recruiting advantage. Iowa’s recruiting base is one of the worst in the B1G. Even picked the worst by B1G coaches several years back.

And he took over a program that was all but dead, not one supplied with great Raveling recruits and on a relative roll. Apples to oranges.

Let's see where we go from here. Iowa has just come through 3 of the best years of McC's tenure, and he has recruiting mojo right now. He can truthfully say he has coached players at the NPOY level 3 years in a row, and has a couple more coming up. The future looks the brightest that is has since the early Davis years.

Ive got to ask because I read multiple posts from you about 5th in the B1G for revenue/spending. How much of that is allocated to men’s bb and how does that compare to the rest of the B1G?

Also have to laugh at the instate recruiting advantage. Iowa’s recruiting base is one of the worst in the B1G. Even picked the worst by B1G coaches several years back.
Besides which ISU basically makes no effort to recruit Iowa high schools anyway......

Besides which ISU basically makes no effort to recruit Iowa high schools anyway......

The advantage Iowa has is that previous ISU coaches didn’t focus on instate recruits. When they did, they could pull in when they wanted (Foster).

I’m guessing here, but a lot of that was because there isn’t a lot of instate talent year after year, not because Iowa has it locked down.

I will say that Fran has done a good job of securing the borders bringing in the state’s best.

ISU did land the #1 recruit in Iowa,Lipsey, this year.
Drake landed the #1 recruit,Devries, last year.
Even Nebraska has produced some top players like Wisky s Hepburn and the 5 star kid who went to gonzaga last year.
Iowa is last in the league in recruiting base.

Reactions: iahawks10
Even Nebraska has produced some top players like Wisky s Hepburn and the 5 star kid who went to gonzaga last year.
Whatever.

Iowa got their TOP PG in Bowen, a bigger recruit than Lipsey, and lipsey btw didn’t even have an iowa offer.

devries went to play for his dad.

Iowa is now and will remain the top dog in the state for basketball recruiting, just like it has been for football.

Kind of lines up with those guys on the scorers list. The leagues top scorers often end up on that list, and Frans guys score points.
Yepper. Fran likes his Offense. His teams are entertaining if nothing else IMO.

You would think that would lead to being able to land more blue chip scoring types, but that doesn't appear to be in the cards to the degree that it could be.

The late season emergence of Tony Perkins, coupled with instant offense in Payton Sandfort is going to take over a huge scoring role after Keegan turns pro. Kris Murray is your likely next 1st Team All Big Ten Hawkeye, and if he doesn't get there Sandfort will IMO. He's a cold blooded assassin and Iowa's next "microwave" IMO. He seems to be learning that every time you touch the ball doesn't mean you need to shoot it, but I love that he's willing to take it no matter what. The fact that he's a really good shooter is just a bonus.

I would still feel much better about next year's team if they could pull in a bonafide rim protector and rebounder in the portal, but either way this team is in good shape, I think...........

What your saying is there were no top recruits in Iowa this year. Devries was never going to Iowa OR ISU....

Poor Gonzaga. They've only pulled in at least 3 Midwest 5 stars in the last few years.

Considering the damage that had been done to Iowa BB and recruiting prior to FM taking over and that FM doesn't cheat and run off players, recovering from the abyss took time. I think we're seeing the fruits of FM's diligence and persistence now, and things may even get better, especially if we can make a run in the NCAA tourney. While I respect Dr. Tom, he inherited a loaded roster. IMO comparing FM's and TD's entire Iowa record isn't fair.

And can't you just give the guy some credit? About the only positive thing you said was, "The fact that Fran can achieve the BTT and maybe sweet 16 in his 12th year is great news." Who guided this team to this BTT? In your next sentence you say, "Fran has some work to do..." Geez. Can you just give credit where credit is due?

Here's another fun fact:

In the last 9 seasons, Iowa has had a player named first-team all-Big Ten 7 times.

In the previous 26 years (dating to the beginning of the Tom Davis era), Iowa only had 6 seasons with a player achieving that honor.

Fran McCaffery
2014: Dev Marble
2015: Aaron White
2016: Jarrod Uthoff
2017: Peter Jok
2020: Luka Garza
2021: Luka Garza
2022: Keegan Murray

Steve Alford
2006: Greg Brunner
2007: Adam Haluska

Tom Davis
1989: Ed Horton
1992: Acie Earl
1996: Jess Settles
1996: Andre Woolridge
1997: Andre Woolridge

I’m really happy for Fran and his family, a very nice ending to the season.

it also gets the 5-10 BTT monkey off his back (and before this comment is labeled ‘Fran Hater‘, it was a point of discussion on every BIG Network talking head show, as it was a cloud seen by all)

that’s said, I’m happy for Fran and hope it can land an Impact portal player

expecting any specific outcome, is not reasonable. Expecting to be competitive is reasonable

Let's be honest, he still has work to do on recruiting guards and wings. With the offense we run we should be able to recruit more dynamic guys and we will, but it needs upgrading. BTW, the haters will be back after the Fran love fest dies down unless we get to the final 4 and probably then too.

Reactions: BBHawk
Considering the damage that had been done to Iowa BB and recruiting prior to FM taking over and that FM doesn't cheat and run off players, recovering from the abyss took time. I think we're seeing the fruits of FM's diligence and persistence now, and things may even get better, especially if we can make a run in the NCAA tourney. While I respect Dr. Tom, he inherited a loaded roster. IMO comparing FM's and TD's entire Iowa record isn't fair.

And can't you just give the guy some credit? About the only positive thing you said was, "The fact that Fran can achieve the BTT and maybe sweet 16 in his 12th year is great news." Who guided this team to this BTT? In your next sentence you say, "Fran has some work to do..." Geez. Can you just give credit where credit is due?
No doubt, he deserves the credit for a BTT. And if they make it past the first weekend of the NCAA, even more. He has the team most ready to do damage in the tournament of any in his time at Iowa.

Yes, Fran has been diligent and his approach (backed by Iowa) is that they aren't going to cheat and aren't going to run guys off. The reason for the success this year is they have a great player and a bunch of other guys who are very good complements to that player, and none of them seems to care who scores or who gets the credit. Keegan Murray is the most impactful Iowa player in my lifetime since at least Ronnie Lester, and it could be argued he's more impactful. Garza was great, but Murray is a great defender, turned into a great shooter before our eyes, willing passer, etc.

Here's hoping the team can get close to the same level they played at in the BTT. They will be very had to beat if so.

Let's be honest, he still has work to do on recruiting guards and wings. With the offense we run we should be able to recruit more dynamic guys and we will, but it needs upgrading. BTW, the haters will be back after the Fran love fest dies down unless we get to the final 4 and probably then too.
Yeah, we have to remember before the tournament starts that we’re only seeded to win one game. If things play out that way people here won’t be happy. This team is built to do some damage though, so hopefully we play above our seed.

Fran lost the National Player of the Year. He also lost Jack Nunge and CJ Fredrick.

Mike Hall is in awe of the job Fran did this year.

Watch:

Reactions: Torg
Fran has been quoted at least one time saying that he knows how to build a roster.

Isaac is a National College Basketball Writer.

Current 2023-2024 Roster (12 on scholarship; 1 Scholarship Available):

Freshmen: 4 players

6'10" C Owen Freeman
6'0" PG Brock Harding
6'7" PF Pryce Sandfort
6'8" PF Ladji Dembele

Sophomores: 2 players

6'3" PG Dasonte Bowen
6'5" SG Josh Dix

Juniors: 3 players

6'7" F Payton Sandfort
6'11" C Riley Mulvey
6'9" F/C Even Brauns

Seniors: 3 players

6'4" G Tony Perkins
6'9" SF Patrick McCaffery
6'9" F Ben Krikke

I like Krikke and Brauns, even if they don't blow your socks off when you watch them. They appear to be athletic inside workhorses - the type that does pretty well at Iowa.

But I think most everyone agrees that the "outside" guys (pos 1,2,3) need to step up.

I looked at last years combined stats (B1G only) for Perk, CMac, PMac, Sandfort, Dix and Ulis. Yes, I know a couple won't be back.

As a group, they averaged 46.2 points on 40.9% shooting (35.9% from 3), 12.3 assts vs 5.9 turnovers.

Since they are all "offensive" guys, that's a pretty average - poor stat line for that group IMO.

A similar group the previous year (JBo, Perk, JoeT, PMac, CMac , Ulis, Sandfort) were remarkably similar in all but points - they only managed 31.3 points per game. Ugh.

The Hawks badly need the guards and small forwards to step up as a group. And, of course, no help coming from the portal!

Reactions: Torg and Mohawkeye

Never did get a response from Logic, so I’ll answer my own question.

In 2022, Iowa was 9th in the B1G in basketball expenses (without NW reporting). Which was 6.7% of the athletic spending.

2021: Iowa was 10th
2020: Iowa was 6th but still spent below the B1G average.
2019: Iowa was 11th
2018: Iowa was 9th.

Here is how Iowa finished in the B1G during these same years.

2022: 4th vs 9th in spending
2021: 3rd vs 10th in spending
2020: 5th vs 6th in spending
2019: 6th vs 11th in spending
2018: 11th vs 9th in spending

In 2022, Iowa was 19th in the country (6th in the B1G) for operating revenue for all sports. They were 13th in the country (5th in the B1G) for operating expenses. Iowa is making money and spending it. As I suspected, only a small amount of that is going back to basketball.

Reactions: hawk-i bob
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT