ADVERTISEMENT

Gas prices are tanking!

Update... down another $.06 to $3.25 this afternoon.

We know demand is still there, so the skeptics can't say that's the reason. :D :D :D :D

I live off of 86th St, and at the Johnston end I think I saw 3.29/ gallon....and over in Clive/WDM $3.54/gallon....and they were both the same C-stores!
Biden has been right the entire time.

Fuel outlets are charging what they think they can get by with.

• Haha
Reactions: hawkcub
Sam's Club down another $.06 to $3.19. Ankeny, Iowa

Trending in the right direction for everyone except the Republican Party that is rooting for a recession and higher inflation.

$2.99 at Des Moines Costco this morning. Long lines, but they move quickly and I had my iPad to keep me company.

I see prices dropping fast in metros but rural areas in Iowa are 30-40 cents higher. Don’t quite understand that wide discrepancy.

Some argue the cost to truck it, but most metros gas stations have their fuel trucked in as well, I understand it takes less time and less mileage, but not a $3,480 difference. Fuel trucks hold 11,600 gallons, and at 30 cents difference, that is $3,480. It shouldn’t take $3,480 extra per tanker, to truck fuel to rural areas.

Reactions: MitchLL
I see prices dropping fast in metros but rural areas in Iowa are 30-40 cents higher. Don’t quite understand that wide discrepancy.

Some argue the cost to truck it, but most metros gas stations have their fuel trucked in as well, I understand it takes less time and less mileage, but not a $3,480 difference. Fuel trucks hold 11,600 gallons, and at 30 cents difference, that is $3,480. It shouldn’t take $3,480 extra per tanker, to truck fuel to rural areas.
In NC, two regions consistently have the highest gas prices. Eastern part of the state, (coastal) and Western part (mountains).
Neither region have easy access to the Colonial Pipeline, which flows from Texas towards DC and serves multiple states along its route. We are served by trucks, but also have lesser demand, which means each truck may have to make multiple stops in multiple towns. Added mileage, added time, and consumers who have to pay whatever the price is…

Capitalism. Competition leads to better prices.

Rural fuel stations have way less in town competition. I know of several rural Iowa towns that have a privately-owned C store and one Caseys and that's it.

No station in CR or DM could be more than a nickel higher and survive because gas purchases cannot be considerably higher and bring the customers inside for those high profit food sales.

Another reason it sucks to live in rural Iowa.

Rural fuel stations have way less in town competition. I know of several rural Iowa towns that have a privately-owned C store and one Caseys and that's it.

No station in CR or DM could be more than a nickel higher and survive because gas purchases cannot be considerably higher and bring the customers inside for those high profit food sales.

Another reason it sucks to live in rural Iowa.
I get that. But this wide discrepancy seems like a new thing. Pre-Covid, there were times when rural areas were actually less or the same or slightly higher.

About two weeks ago, I was driving on highway 20 to Sioux City and the last town before SC, about 5-10 miles away. Was still about 30 cents more than SC.

I get that. But this wide discrepancy seems like a new thing. Pre-Covid, there were times when rural areas were actually less or the same or slightly higher.

About two weeks ago, I was driving on highway 20 to Sioux City and the last town before SC, about 5-10 miles away. Was still about 30 cents more than SC.
The small town I live in for years was maybe .05 at the most .10 more then going to Waterloo or Cedar Falls. At the peak this time around there was a .50 difference. It's a noticeable difference in this price run up compared to other ones. It's still a .30 difference now.

On top of other reasons given I think the <1500 population towns gas stations know they still get enough traffic inside. Because people see them as a defacto grocery store. If you need some milk which is easier going to Kwik Star 1 mile away or go to the grocery store 15 miles away. Compare that to in a city those numbers might be 3/4 mile and 3 miles.

Up .05 in Waterloo at Kwik Star. That's probably due to 2 to 3 week before Labor Day bump. I predict gas to be up the next 2 weeks.

I just figured it out.

Gas prices are tanking!​

GAS TANK!!!!!!!

Holy shit this is gold.

Reactions: MitchLL
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT