ADVERTISEMENT

Fran yelling profanity at the refs after the game

For waving off the ref? That’s worse than holtmann calling him a mother****er?

Connor deserved his T, just like Holtman probably deserved to get thrown out of the game in the first half. The referees may have done a bad job tonight (my opinion was they were pretty bad), but in general refs don't want to call T's on players or coaches. Holtman was way over the line in the first half and should have been T'ed up way before he was. And Connor waving his hand dismissively at the ref deserved a T, it was a punk move.

If the story about Fran yelling expletives at the ref in the hallway after the game is true, Fran it looking at least at a 1-game ban, if not more.

Reactions: jellyfish10
I'm watching the replay now and at 8:45 left 1st half Kaleb Wesson picked up his second foul, went to the bench, and Holtmann is screaming "That's the second bull---t foul! That's the second bull---t foul!" Wesson must be "off limits" or something. Anyway, no T. He got a pass.
I believe he did get a T. When they came back from break Bohannon was on line shooting technical. Like someone said Wesson was not called for another foul after that.

I believe he did get a T. When they came back from break Bohannon was on line shooting technical. Like someone said Wesson was not called for another foul after that.

He did get a T but it was later in the half. The coach did not get T’d up for saying “that’s a BS call” then warned and then said it two more times. Wesson was not called for another foul the rest of the game either. He ended the game with two personals.

He did get a T but it was later in the half. The coach did not get T’d up for saying “that’s a BS call” then warned and then said it two more times. Wesson was not called for another foul the rest of the game either. He ended the game with two personals.

It really is amazing the restraint the refs show these days in not T'ing coaches up. It's probably best, as they don't want to impact the games by handing out T's. But yes, I was stunned Holtman wasn't lit up after that outburst. The way the coaches are allowed to act toward officials is ridiculous in general. Yes, the refereeing needs to improve. Somehow the NBA has fixed this, not sure what the answer is for the college game.

Reactions: jellyfish10
Anyone know which of the officials T’d up Connor and Fran? Didn’t watch the game, but when I read about it, I thought right away, “sounds like Paul Szelc”. And sure enough, I see he did the game.

He gave Pat Chambers his only T last season, and T’d up Beilein twice in State College at halftime a few weeks ago to eject him.

It was McJunkins.

Right, don't know why Fran would choose tonight to go on a rant. It wasn't the refs that cost us the game. The buckeyes played really well, and we showed a total lack of interest in playing defense. Very few of the Hawks looked decent tonight, most played poorly. OSU was clearly the more motivated team tonight. Fran looks silly complaining about the refs on a night like this. So, does Fran get suspended or fined now ?

Did you watch the game? Maybe they weren't 20 points bad, but Ohio State was allowed to do whatever they wanted defensively, including bumping Iowa players on most shots, also when dribbling up top. When Iowa shoots 10 less free throws in the game, and is called for more fouls, it makes a difference. When a team is held/bumped when trying to run an offense, or bumped on most shots down low, then this means refs are controlling the game. There were many times where Iowa made shots down low that could have been and 1's.

Playing on the road in the Big Ten is tough already, but it seems a lot of teams get shafted on the road by officials. There is no accountability for the officials.

I hope Fran apologizes to McJunkins because he will be one of the officials in Chicago. Also we will probably have at least one more time in the regular season.

The refs were not that bad, OSU was just on fire and I couldn’t make a basket. Also Iowa’s effort on defense was down right pitiful.

I hope Fran apologizes to McJunkins because he will be one of the officials in Chicago. Also we will probably have at least one more time in the regular season.

The refs were not that bad, OSU was just on fire and I couldn’t make a basket. Also Iowa’s effort on defense was down right pitiful.

You know damn well McJunkins will be one of the refs for the Iowa game in the Big Ten Tournament. The Big Ten isn't stupid.

Reactions: SotaHawk87
If the story about Fran yelling expletives at the ref in the hallway after the game is true, Fran it looking at least at a 1-game ban, if not more.

Doubtful,... over the course of the season you'd have to impose a ban on every coach in the Big 10....

And collected a dozen and ones

Yes, oh my, what will we do? Really? Get out of the house much? Watch any other games much? Please stfu!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I wonder if Dolph will pile on Fran like Fran piled on Dolph when something was heard that wasn’t meant to be.

Reactions: TailgateTom
Really? Those are a disgrace? We're 21-7, have turned things around in a huge way from last year and we are in the top half of the toughest top to bottom conference in the country and the coach is a disgrace?

I heard somewhere that this is 5 of the last 7 he's gotten this team to 20 wins....one of the two was the 19 win season where we didn't get to 20....

This performance was frustrating and painful....but the loss was not unexpected.

Be careful Perryhawk.....just a heads up but Blackngoldbleeder spouts off and then gets pissed off and won't finish watching a game because of refs. Then admit he was wrong but then turn around and say I don't care what you say. fyi I enjoy some of his posts but not sure where he stands sometimes.

If Fran thinks the refs have been against the Hawks, he ain’t seen nuttin yet. Last night he signed Iowa’s death warrant as far as officiating goes.

Reactions: kcgolfer
Did you watch the game? Maybe they weren't 20 points bad, but Ohio State was allowed to do whatever they wanted defensively, including bumping Iowa players on most shots, also when dribbling up top. When Iowa shoots 10 less free throws in the game, and is called for more fouls, it makes a difference. When a team is held/bumped when trying to run an offense, or bumped on most shots down low, then this means refs are controlling the game. There were many times where Iowa made shots down low that could have been and 1's.

Playing on the road in the Big Ten is tough already, but it seems a lot of teams get shafted on the road by officials. There is no accountability for the officials.
Wrong...Bohannen got away with an obvious charge that went Iowa's way, and there were plenty going both ways. The officials were not the reason Iowa got beat.

You know damn well McJunkins will be one of the refs for the Iowa game in the Big Ten Tournament. The Big Ten isn't stupid.

Iowa hasn’t fared well this year when Szelc and/or McJunkins officiated the game. Probably just a coincidence, right?

McJunkins an Ohio native and officiates OSU game. No bias there. Is it true that he called 8 of the 11 calls in last 8 minutes of which 6 of those 8 were against Iowa and 2 T’s within a minute. He was making damn sure OSU covered. He is a cheating sob. Big ten should investigate refs more. They need to be held in check.

McJunkins an Ohio native and officiates OSU game. No bias there. Is it true that he called 8 of the 11 calls in last 8 minutes of which 6 of those 8 were against Iowa and 2 T’s within a minute. He was making damn sure OSU covered. He is a cheating sob. Big ten should investigate refs more. They need to be held in check.

I’m not sure about all of that but I do know that every time McJunkins has officiated and Iowa game this year we have shot less FT’s than our average each time. 14, 18, 19, and 21 respectively.

First off, I don't blame the officials for the loss last night:
However, the officials gave a warning for Ohio State ref cussing at them in first half, but yet, that was a pretty quick technical on Fran for nothing noticeable on multiple replays.
The officials called more fouls on Iowa than Ohio State despite extremely physical defense.
Why was it not reviewed the Ohio State player throwing a shoulder into Connors head?
The last 4-5 games have all been officiated poorly against Iowa.

In the end, I'm perfectly fine with Fran ripping the officials a new one in the hallway. Better than on the court like he would have in previous years, but this garbage officiating has got to stop against Iowa on the road AND at home.

The one thing about Iowa and officiating is that loose officiating affects us more than other teams. We tend to recruit skilled players, not high-end athletes. If athletic teams are allowed to get handsy and play defense with a lot of contact, it's going to stifle us in a way that it doesn't effect other teams as much. We ultimately need to increase our athleticism while still sprinkling in skilled offensive basketball players.

If Fran thinks the refs have been against the Hawks, he ain’t seen nuttin yet. Last night he signed Iowa’s death warrant as far as officiating goes.

Yup, his outburst will be included in the game report. All officials and supervisors of officials see those reports. So if your expecting Iowa to get a close call down the stretch your dreaming.

Fran has to learn you can’t act like that. I get it Izzo/Coach K and others act like that. But those guys also have multiple championships and have been in their respective leagues for 20+ years. They also know when/when not to have an outburst! It’s knowing/understanding the situation.

Reactions: BlackNGoldBleeder
First off, I don't blame the officials for the loss last night:
However, the officials gave a warning for Ohio State ref cussing at them in first half, but yet, that was a pretty quick technical on Fran for nothing noticeable on multiple replays.
The officials called more fouls on Iowa than Ohio State despite extremely physical defense.
Why was it not reviewed the Ohio State player throwing a shoulder into Connors head?
The last 4-5 games have all been officiated poorly against Iowa.

In the end, I'm perfectly fine with Fran ripping the officials a new one in the hallway. Better than on the court like he would have in previous years, but this garbage officiating has got to stop against Iowa on the road AND at home.

I saw someone on twitter post they heard what Fran said to get the technical, he said "That is a foul, that is an and 1" on the play where Baer I think made a basket and it looked like he got fouled. As hawks were running back after that basket, he got T'd up. Sorry I don't have the link.

The one thing about Iowa and officiating is that loose officiating affects us more than other teams. We tend to recruit skilled players, not high-end athletes. If athletic teams are allowed to get handsy and play defense with a lot of contact, it's going to stifle us in a way that it doesn't effect other teams as much. We ultimately need to increase our athleticism while still sprinkling in skilled offensive basketball players.

Yup, but we are bringing in a 6-9 175lb wing! The complete opposite of athletic wing. Joe T will help with the athleticism of the team and his ability to defend will help immensely!

Reactions: dawgs_04
Wrong...Bohannen got away with an obvious charge that went Iowa's way, and there were plenty going both ways. The officials were not the reason Iowa got beat.

I said it probably wasn't 20 points bad, but enough calls, or lack of calls, can snowball. Saying I'm flat out wrong is hilarious. I've seen enough games, and played enough games to know how officiating and momentum works. Also, its Bohannon.

Reactions: LUC8 and SCKCtb93
Ya, Fran's strategy for working/managing da officials works for a Bobby Knight, but not a for Fran. :)

Barta may want to suspend Fran, instead of Dolph. Emberrassing. :)

I saw someone on twitter post they heard what Fran said to get the technical, he said "That is a foul, that is an and 1" on the play where Baer I think made a basket and it looked like he got fouled. As hawks were running back after that basket, he got T'd up. Sorry I don't have the link.

If true, so pathetic. And Fran is right, it should’ve been an and 1

Yup, his outburst will be included in the game report. All officials and supervisors of officials see those reports. So if your expecting Iowa to get a close call down the stretch your dreaming.

Fran has to learn you can’t act like that. I get it Izzo/Coach K and others act like that. But those guys also have multiple championships and have been in their respective leagues for 20+ years. They also know when/when not to have an outburst! It’s knowing/understanding the situation.

This is spot on.

It's not right but it's the way it is. Fran doesn't have enough juice to work the officials and has a history of losing control. Not a recipe for endearing yourself to the stripes.

It's a miracle he's gone other games without getting a T.

Reactions: HaydenHawk8
So, saying Dailey sucks and Fernando was King Kong on the boards which are both true statements gets you suspended (and probably fired)….but we're cool with losing control and telling the refs they are "cheating MF'ers" and "a disgrace" in an arena full of people after your team failed to throw a punch...

Is that really where we're at?

Gary Barta logic at its finest...…...

This is spot on.

It's not right but it's the way it is. Fran doesn't have enough juice to work the officials and has a history of losing control. Not a recipe for endearing yourself to the stripes.

It's a miracle he's gone other games without getting a T.

The more veteran officials know Fran and they give him a pretty long leash. McJunkins and company last night (I think McJunkins was the most veteran) decided to pull/tighten the leash on Fran/Connor.

Regardless officiating did not cost Iowa the game. Not even close.

Reactions: BlackNGoldBleeder
What's interesting is that his cussing out the refs in the tunnel is all over the national news.......ESPN, KC Star, SI.....even the NY Post.

Cussing at the refs? No never. Sort of like Holtman was during the game.

Anyways the refs aren’t the ones who didn’t play defense.

Every coach in the BIG can cuss like sailors, watch their lips sometime. Even the choir boy Beilein got tossed for a double T. I can assure you he did tell the ref I like you. The F word generally gets you tossed.

Fran got his first T of the year, has been much better controlling his temper. For what it's worth, the fix was in early. They club Garza two or three times, even nocking him down, no call. Sad

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT