ADVERTISEMENT

How far beyond has Iowa fallen?

Your need to tout your personal experience in the business world gets a little old. You're not the only one who worked for a living. Lecture less.
Not really true but whatever. internet opinions are worthless without context. Would you agree? You posted that because you don't like the message that's in my post. If my comments had been agreeable to you, your post never gets written. I discovered that fact when I moonlighted as a psychologist after working all day in business. ;)

Reactions: el dub
I keep looking for the invisible ink to dry to see yours.
Nolf would be my first pick based on it at least being possible and a great style. Dake would be my more dream pick while still believing there is at least a remote possibility he would do it…

good points. unfortunately Tom doesn’t do change because he only believes in one way, therefore the “Iowa Way”. which is why so many recruits do not consider Iowa.you have to WORK extra hard at recruiting when you are playing catch up and that doesn’t fit Tom’s ideology. (if you do not want to come here we are not going to lower ourselves to try to convince you that you are wrong)
That’s also why the folks who think we just need a new, exciting assistant or two are misguided. Tom is gonna run the ship, and the ship is gonna run Tom’s way. Ergo, no assistant that doesn’t fit Tom’s mold has a shot to be on staff. Not for long, at least. He’ll either submit to Tom’s way or quit after being overruled one too many times.

You don’t reinvent by chipping away from the bottom. Change is needed at the top, which inevitably means a clean sweep.

I think it's time for a graph, amirite? Below shows # of individual titles over G, Z's, and B tenure. Might not be perfect but directionally correct.

With the generationally gifted talent of Spencer included:
with-spencer.jpg

With the generationally gifted talent of Spencer excluded (he would have won anywhere he went): Complete Flatline, similar to Zalesky's trend
without-spencer.jpg

One more view
without-spencer-coach-year-over-year.jpg
The technicals on Tom’s first chart are clearly showing a descending channel, but as your next chart shows, he is consolidating……..at ZERO.

Knowing when to liquidate worthless shares can be tricky. For tax purposes, you might want to wait until you have huge capital gains to offset……but it is also difficult to admit defeat and take a loss.

Bottom line: The time to SELL-SELL-SELL was many a moon ago.

If I wanted or thought, he would give me his name I would have just asked.
I was more curious on when in Tom's career as head coach at Iowa he was there.
Lolz…Then why did you ask for his career record? To guave whether his record was good enough to merit an opinion?

Your intent was pretty transparent dude.

The technicals on Tom’s first chart are clearly showing a descending channel, but as your next chart shows, he is consolidating……..at ZERO.

Knowing when to liquidate worthless shares can be tricky. For tax purposes, you might want to wait until you have huge capital gains to offset……but it is also difficult to admit defeat and take a loss.

Bottom line: The time to SELL-SELL-SELL was many a moon ago.
Diamond hands Iowa faithful. From a PSU fan

Tom has a great opportunity to turn this narrative next weekend. Iowa is seeded to finish 9th. Anything other than a major over-performance of that is a major failure (I hope we can all agree with that). Many of our guys are in great spots in the bracket.

125 - Ayala should win this weight. The top two seeds are true freshmen who weren't ranked in the top 40 of their class last year. Ayala is a top 5 recruit in his third year. He has a win over the 1 seed. Tom needs to show he can get a guy over the finish line. You won't find a better opportunity than this!

141 - Can you turn the downward momentum of an ailing senior? This has been a HUGE problem under Brands. Perfect opportunity to turn the narrative by getting Real over the finish line.

157/165/174/197 - Good draws. All four should be in the quarters. 3 with real chances to make the semis. Can Tom get multiple guys to wrestle their best in March? Another major issue.

Like I said, perfect opportunity for him to strike back at the critics next weekend. If he fails, he has nobody to blame but himself and his seat should be getting warmer. And nobody is rooting for him to succeed as much as me!

That’s also why the folks who think we just need a new, exciting assistant or two are misguided. Tom is gonna run the ship, and the ship is gonna run Tom’s way. Ergo, no assistant that doesn’t fit Tom’s mold has a shot to be on staff. Not for long, at least. He’ll either submit to Tom’s way or quit after being overruled one too many times.

You don’t reinvent by chipping away from the bottom. Change is needed at the top, which inevitably means a clean sweep.
I keep thinking that a lot of the downfall occurred after Zadick left. Where did he fit in the scenario of assistants. Butt kisser or his own man?

Again, I know I’m a broken record, but let’s play out this scenario.

Big rivals-poster-booster walks into Goetz’s office, “we need a change.”

“Ok, get me a list of the top ten NCAA wrestling teams and their coaches at the upcoming tournament.”

“No, we don’t want any of them, Tom is better than them.”

“Ok, how about an up and coming head coach at a smaller school who is killing it in recruiting?”

“No, none of them are out recruiting PSU either.

“So who?”

“I’m not sure, maybe Askren, because his kids are doing well right now.”

“Would he bring those kids with him?”

“Don’t know, some head to PSU already and none come here. And he won’t have a youth club anymore as a future pipeline.”

“Ok, who else?”

“Schwab.”

“Ex-Iowa wrestler who coached with brands and is at UNI? Anyone else?”

“Don’t know, but we’ve got a thirteen page thread of people who follow wrestling more than you that believe change is necessary. So you pick someone and then we’ll let you know afterward what we think. Don’t screw it up.”
Although I listed over 10 names that would be absolutely worth considering on a thread a few weeks ago, I do agree that there isn't a super obvious name or two to go with. But, unless you believe Brands is going to commit to wholesale changes in his coaching/training program all of a sudden around 20 years in to being a head coach, then we're faced with either accepting our position of falling more and more behind PSU and doing nothing about it or being bold and making a move at the top (despite the risks).

I think pursuing Cunningham is a good idea, but I get that many will think that's sacrilege and I also understand it's not likely he'd accept since he seems very happy at PSU. I think Pat Popolizio is another option to consider. If Taylor or Dake or Snyder or Burroughs retire, those are certainly names to consider, but they carry substantial risk with none of them having had any previous head coaching experience. I also think Bill Zadick is worth consideration. Perhaps Rob Koll and Ben Askren as well. There are others, but how's that for a starting point?

Last edited:
Sure he would be great. He pinned Kyle Snyder @ the same tourney and got popped for roids in 2015 and served a 5 year ban.

Dayton Fix would do just as well, at least on the roid part.

T and T will leave Iowa on their own terms, as they deserve too.
That may well be true. We'll see I suppose. But, there is no 'deserve.' You get what you earn.

Tom has a great opportunity to turn this narrative next weekend. Iowa is seeded to finish 9th. Anything other than a major over-performance of that is a major failure (I hope we can all agree with that). Many of our guys are in great spots in the bracket.

125 - Ayala should win this weight. The top two seeds are true freshmen who weren't ranked in the top 40 of their class last year. Ayala is a top 5 recruit in his third year. He has a win over the 1 seed. Tom needs to show he can get a guy over the finish line. You won't find a better opportunity than this!

141 - Can you turn the downward momentum of an ailing senior? This has been a HUGE problem under Brands. Perfect opportunity to turn the narrative by getting Real over the finish line.

157/165/174/197 - Good draws. All four should be in the quarters. 3 with real chances to make the semis. Can Tom get multiple guys to wrestle their best in March? Another major issue.

Like I said, perfect opportunity for him to strike back at the critics next weekend. If he fails, he has nobody to blame but himself and his seat should be getting warmer. And nobody is rooting for him to succeed as much as me!
So if Ayala or ailing Woods loses it’s Brands fault?

brands is incredible...maybe even the best...at getting decent to good wrestlers on the podium

brands is average...maybe even below average...at getting good to great wrestlers on top of the podium
I would agree with your first statement

I would change the last one to " average..maybe in below average..at getting good to great wrestlers to come to Iowa"

Reactions: Trapper85

Bo goes into some of the stuff you mentioned at app an hour in this podcast in regards to how it’s done at PSU.

You’re getting pushed back for multiple reasons, the first being you claimed to be an Iowa wrestler, I mean a former Iowa wrestler. I have no reason to doubt you and I do believe you which makes your criticisms more pointed and probably more accurate. I would tend to agree with you from what I see from the outside.

However, what you’re laying out is much more than we’ll just recruit harder and change how we train a little bit and voila’ we’re back on top. Nope, what you’re laying out will take an entire restructuring of the program from top to bottom.

That’s difficult because you need to be able to do what you’re laying out and I doubt many people are capable of that outside of Cael then you have to take your lumps for approximately a year or so, possibly regressing a little.

You also have to do it in light of what Penn State is doing right now Which will make it a little bit more difficult now. Things were more of an even playing field with a few schools back in roughly 2010 when Sanderson started at Penn State .

Iowa was obviously doing well, I believe Oklahoma State was challenging back then, and Minnesota was fairly strong. But while the schools were in pretty solid shape, they were vulnerable to a coach like Sanderson restructuring PSU with their inherent advantages. For years Penn State fans were wondering why we didn’t do better at wrestling when we’re in the best recruiting area in the country. I just saw on BWI that Pennsylvania had the most division one NCAA qualifiers this year That was followed by I believe Ohio and New Jersey or New Jersey then Ohio. Three schools at 97 D1 qualifiers right in Penn State’s backyard,

Sanderson dove in at the right time and from what I understand, he called Penn State twice, Tim Curley didn’t call him back the first time. He just thought Sanderson was trying to leverage more money from ISU or something dumb like that. I’m not a big Curley fan, though he did help land Sanderson when they realized he was serious.
Great post. Thanks for sharing the Bo Nickal interview. I largely agree with you. However, I don't know that it would take an entire restructuring of the program top to bottom as you say. But it would take replacing TnT. That's a bold move, as they are very good coaches. But, very good doesn't cut it when they're not the answer to catching PSU, unless we think they're suddenly going to make wholesale changes in their approach (fat chance). Is there someone out there who IS the answer? Maybe. Maybe not. We won't know if we never try. Could David Taylor or Pat Popolizio or Bill Zadick or Casey Cunningham or Rob Koll or Ben Askren or Kyle Dake or someone else get us there? Maybe. Maybe not. We won't know if we just accept our current situation and throw our hands up and play second-fiddle. I know you're not saying otherwise. I just want to clarify why I think the change needs to be made at the top if we are serious about competing with PSU, or overtaking them.

Great post. Thanks for sharing the Bo Nickal interview. I largely agree with you. However, I don't know that it would take an entire restructuring of the program top to bottom as you say. But it would take replacing TnT. That's a bold move, as they are very good coaches. But, very good doesn't cut it when they're not the answer to catching PSU, unless we think they're suddenly going to make wholesale changes in their approach (fat chance). Is there someone out there who IS the answer? Maybe. Maybe not. We won't know if we never try. Could David Taylor or Pat Popolizio or Bill Zadick or Casey Cunningham or Rob Koll or Ben Askren or Kyle Dake or someone else get us there? Maybe. Maybe not. We won't know if we just accept our current situation and throw our hands up and play second-fiddle. I know you're not saying otherwise. I just want to clarify why I think the change needs to be made at the top if we are serious about competing with PSU, or overtaking them.
One major change since Brands took over is the RTC concept as a recruiting tool. Coaches everywhere need to realize that top end recruits want to know what the next step is after college. A strong RTC attracts high end recruits and any great coach needs to build a strong RTC. Both Iowa and OSU have been hurt by not embracing this new shift in wrestling. OSU more than Iowa. It's not cheating to build an extension to your program and to promise kids that if they meet certain goals they could qualify for the RTC to continue their career. Coaches are more CEOs today than they were 15 years ago. You almost need an MBA to manage the whole shebang if done properly, or at least have one on the staff. With the whole collegiate landscape changing with NIL and unionization, every program needs to have their head on a swivel in the next five years. Big changes to all sports are coming soon, and today may not be what tomorrow looks like. Your thoughts on wrestling over the coming years and how this effects coach selection?

Last edited:
So if Ayala or ailing Woods loses it’s Brands fault?
don’t be obtuse.

it’s not 100% his fault but the critiques that he can’t get guys to the top of the podium (if they aren’t spencer lee) and that he wears down seniors will continue and be justified.

the whole point of the post is that he has a great opportunity to show people they’re wrong!

he’s got an elite recruit in the most wide open weight in history, an ailing senior with a chance to go out on top, and good draws for the rest of his crew.

What more could he ask for to show us that we’re wrong and he’s still the right guy to lead this program? If he doesn’t now…….then when will he?

Again, I know I’m a broken record, but let’s play out this scenario.

Big rivals-poster-booster walks into Goetz’s office, “we need a change.”

“Ok, get me a list of the top ten NCAA wrestling teams and their coaches at the upcoming tournament.”

“No, we don’t want any of them, Tom is better than them.”

“Ok, how about an up and coming head coach at a smaller school who is killing it in recruiting?”

“No, none of them are out recruiting PSU either.

“So who?”

“I’m not sure, maybe Askren, because his kids are doing well right now.”

“Would he bring those kids with him?”

“Don’t know, some head to PSU already and none come here. And he won’t have a youth club anymore as a future pipeline.”

“Ok, who else?”

“Schwab.”

“Ex-Iowa wrestler who coached with brands and is at UNI? Anyone else?”

“Don’t know, but we’ve got a thirteen page thread of people who follow wrestling more than you that believe change is necessary. So you pick someone and then we’ll let you know afterward what we think. Don’t screw it up.”
It’s the Iowa Hawkeye wrestling program. There’s prestige and tradition and many other perks here. Cast a wide net and who knows who comes out of the woodworks.
Or we go this way.

…..”we like our guys”
“yea, second is still pretty damn good. Nobody’s gonna catch Cael anyways.”
“Yea, nothing wrong with silver.”
“First is unrealistic in this recruiting climate”
“If recruits really wanted to be Hawkeyes, they’d already be here.”
“You’re right, I didn’t really wanna win anyways.”

I would love it for Hawkeyes to over perform and make me rethink everything I’ve been posting this year. Please. Even a big upset were you can clearly see that there was a game plan there and our guy peaked at the right time.
not holding breaths.

don’t be obtuse.

it’s not 100% his fault but the critiques that he can’t get guys to the top of the podium (if they aren’t spencer lee) and that he wears down seniors will continue and be justified.

the whole point of the post is that he has a great opportunity to show people they’re wrong!

he’s got an elite recruit in the most wide open weight in history, an ailing senior with a chance to go out on top, and good draws for the rest of his crew.

What more could he ask for to show us that we’re wrong and he’s still the right guy to lead this program? If he doesn’t now…….then when will he?
Obtuse? Bet you wouldn’t say that to my face smart ass. So if someone doesn’t agree with you then you start with the name calling?

Nolf would be my first pick based on it at least being possible and a great style. Dake would be my more dream pick while still believing there is at least a remote possibility he would do it…

Thank you. I presume as assistants? Add them to the list:
Nolf
Dake

Love it. Time to overachieve on perception.

Thank you. I presume as assistants? Add them to the list:
Nolf
Dake
Yes, as assistants. Short of Casey, I just don’t see a name with any type of experience that I would put above the Brands. Even Casey I would carefully conduct the interview to really be sure Casey could handle the CEO part. Make no mistake that part is exceptionally hard and not something a great wrestler automatically fits into.

Although I listed over 10 names that would be absolutely worth considering on a thread a few weeks ago, I do agree that there isn't a super obvious name or two to go with. But, unless you believe Brands is going to commit to wholesale changes in his coaching/training program all of a sudden around 20 years in to being a head coach, then we're faced with either accepting our position of falling more and more behind PSU and doing nothing about it or being bold and making a move at the top (despite the risks).

I think pursuing Cunningham is a good idea, but I get that many will think that's sacrilege and I also understand it's not likely he'd accept since he seems very happy at PSU. I think Pat Popolizio is another option to consider. If Taylor or Dake or Snyder or Burroughs retire, those are certainly names to consider, but they carry substantial risk with none of them having had any previous head coaching experience. I also think Bill Zadick is worth consideration. Perhaps Rob Koll and Ben Askren as well. There are others, but how's that for a starting point?
Thank you. I get that there are other threads, but you might be the first person to actually name to head coaches.

Koll
Pop
Taylor
Snyder
Burroughs
Zadick

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT