ADVERTISEMENT

Gadson Tweet

Except if TnT are actually feeling pressure, they can scapegoat an asst.

Brands ain't stupid. He's gotta know fans aren't happy with the trend line.

And I disagree that assts don't matter.

Okie State seems to have had an infusion of excitement when Coleman Scott arrived.

When you finish behind a middling program like ISU, even if just barely, that's an indicator.

I honestly don’t think Tom cares about the fans. I think he is so old school he insists on consciously ignoring fans. I think this is also why he can’t recruit, because he remains steadfast in a belief that is is an honor and privilege to wrestle for Iowa, so he does t want a kid who he has to woo.

If not for the gambling suspensions we were clearly the 2nd place team

I also don’t think the coaches get a pass for the gambling issue, just as they should not get a pass for various other behavior issues that we have experienced. I mean, how many teams have one wrestler shoot a teammate?

It’s their job to drive into these kids’ brains what they need to do to stay out of trouble.

I also don’t think the coaches get a pass for the gambling issue, just as they should not get a pass for various other behavior issues that we have experienced. I mean, how many teams have one wrestler shoot a teammate?

It’s their job to drive into these kids’ brains what they need to do to stay out of trouble.
Not sure I agree.

Gable had Alger. Dresser has Swiddy. J Robinson...etc.

There are others.

Wrestlers are a different breed.

Reactions: el dub
I honestly don’t think Tom cares about the fans. I think he is so old school he insists on consciously ignoring fans. I think this is also why he can’t recruit, because he remains steadfast in a belief that is is an honor and privilege to wrestle for Iowa, so he does t want a kid who he has to woo.
It’s his nature to be extremely self confident with an, “us against them,” mentality, imo.

If not for the gambling suspensions we were clearly the 2nd place team
How? Cassioppi was a monster loss, but just as we saw with Bastida, it's entirely possible he gets bounced early just like the #2 seed did.

Are you pushing all your chips in on Assad landing on the podium? I wouldn't.

Rathjen/ Voinivich > Seibrecht - enough said.

So that leaves us with Nelson/ Swafford. Nelson had a great run last year, but in all likelihood he performs similarly to PK this go around. Swafford probably goes 1-2.

And without those suspensions it's possible we don't land Caliendo or Franek.

Unfortunately true. Very old school.

Not sure I agree.

There are others.

Times have changed. That "boys will be boys thing" doesn't work anymore with social media and instant massive feedback. Coaches and in-state fans can't control the narrative anymore. It takes an army (like Taylor Swift's or Caitlin Clark's) to control the narrative.

The old days where Harold Nichols could just bop down to the Ames police station to spring Chuck Jean out of jail, with no repercussions, are long over. This is why religious faith has become a big positive for recruits in some circles. Fewer problems later.

Reactions: lookleft goright
I honestly don’t think Tom cares about the fans. I think he is so old school he insists on consciously ignoring fans.
I disagree that Tom Brands doesn't care about the fans. I think he cares about the fans very much. Maybe not their opinions on lineups, roster decisions, etc, but he cares about, and very much appreciates the support of, the fans.

My anecdotal case in point: a friend, my girlfriend, and I went down to Stillwater for the OSU meet in 2015. This was a meet were we won 8 of 10 matches and generally dominated all around. After the meet, my friend, my girlfriend, and I were hanging out outside the arena, trying to figure out what we were doing next. Around this time, the team was leaving the arena and walking straight to the bus. As the coaches walked out after the wrestlers, Tom looked over and saw us wearing Iowa gear, and he made a point to run over to us and shake our hands and thank us for making it down and showing our support. He stood and chatted with us for a minute or two before turning around and heading back to the bus. And we're nobody special; just a couple of people wearing Iowa gear down in enemy territory. Tom still wanted to come over and introduce himself and thank us.

To say Tom doesn't care about the fans is a complete misunderstanding of who Tom is.

I disagree that Tom Brands doesn't care about the fans. I think he cares about the fans very much. Maybe not their opinions on lineups, roster decisions, etc, but he cares about, and very much appreciates the support of, the fans.

My anecdotal case in point: a friend, my girlfriend, and I went down to Stillwater for the OSU meet in 2015. This was a meet were we won 8 of 10 matches and generally dominated all around. After the meet, my friend, my girlfriend, and I were hanging out outside the arena, trying to figure out what we were doing next. Around this time, the team was leaving the arena and walking straight to the bus. As the coaches walked out after the wrestlers, Tom looked over and saw us wearing Iowa gear, and he made a point to run over to us and shake our hands and thank us for making it down and showing our support. He stood and chatted with us for a minute or two before turning around and heading back to the bus. And we're nobody special; just a couple of people wearing Iowa gear down in enemy territory. Tom still wanted to come over and introduce himself and thank us.

To say Tom doesn't care about the fans is a complete misunderstanding of who Tom is.
Let's rephrase this. As you said, he does care very much about Hawkeye and wrestling fans. He just doesn't care what fans think.
Make no mistake, Tom Brands is a good guy, just very old school, from a team that was always in the conversation about the title.

Tom and Terry's schtick has grown old and stale to a lot of fans and the administration. Tom is out of touch with the needs of this program if he doesn't AT LEAST replace Ryan and Bobby this off season. Beth could cement herself as the greatest AD in Iowa history by making Tom change or get replaced and doing the same to Kirk if the offense is the same next year......

Tom and Terry's schtick has grown old and stale to a lot of fans and the administration. Tom is out of touch with the needs of this program if he doesn't AT LEAST replace Ryan and Bobby this off season. Beth could cement herself as the greatest AD in Iowa history by making Tom change or get replaced and doing the same to Kirk if the offense is the same next year......
Would be hard to get rid of TnT. While keeping Kirk and Fran. They have run circles around them and don’t earn millions a year like they do. Kirk stuck it to Beth by hiring another yes man with no high level OC experience, from within. I knew he would do that to show her who the boss is

Would be hard to get rid of TnT. While keeping Kirk and Fran. They have run circles around them and don’t earn millions a year like they do. Kirk stuck it to Beth by hiring another yes man with no high level OC experience, from within. I knew he would do that to show her who the boss is
The new OC wasn’t hired from within.

Shocker that Brands mentality and approach is old and outdated.

I don't understand how TF he can't see what he's doing continues to be wrong. It's okay, another 10 years of the same BS will surely turn the tides.

Don’t see a change coming, even if assts would be moved/ replaced it’s gonna be a yes man to Tom. Just like KF and his philosophy never changes. Nobody from outside the program is coming to be an asst to Tom. Only recent hawk that would help would be kem.

The fans I agree with. I don’t think the administration has changed any opinions on Tom. You can try and make yourself believe that, but your wrong.

Reactions: lookleft goright
It's not that I don't believe you but how did you get to your number? I've always wondered how much these clubs make and M2 in particular. You would need 50 kids at $400/month every month to get to $250k..

And that’s very realistic. Actually on the low side. Not the 400/month. Probably has more than 50 kids. Remember though good ole Uncle Sam will
Be at the door with his hand out for 35 percent. And buildings don’t go without a cost.

Do you make it a goal to be as wrong as possible? Because if so you do a good job of it. Bravo.

BS. She doesn’t know shit about wrestling. What she likes to do is get rid of the old white guys whcih should make many of you happy on this board. No loyalty left here either for lives given to U of I.

Think again.

And are you saying she’s going to hire Clarissa Chun to run the men’s program? 😂

BS. She doesn’t know shit about wrestling. What she likes to do is get rid of the old white guys whcih should make many of you happy on this board. No loyalty left here either for lives given to U of I.
Barta didn't know all that much wrestling either did he?. What you said reveals more about your insecurities than it does about her prejudices.
The new AD seems like pretty savvy administrator to me, and Coach Brands likes her, and she's at least smart enough to dump a football OC who couldn't generate an offense.

Barta didn't know all that much wrestling either did he?. What you said reveals more about your insecurities than it does about her prejudices.
The new AD seems like pretty savvy administrator to me, and Coach Brands likes her, and she's at least smart enough to dump a football OC who couldn't generate an offense.
I’m not insecure about anything. Mostly upset about people shitting on TNT and Ferentz in general. These people have done so much to make Iowa a better place and to make many lives better. I think the tweet is likely garbage, but Tom and Terry deserve better than what I am reading here in general. There are a lot of things wrong with sports right now. TnT and Ferentz are not what’s wrong.

I’m not insecure about anything. Mostly upset about people shitting on TNT and Ferentz in general. These people have done so much to make Iowa a better place and to make many lives better. I think the tweet is likely garbage, but Tom and Terry deserve better than what I am reading here in general. There are a lot of things wrong with sports right now. TnT and Ferentz are not what’s wrong.
Exactly.

As KF said during his 12-0 season are they patting you on the back or looking for a soft spot to stick the knife later.

3 years removed from back2back team titles.

• Haha
Reactions: vhsalum
Exactly.

As KF said during his 12-0 season are they patting you on the back or looking for a soft spot to stick the knife later.

3 years removed from back2back team titles.
There's a good possibility we win back to back, but you can't really claim something that didn't take place. Feels like the ones closes to the national landscape of the sport are seeing the problems and the mat side season ticket holders are more worried about getting their 5th place inner circle commemorative coin.

David Taylor could easily just be the NLWC coach, they have the money to pay his price. I can’t see them letting the best wrestler Cael has produced go to a rival school to help them.
I don’t think this is true at all. First of all, Cael considers post-wrestling success of his athletes to be of critical importance. Second, the animosity between the fans is generally not reciprocated among the athletes. If DT got an opportunity to run the Iowa program and that’s what he wants to do, I’m sure Cael would wish him the best and even give him pointers to be successful, even if it means directly competing with him. I’m certainly not convinced DT actually wants to leave NLWC/M2, but if he does, it will be with Cael’s full support (and Iowa is one of the, if not THE, best destinations outside PSU).

Agreed. TnT and Ferentz don't deserve this sh*t.

Yeah, he should know better. Not his best day.
I honestly can't wait for the day when what's left of the Hawkeye tribe goes full Ghandi in their self flagellation and a new coach, whether DT, JB, Askren, Mike Grey or whatever talented individuals decide to grace the Hawkeye shrine with their presence. A shrine y'all worship, ancient and needs to be destroyed. When y'all are knashing and wailing in your false virtue, I'll sit in silence as all your ancient ways are ripped away for the new.

I honestly can't wait for the day when what's left of the Hawkeye tribe goes full Ghandi in their self flagellation and a new coach, whether DT, JB, Askren, Mike Grey or whatever talented individuals decide to grace the Hawkeye shrine with their presence. A shrine y'all worship, ancient and needs to be destroyed. When y'all are knashing and wailing in your false virtue, I'll sit in silence as all your ancient ways are ripped away for the new.
You have issues. See a therapist.

Not sure I agree.

There are others.

It's a way different time than the 70s and 80s. Things like gambling apps annoy me but I'm no gambler. I use them once a year. I take $50-100 and make a bunch of 1 dollar bets on the Super Bowl. This year I made like 30 dollars or so lol. I'm 60, not an NCAA athlete but as a boomer who isn't very tech savvy I still know about geo location. Why risk your playing time on a silly bet. Bet cash with a buddy or have some friend place it for you. With you giving them cash to place the bet.

Based on every post match interview from Penn State wrestlers it sounds like Tom Brands needs to start a Bible study class
I think that Brooks is the real deal and a true man of faith but I have a hard time believing that some of those guys are as committed as they say... I am not a Biblical scholar but When Starr recited the Biblical verse " That's why I came into this game a boss. Bouta get my 4th Natty daddy like one too. I will remain ruthless and PISS on this kids graveyard tonight. Remember this is chess, not checkers" I have looked and can't seem to find where Jesus talked $hit on his opponents but hey maybe he did it on the down low? I honestly think each person deserves their own choice of faith but don't act Holier than thou whenever you are certainly dont act that way.

It's not a charity. Coaches need to perform or their seats gets hot. Ferentz's offense has been embarrassingly underperforming for far too long and even worse, he used nepotism to hire his incompetent son. Brian needed to be fired and Kirk wasn't going to do it. If the offense doesn't improve under the new OC, Kirk will be next.

It's sad that this needs to even be explained.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT