ADVERTISEMENT

Fran yelling profanity at the refs after the game

I think this team is mentally weak. I'm merely spitballing like you are for reasons.
Officiating in the B1G Ten is bad and they just might have an ax to grind with Fran.

I still think the problem is systemic.
I don’t think they are mentally weak. Maintaining the success this team was experiencing earlier on is difficult to do in a league this deep (which unfortunately will not be reflected in the number of teams selected to the tournament). Especially when this team consists primarily of guys who don’t know what it’s like to have the target on their back. For Indiana and Ohio State, the Iowa game was absolutely crucial for their tournament chances, in terms of beating a ranked opponent, and both gave Iowa their best shot.

Only time will tell, still several games left in the regular season, plus the BTT and NCAAs. We should see how they finish out the season and what will be a trip to the tourney (which was the goal for most on the board this year) before resuming the “time to move on from Fran talk” - just my opinion

B1G officials are bad and something needs to be done about it. Holtman was going nuts in the first half and got a T. Fran kept his composure until he had seen enough of the crap calls that took place in the second half w/ Conner and Baer.

His blowing up in the tunnel was about the next game. Basically, you f me this game, I expect better results next game.

Weimer, Green, and Simpson shouldn’t get to ref another B1G game. They are terrible and don’t deserve to call B1G games. Yes, I know Simpson didn’t call this game but the Indiana game was a travesty. It’s time for Jim Delaney to hire year round officials to call Football, Basketball, baseball games and fill in women’s sports as well. It should be mandated the B1G has the best non biased officials calling all games as it’s beyond reproach. And if they are bad, they are gone. Move in a ref that is good and deserves a chance to call B1G games.

To be fair, the stuff hit the fan with the refs when Conor was called for a moving screen which was the result of an OSU player running right into him and Conor lifted his arms to absorb the blow. Then Conor takes a shoulder to the face and gets called for a foul. Gets t'd up. Then Baer gets body checked at the rim with no call despite having 2 phantom fouls called in him earlier in the half when OSU was son a stretch of 8 straight possessions of getting 3 points on either and 1s or 3s (phantom because Baer wasn't playing any defense let alone tight enough to foul). Fran must have used a magic word because he wasn't all that demonstrative in what he said.

And it must have been pretty magical because the OSU says “that’s BS, that’s BS”. Then gets a warning and he says “that’s BS, that’s BS” after.

what if Fran did say that... and what if he is right?
are you gonna side with Fran or the ref that cheats?

think about it... if the refs were cheating... would they ever get in trouble for it?

has there ever been an NCAA official busted for cheating?

players and coaches get busted for cheating... but never the officials?

Reactions: Capital1Hawk
what if Fran did say that... and what if he is right?
are you gonna side with Fran or the ref that cheats?

think about it... if the refs were cheating... would they ever get in trouble for it?

has there ever been an NCAA official busted for cheating?

players and coaches get busted for cheating... but never the officials?
Truth doesn’t matter. See Dolph suspension #1.

Early leader in the dipshit post of the year. A suspension would be a great boost to Hawkeye basketball. Btw, who is the source on Fran's words?
Sorry but rules are rules. Looks like OSU media. I’m sure he has an axe to grind with Fran, lol.

Are you new to iowa city? Just wait until Dolph is reinstated and people protest the reinstatement of someone they think is racist
And last night you said I was exaggerating that all of Dolph’s calls would be tainted because of the suspension. Yet tonight you call him a racist.

While Iowa city is super liberal, they aren’t super dumb except for Barta. If Iowa city can survive PP, Dolph will be a piece of cake.

I didn’t read many posts so not sure if I’m missing something or re-hashing something. But I would bet I’ve heard 100’s or 1000’s of times where the announcers commented on hoping the viewers can read lips or hopefully the mic didn’t pick that up while yelling at officials. Why is this such a story?

Refs were bad but not 20 points bad
Right, don't know why Fran would choose tonight to go on a rant. It wasn't the refs that cost us the game. The buckeyes played really well, and we showed a total lack of interest in playing defense. Very few of the Hawks looked decent tonight, most played poorly. OSU was clearly the more motivated team tonight. Fran looks silly complaining about the refs on a night like this. So, does Fran get suspended or fined now ?

Reactions: Ihawkhoops
I didn’t read many posts so not sure if I’m missing something or re-hashing something. But I would bet I’ve heard 100’s or 1000’s of times where the announcers commented on hoping the viewers can read lips or hopefully the mic didn’t pick that up while yelling at officials. Why is this such a story?
Iowa has raised the bar for standards of their employees. It would be hypocritical to not hold coaches to the same standards.

Reactions: grayhair81
And that's one of many problems with Fran. He'd rather berate the refs than figure out why his teams hit a wall come February.

His coaching of defense, recruiting, and substitution patterns are the real disgrace.

Really? Those are a disgrace? We're 21-7, have turned things around in a huge way from last year and we are in the top half of the toughest top to bottom conference in the country and the coach is a disgrace?

I heard somewhere that this is 5 of the last 7 he's gotten this team to 20 wins....one of the two was the 19 win season where we didn't get to 20....

This performance was frustrating and painful....but the loss was not unexpected.

B1G officials are bad and something needs to be done about it. Holtman was going nuts in the first half and got a T. Fran kept his composure until he had seen enough of the crap calls that took place in the second half w/ Conner and Baer.

His blowing up in the tunnel was about the next game. Basically, you f me this game, I expect better results next game.

Weimer, Green, and Simpson shouldn’t get to ref another B1G game. They are terrible and don’t deserve to call B1G games. Yes, I know Simpson didn’t call this game but the Indiana game was a travesty. It’s time for Jim Delaney to hire year round officials to call Football, Basketball, baseball games and fill in women’s sports as well. It should be mandated the B1G has the best non biased officials calling all games as it’s beyond reproach. And if they are bad, they are gone. Move in a ref that is good and deserves a chance to call B1G games.
Weimer is considered one of the best refs in the league. Not picking on Connor , but he deserved a T there.

Reactions: ROCKY MOUNTAIN HAWK
And last night you said I was exaggerating that all of Dolph’s calls would be tainted because of the suspension. Yet tonight you call him a racist.

While Iowa city is super liberal, they aren’t super dumb except for Barta. If Iowa city can survive PP, Dolph will be a piece of cake.
Can you read?

Yes, oh my, what will we do? Really? Get out of the house much? Watch any other games much? Please stfu!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Forgot. I am quite certain he meant for all to hear....

It't time for Iowa to tank, and become the "Not ready for prime time players" that we have all known for 30 years. It's in their DNA because our coaches sooner or later get exposed for lack of depth, lousy defense, and lousy recruiting.

Fran’s must be doing a hell of a job coaching if all the above is true.
Franks a troll, only comes around when we lose.

Personally I would like to see Fran have a tirade on himself. How in the hell do you stand there as a coach and let some obscure role player torch your ass for the entire game? After his 4th 3 I put Dailey in and tell him to force Jimmer to put the ball on the deck / deny him the ball. If Fran wants to go off on somebody look in the mirror. Hell Bohannon makes one 3 and opposing coaches call timeouts and lose their minds. Game resumes and they have somebody on him like a barnacle on a whale.

Nobody here gives a shit about Pitino.

Fran is Iowa's coach and I think many fans would prefer he focus more on coaching and less on officiating.
However, he has a point...Petino had similar antics and Fran's reportedly at least occurred in tunnel.

Richard Pitino ran after a ref last week when they lost to Nebraska and said “**** you you stupid mother ****er” four times in a row.. why does it matter that Fran did it in a tunnel?

Because that guy has made it to the Sweet 16 a few times. Maybe further, I can't remember.

And it must have been pretty magical because the OSU says “that’s BS, that’s BS”. Then gets a warning and he says “that’s BS, that’s BS” after.
I'm watching the replay now and at 8:45 left 1st half Kaleb Wesson picked up his second foul, went to the bench, and Holtmann is screaming "That's the second bull---t foul! That's the second bull---t foul!" Wesson must be "off limits" or something. Anyway, no T. He got a pass.

Reactions: iahawks10
I'm watching the replay now and at 8:45 left 1st half Kaleb Wesson picked up his second foul, went to the bench, and Holtmann is screaming "That's the second bull---t foul! That's the second bull---t foul!" Wesson must be "off limits" or something. Anyway, no T. He got a pass.

You hear the commentators say that he was even given a warning and proceeds to say it two more times.... with nothing to come of it.

They don’t show the warning, because they’re showing a close up of the coach. It was very obvious what the coach was saying though.

Last edited:
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT