ADVERTISEMENT

Gabble Steveson to Iowa?

It’s kind of a meaningless point now but they did post on Twitter he was “signed”

That wasn’t true, he verbally committed. If he would have signed in the fall, probably wouldn’t have pursued Anthony, unless Angelo made it clear it would give an Iowa a leg up if they gave his brother a chance?? Either way, Chittum is about as trustworthy as that jerk football player from SE Polk who went to Alabama. Chittum will bounce from IA State to a big time program that needs him if he ever lives up to the hype he had as a recruit.

Granted, I can never keep up with the everchanging NCAA regs, but I thought that a school was not allowed to talk about, mention, or publicize a recruit unless they were officially signed.

Reactions: GableBeer
Granted, I can never keep up with the everchanging NCAA regs, but I thought that a school was not allowed to talk about, mention, or publicize a recruit unless they were officially signed.
Thats what I thought as well, the photo even has a “signed” at the bottom.

I applaud the guy for giving it a try. In the end he just doesn't likely have the size. I honestly thought he was a little bigger than he is. It'll be interesting to see if he sticks on a practice squad or not.
How well does the practice squad pay? I suspect that G.S. is looking for better money, and Pro football is far better for that than wrestling.

Reactions: el dub
I applaud the guy for giving it a try. In the end he just doesn't likely have the size. I honestly thought he was a little bigger than he is. It'll be interesting to see if he sticks on a practice squad or not.
He may have a chance if he could play linebacker, although alittle short for that also.

How well does the practice squad pay? I suspect that G.S. is looking for better money, and Pro football is far better for that than wrestling.
Found this on the google:

Players with two or fewer seasons will be paid $12,500 per week in 2024 and that will steadily increase through the 2030 season. Unlike players with two or fewer years, veterans of three or more seasons don't have a set salary but instead have a range and can negotiate their deals.

Gable could have won Olympic Gold this year. Crazy that he traded that opportunity for Fake wrestling and a slim chance of being a rotational football player.

I wonder if he would change things if he could go back.

Easy for me to say now.. right?
YES, looking at it from the OUTSIDE. It would appear that this guy just keeps making mistakes? I get the lure of easy money sort a speak, but he kinda had the world in his hands with wrestling. ALREADY a GOLD medal winner, I just am not understanding his logic? The NIL numbers being thrown around, make it very hard to believe that he would not have commanded a HUGE pay day to use his last NCAA year of eligibility.

ADD to that a possibility of winning another GOLD, a possible coaching job, camps, seminars, clinics, shirts etc..... Not sure what I am missing and what is going thru his thick skull!?!?!??! ONLY thing I can assume, is maybe the HARD WORK to stay on top in wrestling was TWOOOOO much???

Somebody whoop him upside his head and get him to IOWA!!!!!

Reactions: el dub
From the games I saw him play in, Gable lacks quickness off the ball, which is death in the NFL. I saw a number of plays in which he was out of it as soon as the ball was snapped. Linebacker may be a better position given his lack of speed, but that position is more instinctual in nature and requires a high football IQ to anticipate the likely offense play. Again, I think his lack of football experience hurts him a lot here.

He has a year of eligibility left. I suggest he grab a bag of money from some team, and then go freestyle. Obviously though, wrestling seems to be in his rearview mirror. Is what it is.

YES, looking at it from the OUTSIDE. It would appear that this guy just keeps making mistakes? I get the lure of easy money sort a speak, but he kinda had the world in his hands with wrestling. ALREADY a GOLD medal winner, I just am not understanding his logic? The NIL numbers being thrown around, make it very hard to believe that he would not have commanded a HUGE pay day to use his last NCAA year of eligibility.

ADD to that a possibility of winning another GOLD, a possible coaching job, camps, seminars, clinics, shirts etc..... Not sure what I am missing and what is going thru his thick skull!?!?!??! ONLY thing I can assume, is maybe the HARD WORK to stay on top in wrestling was TWOOOOO much???

1. He DID command a big pay day. He asked for too much.

2. We got Keuter. Absolutely no need for the Gabble drama

3. He’s probably going to be on a practice squad - which means he made the right decision.

Do you just roll a die to decide what words to caps?

From the games I saw him play in, Gable lacks quickness off the ball, which is death in the NFL. I saw a number of plays in which he was out of it as soon as the ball was snapped. Linebacker may be a better position given his lack of speed, but that position is more instinctual in nature and requires a high football IQ to anticipate the likely offense play. Again, I think his lack of football experience hurts him a lot here.

He has a year of eligibility left. I suggest he grab a bag of money from some team, and then go freestyle. Obviously though, wrestling seems to be in his rearview mirror. Is what it is.

He’s an idiot. I get the try for WWE. But once he realized he didn’t have the acting chops, he should have RAN back to campus, gotten paid stupid NIL money, and made the Olympic team/won gold.

Aaron Donald left Pitt at 6-1, 260#

Yeah. lets not compare Gable to a generational talent. And even coming out of college, size was a concern for Donald. See below just one scouting report. (there a bunch more using the google machine)

https://walterfootball.com/scoutingreport2014adonald.php

Weaknesses:
  • Limited scheme projection
  • Lacks scheme flexibility
  • Undersized
  • Frame is maxed out
  • Could improve his run defense for when teams run straight at him

Summary: If Donald were bigger, he would be the top-rated tackle and a high first-round pick. Over the past three seasons, Donald was one of the best interior defensive linemen in college football. He was phenomenal in 2013.

1. He DID command a big pay day. He asked for too much.

2. We got Keuter. Absolutely no need for the Gabble drama

3. He’s probably going to be on a practice squad - which means he made the right decision.
1) then like I said, he made a mistake

2) Keuter could redshirt I believe, or did he last year? Not sure how that works being he was on Football?

3) Practice squad aint chump change but certainly he could have been doing much better!!! TWOOOO olympic GOLDS and he would be pretty much set for life!
Do you just roll a die to decide what words to caps?
It is an ART form!!!! I believe I ALREADY explained this VERY clearly!?!?!?!

1) then like I said, he made a mistake

2) Keuter could redshirt I believe, or did he last year? Not sure how that works being he was on Football?

3) Practice squad aint chump change but certainly he could have been doing much better!!! TWOOOO olympic GOLDS and he would be pretty much set for life!

It is an ART form!!!! I believe I ALREADY explained this VERY clearly!?!?!?!

Agreed on 3.

He really should have done 3 cycles. he'd be a 3 time Olympic champ AND finish in Los Angeles. Can you imagine the opportunities in Hollywood if he wins there? Dumb dumb.

Aaron Donald also left Pitt after playing football for many years including being a first team all-state his Jr & Sr years in High School.

People foolishly buy into the skilled vs unskilled positions in football. At the higher levels of college and the NFL, all positions require an enormous amount of skill. The NFL waiver wire history is littered with tremendous athletes who have played football since they were in grade school.

Yes there have been undersized lineman in the NFL, but they are few and far between. Undersized linemen with almost no football experience are even rarer.

Yeah. lets not compare Gable to a generational talent. And even coming out of college, size was a concern for Donald. See below just one scouting report. (there a bunch more using the google machine)

https://walterfootball.com/scoutingreport2014adonald.php

Weaknesses:
  • Limited scheme projection
  • Lacks scheme flexibility
  • Undersized
  • Frame is maxed out
  • Could improve his run defense for when teams run straight at him

Summary: If Donald were bigger, he would be the top-rated tackle and a high first-round pick. Over the past three seasons, Donald was one of the best interior defensive linemen in college football. He was phenomenal in 2013.
Even with not so good evaluation, he was drafted #13 in first round.

Reactions: vhsalum
Aaron Donald also left Pitt after playing football for many years including being a first team all-state his Jr & Sr years in High School.

People foolishly buy into the skilled vs unskilled positions in football. At the higher levels of college and the NFL, all positions require an enormous amount of skill. The NFL waiver wire history is littered with tremendous athletes who have played football since they were in grade school.

Yes there have been undersized lineman in the NFL, but they are few and far between. Undersized linemen with almost no football experience are even rarer.
Carlton Haselrig was same size 6-1, 260 when he was taken as the last pick of the draft by the Steelers. It took one year on practice squad and 2 more years before he was all pro.

Carlton Haselrig was same size 6-1, 260 when he was taken as the last pick of the draft by the Steelers. It took one year on practice squad and 2 more years before he was all pro.
Different era. Back then, that size was middle of the pack. Nowadays it's at the low end.

Last edited:
I don’t consider him a sure thing for a practice squad. He was more raw than a 10 second steak. Potential sure but you gotta earn it.

Different era. Back then, that size was middle of the pack. Nowadays it's at the low end.
Same size as Aaron Donald who is still doing ok.

Again, Haselrig, like Donald, grew up playing football. Haselrig started college as a football player at Lock Haven before getting hurt in practice and transferring to UPJ after one semester. Steveson has never played football before.

He was not selected on waivers by any team. Meaning the Bills and no other team feel he is worth practice squad money. Which all makes sense since it was a stunt.

He was not selected on waivers by any team. Meaning the Bills and no other team feel he is worth practice squad money. Which all makes sense since it was stunt worth seeing if a 24year old Olympic Gold Medalist could make an impact as a football player.

FIFY.

Weirdo.

That's why I thought Gable had a shot. But he's less than 6-1 and Donald was a workout warrior. Ido think athletically Gable is right there with an Aaron Donald but when you're both undersized and inexperienced, and not in elite physical condition, the NFL isn't going to happen.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT