ADVERTISEMENT

Gadson Tweet

lol no. Beth knows her stuff.
I hope you’re right. I don’t know what she knows and doesn’t know. Just figured with it being a niche sport she might not know guys that wrestled for other teams 10 years ago.

Take a step back and think about it as a business decision. If you were Beth you have a $25+ million wrestling facility on its way and the program isn’t producing to expectations that Tom has committed to and Gable created. It’s more or less down trending. I love TnT but they’re not getting any younger and they’re not getting the top recruiting classes. We get transfers but we’re not beating PSU with transfers. Need top recruiting talent. Simply put, you’re either trending up or down and according to the standings I think we know the answer. It’s just business.

I don't think he could do M2 and coach. A recruiting violation. Beyond the money, a DT may ask for a detailed roadmap to succession and changes in the program before that happens. I can't imagine Brands agreeing to any of that. A clean break makes more sense than a transition. If we were talking about a coach getting ready to retire, I'd agree with you, but Tom has no thoughts of that AFAIK.
retire or be retired? plus there are no such recruiting violations in PA as we have seen for years.

From what I’ve seen of Taylor over the years (and trust me, I’ve tried not to look), I can’t imagine he and Tom co-existing. Oil and water in philosophies. If our AD wants Taylor, it will need to be a clean sweep w/ Taylor selecting his own crew. Which I think would work well, btw.

And since they’re such good buds, I’d expect him to want Dake as his Associate HC.
Make it a trifecta and snatch Nolf also.

Terry to HWC is the right move IMO but the money/donors would have to be there because he would get scooped up as a HC almost anywhere in the country if given the opportunity.

They could make Taylor “associate” head coach and up the $$$

Also I don’t feel like he would need to give up m2 if he has a good staff in place in PA. If anything he could open an Iowa M2 location and build a PA pipeline straight to Iowa city.

No clue if it’s substantiated in any way, but an interesting rumor and one I would be totally on board with.
didn't Terry interview for a HC job last year..somewhere on the east coast...Carolinas? something like that.

Take a step back and think about it as a business decision. If you were Beth you have a $25+ million wrestling facility on its way and the program isn’t producing to expectations that Tom has committed to and Gable created. It’s more or less down trending. I love TnT but they’re not getting any younger and they’re not getting the top recruiting classes. We get transfers but we’re not beating PSU with transfers. Need top recruiting talent. Simply put, you’re either trending up or down and according to the standings I think we know the answer. It’s just business.
According to one poster claiming to be in-the-know, Tom was too tied up getting the tunnel built to recruit this year. But just wait until you see this tunnel. It’s gonna be like a vacuum for top 10 p4p recruits. Well worth the wait.

According to one poster claiming to be in-the-know, Tom was too tied up getting the tunnel built to recruit this year. But just wait until you see this tunnel. It’s gonna be like a vacuum for top 10 p4p recruits. Well worth the wait.
If he put as much into winning recruiting battles as he did his wrestling matches we would be sitting much better off.

Meh. Effectively lost 40% of our lineup after the season started and they got us by .5 points. Not something to be concerned about.

Lots of other things are, of course.

Lol...Yea, I don't get these jabs. Best team they have assembled in years against our circumstances and they are losing their stud. I really like 133 and the Cuban cashed his chips in after losing in the quarters so he'll be back and tough next year as the weight clears out a bit. They are going to need big help in the portal too fighting with the rest of us for the scraps PSU doesn't want or need.

Reactions: SDHN2013
The "grinder" style of TnT is gone.

Elite guys probably aren't giving Iowa a look given Hawkeye results.

And as was proven last portal season, $$$ isn't the sole consideration.

Telford and Star remain and the hole only gets deeper.

Lol...Yea, I don't get these jabs. Best team they have assembled in years against our circumstances and they are losing their stud. I really like 133 and the Cuban cashed his chips in after losing in the quarters so he'll be back and tough next year as the weight clears out a bit. They are going to need big help in the portal too fighting with the rest of us for the scraps PSU doesn't want or need.
We still got beat by ISU. It happened. This year. That might sit fine with you while you excuse it away, but that doesn't sit well with most hawk fans and supporters.

It would be funny as hell when they drop the curtains for the unveiling of the new facility and it was only 14" tall just like the stone henge scene in Spinal Tap.
Confused What Is This GIF

Why on earth would Carl move from Pennsylvania to Iowa? How could that be a move up for him? He’s on top of the world, dominating D1 while sitting in the middle of the best high school wrestling in the country.

The "grinder" style of TnT is gone.

Elite guys probably aren't giving Iowa a look given Hawkeye results.

And as was proven last portal season, $$$ isn't the sole consideration.

Telford and Star remain and the hole only gets deeper.
I can’t like this post enough!

This team lacks a huge emphasis on scrambling and funk. I truly believe there isn’t anybody on the staff that knows how to teach and craft those techniques at a high level. Not anymore at least, at Tom and Terry’s age.

I’m tired of seeing 10 Morningstars out on the mat year in and year out. That’s the identity Iowa wrestling has become now. It’s clearly a talent identification, recruiting philosophy, and coaching problem.

The program needs a serious infusion of young coaching talent and just plain talent in the HWC. If there isn’t change, expect things to continue to trend down.

Last edited:
I can’t like this post enough!

This team lacks a huge emphasis on scrambling and funk. I truly believe there isn’t anybody on the staff that knows how to teach and craft those techniques at a high level. Not anymore at least, at Tom and Terry’s age.

I’m tired of seeing 10 Morningstars out on the mat year in and year out. That’s the identity Iowa wrestling has become now. It’s clearly a talent identification, recruiting philosophy, and coaching problem.

The program needs a serious infusion of young coaching talent and just plain talent in the HWC. If there isn’t change, expect things to continue to trend down.
The assistant coaches don't matter as much as you think. They are essentially expected to just be yes-men for (and extensions of) TnT. And, if they're not, they're gone. They also don't get the opportunity to show much technique, decide which techniques or positions are worked on in practice, decide how practices are structured, or anything like that. If you want big change, you're gonna have to replace TnT. Facts.

The assistant coaches don't matter as much as you think. They are essentially expected to just be yes-men for (and extensions of) TnT. And, if they're not, they're gone. They also don't get the opportunity to show much technique, decide which techniques or positions are worked on in practice, decide how practices are structured, or anything like that. If you want big change, you're gonna have to replace TnT. Facts.
Except if TnT are actually feeling pressure, they can scapegoat an asst.

Brands ain't stupid. He's gotta know fans aren't happy with the trend line.

And I disagree that assts don't matter.

Okie State seems to have had an infusion of excitement when Coleman Scott arrived.

When you finish behind a middling program like ISU, even if just barely, that's an indicator.

Reactions: Pennstate1985

Okie State seems to have had an infusion of excitement when Coleman Scott arrived
DC was a little too excited for the 10th place finish up from 17 last year.

Reactions: BGon4ND and eb05
Is that really how it's done in the Iowa room? That's a management style from the 80s. I get the distinct impression from the PSU room that Cael is the CEO and head recruiter, and that he delegates to Casey, cody, and Kennedy to run things in the room under Cael's umbrella room philosophy. Almost like a corporate structure. Doesn't mean Cael isn't in the room but he isn't the primary room guy. He let's his assistants manage their guys. Just look at nationals. The champions hug their room coach before they hug Cael.

Last edited:

Okie State seems to have had an infusion of excitement when Coleman Scott arrived.

When you finish behind a middling program like ISU, even if just barely, that's an indicator.
I agree they make for great scapegoats in a pinch. And I didn’t say assistant coaches don’t matter at Okie State. I said they don’t matter nearly as much as some seem to think they do at Iowa. They’re simply not given the freedom to influence things much under TnT.

Is that really how it's done in the Iowa room? I get the distinct impression from the PSU room that Cael is the CEO and head recruiter, and that he delegates to Casey, cody, and Kennedy to run things in the room under Cael's umbrella room philosophy. Almost like a corporate structure. Doesn't mean Cael isn't in the room but he isn't the primary room guy. He lets his assistants manage their guys. Just look at nationals. The champions hug their room coach before they hug Cael.
With regard to practice structure and planning, it’s almost completely led and carried out by TnT (mostly Tom), with assistants merely acting as extensions of TnT, or just being training partners for team members while TnT run practice. There are occasional individual workouts that may be with other assistants, but that’s very limited.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT