ADVERTISEMENT

How far beyond has Iowa fallen?

The reason nobody is booing Penn State wrestlers is that the best of them will join the NLWC after college and represent the United States (and now Mexico) in the Olympics. Booing a Penn State wrestler is un American and frowned upon everywhere in the country except Iowa.
That’s the biggest pile of steaming shit that’s ever been written on this board. Good one!!

I don’t remember what years he was on staff but I feel like when Iowa had the former Wisconsin wrestler covering S&C Iowa wrestlers looked better not just strength wise but agility and how they moved. This is one thing that I do think is missing, not necessarily the strength but the conditioning/agility of our athletes. Wrestling has evolved to more than hard hand fighting and scrambling, recovery, and being an overall athlete are just as important as technique these days. Recruiting helps but the recruits and transfers we get don’t seem to change or evolve either.
Travis Rutt and I agree 100%

Reactions: vhsalum and MAGAman
You guys know that you can easily fact check this, right?

Mesenbrink certified at less than 165, as did Caliendo.

Now, Mesenbrink is taller than Caliendo. But he's significantly skinner. If you look at the many times that they were in close proximity (notably, when Mesenbrink was on top...ha) Caliendo is a LOT thicker in the arms and chest.

Hips/length > arms/chest.

Whatever they certified at is irrelevant. Marginally less than 165, when they're cutting is irrelevant. Mesenbrink has better wrestling strength and length than Caliendo.

Telford has done a great job this year with Glazier, Hill, and the short time he's had Kueter. I think his job should be safe. Morningstar should be gone. Then find a legitimate freestyle coach to replace Dennis.
Terry Brands is as legitimate of a Freestyle coach as ANYONE is going to find. The HWC is the perfect fit for him....

So is Dresser and crew outcoaching and out recruiting TNT?????
I'd take Metcalf in Iowa City in a minute. Those who say no don't know what they are talking about. Metcalf is Iowa style in a nutshell. Throw in Spencer Lee for the littles and hire a top notch big coach and all of a sudden our Staff can't be laughed at any longer....

Iowa guys wrestle with great effort, but it's obvious Iowa doesn't have the talent to compete for titles right now.

The years of being behind PSU has created such a chasm that I don't see how Iowa is going to close the gap anytime soon. I am not sure Iowa can challenge PSU in the next 10 years. The recruiting is so lopsided.

If PSU pulls away, like it seems they're going to for the unforeseeable future, does wrestling become boring with such a lack of parity and competition?
Not at all

I'd take Metcalf in Iowa City in a minute. Those who say no don't know what they are talking about. Metcalf is Iowa style in a nutshell. Throw in Spencer Lee for the littles and hire a top notch big coach and all of a sudden our Staff can't be laughed at any longer....

I like that move

Metcalf
Lee (move Terry to HWC)
Mocco replaces Telford

But really though, you need to explain to wrestling fans that Penn State's dominance is even worse for the sport of wrestling, which you have a passion for, than Iowa's alleged reign of terror that causes people to still boo them, and not Penn State, to this very day.

Tell me that the sport of college wrestling won't die if Penn State keeps winning and I'll give you the user name of a boomer Penn State fan that's full of sh**. ;)

Real World problems and what not.....
The New York Yankees say hi

Iowa guys wrestle with great effort, but it's obvious Iowa doesn't have the talent to compete for titles right now.

The years of being behind PSU has created such a chasm that I don't see how Iowa is going to close the gap anytime soon. I am not sure Iowa can challenge PSU in the next 10 years. The recruiting is so lopsided.

If PSU pulls away, like it seems they're going to for the unforeseeable future, does wrestling become boring with such a lack of parity and competition?
Honestly, I wouldn’t even try at this point. There best point scorer medically forfeited out of the tournament and they had a backup at 149 and they ran away with it. PSU reloads again next year with guys coming back and a dominant freshman class. Iowa (and everyone else is so far behind them, it’s almost laughable). I’d pretend they aren’t there and compete against the rest of the field. If Gabe and Keuter go, the Hawks finish 2nd.

You guys know that you can easily fact check this, right?

Mesenbrink certified at less than 165, as did Caliendo.

Now, Mesenbrink is taller than Caliendo. But he's significantly skinner. If you look at the many times that they were in close proximity (notably, when Mesenbrink was on top...ha) Caliendo is a LOT thicker in the arms and chest.
Thankfully a voice of reason. They’re in the same weight class. If people really mean “he’s tall” when they say “he’s huge”, ok then. And maybe if that’s the key iowa really does have the wrong coaches.

Hips/length > arms/chest.

Whatever they certified at is irrelevant. Marginally less than 165, when they're cutting is irrelevant. Mesenbrink has better wrestling strength and length than Caliendo.
Saying Messenbrink is huge compared to Caliendo is crazy. Have you actually seen them up close? I have and you’re wrong on this. Caliendo is much thicker . Messenbrink is taller but much skinnier:

Reactions: AndEEss
Saying Messenbrink is huge compared to Caliendo is crazy. Have you actually seen them up close? I have and you’re wrong on this. Caliendo is much thicker . Messenbrink is taller but much skinnier:
Caliendo has big biceps and shoulders. Far from the most important muscles for wrestling. Mesenbrink has better wrestling strength no doubt. Stronger core/hips.

Mesenbrink out horses Caliendo physically. The discrepancy isn’t solely technique. I’ll die on this hill.

You thinking being shorter with bigger biceps > length and core strength is just ignorance.

Caliendo has big biceps and shoulders. Far from the most important muscles for wrestling. Mesenbrink has better wrestling strength no doubt. Stronger core/hips.

Mesenbrink out horses Caliendo physically. The discrepancy isn’t solely technique. I’ll die on this hill.

You thinking being shorter with bigger biceps > length and core strength is just ignorance.
Die all you want but you said Messenbrink is huge compared to Caliendo and he’s not. Again have seen them live and Messenbrink looks 15 pounds lighter and he also will wrestle 57 next year. Calendo is thicker everywhere just not arms. Messenbrink is wiry.

We have been out recruited for several years. The gap is wide. Wholesale changes need to happen.
Agreed 100%. The gap is wide and widening. There’s zero fire in the program right now. Guys come in with all the accolades, and they’re leaving battered, bruised, beaten, and nothing to show for it. This is the last of the Zalesky years all over again.

Die all you want but you said Messenbrink is huge compared to Caliendo and he’s not. Again have seen them live and Messenbrink looks 15 pounds lighter and he also will wrestle 57 next year. Calendo is thicker everywhere just not arms. Messenbrink is wiry.

You can keep saying I'm wrong and I'll keep saying you're wrong. You thinking he looks 15 pounds lighter than Caliendo is just pure ignorance.

And I don't doubt he could go 157 if he wanted to next year. PSU guys have proven time and time again they can go up or down weight classes and they'll make the adjustment and come out big for whatever weight they're competing at. They have the best strength and conditioning in the country and it's not close. They also have the best talent, technique, and coaching. Perfect storm.

The reason nobody is booing Penn State wrestlers is that the best of them will join the NLWC after college and represent the United States (and now Mexico) in the Olympics. Booing a Penn State wrestler is un American and frowned upon everywhere in the country except Iowa.
I boo them irondud. And they don’t even wesr vlack.

Man, this shit is tiring. I exhausted myself years ago about Tom and his wrestling is life or death mentality. The Pennsylvania boys and the bull bailed Tom out and that’s not going to happen again. Iowa gets an A on defense and a F on offense. Middle of the road and looking at fighting for 3rd or 4th in B1G if things don’t change. I’m sure Iowa’s opponents love game planning for an Iowa wrestler with no FOOTWORK and very little deeking or level changes. No ability to attack from distance, no creativity and can’t scramble for shit. They just plod forward like robots and try to get setups on hand fighting and collar ties. Everything about Iowa wrestling under Tom is archaic from the mentality to technique.

Ben, Cody or Casey and Iowa would be headed in the right direction.
Cant worship this post enough. 1-dinesnional wrestlifn in a 3D soort.

Din’t let Chiefy catch you callin em robits, though.

iowa style is deadand irrevelant tn the soort tody. the sooner we accept it, the better. we ned toreiventthe style n

Tom and Terry don’t need to go. But the other assistants do. And I think probably a separate nil entity from the HWC. We need to completely overhaul recruiting and the recruiting position. This must be priority 1.

Iowa wrestlers almost always look uncomfortable in scrambling situations. That's a coaching problem. I'm not saying Tom and Terry need to go, but given the way modern folkstyle is wrestled, our scrambling deficiencies stick out like a sore thumb.

Tom and Terry don’t need to go. But the other assistants do. And I think probably a separate nil entity from the HWC. We need to completely overhaul recruiting and the recruiting position. This must be priority 1.
this is backward. tnt will onky work ith clones and discipls. theyre the ines that need ti go. complete blood transfusuon is the inly way ti go.

You can change assistants if you want but nothing will change. Blame the assistants as much as you want but the issues start at the top with Tom. Tom has shown an inability to adapt to the current environment. If Tom had the ability to change, then there would be a chance but there is no way I see that happening. I was told this story years ago when Rutt came to Iowa. He wanted to make changes in the strength and conditioning program but Tom said no, this is how we do things. Whether this is true or not, I do not know but i would not be surprised if it was. For Iowa wrestling to make a move to compete consistently with Penn State, he has to change. Without him changing, nothing will change no matter who the assistants are.

The New York Yankees say hi
When was the Yankees' last WS title?

If anything, the Yankees are what Iowa has become in college wrestling.

A more modern comparison for Penn State would be the Astros. They're also cheaters (I won't leave anything to the imagination, even though I should have, because I'm certain some people wouldn't get the reference.............) ;)

• Haha
Reactions: EPC FAN
When was the Yankees' last WS title?

If anything, the Yankees are what Iowa has become in college wrestling.

A more modern comparison for Penn State would be the Astros. They're also cheaters (I won't leave anything to the imagination, even though I should have, because I'm certain some people wouldn't get the reference.............) ;)
The point is, when the Yankees were dominant (really dominant), baseball was at its apex. The world does, in fact, love Goliath. Especially when it comes to sports, perhaps because it’s our rare social opportunity to actually satisfy our desire to see excellence manifested

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT