ADVERTISEMENT

Hidlay to NC State.

Didn’t do a home visit with Berge, didn’t even give Brooks a call, etc etc etc. Its a common occurrence and I’m not understanding why we aren’t going the route of an Ohio State or Penn State. They are doing nothing illegal (don’t see the NCAA knocking at their door do we?) and they are recruiting their tales off. We aren’t bringing in top 3 classes every year and have one top 50 p4p kid coming in. How do you guys find that acceptable? Mediocrity is not to be celebrated like many of you here are.
And who says what they are or are not doing is legal? Plus coaches can only do what the compliance office allows and permits. It does appear as in the past some are more into allowing gray or even very dark gray areas than others.

So...
2013 # 6 class
Berge, Bradley, Marlin,Miner GONE
2014 # 9 class
Gross, Evans, Paddock, Ryan GONE
2105 # 10 class
Erickson GONE
2016 # 3 class
Wagner, Rathbun, Malcolm GONE

I'm probably missing others.

How do we not have ANY $$?

Hardly any money tied up in 2016 guys. Like less then a .25 between those 3

Other years idk.

So...
2013 # 6 class
2014 # 9 class
2105 # 10 class
Erickson GONE
2016 # 3 class

Ranked recruits on the roster next year in 2018-2019 (with possibility to maybe add 1 more guy this year):
#2 Lee
#2 Marineli
#7 Warner
#8 Kemerer
#14 Stoll
#19 Happel
#23 Cassioppi
#25 Young
#30 Duggan
#44 Murin
#64 Lugo
#67 Turk
#73 Brands
#79 Costello
#79 Holloway
#86 Wilcke

Then theres also Gunther/Stickley/Glosser/Wilson/Bowman/Glynn/Cook/Murphy/Moody etc.. as quality Unranked guys, some out of state.

I don't want to say that any scholarship $$$ on any athlete is 'wasted' but from what I've heard PSU/tOSU give very little if any at all scholly money to non-starters. Maybe we spread our schollies too thin among guys (some who may never start, or start for just 1 year in a gap year). Just guessing, as i have absolutely no idea. Also the fact that winning team titles brings in kids for cheaper to be part of a successful team, how much cheaper is up for debate, but maybe we're having to spend full schollies to get them here whereas they may go to our rivals for 50-75%ish because of their recent successes.

So...
2013 # 6 class
2014 # 9 class
2105 # 10 class
Erickson GONE
2016 # 3 class

That leaves scholarships for; spencer, murin, turk. Lugo, kemmerer, alex, young, warner, stoll, plus whatever cash, happel, gunther, miles, and costello may have gotten...left off brandon, some others, plus any held for incoming recruits. Let’s just say, hypothetically, that the coaches gave the last remaining money to Teske and or Hidlay and then a top 33 pounder flipped. Would everyone be upset that we could not offer him?

In this hypothetical situation, would said top 33 lber happen to be friends with a certain wrestler that transferred to a university that may or may not be in Iowa City, Iowa?

tenor.gif

LaxHawk174 not sure where you got that outdated information... those are not how our boys were ranked when they entered our program. Why do you even post it?
Well 2014/2015/2016 are from earls d1cw recruiting page (since FLOs 2016 big board is no longer available) and 2017-2018 are from FLOS Big Boards. So maybe go get yourself caught up before calling other people out bud.

In this hypothetical situation, would said top 33 lber happen to be friends with a certain wrestler that transferred to a university that may or may not be in Iowa City, Iowa?
Great more codes. Why is recruiting such a secret? Or is this just smoke and mirrors?

I said it already- iowa never reached out to Brayton Lee either. How are you Iowa and never even gauge a top level talents interest in one of, if not the most storied wrestling program in existence. If he’s not Iowa style, then Iowa style doesn’t exist any longer.

Hidlay was a tough loss. His ceiling is much higher than Brooks at the College level IMO. If I were picking a FS team I would take Brooks. If I were building a team to compete for a National title, give me Hoagie all day, every day.

I said it already- iowa never reached out to Brayton Lee either. How are you Iowa and never even gauge a top level talents interest in one of, if not the most storied wrestling program in existence. If he’s not Iowa style, then Iowa style doesn’t exist any longer.

Hidlay was a tough loss. His ceiling is much higher than Brooks at the College level IMO. If I were picking a FS team I would take Brooks. If I were building a team to compete for a National title, give me Hoagie all day, every day.
Brooks ceiling is much higher than hidlay

You see how we're talking about shortage of scholarship fund being the reason we may have missed on Hidley?
NC St got stronger cause they had more money. That's how D1 college wrestling is suppose to work.
They don't talk about money limits like these at psu, just sayin.
The other day someone posted that Iowa typical scholarship to a stud is 83% if that's true you can get 12 studs for that $.
I don't see 12 guys on roster that fit that profile so with that being said not sure how $ is a issue

Dude, that sangwich has sailed.

Drawing recruits because you win championships every year... Is that working in the gray area or the very dark gray area?
What school are you referring to? Don’t think I mentioned one. But then maybe you are a bit over sensitive and defensive.
The other day someone posted that Iowa typical scholarship to a stud is 83% if that's true you can get 12 studs for that $.
I don't see 12 guys on roster that fit that profile so with that being said not sure how $ is a issue
Guess you are wrong on all counts then, including the 83%.

I am caught up buddy... I think you are the one that needs to realize that these rankings were not what our boys were ranked when they entered our program overall. Maybe by one source but not overall

Reactions: LaxHawk174
I am caught up buddy... I think you are the one that needs to realize that these rankings were not what our boys were ranked when they entered our program overall. Maybe by one source but not overall
Provide some actual data points to compare to, or just shut up instead of complaining about OLD rankings lol.

Some folks need to step away from the ledge. Trent is a good kid and a good wrestler but not a world beater top ten. Not even sure if he is the best at his weight or that he is going to grow into 84. If he didn't, we have the guy at 74 who beat him a few times. Lots of ifs in there...but it would have been nice to have him.

If you want to legit complain, then complain about 33 because that's about all we whiffed on. Cash will be our 184 his jr and sr year. I don't know if Hidlay would have beaten him out his RS Freshman year.

Like I said in another post, we had Brandon's money to play with and thats about it. It sucks, but its not like the cupboard is bare.

Didn’t do a home visit with Berge, didn’t even give Brooks a call, etc etc etc. Its a common occurrence and I’m not understanding why we aren’t going the route of an Ohio State or Penn State. They are doing nothing illegal (don’t see the NCAA knocking at their door do we?) and they are recruiting their tales off. We aren’t bringing in top 3 classes every year and have one top 50 p4p kid coming in. How do you guys find that acceptable? Mediocrity is not to be celebrated like many of you here are.

I get your premise. But the NCAA wasn't knocking on the 6+ college basketball teams doors who broke recruiting violations either. Took the FBI to do that.

Some folks need to step away from the ledge. Trent is a good kid and a good wrestler but not a world beater top ten. Not even sure if he is the best at his weight or that he is going to grow into 84. If he didn't, we have the guy at 74 who beat him a few times. Lots of ifs in there...but it would have been nice to have him.

If you want to legit complain, then complain about 33 because that's about all we whiffed on. Cash will be our 184 his jr and sr year. I don't know if Hidlay would have beaten him out his RS Freshman year.

Like I said in another post, we had Brandon's money to play with and thats about it. It sucks, but its not like the cupboard is bare.

^ agreed. I like Cash at 184 as a Junior and Senior over Hidlay as a freshman/sophomore.

133 is the major hole that needs to be addressed. Can't wait for the season to start to see how the guys in our room can hold up at 133 and 141. Hoping to be pleasantly surprised. Every year there are some guys who make major improvements in the offseason or who come out of nowhere. Look at Seth Gross for example. Let's hope one of our 133s or 141s can be that guy for us this year.

Reactions: Gusaford
You suck, I mean, really, you suck, and I am wondering if you are as miserable as you come off.

Hard to tell from HS stuff, but I wasn't super impressed this weekend. Still would have been cool to get him, but I am not cetain he would worth what we would have to give. Maybe the juice wasn't worth the squeeze here.
Well there's one maybe he wasn't good enough excuse.
When did we figure that out exactly, after we had him for a visit?

This is where I'm at. We've got Cass, Lugo, N Brands, and hopefully one key semester of Downey. 133 is a hole right now. 184 is less so.

BTW, Hidlay's lackluster performance doesn't mean he's not a stud, it simply proved he's not a Hall or Steveson. That is a relief given his commitment elsewhere. Please get on the f-ing phone with Brooks. Please get Kennedy in the scopes. Please don't put all eggs on one guy and let it come down to a coin toss like this.

It's healthy to keep talking about the ways we need to improve recruiting-wise, because for whatever reason we aren't keeping pace with PSU and tOSU. It's not the message board's responsibility to solve those problems, it's Tom's, but it's fair game to talk about it. The alternative is to accept it, and that's not an option. Either Tom is capable of solving it or he's not. That's a fair discussion.

But the sky's not falling over Hidlay and Teske going elsewhere.

Ranked recruits on the roster next year in 2018-2019 (with possibility to maybe add 1 more guy this year):
#2 Lee
#2 Marineli
#7 Warner
#8 Kemerer
#14 Stoll
#19 Happel
#23 Cassioppi
#25 Young
#30 Duggan
#44 Murin
#64 Lugo
#67 Turk
#73 Brands
#79 Costello
#79 Holloway
#86 Wilcke

Then theres also Gunther/Stickley/Glosser/Wilson/Bowman/Glynn/Cook/Murphy/Moody etc.. as quality Unranked guys, some out of state.

I don't want to say that any scholarship $$$ on any athlete is 'wasted' but from what I've heard PSU/tOSU give very little if any at all scholly money to non-starters. Maybe we spread our schollies too thin among guys (some who may never start, or start for just 1 year in a gap year). Just guessing, as i have absolutely no idea. Also the fact that winning team titles brings in kids for cheaper to be part of a successful team, how much cheaper is up for debate, but maybe we're having to spend full schollies to get them here whereas they may go to our rivals for 50-75%ish because of their recent successes.
Great rankings Lax! Spot on!

What school are you referring to? Don’t think I mentioned one. But then maybe you are a bit over sensitive and defensive.

Guess you are wrong on all counts then, including the 83%.
The 83 % wasnt posted by me it was ih8iast8 who posted it.I was just using his # to show you can get 12 studs for that $

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT