ADVERTISEMENT

Hawkeye Women’s BBall Season 2023-2024

LOL funnily enough, during the NCAAT a few people were saying Addi was 6'5" -- IDK where they got that, keep dreaming tho.
If you look at a team photo, O'Grady is taller than Czinano and slightly taller than Goodman. I believe Czinano was always listed at 6'3' so it was reasonable to assume O'Grady was at least 6'4'.

If O'Grady is really 6'3' then Czinano is shorter than she was always listed.

Wasn't Goodman suppose to be neck and neck with Czinano when it came to replacing Gustafson (back in the day) and injuries have just limited her development?
No, Czinano became the full-time starter in 2019-2020. Goodman was Czinano's backup as a freshman in 2020-2021. She looked good in that role, but was always going to backup Czinano.

The ACL injury certainly impacted Goodman's development, but frankly I'm not sure she was even back to her freshman year level last year. Hopefully with more time from the injury and a full off-season to work she can get back on track.

No, Czinano became the full-time starter in 2019-2020. Goodman was Czinano's backup as a freshman in 2020-2021. She looked good in that role, but was always going to backup Czinano.

The ACL injury certainly impacted Goodman's development, but frankly I'm not sure she was even back to her freshman year level last year. Hopefully with more time from the injury and a full off-season to work she can get back on track.
Pretty sure she was not back in game shape and didn't trust her knee... but this year will be 2nd year back. I expect her to make a big jump assu.ing she is healthy.

Reactions: cyberhawk
I rewatched the Louisville game this past weekend and couldn’t help but be impressed by Hannah Stuelke. Simply put, she had no problem staying in front of her opponent (low bar, I know, but it’s us). A few things struck me:
  • To think that Stuelke was banging around with Aaliyah Boston and holding her own is pretty amazing. Her experience in big games, esp. the NCAAT run, will pay dividends. Few freshmen get to put in minutes like that against so many Elite 8+ teams.
  • I’m also glad O’Grady ended the year strong. She didn’t have the breakout year we expected but she made some strides in the gym bc she worked her way from a bench burner to a solid part of the rotation when it mattered.
  • No one has really discussed the potential upside for our DEFENSE with a rotation of Stuelke, O’Grady and Goodman at the 4 and 5. Those 3 bring some defensive capabilities that we haven’t seen in a few years in the post. People keep focusing on losing Czinano and Warnock, but they were easily our 2 worst defenders.
  • Furthermore, if I had to choose, I’d rather be working on rebuilding our bigs than our guards. Esp in Bluder’s system, our posts can adapt more easily from reserve to starter.
  • I’m hopeful Martin and Marshalls production becomes more consistent. 15-20 pts most nights would be ideal. I do wonder if that’s a tall order (though it shouldn’t be for two 5th yrs).
  • Furthermore, I think if Bluder plays to Stuelke and O’Grady’s strengths, they should be productive too. Neither needs to be Czinano 2.0. But I think they can combine for 20-25 pts and 10-15 rebounds. Efficiency and turnovers loom large for both tho.
  • So many are focusing on Warnock’s ability to stretch the floor. Noted. But Bluder has proven that she knows how to be successful with a 2 in/3 out system. She used it to make the Elite 8 and win her FIRST BTT title in 2019.
  • We should also be a lot less nervous about Clark relying too much on one player. Next year she’ll not only continue to improve her vision and passing, but be forced to share the ball more equally amongst her teammates (bc no one will be as automatic — or as easily neutralized by teams like NC state, IU, UConn, MD — as Czinano).
I guess I’m saying theres a real chance our offense becomes a more well rounded next year AND also a good chance that our defense improves as well.

Is there a world in which our 4 starters not named Clark could all easily go for 8-12 on any given night? On paper that shouldn’t be too difficult with Stuelke’s speed, O’Grady’s height, and two 5th yr seniors.

Not to mention Clark being Clark and returning 10 other kids who have played together for 1-2 years already, many of whom could start at other P5s (Feuerbach did, as a freshman). Most coaches would say this is an enviable position to be in!

My biggest worry for next season — will we ever learn to defend the 3 pt line? It seems almost all of our most excruciating losses this and last season (K-State, Creighton, @Illinois, @ MD, vs OSU in ‘22, LSU) all occurred bc we simply couldn’t (wouldn’t?) guard the perimeter. I for one would love to see some growth in that regard for next year.

Side note: I was also reminded of that ESPN article from the fall that listed the 20 WBB players who need a breakout season for their team to reach its potential…including Gabbie Marshall. Almost prescient. I wonder how her off-season is going.

Last edited:
Reactions: kceasthawk
I rewatched the Louisville game this past weekend and couldn’t help but be impressed by Hannah Stuelke. Simply put, she had no problem staying in front of her opponent (low bar, I know, but it’s us). A few things struck me:
  • To think that Stuelke was banging around with Aaliyah Boston and holding her own is pretty amazing. Her experience in big games, esp. the NCAAT run, will pay dividends. Few freshmen get to put in minutes like that against so many Elite 8+ teams.
  • I’m also glad O’Grady ended the year strong. She didn’t have the breakout year we expected but she made some strides in the gym bc she worked her way from a bench burner to a solid part of the rotation when it mattered.
  • No one has really discussed the potential upside for our DEFENSE with a rotation of Stuelke, O’Grady and Goodman at the 4 and 5. Those 3 bring some defensive capabilities that we haven’t seen in a few years in the post. People keep focusing on losing Czinano and Warnock, but they were easily our 2 worst defenders.
  • Furthermore, if I had to choose, I’d rather be working on rebuilding our bigs than our guards. Esp in Bluder’s system, our posts can adapt more easily from reserve to starter.
  • I’m hopeful Martin and Marshalls production becomes more consistent. 15-20 pts most nights would be ideal. I do wonder if that’s a tall order (though it shouldn’t be for two 5th yrs).
  • Furthermore, I think if Bluder plays to Stuelke and O’Grady’s strengths, they should be productive too. Neither needs to be Czinano 2.0. But I think they can combine for 20-25 pts and 10-15 rebounds. Efficiency and turnovers loom large for both tho.
  • So many are focusing on Warnock’s ability to stretch the floor. Noted. But Bluder has proven that she knows how to be successful with a 2 in/3 out system. She used it to make the Elite 8 and win her FIRST BTT title in 2019.
  • We should also be a lot less nervous about Clark relying too much on one player. Next year she’ll not only continue to improve her vision and passing, but be forced to share the ball more equally amongst her teammates (bc no one will be as automatic — or as easily neutralized by teams like NC state, IU, UConn, MD — as Czinano).
I guess I’m saying theres a real chance our offense becomes a more well rounded next year AND also a good chance that our defense improves as well.

Is there a world in which our 4 starters not named Clark could all easily go for 8-12 on any given night? On paper that shouldn’t be too difficult with Stuelke’s speed, O’Grady’s height, and two 5th yr seniors.

Not to mention Clark being Clark and returning 10 other kids who have played together for 1-2 years already, many of whom could start at other P5s (Feuerbach did, as a freshman). Most coaches would say this is an enviable position to be in!

My biggest worry for next season — will we ever learn to defend the 3 pt line? It seems almost all of our most excruciating losses this and last season (K-State, Creighton, @Illinois, @ MD, vs OSU in ‘22, LSU) all occurred bc we simply couldn’t (wouldn’t?) guard the perimeter. I for one would love to see some growth in that regard for next year.

Side note: I was also reminded of that ESPN article from the fall that listed the 20 WBB players who need a breakout season for their team to reach its potential…including Gabbie Marshall. Almost prescient. I wonder how her off-season is going.
I think defense and rebounding are a big reason why a Stuelke-O'Grady 4-5 combo makes sense. Even if the offense regresses a bit, defensive and rebounding improvements could offset that or even make the team better overall.

I think Stuelke will be the second leading scorer next year. Frankly I think the biggest reason for that is transition. If Stuelke is playing starter minutes there's a good chance she'll steal a bucket or two per game in transition just by outrunning everyone and having Clark hit the home run pass. She's also been pretty efficient in the half court, but Iowa hasn't had a big who can run like she can.

I don't really think Marshall broke out. In the tournament she scored: 3, 15, 7, 14, 0, and 12. That's 8.5 ppg on average, which is higher than her junior and senior year average, but lower than her sophomore year. And in the 14 point game she was 3-9 from three. That's not a bad percentage, but shows the results were more about volume. Marshall was vital against Maryland and Georgia, but overall she's still the same player. She just had a great shooting stretch that offset the poor start to the year.

I don't really think Marshall broke out. In the tournament she scored: 3, 15, 7, 14, 0, and 12. That's 8.5 ppg on average, which is higher than her junior and senior year average, but lower than her sophomore year. And in the 14 point game she was 3-9 from three. That's not a bad percentage, but shows the results were more about volume. Marshall was vital against Maryland and Georgia, but overall she's still the same player. She just had a great shooting stretch that offset the poor start to the year.
Do you not think making the all big ten tourney team would classify as breaking out? :)

Do you not think making the all big ten tourney team would classify as breaking out? :)
No. Didn't Kate Martin make the Big Ten Tournament team in 2022? She had a great tournament, but looked like the same player this year that she was last year (though with better three-point shooting).

Marshall had a very good tournament. Her game against Maryland was excellent. But she's basically the same player now that she was when she started the season.

Edit: Finally found a source. Kate didn't make the team, but was probably the first player off. Overall her Big Ten Tournament in 2022 were some of the best games she played. Clark and Czinano just had one or two monster games.

So many are focusing on Warnock’s ability to stretch the floor. Noted. But Bluder has proven that she knows how to be successful with a 2 in/3 out system. She used it to make the Elite 8 and win her FIRST BTT title in 2019.
Ahem, Coach Bluder's first BTT title was with Cara Consuegra, Lindsey Meder, Leah Magner, Jennie Lillis and Randi Peterson. I don't think Jennie Lillis was much of a 3-point shooter, though.

Marshall had a very good tournament. Her game against Maryland was excellent. But she's basically the same player now that she was when she started the season.
Hm I guess I meant it more along the lines of...Marshall was clearly struggling the first half of the season. And it didn't feel like we were fulfilling our potential. We were all frustrated with the Ls (and many of us were frustrated with Marshall).

But then, come the BTT...Marshall comes alive, and well...you can't say we didn't fulfill our potential. Really, we exceeded it. I dont think we should forget what is certainly an interesting happenstance. I'm doubtful we would have won the BTT or made the NC game without Marshall.

I'm curious what kind of coverage/expectations will be in store for Martin and Marshall heading into next season among non-Iowa fans.

I'm not quite as confident re: the post players for next year. I think you have to look at the 4 and 5 together, as both Czinano and Warnock departed. I think the way Bluder would like to go is O'Grady starting at the 5, and Stuelke at 4. But O'Grady is not particularly athletic, and didn't make much of a jump from her freshman year. She seems a little slow, passive, and doesn't have Monika's hands. If Coach has to start Stuelke or Ediger at post, then who is the 4? We would also be an undersized team in that configuration, and none of our 4/5's can stretch a D with outside shooting like Monika did. So I think all 5 (including Goodman and Gyamfi) need significant growth in their game in order for Iowa to be as competitive as they were last season. Maybe we'll see that, but to me it seems far from assured. I have a lot more confidence in our PG, 2, and 3 players.
I have been curious about Gyamfi. I was googling her and came across a description of her as “F/PG” — found that interesting since you rarely see the combo and bc I haven’t heard of that part of her game. But I do recall Bluder saying last season that she would likely play her at the 4 her freshman year and ideally move her to the 3 as she got older. If Bluder sees her as a 3, it suggests Gyamfi has good ball handling skills and can shoot the 3. Those skills would explain the unique position combo.

I guess I wonder if Gyamfi at 4 and Stuelke at 5 this season is an underrated possibility. All I know about Gyamfi is that she’s fairly athletic, so that sounds promising to say the least. I could be way off base here; that positional combo may have just been a recruiting tactic.

However, I think O’grady has potential at the 4 as well. She has a nice jump shot and according to recent footage, can shoot the 3. She’s not fast / agile but neither was Warnock. Not sure how her rebounding would fair as a starter…could see it going in either direction.

If none of our Fs can pair up to become productive enough on O, I do think there’s a possibility that a newfound focus on D could make up for that. We would be guard heavy (as we should be tbh considering we return 3 from our NC roster — including 2 5th yrs ) on offense, but a drop in our O due to a rebuilding in our front court (say going from #1 to #15) might be balanced out by an even more pronounced improvement in D over all.

There’s no reason we shouldn’t be significantly better at D next year. We return our 3 best defenders, Stuelke can stay in front of anyone + will continue to get D boards. O’Grady / Goodman should be the best rim protectors we’ve had in awhile.

I get that Warnock stretched the floor. Noted. And appreciated! I’m just not sure it’s as vital to us being competitive as everyone thinks. We were competitive with two posts on the floor in 2019. I also don’t think anyone will sag off any of our guards after this season. We can also play small — we beat OSU (then undefeated / #2 in the country) without Warnock this year. That alone speaks volumes tbh. I have also been re-watching games and man was Warnock a turnover machine. Defenses lazered in on her when she had the ball, and it worked. I think there are definitely some positives to having a new kind of player at the 4 (and if shooting the 3, rebounding and ball handling are what Bluder wants, as opposed to slashing and post play, it may very well be Martin, with someone new at the 2 or 3).

Last edited:
I have been curious about Gyamfi. I was googling her and came across a description of her as “F/PG” — found that interesting since you rarely see the combo and bc I haven’t heard of that part of her game. But I do recall Bluder saying last season that she would likely play her at the 4 her freshman year and ideally move her to the 3 as she got older. If Bluder sees her as a 3, it suggests Gyamfi has good ball handling skills and can shoot the 3. Those skills would explain the unique position combo.

I guess I wonder if Gyamfi at 4 and Stuelke at 5 this season is an underrated possibility. All I know about Gyamfi is that she’s fairly athletic, so that sounds promising to say the least. I could be way off base here; that positional combo may have just been a recruiting tactic.

However, I think O’grady has potential at the 4 as well. She has a nice jump shot and according to recent footage, can shoot the 3. She’s not fast / agile but neither was Warnock. Not sure how her rebounding would fair as a starter…could see it going in either direction.

If none of our Fs can pair up to become productive enough on O, I do think there’s a possibility that a newfound focus on D could make up for that. We would be guard heavy (as we should be tbh considering we return 3 from our NC roster — including 2 5th yrs ) on offense, but a drop in our O due to a rebuilding in our front court (say going from #1 to #15) might be balanced out by an even more pronounced improvement in D over all.

There’s no reason we shouldn’t be significantly better at D next year. We return our 3 best defenders, Stuelke can stay in front of anyone + will continue to get D boards. O’Grady / Goodman should be the best rim protectors we’ve had in awhile.

I get that Warnock stretched the floor. Noted. And appreciated! I’m just not sure it’s as vital to us being competitive as everyone thinks. We were competitive with two posts on the floor in 2019. I also don’t think anyone will sag off any of our guards after this season. We can also play small — we beat OSU (then undefeated / #2 in the country) without Warnock this year. That alone speaks volumes tbh. I have also been re-watching games and man was Warnock a turnover machine. Defenses lazered in on her when she had the ball, and it worked. I think there are definitely some positives to having a new kind of player at the 4 (and if shooting the 3, rebounding and ball handling are what Bluder wants, as opposed to slashing and post play, it may very well be Martin, with someone new at the 2 or 3).
I think we get more scoring from Stuelke this year as she will be more of a focus on offense. OGrady has a jump shot, and will hopefully come along on offense with more playing time. It seems like there should be some ways to modify the offense to play to her strengths, but she's not going to be the security blanket that cinzano was. I think her defense will be better. There were a few games over the last two years where iowa has gone on big runs with her in due to defense plus rebounding. She also moves to create space when other players drive, so with time there could be some options for her to be open when a driver gets doubled.

I think there are definitely some positives to having a new kind of player at the 4 (and if shooting the 3, rebounding and ball handling are what Bluder wants, as opposed to slashing and post play, it may very well be Martin, with someone new at the 2 or 3).
You may be onto something there. Kate Martin reminds me of Kelly Krei ten years ago, who was an undersized but effective PF. I could definitely see Coach Bluder starting the season with Martin at 4 and Feuerbach at 3, since she always favors experience in the starting lineup early on. Krei was probably more athletic but Martin is the glue. I'll never forget seeing Kelly blaze around the track for City in a 55 second 400.

Last edited:
You may be onto something there. Kate Martin reminds me of Kelly Krei ten years ago, who was an undersized but effective PF. I could definitely see Coach Bluder starting the season with Martin at 4 and Feuerbach at 3, since she always favors experience in the starting lineup early on. Krei was probably more athletic but Martin is the glue. I'll never forget seeing Kelly blaze around the track for City in a 55 second 400.
If Martin goes to the 4, I might venture to predict that Affolter has the slight edge to nab the 3 spot over Feuerbach.

I think her rebounding and driving skills are superior to Feuerbach, tho Feuerbach (if healthy) may have the edge when it comes to ball handling, speed and shooting the 3. If Feuerbach can shoot clutch 3s like she did in HS and her injury doesn’t hold her back, that might be enough. Again, not sure where Gyamfi falls in here but due to experience, would have to guess she is 3rd in line.

I am doubtful Bluder puts Davis or McCabe in the starting lineup unless either is seriously dropping bombs in practice and also SIGNIFICANTLY impressing on D.

If Martin goes to the 4, I might venture to predict that Affolter has the slight edge to nab the 3 spot over Feuerbach.

I think her rebounding and driving skills are superior to Feuerbach, tho Feuerbach (if healthy) may have the edge when it comes to ball handling, speed and shooting the 3. If Feuerbach can shoot clutch 3s like she did in HS and her injury doesn’t hold her back, that might be enough. Again, not sure where Gyamfi falls in here but due to experience, would have to guess she is 3rd in line.

I am doubtful Bluder puts Davis or McCabe in the starting lineup unless either is seriously dropping bombs in practice and also SIGNIFICANTLY impressing on D.
You might even be underselling Affolter's rebounding. Here are the per-40 rebounding numbers from each player's last healthy season for perspective:

Addison O'Grady: 10.0
Monika Czinano: 9.3 (was 7.1, 7.9, and 8.6 in her 3 prior seasons)
Sydney Affolter: 9.0
Caitlin Clark: 8.3
McKenna Warnock: 8.1
Kate Martin: 5.8
Kylie Feuerbach: 3.6
Gabbie Marshall: 2.2

Per-40 numbers have their flaws, especially for bench players. Affolter might not be quite as good as her numbers, but she's still the best rebounding wing option Iowa has by a wide margin.

Does anywhere publish the plus minus points advanced Stat for women? Herhoopsstats maybe?
Don't think Her Hoop Stats does. Of the modern stats, they have PER, various win share stats, and usage, but not + or box plus minus.

Don't think Her Hoop Stats does. Of the modern stats, they have PER, various win share stats, and usage, but not + or box plus minus.
And generally I don't think plus-minus is viewed as an overly helpful or predictive stat. For bench players, one or two big runs in a short period (or minutes in garbage time) can really skew it. For Clark, her plus-minus is basically whatever the team's is except for some of the fourth quarter in blowouts.

And generally I don't think plus-minus is viewed as an overly helpful or predictive stat. For bench players, one or two big runs in a short period (or minutes in garbage time) can really skew it. For Clark, her plus-minus is basically whatever the team's is except for some of the fourth quarter in blowouts.
Any news out of practice yet? I saw some tweets on monday... nothing since then though...

2023-2024 roster…

Reactions: shikreto
Any news out of practice yet? I saw some tweets on monday... nothing since then though...
I don't expect to learn much from the practices this early. Frankly we don't seem to hear much from practice apart from bad news like injuries.

I am somewhat hopeful we'll learn something while the team is abroad. Even a box score or game summary could be helpful. A livestream would be even better.

The biggest question I have is what they intend to do at the 4. Will they keep using the stretch-4 system and plug in Martin, Affolter, etc. or will they go big and put Stuelke/O'Grady there.

I don't think the trip abroad will answer that question definitively, but it might give us an idea where they're leaning at this point.

Reactions: shikreto
The NCAA has implemented a couple notable rule changes: a flopping rule will be implemented, a technical for delay of game will go to the team not to a player, elimination of the restricted arc.

Iowa will host Bowling Green on December 2. BG had a deep run into the WNIT and finished 31-7 with a NET ranking of 67.

Reactions: brfhilltop
I don't expect to learn much from the practices this early. Frankly we don't seem to hear much from practice apart from bad news like injuries.

I am somewhat hopeful we'll learn something while the team is abroad. Even a box score or game summary could be helpful. A livestream would be even better.

The biggest question I have is what they intend to do at the 4. Will they keep using the stretch-4 system and plug in Martin, Affolter, etc. or will they go big and put Stuelke/O'Grady there.

I don't think the trip abroad will answer that question definitively, but it might give us an idea where they're leaning at this point.
I think one of the biggest things will be to help build the trust and familiarity between clark and the posts. Clark and cinzano always knew where the other would be, it seems like that is less the case with OGrady.

I think one of the biggest things will be to help build the trust and familiarity between clark and the posts. Clark and cinzano always knew where the other would be, it seems like that is less the case with OGrady.
While I do think O’grady will continue to improve and will get minutes, I’m increasingly convinced the path of least resistance will be sliding Martin to the 4, starting Stuelke at the 5 and starting either Feuerbach or Affolter at the 3.

Clearly Affolter and Feuerbach need to improve their 3 pt shooting but I think catch-and-shoot can likely developed more easily for them than O’Grady’s hands/speed.
  • If Feuerbach starts (meaning her injury isn’t holding her back), this would be a very FAST line up.
  • If Affolter starts, we’d start 4 excellent rebounders and 4 players who could be a threat driving to the basket as well.
I think Affolter is most likely to start if only bc Feuerbach is still coming off injury.

Defensively this lineup isn’t as strong as if O’Grady starts. But hey that’s typical for us lmao.

Last edited:
That gets you a lot of wins against smaller teams. But will leave them less competitive against the top teams. So lots of wins but Lowe chance of a shot at the title vs fewer wins but better title odds.

That gets you a lot of wins against smaller teams. But will leave them less competitive against the top teams. So lots of wins but Lowe chance of a shot at the title vs fewer wins but better title odds.
Maybe but it worked against Ohio State?

I have rewatched the Indiana, South Carolina and Louisville games lately and two things continue to stand out to me 1) Warnock is a turnover machine. I think we have kind of glossed over that. 2) Czinano is so slow. Strong for sure but man. Even in our best games….glaring facepalm moments. This lineup just seems better fundamentally than what we had this year.

Also ESPN has us at #3 in the preseason right now. I’m curious, where do you think we are in the top 25? Who are the “top teams” that our best 4-out lineup would fare poorly against, especially when compared to playing with two bigs? Ohio State, Maryland, Notre Dame all lack true posts going into next year. Do we need to worry about playing big against them?

You may be more worried about beating UConn and LSU than MD and OSU, but I don’t think Bluder is.

While I do think O’grady will continue to improve and will get minutes, I’m increasingly convinced the path of least resistance will be sliding Martin to the 4, starting Stuelke at the 5 and starting either Feuerbach or Affolter at the 3.

Clearly Affolter and Feuerbach need to improve their 3 pt shooting but I think catch-and-shoot can likely developed more easily for them than O’Grady’s hands/speed.
  • If Feuerbach starts (meaning her injury isn’t holding her back), this would be a very FAST line up.
  • If Affolter starts, we’d start 4 excellent rebounders and 4 players who could be a threat driving to the basket as well.
I think Affolter is most likely to start if only bc Feuerbach is still coming off injury.

Defensively this lineup isn’t as strong as if O’Grady starts. But hey that’s typical for us lmao.
This may finally be the year that Coach Bluder has multiple starting lineup options depending on the matchups.

This may finally be the year that Coach Bluder has multiple starting lineup options depending on the matchups.
That would make sense, if OGrady was better at getting into the flow of the game quickly. I think she is going to need a bunch of early season minutes to get close to her ceiling. So it's a higher risk higher reward strategy. It's also possible that she plays outside on offense and stuelke plays inside. That allows her to set screens while Stuelke posts up. On defense she could be a rim protector and Stuelke could guardcthe 4

That would make sense, if OGrady was better at getting into the flow of the game quickly. I think she is going to need a bunch of early season minutes to get close to her ceiling. So it's a higher risk higher reward strategy. It's also possible that she plays outside on offense and stuelke plays inside. That allows her to set screens while Stuelke posts up. On defense she could be a rim protector and Stuelke could guardcthe 4
I posted previously that this line up would truly give us a defensive presence like never before, and I still think that. Stuelke can stay in front of anyone and O’Grady could be (already is?) our best shot blocker since Gustafson. I’m just not convinced it’ll be Bluder’s go-to strategy. But it clearly has its advantages.

Here's Iowa's Big Ten schedule for next year:

Home Only: Illinois, Michigan, Michigan State, Penn State
Away Only: Maryland, Northwestern, Purdue, Rutgers
Home and Away: Indiana, Minnesota, Nebraska, Ohio State, Wisconsin

Indiana, Ohio State, and Iowa are likely the top three teams in the conference at the moment. Maryland, Illinois, and Michigan will likely be good again as well. We'll see if Nebraska can rebound or if Purdue can take a step.

From an expected win-loss perspective playing Indiana and Ohio State twice is rough. But it also gives Iowa a good chance for marquee wins and more control of its destiny in the conference race.

If you're only going to play a team once, you'd rather do so at home. At Maryland and at Purdue will be tough, but the Northwestern and Rutgers games shouldn't be bad. Iowa was fortunate to get Illinois, Michigan, and Michigan State in their home-only games.

Last edited:
Are there any hints on WBB ticket sales, timing and process? We haven’t heard anything about our season ticket beyond “Later.” We’re grandfathered in at Row 15 midcourt. We expect to have to contribute to stay there.

“Current Season (2022-23) WBB Ticket Holders will be contacted regarding their renewals later this summer.”
https://hawkeyesports.com/tickets/wbb/

Reactions: mphawk
The NCAA has implemented a couple notable rule changes: a flopping rule will be implemented, a technical for delay of game will go to the team not to a player, elimination of the restricted arc.

Iowa will host Bowling Green on December 2. BG had a deep run into the WNIT and finished 31-7 with a NET ranking of 67.
Ah yes. The Caitlin Clark rule. Lets not foul out the games biggest star on some stupid rule thats left totally to some ref.....

Here's an article with expanded analysis on Iowa's Big Ten opponents.
Thought the description below of the BIG WBB scheduling process was interesting. The BIG has done a pretty good job with the 18-game conference schedule (hope it goes to 20 next year), but when you get a surprise like Illinois last year, it really throws things off.

"The Big Ten women's basketball schedule is determined annually based on predicted order of finish. The teams were tiered into like groups and those tiers were used to mathematically develop a competitively-balanced and equitable 18-game conference schedule with teams playing similar tiered teams more frequently. All teams will play away at the four teams they did not travel to last year."

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT