ADVERTISEMENT

New Story Gavin Holmes decommits from Iowa

So sick at the number of people willing to bash Ferentz over a few recruits. If there is one thing to be taken away from his years in IC, it's that he's a fair and upstanding guy. Eno and crew didn't want to be Hawkeyes, that's fine. Be disappointed. No need to drag Kirk through the mud.
Nobody is dragging ferentz thru the mud. He is stuck in the mud by his own actions on and off the field. this guy is going to kill Iowa football if he does not retire soon. He is a very sad joke.

and you don't think the kids (recruits) don't look at these comments that you know it all's write on here? so many of you on here know everything.............. except you are the guys who are drinking beer and screaming at the tv every Saturday. I for one am done coming to this board. I get so disappointed coming here reading what you think u know. bad mouth me if u want, I can handle it. good by

Did you read his comment? Guessing not. He clearly stated that he had spoken with the coaches and decommitted with them first. But hey, don't let facts get in the way. And BTW, plenty of programs would take what this guy has. Winning programs in fact. That's what it is about...winning.

What does that have to do with what I wrote?

Thats the thing. No one on here posting knows the facts. Just because some kid comes on twitter and says his piece, doesn't make that the gospel. Of course since his side can't be publicly rebuked that gives them license to say whatever they want. I still don't think we know everything that went on with Eno, and never will.
Ah I see. Somewhat strange I don't remember you or see you currently calling out posters claiming Calloway was asking for money. Or that Eno was never truthful with the coaches, or etc etc. Must have missed all of those since we don't know the facts, and you won't stand by and let people spew ignorance, right?

Reactions: David1979
and you don't think the kids (recruits) don't look at these comments that you know it all's write on here? so many of you on here know everything.............. except you are the guys who are drinking beer and screaming at the tv every Saturday. I for one am done coming to this board. I get so disappointed coming here reading what you think u know. bad mouth me if u want, I can handle it. good by
Is the first sentence even in English? Can someone translate?

Kids can say whatever they want, and the coaches can't say anything. They can simply say, "I commit to Iowa", because they have nothing invested.

The coaches ask these players to take their visits before they commit. What is wrong with that?

These kids don't want to come to Iowa - that's the real issue.

It is convenient to use the no visit thing as an easy excuse IMO. The lack of production for his position here is something I buy more. Bottom line is if he wanted to be at Iowa he would not be worried about taking visits other places. I see no difference between a guy listed as committed looking around at other places and one not listed as committed looking around at other places. Neither one is really committed. The main variable here is the Iowa response to the situations. Do they say see ya, we are no longer interested or do they still try and land the guy. If they are going to try and land him still then it is pointless to even have the policy. They do make it clear they should not even commit unless they are ready to be done looking around. To me it is kids making sure they have a spot until a better one comes along and in that case they really were never ours to begin with. The only difference between these guys committing and leaving to go elsewhere vs just being recruited and eventually committing elsewhere is in one scenario they used Iowa as an insurance policy until what they really wanted came up. One other difference I guess is a bunch of fans crying about a guy who made excuses to go elsewhere after giving a worthless verbal.

Kirk doesn't recruit to win championships. He is coaching like it is the 1950s and it is all about developing young men into adults, but then he wants to get paid like it is today's college football where it is all about money and winning. While it is an admirable thing to do, he isn't going to consistently be competing for West title championships let alone Big Ten or national championships without recruiting better.
Very well stated and true IMO.

What does that have to do with what I wrote?
"How many coaching staffs do you think want a kid that decommitted over Twitter while burning down the staff at the school that they were committed to?"

He did not decommit over twitter. He decommitted to the coaches and explained their hypocritical policy, the handling of his friend, and the tired offense were the reasons. Twitter is a reasonable medium to communicate with friends, family, and yes fans.

"How many coaching staffs do you think want a kid that decommitted over Twitter while burning down the staff at the school that they were committed to?"

He did not decommit over twitter. He decommitted to the coaches and explained their hypocritical policy, the handling of his friend, and the tired offense were the reasons. Twitter is a reasonable medium to communicate with friends, family, and yes fans.

Wow. No sense in moving forward with this.

Iowa is the laughing stock of the college football recruiting world. Good luck getting Texas players that other schools want in the near future. Hayden Fry is shaking his head over all of this.
Iowa is the laughing stock of the college football recruiting world. Good luck getting Texas players that other schools want in the near future. Hayden Fry is shaking his head over all of this.
STFU you have no idea what he thinks. Fry's going to let some 18 year old dictate how his football program is run?

Reactions: cap_tain8
Ah I see. Somewhat strange I don't remember you or see you currently calling out posters claiming Calloway was asking for money. Or that Eno was never truthful with the coaches, or etc etc. Must have missed all of those since we don't know the facts, and you won't stand by and let people spew ignorance, right?
I honestly never saw anyone posting about Calloway asking for money. As for Eno, I believe he said himself that he didn't tell the coaches initially he was taking those visits. So I would think that comes from the horses mouth,as they say.

I honestly never saw anyone posting about Calloway asking for money. As for Eno, I believe he said himself that he didn't tell the coaches initially he was taking those visits. So I would think that comes from the horses mouth,as they say.
Link for the Eno quotes?

So sick at the number of people willing to bash Ferentz over a few recruits. If there is one thing to be taken away from his years in IC, it's that he's a fair and upstanding guy. Eno and crew didn't want to be Hawkeyes, that's fine. Be disappointed. No need to drag Kirk through the mud.

I would agree that history is on KF's side when it comes to having some integrity. Iowa, however, is hurting itself with its stated policy of "no visits" after a verbal commitment. Perception means something in recruiting. Why even have the policy? It does no good for the school or the player. It doesn't stop a guy from making a visit if another perceived better offer comes along. Just say if you choose to take other visits then we reserve the right to continue to recruit other players at your position.

Iowa had Fant as a verbal commit last year, he then ended up visiting Nebraska and I think Minnesota, and then it was a surprise when he ended up signing with Iowa. And we're glad he did.

The verbal commit at this point just is the player's way of reserving their spot until a better option comes up. And I don't blame them. Coaches leave for better options all the time too. Just understand the rules of the game going in. The earlier signing date would help with some of this, as it would bring some more certainty to the process.

18 year olds like to have their ego stroked. All Kirk has to do is get the weekend update on how the kids played, drop them a call or text telling them good job, you are going to make a big difference for the Hawks, ect. Every week, just like a chick they want to be wanted. Once they sign then you can drop the reality bomb on them that they have to prove themselves.

If you can't keep a 3 star commit you are doing it wrong. If kissing their behinds a little longer mean consistent top 20 recruiting classes, pucker up Kirk. Your contract is structured well enough to cover the cost of lip balm if it gets you a Big Ten title.

Why does everybody get so freaking worked up about recruiting?? I liked it WAY better back in the day when you had to pull your program out to figure out who was coming into the game. And its completely out of the hands of people on message boards. Go spend time with your kids and quit worrying about where other kids are going to college. Thats my once every 6 months visit to the board. Thanks

IMO, the problem is the number of people who decided that Eno and the "Texas Pipeline" were going to be the saviors of our program. They weren't. Our current offensive problems would have persisted just the same if they had stayed committed.

Reactions: doughudd
STFU you have no idea what he thinks. Fry's going to let some 18 year old dictate how his football program is run?

You STFU internet tough guy. Guarantee you he wouldn't turn away top Texas talent at something as petty as what Ferentz is turning them away with. Fry was an innovator and would have loved to have these Texas guys on his team.

Iowa's policy is so dumb. Commitments don't mean anything g until they sign the dotted line in Feb. Kirk should know this.

What advantage do you get by pulling scholorships of your best recruits because they are taking visits? Iowa is so worried about being burned At the last second by recruits that they take a recruit who has maybe a 50-75% chance of ending up at Iowa and reduce it to a 0% chance. It just doesn't make any sense.

Would some of these kids decommit from Iowa down the line? Sure, but a good number of them wouldn't. Iowa is never going to be a consistent program with this policy.

Reactions: hawkjed10
Some interesting twists on reality by some posters here. First, Eno was not let go for taking a visit, he was let go for hiding it and subsequently lying about it. The other two had nothing to do with visits, nor did this one.

As far as hypocrisy goes....it may be perceived that way, but the reality is that it's not really. Iowa will not continue to pursue a kid who says "I'm not interested, I'm committed to this school and done with recruiting". If they say they're still open to talking, Iowa will continue to work with them.

Similarly, if Iowa knows that a commit is still out looking around, they're probably going to have a discussion with them about their level of "commitment". They are up front with recruits that they don't want them to commit until they're at that "don't bother me, my recruitment is closed" point.

Those two aspects are in complete alignment. Our expectations of our commits matches how we treat other school's "commits".

I don't have a problem with that. The real problem is that kids are expected to commit before they're eligible to take official visits. The NCAA needs a system that prevents kids from committing before they can take officials. The answer, IMO, is to allow them officials starting their junior year.
Didn't we already dispell this as false with Allen Lazard? He had closed his recruitment at an early stage and someone from the Iowa staff called the week before signing day and tried to flip him. Got Rhoades all worked up.

Didn't we already dispell this as false with Allen Lazard? He had closed his recruitment at an early stage and someone from the Iowa staff called the week before signing day and tried to flip him. Got Rhoades all worked up.

The answer to that is that Rhoads threw that out there at his signing day presser because he wanted to make it look like getting Lazard was a huge recruiting win over Iowa. He knew Ferentz wouldn't roll in the mud with him so he could say it feeling comfortable he wouldn't be called on it. Just another smoke and mirrors move by him to pump up himself and the ISU program.

The answer to that is that Rhoads threw that out there at his signing day presser because he wanted to make it look like getting Lazard was a huge recruiting win over Iowa. He knew Ferentz wouldn't roll in the mud with him so he could say it feeling comfortable he wouldn't be called on it. Just another smoke and mirrors move by him to pump up himself and the ISU program.
Link?

I would agree that history is on KF's side when it comes to having some integrity. Iowa, however, is hurting itself with its stated policy of "no visits" after a verbal commitment. Perception means something in recruiting. Why even have the policy? It does no good for the school or the player. It doesn't stop a guy from making a visit if another perceived better offer comes along. Just say if you choose to take other visits then we reserve the right to continue to recruit other players at your position.

Iowa had Fant as a verbal commit last year, he then ended up visiting Nebraska and I think Minnesota, and then it was a surprise when he ended up signing with Iowa. And we're glad he did.

The verbal commit at this point just is the player's way of reserving their spot until a better option comes up. And I don't blame them. Coaches leave for better options all the time too. Just understand the rules of the game going in. The earlier signing date would help with some of this, as it would bring some more certainty to the process.

Did you care about this policy last year, or any of the other years before this? For some reason I bet not. You only care because kids who were obviously not invested in the program used it as a cop out. Plus we all know Eno was not let go for visiting, he was let go for repeated lies.

Someone on twitter claiming Eno tried to steal gear from Iowa last time he was here. take that fwiw.

I never had much faith in the Texas recruits. Somewhere way back when he first committed, Eno said that that he had been tagged "the program changer." IMO, a big part of his commitment to Iowa was the adoration he received from all the fans, mainly since 4-stars aren't exactly common here. It was always about the attention. How would he have handled sitting on the bench for a year or two?

Reactions: SynergyHawk12
The one thing that really annoys me about both Gavin and Eno is the "this is God's plan for me" crap. No, you make your own decisions, God isn't making them for you. God didn't decide that you were going to commit to Duke then commit to Iowa then commit to someone else. you did. So annoying.
51994856.jpg

18 year olds like to have their ego stroked. All Kirk has to do is get the weekend update on how the kids played, drop them a call or text telling them good job, you are going to make a big difference for the Hawks, ect. Every week, just like a chick they want to be wanted. Once they sign then you can drop the reality bomb on them that they have to prove themselves.

If you can't keep a 3 star commit you are doing it wrong. If kissing their behinds a little longer mean consistent top 20 recruiting classes, pucker up Kirk. Your contract is structured well enough to cover the cost of lip balm if it gets you a Big Ten title.
Everyone makes fun of Harbaugh for sleeping over at a recruit's house, but then we complain that Kirk doesn't do enough ass kissing?

KF is a tool of head coach and a lazy recruiter whom the game has LONG ago passed him by....this year the recruiting is going to stink up the joint as I am sure he is looking for some slow WR to come block for him instead of actually you know catch passes...the guy is clueless as they come and thanks to our stupid AD we get this clown for next 10 years..

So... who's next? As in who's next to decommit?

Now that the whole Texas thing has exploded if the QB doesn't exit stage left, I think we're safe. That will be most of Eno's commits.. After all the bragging I did to my buddy who a Wisconsin fan about the recruiting we had going on and the influx of talent from Texas.. He texted me earlier today & said, well looks like that Texas talent u spoke about is just about tapped out before it even began.. Lol.. I haven't responded..

KF is a tool of head coach and a lazy recruiter whom the game has LONG ago passed him by....this year the recruiting is going to stink up the joint as I am sure he is looking for some slow WR to come block for him instead of actually you know catch passes...the guy is clueless as they come and thanks to our stupid AD we get this clown for next 10 years..
I agree that Kirk seems to lack aggressiveness in recruiting and seems a decade behind, but the attacks against him, personally, are not necessary.

This recruiting approach is outdated and the staff doesn't seem to be able to relate to today's high school social media involvement.

This year is proving to be a disaster from that standpoint. Prepare yourselves for more of the same old boring football on offense that is a staple of this program.

I'm curious. I wonder how many posters here complaining about KF's apparent hard line stance are the same one's that complain about kindergarten graduation ceremonies and participation trophy's?

Reactions: hawk224
I agree that Kirk seems to lack aggressiveness in recruiting and seems a decade behind, but the attacks against him, personally, are not necessary.

This recruiting approach is outdated and the staff doesn't seem to be able to relate to today's high school social media involvement.

This year is proving to be a disaster from that standpoint. Prepare yourselves for more of the same old boring football on offense that is a staple of this program.
I think the social media thing is part of the problem. Too many recruits are used to being treated like stars before they've done a thing in college. If any of you have the Bleacher Report app, you know what I mean. Commitments are being turned into elaborate productions to draw interest and line the company's pockets.

Iowa's policy is so dumb. Commitments don't mean anything g until they sign the dotted line in Feb. Kirk should know this.

What advantage do you get by pulling scholorships of your best recruits because they are taking visits? Iowa is so worried about being burned At the last second by recruits that they take a recruit who has maybe a 50-75% chance of ending up at Iowa and reduce it to a 0% chance. It just doesn't make any sense.

Would some of these kids decommit from Iowa down the line? Sure, but a good number of them wouldn't. Iowa is never going to be a consistent program with this policy.
Exactly. It did not stop Higdon from flipping.

You STFU internet tough guy. Guarantee you he wouldn't turn away top Texas talent at something as petty as what Ferentz is turning them away with. Fry was an innovator and would have loved to have these Texas guys on his team.
STFU with your no nothing guarantees. What a joke. Head to Texas and stroke them back. Lol.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT