ADVERTISEMENT

Hawkeye Women’s BBall Season 2023-2024

JFC. I have to say that as much as I may enjoy gossip, I have to agree with everyone here who wants to keep this and other threads strictly to the discussion of basketball. I’m saying this as a married boomer lesbian who has been around the block more than a few times. Please just stop. Most people don’t give a shit and really just want to discuss basketball. If you want to discuss the personal lives of the team members, start a separate thread and I’ll be very happy to follow.

JFC. I have to say that as much as I may enjoy gossip, I have to agree with everyone here who wants to keep this and other threads strictly to the discussion of basketball. I’m saying this as a married boomer lesbian who has been around the block more than a few times. Please just stop. Most people don’t give a shit and really just want to discuss basketball. If you want to discuss the personal lives of the team members, start a separate thread and I’ll be very happy to follow.
P.s. For anyone who is offended, religiously opposed, etc., to who I am, please block me. I’m happy to do the same. And since I’m here and saying we just want to talk bball, please stop with the misogynistic shit, too. I don’t give a **** about which player is hot, etc. 🤷🏻‍♀️

Reactions: iarick and LinusPF
You sure do like to make sure people fall under the labels that you place on them rather than let them choose their own labels.

It’s almost like you are a judgmental asshole from the Midwest.
Appears you are being judgmental as well about people in the Midwest!

Not me. I’m not on this thread spreading gossip.
Girl come correct, this is not gossip, this is information that was willingly and enthusiastically shared with the public as a celebration. Please save your small town pearl-clutching for another bitch bc I am not the one.

Besides, if it’s ACTUAL secondhand gossip you want, check out this Reddit thread on LSU’s summer practices.

Top comment is as interesting as it is predictable:

“I'm pretty familiar with LSU's program. 9 out of the 12 players have essentially been there since late June and have participated in classes, Weight room/conditioning with some scrimmages and individual work (including Flaujae). The only 3 who haven't been there have been Morrow, HVL and Reese. Morrow is now on campus but I heard there was a family matter previously so she showed up later. HVL is currently wrapping up the 3 v 3 stuff before heading to LSU but has been in a gym all summer.

Reese seems to be traveling a different city every other day. Her not being with the team all summer isn't a great look to me for the supposed team leader and how she looked in the FIBA games. If Flaujae can be back with the team working hard with the underclassmen and doing her NIL/projects on weekends, so can Reese... buts thats just me. I just think she will go into fall camp kind of behind the ball catching up.”

The r/NCAAW sub-reddit is a great place for WBB intel and analysis. Lots of people with insight into other programs as well as a couple NCAA officials who can settle disagreements or what not. Very respectful and very inclusive, unlike the Twitter WBB scene. Iowa fans are very well represented there as well, only UConn has more fans. South Carolina fans had to eat so much crow after the Final Four lol but they are believers now. Maybe bc they hate LSU like more than they hate us lol.

In all fairness, some LSU fans are now just as toxic as SC fans were this time last year but generally the community keeps homers in check with downvotes. Lots of Indiana fans as well, their popularity surged this year.

Last edited by a moderator:
Lol at the fact that you think dating on teams is rare 🤣🤣 Happens alllll the time. My partner’s sister played D1 softball and the stories she told lmao. It was WAY more than one couple…

I don’t necessarily disagree that it could mess with team chemistry. Sure, shit happens. But it can happen without romance as well. The world can be a lonely place for gay black kids, I’m glad they found each other. I don’t see why thats controversial.

Seems speculative to assume it’ll end badly. I think the massive overrepresentation of straight guys here who know few gay people / don’t follow women’s sports is showing… look at the WNBA. Never once have I heard of “chemistry” issues but the number of player-player relationships is sky high. And btw when WNBA players post news about relationships, it’s celebrated.

Kids go through stuff all the time, we always have to hope they’ll make mature decisions. Hannah is a good kid, are we really that worried about her when football players are breaking NCAA rules and their coach had to settle a lawsuit after being accused of racism? All kids go through break ups. This is likely not a major problem in the grand scheme of things. Our players are happy, we should be happy.

Regardless, my problem is with the people that think it’s “no one’s business.” They sound like Kim Mulkey. And remember, our coach is NOT Mulkey. Kennise is not going to stop posting about her life bc some old straight guys on a message board are triggered. And IDK that Bluder needs your advice. I doubt she would tell her players how to live. She is perfectly capable of handling interpersonal dynamics. TBH she likely has done it before.
Very few people give two F's who people prefer to "date" so stop trying to make it into something it's not. And yes, when you spend a lot of time with someone there will always be the chance it goes to the next level. What is being said and not really comprehended, is very often that can end badly. It's tough enough when a break up happens and one member of the team struggles. When on the same team, now you have two. Often sides will be taken. Not sure how you can't understand how a situation like this can be bad for a team.

Reactions: hawkod
Very few people give two F's who people prefer to "date" so stop trying to make it into something it's not. And yes, when you spend a lot of time with someone there will always be the chance it goes to the next level. What is being said and not really comprehended, is very often that can end badly. It's tough enough when a break up happens and one member of the team struggles. When on the same team, now you have two. Often sides will be taken. Not sure how you can't understand how a situation like this can be bad for a team.
Yawn. My brother in Christ let it die.

The bracket for the Thanksgiving tournament has been released. Iowa plays Purdue-Fort Wayne. Second round will be Delaware or Florida Gulf Coast.

Our non-conference schedule finally dropped a few hours ago!

Oct 15 vs DePaul (#62) (exh in Kinnick)
Oct 22 vs Clarke (N/A) (exh)
---
Nov 6 vs FDU (#137)
Nov 9 vs Virginia Tech (#7) (neutral court game in North Carolina)
Nov 12 @ UNI (#64)
Nov 16 vs KSU (#58)
Nov 19 vs Drake (#51)
Nov 24 Purdue Fort Wayne (#243) (Gulf Coast Showcase)
Nov 25 FGCU/Delaware (#37/#182)(Gulf Coast Showcase)
Nov 26 likely either North Carolina (#24) or KSU again (Gulf Coast Showcase)
Dec 2 vs Bowling Green (#67)
Dec 6 @ ISU (#15)
Dec 16 vs Cleveland State (#69) (in Wells Fargo Arena, Des Moines)
Dec 21 vs Loyola Chicago (#270)

Edited to add last year's NET rankings. Only 2-3 games are pure "cupcakes" I would say. The rest is what I'd call a typical Iowa schedule consisting of the in-state rivalry games, a few quality P5 opponents, and a few games against solid mid-majors.

Last edited:

Our non-conference schedule finally dropped a few hours ago!

Oct 15 vs DePaul (exh at Kinnick)
Oct 22 vs Clarke (exh)
Nov 6 vs FDU
Nov 9 vs Virginia Tech (neutral court game in North Carolina)
Nov 12 @ UNI
Nov 16 vs KSU
Nov 19 vs Drake
Nov 24 Purdue Fort Wayne (Gulf Coast Showcase)
Nov 25 FGCU/Delaware (Gulf Coast Showcase)
Nov 26 likely either North Carolina or KSU again (Gulf Coast Showcase)
Dec 2 vs Bowling Green
Dec 6 @ ISU
Dec 16 vs Cleveland State
Dec 21 vs Loyola Chicago
Man, a down Iowa State really brings this nonconference strength of schedule down some; having them be top 15 the past number of years helped the SOS a considerable amount. Hopefully Iowa will meet North Carolina in the GCS final.

Man, a down Iowa State really brings this nonconference strength of schedule down some; having them be top 15 the past number of years helped the SOS a considerable amount. Hopefully Iowa will meet North Carolina in the GCS final.
Even if ISU has a down year by their recent standards, a win in Ames (a big if...) would likely still be a quad 1 victory for us. But you're totally right, it won't be a ranked matchup like we've grown used to the past few years.

Reactions: BraydonRoberts5
New bracketology out by Charlie Creme at ESPN. Big Ten seeds: OSU # 1, Iowa # 2, IU # 3, MD # 4, Illinois # 7, Nebraska # 7, Michigan # 8, Purdue #11/play-in (also UCLA # 1, USC # 5, Washington # 8).

Even if ISU has a down year by their recent standards, a win in Ames (a big if...) would likely still be a quad 1 victory for us. But you're totally right, it won't be a ranked matchup like we've grown used to the past few years.

Based on their top-10 recruiting class and significant transfers if they find chemistry, I wouldn't be surprised to see them rated early on.

FWIW, just saw that Charlie Creme updated his Bracketology for next year. Iowa State nowhere to be found in the field of 68. Iowa a 2 seed opposite UCLA.

FWIW, just saw that Charlie Creme updated his Bracketology for next year. Iowa State nowhere to be found in the field of 68. Iowa a 2 seed opposite UCLA.

Not surprised at all. Brand new roster.

Carryover 2 starters, Ryan 5'8" G, Diew 6'2", reserves Zinargo 6'4" F, Dawkins 5.6" G

Killer recruiting class.
4" 6'3'" and growing athletic G/F (TX), *4 6'2" F (KS), 4" 6'3" F/C Audie Crooks (IA), (3) 3* G (IA)

6'5" mid major 1st Team all-conference transfer.
(2) time Division II All America NCAA shooting guard.
LSU 6.2" transfer - eligible next year.

Won't compete at Iowa's level (yet) but the video I've seen on the TX gal, Jaylnn Bristow is awesome. She is taller and lighter, looks a bit more athletic than Hannah. She won't win a shoving match but I'd be surprised not to see her take ball off the rim. She's not rated as high as the recruit from KS (Addy Brown). Have to see it. They say she is still growing and extremely agile.

Can't wait for the Hannah/Bristow matchups. This 6'5" transfer from Sacramento State is question mark having not played in a Power 5 conference. Crooks is a ? in my opinion. Her height worked in HS and AAU but this is the big leagues.

Not too much to complain about in the conference schedule released today. 5 weekend conference home games (3 Sat.; 2 Sun.). Only real negative is a Feb. trip to Maryland. Maryland's home conference losses typically come early in the season, or not at all, and the Terps have lost 1 Feb. home conference game since joining the BIG in 2014-15.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT