ADVERTISEMENT

Hawkeye Women’s BBall Season 2023-2024

Does anyone know when WBB Summer Media day is? I feel like it was about this time last year, and with the summer trip I felt like we would be hearing about something upcoming. But I know football had theirs today, so maybe still a week or 2 off?

It's a few days old now, but below is a link to a good article from Chad Leistikow with Bluder and Jensen discussing a range of topics. A couple highlights:

So far it sounds like the plan is for O'Grady/Goodman to play the 5 and Stuelke the 4. They mention that Stuelke could play the 5 if necessary, but that doesn't sound like Plan A for now.

There was also good discussion on the transfer portal. I mentioned for a while that outside the top few big names that there didn't seem like too many options that would be clear upgrades for Iowa. Coach Bluder reinforced that, saying there were maybe 10 players in the portal this year that she thought were good enough to make an impact at Iowa and it just didn't workout with them.

https://www.hawkcentral.com/story/s...tlin-clark-final-four-lsu-portal/70428606007/

Ogrady spent part of the summer in Colorado working on 3 point shooting and post up moves. That tracks with Jan talking about doing more Pick and Pop. I assume Stuelke at the 4 would be inside threat in that case, or maybe they just play 5 out? I think they mentioed Stuelke was working on 3 point shooting, Ediger has some 3 poiters in her high school clips. Jayda supposedly can shoot the 3, that just leaves Goodman. I kind of see Sharon as the Monica role, but shes even bigger/stronger than Conzano when healthy. I dont think she would be as efficient, and as far as I can tell none of the other centers have the ability to catch everything like Monica did.

Reactions: Torg
Raina has been posting stories from practice and Affolter has been working on her 3 pt shot as well. Draining them in the latest vid, along with Marshall and Martin. Jada also looked good behind the arc recently.

Gyamfi is a mystery to me. She is very fluid, has a good shooting form and size. She has the tools to be much more than what we saw this year. Hopefully she emerges. Wetering is another I can see helping

Highly regarded/recruited. Never found a comfort groove in clean-up duty - nervousness. Mark it up to freshmanitis, but at the D1, B1G, National Championship level get over it and be ready to take things over, ala Hannah.

Ogrady spent part of the summer in Colorado working on 3 point shooting and post up moves. That tracks with Jan talking about doing more Pick and Pop. I assume Stuelke at the 4 would be inside threat in that case, or maybe they just play 5 out? I think they mentioed Stuelke was working on 3 point shooting, Ediger has some 3 poiters in her high school clips. Jayda supposedly can shoot the 3, that just leaves Goodman. I kind of see Sharon as the Monica role, but shes even bigger/stronger than Conzano when healthy. I dont think she would be as efficient, and as far as I can tell none of the other centers have the ability to catch everything like Monica did.

Monica was masterful at using the glass in her scoring. It seemed O'Grady opts to shoot short shot straight-a-way rather than banking, which reduces accuracy plus possibility to anticipate angle for rebounds.

Reactions: Hawksbyamillion
We might get some info today. Press was invited to attend the last 10 minutes of practice, then Bluder, Jensen, and some players are available from 10-10:15.

I decided against making the trip. I think I've shared before, but I live an hour and a half from Iowa City, and am an attorney as my fulltime job. I just couldn't justify spending a big chunk of the day traveling to and from for 15 minutes of availability.

Not many teams could keep up with that lineup. Quickness can be a catalyst for rebounding against teams without height. Won't work for teams with trees at the 4 and 5 spots.

Reactions: Hawksbyamillion
I remember trying to make this point when people were posting names of players in the portal. If you brought one in, they needed to be a clear upgrade over the 5 post players on the roster, and you have to be prepared for some of the post players (the ones with the most options) to leave. I think O'Grady could start for a lot of Big10 teams. I think Sharon could follow the Cinzano playbook. So its all about the top 3-4 posts and what it would take to land them.

I don’t rly know where to post this lol.

But Kennise posted a photo to her Instagram story of her with Hannah and the caption was “Dates in Illinois ❤️” so I replied, “Wait, you two?!” and she replied, “Yep!”

Very cute, I hope they’re happy :)

But Kennise posted a photo to her Instagram story of her with Hannah and the caption was “Dates in Illinois ❤️” so I replied, “Wait, you two?!” and she replied, “Yep!”

Wow. You really are pushing this narrative aren't you...... :(

The fact you would even ask something like that shows how weird and socially awkward you must be.

Office romances often don't end well. A crack in team chemistry on the horizon?

Reactions: HIWILLE
What narrative is that exactly sir?
Really? The same one you've been pushing for awhile now. That for some reason we all need to know the players sexual preferences. The fact that they are on social media doesn't mean it needs to be trotted out here every week. Frankly if they are straight or "queer" as you like to put it doesn't bother me in any way, but I fail to see why this needs to be an ongoing topic on this board. Its nobodies business here, unless for some reason these life choices start affecting team chemistry or play on the court.

Last edited:
Really? The same one you've been pushing for awhile now. That for some reason we all need to know the players sexual preferences. The fact that they are on social media doesn't mean it needs to be trotted out here every week. Frankly if they are straight or "queer" as you like to put it doesn't bother me in any way, but I fail to see why this needs to be an ongoing topic on this board. Its nobodies business here, unless for some reason these life choices start affecting team chemistry or play on the court.
So it’s cute when Clark and some men’s team player are a couple and they don’t even announce it. It’s no one’s business when two girls post it on social media bc theyre proud and want fans to know. Typical.

• Haha
Reactions: LinusPF and HIWILLE
So it’s cute when Clark and some men’s team player are a couple and they don’t even announce it. It’s no one’s business when two girls post it on social media bc theyre proud and want fans to know. Typical.
Shikreto, I would maintain this is a completely different situation as it pertains to Iowa WBB. Hannah and Kennise are both teenagers; the statistical probability of them staying together for the next 3 years is small. This creates the likelihood of a split, and when a breakup occurs one or both of the parties are hurt emotionally.

Now add that to fact that they'll still have to see each other daily. Maybe that wouldn't be a problem, but again unlikely. Add in the potential trickle-down effect of possible friction between the 'Hannah Camp' vs the 'Kennise Camp', and there is the chance that the team's fantastic chemistry could be affected. This is why many companies have policies against in-office relationships.

Coaches Bluder AND Jensen need to have a sit down with these 2 young women (if they haven't already done so) to go over all of the ramifications of their relationship and how it could affect the team. Last thing we need in March is Hannah's head to be somewhere else because she's emotionally wobbly due to a split.

Is this fair to their personal lives? Probably not, but when you sign on to be part of something bigger than yourself this is part of that commitment. If they want to pursue each other in 3 years, or any other young woman currently on campus that's not on the basketball team right now, I have zero problem with that.

Shikreto, I would maintain this is a completely different situation as it pertains to Iowa WBB. Hannah and Kennise are both teenagers; the statistical probability of them staying together for the next 3 years is small. This creates the likelihood of a split, and when a breakup occurs one or both of the parties are hurt emotionally.

Now add that to fact that they'll still have to see each other daily. Maybe that wouldn't be a problem, but again unlikely. Add in the potential trickle-down effect of possible friction between the 'Hannah Camp' vs the 'Kennise Camp', and there is the chance that the team's fantastic chemistry could be affected. This is why many companies have policies against in-office relationships.

Coaches Bluder AND Jensen need to have a sit down with these 2 young women (if they haven't already done so) to go over all of the ramifications of their relationship and how it could affect the team. Last thing we need in March is Hannah's head to be somewhere else because she's emotionally wobbly due to a split.

Is this fair to their personal lives? Probably not, but when you sign on to be part of something bigger than yourself this is part of that commitment. If they want to pursue each other in 3 years, or any other young woman currently on campus that's not on the basketball team right now, I have zero problem with that.
Lol at the fact that you think dating on teams is rare 🤣🤣 Happens alllll the time. My partner’s sister played D1 softball and the stories she told lmao. It was WAY more than one couple…

I don’t necessarily disagree that it could mess with team chemistry. Sure, shit happens. But it can happen without romance as well. The world can be a lonely place for gay black kids, I’m glad they found each other. I don’t see why thats controversial.

Seems speculative to assume it’ll end badly. I think the massive overrepresentation of straight guys here who know few gay people / don’t follow women’s sports is showing… look at the WNBA. Never once have I heard of “chemistry” issues but the number of player-player relationships is sky high. And btw when WNBA players post news about relationships, it’s celebrated.

Kids go through stuff all the time, we always have to hope they’ll make mature decisions. Hannah is a good kid, are we really that worried about her when football players are breaking NCAA rules and their coach had to settle a lawsuit after being accused of racism? All kids go through break ups. This is likely not a major problem in the grand scheme of things. Our players are happy, we should be happy.

Regardless, my problem is with the people that think it’s “no one’s business.” They sound like Kim Mulkey. And remember, our coach is NOT Mulkey. Kennise is not going to stop posting about her life bc some old straight guys on a message board are triggered. And IDK that Bluder needs your advice. I doubt she would tell her players how to live. She is perfectly capable of handling interpersonal dynamics. TBH she likely has done it before.

Last edited:
Reactions: LinusPF
At one time, not long ago, if you were a manager or a male who practiced against the Hawkeye women's team, one had to sign an agreement to not date any of the players. Doe anyone know if that has changed?

You can keep your typical to yourself, if the conversation triggers you, then thats on you. Are we to follow the football team around on social media and see who their dating. Not really any bodies business. I don't have an issue with them posting about their personal lives should they choose to do so. I just don't see why YOU think we all need to know about who their dating. If you and others have some need to follow people around on freakin twitter so that you know every detail of their personal life, then go to it.....

And just as a point of reference I have a friend who has a son who's openly gay, another who is a cross dresser, and a daughter is gay, and the lady herself is bisexual. Different strokes for different folks.....

• Wow
You can keep your typical to yourself, if the conversation triggers you, then thats on you. Are we to follow the football team around on social media and see who their dating. Not really any bodies business. I don't have an issue with them posting about their personal lives should they choose to do so. I just don't see why YOU think we all need to know about who their dating. If you and others have some need to follow people around on freakin twitter so that you know every detail of their personal life, then go to it.....

And just as a point of reference I have a friend who has a son who's openly gay, another who is a cross dresser, and a daughter is gay, and the lady herself is bisexual. Different strokes for different folks.....
"I have a friend who has a son who's openly gay, another who is a cross dresser."

Lol it's just too good.

Last edited:
  • Wow
Sorry if your either offended, unbelieving, or simply can't comprehend the truth...... Again YOUR issue not mine..
But you're the one who got mad? Like, all you had to do was just read and ignore. If you don't like it, don't engage. Block or report me maybe even? Instead you went on an unhinged rant. Clearly one of us was triggered by a comment...and it certainly wasn't me.

I'm sorry but at the end of the day it's just funny. There is nothing controversial about a kid being their authentic self and posting their relationship on Instagram, just like all their teammates do. This is a fan site lol and I'm celebrating these kids as a fan. But you are either so old or so small town you JuSt CaNt HaNdlE It!! And you think you're a saint because you know a "cross dresser" lol whatever that even means omg.

You just seem like my belligerent uncle who has never left the state of Iowa but feels like he knows everything about the world, that me and all my cousins try to avoid when we're home for the Holidays. That's why I said that last comment was just, well, too good lol. YOU LITERALLY SAID YOU KNOW A CROSS DRESSER hahahahaha I'm actually giggling as I type this, it's that funny that you said that. On a public forum!! About a university! Lol....

Like our definitions of reality and reasonable reactions to things are just completely different, it's a great reminder how people can live in very, very different worlds. Our frames of reference are just incompatible. It's easy to forget how different life can be for people of different backgrounds and lifestyles. Have a great night, give your friend with a gay son my regards!!

Last edited:
But you're the one who got mad? Like, all you had to do was just read and ignore. If you don't like it, don't engage. Block or report me maybe even? Instead you went on an unhinged rant. Clearly one of us was triggered by a comment...and it certainly wasn't me.

I'm sorry but at the end of the day it's just funny. There is nothing controversial about a kid being their authentic self and posting their relationship on Instagram, just like all their teammates do. This is a fan site lol and I'm celebrating these kids as a fan. But you are either so old or so small town you JuSt CaNt HaNdlE It!! And you think you're a saint because you know a "cross dresser" lol whatever that even means omg.

You just seem like my belligerent uncle who has never left the state of Iowa but feels like he knows everything about the world, that me and all my cousins try to avoid when we're home for the Holidays. That's why I said that last comment was just, well, too good lol. YOU LITERALLY SAID YOU KNOW A CROSS DRESSER hahahahaha I'm actually giggling as I type this, it's that funny that you said that. On a public forum!! About a university! Lol....

Like our definitions of reality and reasonable reactions to things are just completely different, it's a great reminder how people can live in very, very different worlds. Our frames of reference are just incompatible. It's easy to forget how different life can be for people of different backgrounds and lifestyles. Have a great night, give your friend with a gay son my regards!!
Please DO explain WHY me saying that I have a friend who's children are gay, cross dressing, bi, whatever is so funny. First off its the truth, and second, I do know them and their good people. I was simply pointed out that I have no issue with anyone with an alternative lifestyle, period. The rest of your post CLEARLY points just just who is the triggered one in the conversation.

As for an "unhinged rant"? You really need to get out more and stay off the internet. My post was anything but unhinged, but you are certainly approaching a meldown......

Please stop saying "cross dresser" it's bizarre and doesn't mean anything. No one identifies a cross-dresser lmao wtf.

You sure do like to make sure people fall under the labels that you place on them rather than let them choose their own labels.

It’s almost like you are a judgmental asshole from the Midwest.

You sure do like to make sure people fall under the labels that you place on them rather than let them choose their own labels.

It’s almost like you are a judgmental asshole from the Midwest.
I'm 100% an asshole from the midwest. Literally who says cross dresser though?? It doesn't mean anything lol. No one identifies as a cross-dresser. It's an outdated word from the Rocky Horror Picture Show lol. Is his friend's son Tim Curry?

Please guys knock it off. E-mail each other if you want to continue your dialogue.
I'm going to continue posting fun tidbits from player's social media because it's literally the purpose of sites like these to discuss them and celebrate our student athletes. I apologize for triggering the boomers. I will no longer engage with him though, that's fair.

Last edited:
Please stop saying "cross dresser" it's bizarre and doesn't mean anything. No one identifies a cross-dresser lmao wtf.
I only shared how his mother shared his "behavior" with me. The young man is a policeman in Oklahoma, and enjoys wearing womens underwear. Again this is her term. He seems like a nice young man, and NO I've never witnessed his "behavior", nor do I care one way or the other. Yes she's close to my age, so I guess she's not "enlightened" either.

My apologies to the board for the tangent discussion.....

I'm 100% an asshole from the midwest. Literally who says cross dresser though?? It doesn't mean anything lol. No one identifies as a cross-dresser. It's an outdated word from the Rocky Horror Picture Show lol. Is his friend's son Tim Curry?

I'm going to continue posting fun tidbits from player's social media because it's literally the purpose of sites like these to discuss them and celebrate our student athletes. I apologize for triggering the boomers. I will no longer engage with him though, that's fair.

No, the literal purpose of these sites is NOT to discuss the personal lives of the players.

No, the literal purpose of these sites is NOT to discuss the personal lives of the players.

I would have liked to see the outrage when people posted about CC’s relationship — multiple times — despite them seemingly wanting the information to remain private.

All I did was share something worth celebrating, which was enthusiastically and rather romantically shared to literally thousands of people on social media. I’m sorry you don’t think this aspect of our student athletes joy is worth celebrating, but I do. The culture and personalities are what sets the WBB team apart from the rest tbh.

These student athletes are living their lives authentically. If they want to celebrate a relationship, I will do the same. How you respond to something so benign speaks volumes about who you are. And if you don’t celebrate these kids for who they are, I don’t know why you’d cheer for them at all.

You don’t have to Like every comment on this board, but you can ignore them. Or you can be a triggered baby and create a problem and bitch about how you think things should be bc you’re so sensitive.

I would have liked to see the outrage when people posted about CC’s relationship — multiple times — despite them seemingly wanting the information to remain private.

All I did was share something worth celebrating, which was enthusiastically and rather romantically shared to literally thousands of people on social media. I’m sorry you don’t think this aspect of our student athletes joy is worth celebrating, but I do. The culture and personalities are what sets the WBB team apart from the rest tbh.

These student athletes are living their lives authentically. If they want to celebrate a relationship, I will do the same. How you respond to something so benign speaks volumes about who you are. And if you don’t celebrate these kids for who they are, I don’t know why you’d cheer for them at all.

You don’t have to Like every comment on this board, but you can ignore them. Or you can be a triggered baby and create a problem and bitch about how you think things should be bc you’re so sensitive.

No one is outraged by what was posted and shared to social media. But your desire to play the role of a victim is so overwhelming that facts don't matter to you.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT