ADVERTISEMENT

Going on a limb here ISU

I wonder why isu fans never have a response that can actually refute my portrayal of the isu 5 Star culture?

All they ever come back with are posts that cement my argument.
Ok I will bite what do you have to say about the 5 Star Culture stuff?

Hate to break it to you shared or outright they all count the same. Funny how every other school besides Iowa also counts these shared titles too.
cidhawkeye was the one that made the distinction of shared vs outright conference championships by listing them separately.

The One True Champion thing was before we had a conference championship game. Baylor and TCU tied for the league title and got left out of the playoff when Ohio State jumped them both in the final playoff rankings. The league was criticized for not naming a single champion, but frankly that was just an excuse the committee used to go with a blueblood instead of a couple small private schools. The conference downplayed that message after that embarrassment.

Last edited:
Hate to break it to you shared or outright they all count the same. Funny how every other school besides Iowa also counts these shared titles too. Nebraska fans make this argument very so often and I ask them so when are you taking down the years for shared titles in their stadium? Oh wait minute they aren’t ever and not going to put any asterisk next to them anytime soon.

Not iowa’s fault isu hasn’t won one in over a 100 years and your commissioner Bowlsby set it up as to declare the only one true Big 12 champion as the winner of the title game. Decision made well before the 20’ season just like all the other Power 5 conferences amongst others. So with your logic Does Iowa get credit for being the only undefeated Big 10 team going into conf title game in 15’ too?
But, but, but they didn't play a round robin......that will be next. The rules that the Big 12 decided to play by doesn't recognize it. I can see Bowlsby now.......'hey some poster on a Hawkeye website says we should recognize ISU as champion, how can we argue with that'.

But, but, but they didn't play a round robin......that will be next. The rules that the Big 12 decided to play by doesn't recognize it. I can see Bowlsby now.......'hey some poster on a Hawkeye website says we should recognize ISU as champion, how can we argue with that'.
You are not a moron. You realize that a full round-robin like the Big XII plays now is not the same as the system the BiG uses and the Big XII used when it had 12 teams.

In deference to the sensitive folks here, I just describe last year as what it was: ISU played every team in the league finished all alone at the top of the standings at the end of the regular season.

Reactions: Yellow Snow
You are not a moron. You realize that a full round-robin like the Big XII plays now is not the same as the system the BiG uses and the Big XII used when it had 12 teams.

In deference to the sensitive folks here, I just describe last year as what it was: ISU played every team in the league finished all alone at the top of the standings at the end of the regular season.
and it didn’t matter as the Big 12 Champions in football according to then conference was OU.
Cold hard reality that isu fans refuse to believe.

All I know is if I ever see you I am going to clock you in the pie hole. I love how you rate our players when it comes to game time our players are WHIPPING your players all over the field like they don’t belong .. you can say what you want but this is true garbage you have spewed all over the Iowa board whos
Going to clean this up? YOU! I will remember who you are when the game rolls around and when the Hawks add another knot on your forehead and your team gets booed off the field at the end of the game

You dorks always come out talking so much shit by the end of the game you have your collective tails between your legs.. you definitely talk like a man with a paper asshole bro.. you don’t know shit about Iowa’s players and you probably don’t know SHIT about your own Grad Transfer U team.. have fun getting murdered by Oklahoma and Iowa and probably half the Big12 slate as your wet dream of a year is going to turn into a nightmare year… BOOOO!
This is terrific. Thank you for this. You are so serious though scale it back a bit.

Completely agree. Can you help spread that mindset to your fellow Cyclone fans that happen on to this forum? They seem to want to claim something that isn't recognized by the people that make that decision.

I'll "go out on a limb". If ISU wins this year in Ames (and let's be honest, they should. They'll be favored coming off their best season in awhile, at home, Sr QB and Heisman candidate ;) , the next Vince Lombardi at HC) you will hear the following things.

1. This proves that our program has passed IOWA's and they're fading.
2. This proves we would've won last year too...so this is really 2 in a row.
3. This proves that MC is a better coach than KFz
4. It's a cyclone state (which it's never been nor will be, even in years when they win)
5. Some other dipshittery so epic we can't even predict it at this point.

If IOWA wins

1. The refs screwed us.
2. We didn't play our best game, we'd beat them 8 out of 10 times.
3. The refs screwed us
3. They got lucky.
5. The refs screwed us

Reactions: mizzy2442
I'll "go out on a limb". If ISU wins this year in Ames (and let's be honest, they should. They'll be favored coming off their best season in awhile, at home, Sr QB and Heisman candidate ;) , the next Vince Lombardi at HC) you will hear the following things.

4. It's a cyclone state (which it's never been nor will be, even in years when they win)

If IOWA wins

1. The refs screwed us.
3. The refs screwed us
3. They got lucky.
5. The refs screwed us
Don’t forget the weather excuse or the fact it is Iowa’s Super Bowl.

If IOWA wins

1. The refs screwed us.
3. The refs screwed us
3. They got lucky.
5. The refs screwed us
4 If current trends continue, I would expect the Cyclones to eventually pass Iowa in popularity, mainly because the population trends in Iowa are bad news for Iowa. DSM/Ames is growing far faster than CR/IC, and the rest of the state is essentially dead, no growth. Ankeny will be the 3rd largest City (possible the 2nd) by 2030. Ankeny, WDM, and Ames all passed Waterloo in size for the 2020 census. So there are 2 growth areas in Iowa, DSM/AMES and CR/IC, but DSM/Ames is growing much faster than CR/IC. Also, in the history of Iowa and ISU football, Iowa has always had more season ticket sales, and usually a LOT more. ISU likely passes Iowa in season ticket tickets sales this year, and that is definitely a BAD sign for Iowa. Heck, they expect ISU to be over 100% for all games this year in Ames.

4 If current trends continue, I would expect the Cyclones to eventually pass Iowa in popularity, mainly because the population trends in Iowa are bad news for Iowa. DSM/Ames is growing far faster than CR/IC, and the rest of the state is essentially dead, no growth. Ankeny will be the 3rd largest City (possible the 2nd) by 2030. Ankeny, WDM, and Ames all passed Waterloo in size for the 2020 census. So there are 2 growth areas in Iowa, DSM/AMES and CR/IC, but DSM/Ames is growing much faster than CR/IC. Also, in the history of Iowa and ISU football, Iowa has always had more season ticket sales, and usually a LOT more. ISU likely passes Iowa in season ticket tickets sales this year, and that is definitely a BAD sign for Iowa. Heck, they expect ISU to be over 100% for all games this year in Ames.
20 years ago clown fans said the same thing. We are going to surpass Iowa. The difference between now and 20 years ago is Iowa has been dominating isu in the major sports for the better part of the last 5-8 years.

What exactly is so different today than 20 years ago except isu can’t beat Iowa on the field of play?

tenor.gif

It is on display daily at cyclone fanatic led by CyTwins and his faithful followers. What newspaper is crybaby Jamie pissed at today?
What does that have to do with the Football team using the motto 5 Star Culture?

There are an awful lot of assumptions in this post. Population growth alone won’t make the switch occur. The gap has narrowed. Season ticket sales will be interesting to see. Revenue per season ticket would be a good measuring stick for that.

There are an awful lot of assumptions in this post. Population growth alone won’t make the switch occur. The gap has narrowed. Season ticket sales will be interesting to see. Revenue per season ticket would be a good measuring stick for that.

Ticket sales and contributions ain't even close when looking at the Iowa and ISU athletic departments.

Last edited:
Reactions: HerkyFan
What does that have to do with the Football team using the motto 5 Star Culture?
If you really think the culture of the football team is any different than the fan base and AD then I have a great bridge for you to purchase.

I think it's funny that you assume growth in The Moines = more fans for ISU. I've lived here in the greater DSM area for over a decade now and it isn't close the number of Iowa fans over ISU fans. Sorry.

So what are you using to equate ^^^population growth in DSM to ^^^in ISU fandom?

If you really think the culture of the football team is any different than the fan base and AD then I have a great bridge for you to purchase.
I don't train with the team, go to their meetings, live with them, do the extra work outs, or practice with them. There is not way I could have the same culture as them. I wasn't a 3 star kid that came in and busted my butt to beat a 5 star all game. I'm a regular dude who doesn't play football.

I don't train with the team, go to their meetings, live with them, do the extra work outs, or practice with them. There is not way I could have the same culture as them. I wasn't a 3 star kid that came in and busted my butt to beat a 5 star all game. I'm a regular dude who doesn't play football.
That is all fine and good but the football players still go to classes at isu, still hear from the AD and the isu fan base so to say the culture of the football team is any different than that of the fans and the AD is beyond naive.

4 If current trends continue, I would expect the Cyclones to eventually pass Iowa in popularity, mainly because the population trends in Iowa are bad news for Iowa. DSM/Ames is growing far faster than CR/IC, and the rest of the state is essentially dead, no growth. Ankeny will be the 3rd largest City (possible the 2nd) by 2030. Ankeny, WDM, and Ames all passed Waterloo in size for the 2020 census. So there are 2 growth areas in Iowa, DSM/AMES and CR/IC, but DSM/Ames is growing much faster than CR/IC. Also, in the history of Iowa and ISU football, Iowa has always had more season ticket sales, and usually a LOT more. ISU likely passes Iowa in season ticket tickets sales this year, and that is definitely a BAD sign for Iowa. Heck, they expect ISU to be over 100% for all games this year in
What he doesn’t account for is that plenty of Hawk fans live in the Des Moines metro.

What he doesn’t account for is that plenty of Hawk fans live in the Des Moines metro.
Does not matter, this is about the 100's of thousands of NEW people moving in, they have no affiliation to either school, so advantage to the local school ISU. This is why KF has had scrimmages in Des Moines, they can see the demographic shift happening. Right now the DSM MSA is 800K, come back in 2030 and that number will be 1.2M. By then probably 7 of the top 10 cities in Iowa will be in the DSM metro. By 2040, 8 of the top 10 will be in DSM, only CR and IC will be the exception. Ankeny could very well have 130-150K people by 2040. That is a lot of new people that have no affiliation that can be "influenced".

Does not matter, this is about the 100's of thousands of NEW people moving in, they have no affiliation to either school, so advantage to the local school ISU. This is why KF has had scrimmages in Des Moines, they can see the demographic shift happening. Right now the DSM MSA is 800K, come back in 2030 and that number will be 1.2M. By then probably 7 of the top 10 cities in Iowa will be in the DSM metro. By 2040, 8 of the top 10 will be in DSM, only CR and IC will be the exception. Ankeny could very well have 130-150K people by 2040. That is a lot of new people that have no affiliation that can be "influenced".
Wonder who would be able to influence them....

The good news is that if all 400,000 of those new people decide to align themselves up with the Cyclones they would only need to donate a little over $50 per person to close the $20 mil difference between the two schools. The gap is narrowing indeed.

Don’t post that nonsense as we all know ISU doesn’t turn out 1st rd talent!
At least since 1973 that is true. Hopefully that changes this year. It can’t be fun having the national pundits point out how long it has been and that it’s the longest in the P5 and pointing out the schools that have had one in that time frame. It may be rivaled with the in season mentions of the lack of any conference championships. Is this the year both of those streaks get snapped?

Reactions: JerseyCityHawki
At least since 1973 that is true. Hopefully that changes this year. It can’t be fun having the national pundits point out how long it has been and that it’s the longest in the P5 and pointing out the schools that have had one in that time frame. It may be rivaled with the in season mentions of the lack of any conference championships. Is this the year both of those streaks get snapped?
Maybe multiple 1st rounders and as many as 8 draft choices. NFL is taking notice when a back up rb goes in the 4th round.

Ticket sales and contributions ain't even close when looking at the Iowa and ISU athletic departments.
For the record, ticket sales are relatively close. The last season available from the NCAA (2019) shows Iowa at #20 nationally with an average of 65,557 and ISU at #21 with 59,794.

You are right about contributions.

List who you think gets drafted and the predicted round for ISU guys in the '22 draft.
McDonald - potential 1st(if he declares)
Hall - potential 1st(if he declares)
Young - 2nd or 3rd (if he declares)
Kolar - 3rd
Rose - 3rd or 4th
Purdy - 4th or 5th
Newell - 4th or 5th
Eisworth - 6th
Schweiger - 6th
Hutchinson - 6th
Allen - 6th or 7th

I believe at least 8 of these guys have a very good chance of being drafted.

Kolar - 3rd
Rose - 3rd or 4th
Purdy - 4th or 5th
Newell - 4th or 5th
Eisworth - 6th
Schweiger - 6th
Hutchinson - 6th
Allen - 6th or 7th

JFC

Kolar - 3rd
Rose - 3rd or 4th
Purdy - 4th or 5th
Newell - 4th or 5th
Eisworth - 6th
Schweiger - 6th
Hutchinson - 6th
Allen - 6th or 7th

You will be here all week won’t you? We need something to laugh at.

Reactions: JerseyCityHawki
For the record, ticket sales are relatively close. The last season available from the NCAA (2019) shows Iowa at #20 nationally with an average of 65,557 and ISU at #21 with 59,794.

You are right about contributions.

I was talking the entire athletic department ticket revenue, which is what my post said. Nobody cares how many $250 season tickets Pollard can sell for football.

The most recent data that I have seen shows revenue from ticket sales in FY 2019:

Iowa: $27,178,942
ISU: $16,474,938

And for AD contributions:

Iowa: $38,626,655
ISU: $18,206,649

Credit to @Franisdaman for posting these financial numbers last week.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT