ADVERTISEMENT

Harbaugh to Bears - Matt Campbell to Michigan

Campbell's win % at ISU is better in conference than overall. Speaks volumes about the "big" 12. Good place to be if you wanna coach football.

Using the Johnny Orr measuring stick for greatness, he's destined for a statue

Campbell's win % at ISU is better in conference than overall. Speaks volumes about the "big" 12. Good place to be if you wanna coach football.

Using the Johnny Orr measuring stick for greatness, he's destined for a statue

Indeed. Clowns are 0-6 in games vs non-Big 12 P5 opponents under Campbell.
Ferentz is 7-1 vs non-B1G P5 oponents during the same timeframe.

Do they not teach math at Kirkwood? You have 8 teams on your schedule and 6 of them are dogshit and would get smoked by UL.
ISU was UL's 3rd easiest game, math major. They beat Ga State by 3, ga southern by 2, UAB by 4, texas st by 10, and ark st by 7. LOL, please tell us about this powerhouse. Big 12 is garbage, half the conference is awful.

It makes me crazy how much ISU fans revere Orr. What exactly did he do of merit in Ames? He was 218-200. His conference record was 79-117. Seriously, wtf?
When Johnny retired, I wrote a column about it, starting by saying "Trying to explain Johnny Orr to a non-Cyclone fan is like trying to explain sex to a virgin."

Still true.

As long as ISU can keep getting an up and comer that keeps the program a consistent 8-4 program that would seem like a good trade off given where they are as a program. Look at the excitement a new stafff brings..eternal optimism they will go undefeated.

And that is sort of a crap shoot. How many work out versus how many flop.

What does that have to do with you saying an agent is fielding phone calls for him?

He acts as his own agent but has a financial planner and attorney review them. What aren’t you understanding about this?

You make it sound as if the AD is fielding inquiries and passing them along. Okay so Campbell fields his own inquiries. He would then notify Pollard to seek permission to talk. You made it sound as though Pollard has stated there have been no inquiries. Only Campbell would know. He sure is not interviewing now. He could keep everything to himself and seek permission pre bowl game or post bowl game. I guarantee you if that Michigan job opens his hat is in the ring.

And
If Michigan offers and MC stays at ISU he is dumber than a box of rocks and I'd question why he is staying, to milk ISU for all he can? Because ISU is loyal and will offer him stability? Ask Danny Mac how ISU rewards loyalty.
You think? Maybe that Meeeechigan job isn’t as good as one might think? Their glory days were with Bo....they had a solid run with Moeller and Carr but they have struggled mightily since...Rodriguez, Hoak and Harbaugh have not been the answer...yet each one was their “ target” hire...
Johnny Orr had some interesting things to say regarding UMichigan and how they ran their sports and paid their coaches..,maybe Johnny was talking more truth than fiction?

And
You think? Maybe that Meeeechigan job isn’t as good as one might think? Their glory days were with Bo....they had a solid run with Moeller and Carr but they have struggled mightily since...Rodriguez, Hoak and Harbaugh have not been the answer...yet each one was their “ target” hire...
Johnny Orr had some interesting things to say regarding UMichigan and how they ran their sports and paid their coaches..,maybe Johnny was talking more truth than fiction?
When Johnny came to ISU, he was two years away from being national coach of the year and playing for the national championship. He was the lowest paid coach in the Big Ten.

When Johnny retired, I wrote a column about it, starting by saying "Trying to explain Johnny Orr to a non-Cyclone fan is like trying to explain sex to a virgin."

Still true.

...or like trying to explain beastiality to someone not from Ames. See, everyone can play the bad analogy using subtle pejorative game

Last edited:
It would be a very bad business/professional decision on his part.

ISU cannot match the prestige, pay and playoff potential of blue bloods like Michigan or USC.
Now Campbell might be a solid fit for USC. He’d have access to tons of athletes within 100 miles of campus. His offense has some flair...but it is based on a solid running game, something USC pines for. Also, his defenses are fundamentally solid....something foreign to the Pac12.

Still true.

Well, the sexual vibe sort of works I guess. You guys certainly got Michigan’s sloppy seconds.

When Johnny came to ISU, he was two years away from being national coach of the year and playing for the national championship. He was the lowest paid coach in the Big Ten.

May want to update your dates on this one. He had gone from National runner up, regional finals, no post season, no post season and NIT quarterfinals. He got a chance at a 25% pay bump and realized that those last 4 years at Michigan which had some grumbling would be considered the high water mark for ISU at that time. He created the excitement and planted the roots for ISU basketball.

And

"Struggled Mightily" for Michigan? Yes. Most schools 60% would be the pinnacle of their program........60% is the criteria for a coach to get into the Hall of Fame.
Perhaps some perspective is warranted on that comment.

"Struggled Mightily" for Michigan? Yes. Most schools 60% would be the pinnacle of their program........60% is the criteria for a coach to get into the Hall of Fame.
Perhaps some perspective is warranted on that comment.
On whose behalf cid? Mine or Meeeeechigan fans? My perspective is pretty much where it need to be...I suggest Meeeeeechigan fan needs to figure theirs out. Meeeechigan fan...Nebby fan....even Iowa fan....sometimes they need to reassess where they are, and celebrate the good times and exercise patience in the not so good times.

Reactions: BlackNGoldBleeder
If MC did take the Michigan job, he’s gonna run into the same thing Harbaugh has. Ohio State is on a different planet at the present time. That game is a big deal where coaches are judged at those schools.

May want to update your dates on this one. He had gone from National runner up, regional finals, no post season, no post season and NIT quarterfinals. He got a chance at a 25% pay bump and realized that those last 4 years at Michigan which had some grumbling would be considered the high water mark for ISU at that time. He created the excitement and planted the roots for ISU basketball.
From the horses mouth...Johnny was asked by the ISU AD and President to outline what was needed to make a ISU a basketball power (in an “ advisory” role)...According to Johnny he gave them some stuff that was needed, plus “a lot of fluff”....At their meeting, he presented and the ISU reps were receptive and didn’t see a problem with his proposals...Johnny was shocked and told them, “He’ll, if that’s the case I am your man!” The ISU folks were surprised...went home that night and offered Johnny the job the next morning...Johnny said the look on Michigan’s AD, Dave Canham’s face was priceless when Johnny told him he was leaving AA and going to Ames....and gave him the contract details. And Johnny liked Michigan...but he always thought they did stuff with coaches on “ the cheap “...Johnny got his payday in Ames.

From the horses mouth...Johnny was asked by the ISU AD and President to outline what was needed to make a ISU a basketball power (in an “ advisory” role)...According to Johnny he gave them some stuff that was needed, plus “a lot of fluff”....At their meeting, he presented and the ISU reps were receptive and didn’t see a problem with his proposals...Johnny was shocked and told them, “He’ll, if that’s the case I am your man!” The ISU folks were surprised...went home that night and offered Johnny the job the next morning...Johnny said the look on Michigan’s AD, Dave Canham’s face was priceless when Johnny told him he was leaving AA and going to Ames....and gave him the contract details. And Johnny liked Michigan...but he always thought they did stuff with coaches on “ the cheap “...Johnny got his payday in Ames.

It was a perfect storm, he had taken a step back at Michigan and ISU gave him about a 25% increase in salary and the support to build the program. He was on a 4 year meh stretch at Michigan(for Michigan) and what he had done in the Ricky Green timeframe.

It was a perfect storm, he had taken a step back at Michigan and ISU gave him about a 25% increase in salary and the support to build the program. He was on a 4 year meh stretch at Michigan(for Michigan) and what he had done in the Ricky Green timeframe.
Got to know JO quite well after he moved to DSM after coaching. He used to drink coffee at the Dahl’s on 8th St in WDM a couple of days a week. Unassuming and profane as all get out.Played some golf with him...he loved golf, I think more than he loved coaching BB! He was an assistant FB coach, asst BB coach and head Baseball coach at UWisconsin back in the day...and he had some stories to tell! He always had a bit of an edge towards UIowa and he loved beating the Hawks! He did get ISU basketball into the 20th century and laid a solid foundation for their successes after he left. Oh, BTW, he really had a strong dislike ( hatred) for Gene Smith, the current tOSU AD, who fired Johnny from Iowa State. They didn’t exchange Christmas cards.

Thanks. I thought it had just been two years. It had been four.

In a later post, Joel describes the process as it was told to me (by Johnny). The ISU AD called basically to inquire about Frieder, who was Orr's top assistant.

One other thing: Johnny was hired for more than Lute was making at Iowa after going to the Final Four -- $50K?? -- and that did NOT go over big with a lot of Hawkeye fans. It didn't last long, either. Lute got a raise.

Johnny had Iowa roots, too. He coached high school in Dubuque and was interviewed for the Iowa job when Bucky O'Connor was killed.

Johnny was a tremendous guy to spend time with. Had an amazing number of stories. I don't know how many of them were true.

Jim Hallihan, his assistant head coach at ISU who just died a few days ago, said that during the famous Iowa overtime game in '87, in the second half he suggested Johnny take Lafester Rhodes out to get a breather as he had played every minute of a fast-paced game. "Take him out??" said Johnny ,"He's got 40 ***ing points! I don't care if he dies out there!"

Campbell has ISU in contention for the title of Tallest Midget (Big 12 champ). Michigan is sure to get rid of Harbaugh sometime. Replacing him with Campbell would ensure that Michigan would continue to stink on ice. What could be better?

If Campbell goes to Texas he also gets to bully the other little 9 around. What Texas wants Texas gets. The other 9 are battered spouses afraid to leave.

What is hilarious about this thread is that ISU fans (and some Iowa fans) are on here talking about how Michigan sucks and how ISU is somehow on the same level as Michigan. Then you glance at Harbaugh's record at Michigan, this year excluded because, well, this Covid year is a joke.

2019 9-4
2018 10-3
2017 8-5
2016 10-3
2015 10-3

Now look at ISU under Matt Campbell

2019 7-6
2018 8-5
2017 8-5
2016 3-9

The best year ever for MC is equal to Harbaugh's worst year at Michigan. Harbaugh has done 3 times since 2015 something that has NEVER been done in the history of ISU football, win 10 games in a season. Frankly, KF puts up similar numbers to Harbaugh and Iowa fans are for the most part pleased with Kirk.

If Campbell goes to Texas he also gets to bully the other little 9 around. What Texas wants Texas gets. The other 9 are battered spouses afraid to leave.
Texas hasnt been a major player in years to say they get what they want is just ludicrous.

Got to know JO quite well after he moved to DSM after coaching. He used to drink coffee at the Dahl’s on 8th St in WDM a couple of days a week. Unassuming and profane as all get out.Played some golf with him...he loved golf, I think more than he loved coaching BB! He was an assistant FB coach, asst BB coach and head Baseball coach at UWisconsin back in the day...and he had some stories to tell! He always had a bit of an edge towards UIowa and he loved beating the Hawks! He did get ISU basketball into the 20th century and laid a solid foundation for their successes after he left. Oh, BTW, he really had a strong dislike ( hatred) for Gene Smith, the current tOSU AD, who fired Johnny from Iowa State. They didn’t exchange Christmas cards.
Good stuff, what made him have an edge against the Hawkeyes? A good story or two?

What is hilarious about this thread is that ISU fans (and some Iowa fans) are on here talking about how Michigan sucks and how ISU is somehow on the same level as Michigan. Then you glance at Harbaugh's record at Michigan, this year excluded because, well, this Covid year is a joke.

2019 9-4
2018 10-3
2017 8-5
2016 10-3
2015 10-3

Now look at ISU under Matt Campbell

2019 7-6
2018 8-5
2017 8-5
2016 3-9

The best year ever for MC is equal to Harbaugh's worst year at Michigan. Harbaugh has done 3 times since 2015 something that has NEVER been done in the history of ISU football, win 10 games in a season. Frankly, KF puts up similar numbers to Harbaugh and Iowa fans are for the most part pleased with Kirk.

Historically Michigan may have higher expectations based on previous results, booster support and the incredible arrogance that they posses.

And

Michigan under Harbaugh is 47-18...that's a 72% winning clip. I wouldn't call that struggling. Not good enough for Michigan faithful or "Blue Blood" status...but hardly "struggling".

As for Johnny's thoughts on Michigan, the last time he worked there was over 40 years ago...so.

Joelbc1, if you played some golf with Johnny you also know he was prone to getting shit-faced. One of my college buddies bartended at a DM area golf club and saw more than one incident where people hustled him out of the club area to avoid embarrassing incidents. Some pretty good stories.

Last edited:
Michigan under Harbaugh is 47-18...that's a 72% winning clip. I wouldn't call that struggling. Not good enough for Michigan faithful or "Blue Blood" status...but hardly "struggling".

As for Johnny's thoughts on Michigan, the last time he worked there was over 40 years ago...so.

CID Hawkeye, if you played some golf with Johnny you also know he was prone to getting shit-faced. One of my college buddies bartended at a DM area golf club and saw more than one incident where people hustled him out of the club area to avoid embarrassing incidents. Some pretty good stories.
Wasn’t me golfing with him

Michigan currently getting beat by the winless PSU team. If Michigan loses their remaining games, I would imagine these 2 coaching changes would generate plenty of smoke in the rumor mill chimney....

You must be the guy who started the rumor after Iowa's first 2 games that Ferentz was taking over as AD next year and Bob Stoops was coming in to coach.

ISU was UL's 3rd easiest game, math major. They beat Ga State by 3, ga southern by 2, UAB by 4, texas st by 10, and ark st by 7. LOL, please tell us about this powerhouse. Big 12 is garbage, half the conference is awful.
Half?? I’d say like 13 or 14 Big12 teams are garbage this year.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT