ADVERTISEMENT

How far beyond has Iowa fallen?

Yes, as assistants. Short of Casey, I just don’t see a name with any type of experience that I would put above the Brands. Even Casey I would carefully conduct the interview to really be sure Casey could handle the CEO part. Make no mistake that part is exceptionally hard and not something a great wrestler automatically fits into.
Not to argue, but Brands isn't exactly setting the world on fire with the CEO part either. That's another facet that I don't see a change happening.

Tom has a great opportunity to turn this narrative next weekend. Iowa is seeded to finish 9th. Anything other than a major over-performance of that is a major failure (I hope we can all agree with that). Many of our guys are in great spots in the bracket.

125 - Ayala should win this weight. The top two seeds are true freshmen who weren't ranked in the top 40 of their class last year. Ayala is a top 5 recruit in his third year. He has a win over the 1 seed. Tom needs to show he can get a guy over the finish line. You won't find a better opportunity than this!

141 - Can you turn the downward momentum of an ailing senior? This has been a HUGE problem under Brands. Perfect opportunity to turn the narrative by getting Real over the finish line.

157/165/174/197 - Good draws. All four should be in the quarters. 3 with real chances to make the semis. Can Tom get multiple guys to wrestle their best in March? Another major issue.

Like I said, perfect opportunity for him to strike back at the critics next weekend. If he fails, he has nobody to blame but himself and his seat should be getting warmer. And nobody is rooting for him to succeed as much as me!
You have to be out of your god damn mind.

They don't f***ing care other than that they see the media talking about the Chiefs and Patrick Mahomes being the GOAT so they tune in to watch and many end up worshipping the ground they walk on because of it without knowing anything other than welp the Chiefs are good and the media talks about the Chiefs so I'll root for the Chiefs.

4acb83efaab972a7bb25ec62a333753f.jpg

Although I listed over 10 names that would be absolutely worth considering on a thread a few weeks ago, I do agree that there isn't a super obvious name or two to go with. But, unless you believe Brands is going to commit to wholesale changes in his coaching/training program all of a sudden around 20 years in to being a head coach, then we're faced with either accepting our position of falling more and more behind PSU and doing nothing about it or being bold and making a move at the top (despite the risks).

I think pursuing Cunningham is a good idea, but I get that many will think that's sacrilege and I also understand it's not likely he'd accept since he seems very happy at PSU. I think Pat Popolizio is another option to consider. If Taylor or Dake or Snyder or Burroughs retire, those are certainly names to consider, but they carry substantial risk with none of them having had any previous head coaching experience. I also think Bill Zadick is worth consideration. Perhaps Rob Koll and Ben Askren as well. There are others, but how's that for a starting point?
Matt Storniolo

This is the 21st century! Think out of the box, or at least out of the 20th century. Where is it written that a head coach must be a human? With the leapfrog advances in AI technology taking place, it should be possible to develop an AI system to replace a fallible human head coach. Then you could get the best of all possible solutions. Gable is still alive and there are plenty of other competent people available. All of their knowledge could be combined into an AI system and bingo, your problem is solved!

I know it's been beaten like a dead horse, but part of recruiting is just having a presence.

I don't think personal stories really do a lot to change things, but here goes.

My son was contacted by a coach the other day. He is a 2 sport athlete, and wrestling isn't number one. He spent a lot of years with wrestling being the top priority. About 3 years ago, he said he wanted to do something else. We never pushed, and just supported him in whatever he wanted to do. He said he would wrestle because he has for so many years. He's doing the absolute minimum, and had a great year. When this coach contacted him, he decided that he had a passion again. If a kid can have that response from a small program, I'm sure the Brands brothers could have a huge impact.

Only names I would like to see added to the thread are Kolat, Nolf and J’den Cox.

Tom Brands
Cary Kolat
Jason Nolf
J’Den Cox

Move Terry to HWC
I personally think J’Den Cox would be a disaster. Won’t get into too many details so as not to hurt feelings, but check out his track record the last few years - changing RTCs like Taylor Swift changes outfits, blowing weight for trials. Just kind of a bizarre vibe around him the last few years

I personally think J’Den Cox would be a disaster. Won’t get into too many details so as not to hurt feelings, but check out his track record the last few years - changing RTCs like Taylor Swift changes outfits, blowing weight for trials. Just kind of a bizarre vibe around him the last few years

For the Hawks to compete against the Machine, Slumbob Millionaire needs to throw a lot of coin into the HWC to make the playing field leveler.

I get the challenge to replace TT but come on man….i coupd gove you a list of 100 replacemts for your 2 blanks.
But choose not to. It’s pretty clear from this thread that the top head coaches right now are not coaches this board wants.

100? Give me a break. That would simply be change for change sakes. Which is fine to want, just be honest about it.

Someone brought up Kolat. What results would one look at to pick him?

Then why wouldn’t you hire Max?
Because I don’t think either he or Ben are interested in DI coaching let alone moving to Iowa to do it. With them anything less than 100% committed to it, I wouldn’t want either…

Unless things change at the top nothing will change just like football with Ferentz. I would love to see Terry go to HWC and maybe Star to recruiting position and Telford gone but if you don’t bring in some new blood with a backbone to stand up to the old school mentality then things won’t change.

Reactions: baccafarmer
The part that’s confusing to me with this thread is that a group of so called Hawkeye Wrestling fans who want the best recruits in the country spend a ton of time talking sh*t on the present coaching staff. When this is a place where recruits, present team members and parents of both come and read what is being said. You think all the crap you talk here is going to help get them to sign with Iowa? I bet these psu trolls that are here love watching you guys shove a knife in the back of the program. If you are really so concerned, make a phone call, send an email or try and line up a sit down conversation with Beth Goetz.

The part that’s confusing to me with this thread is that a group of so called Hawkeye Wrestling fans who want the best recruits in the country spend a ton of time talking sh*t on the present coaching staff. When this is a place where recruits, present team members and parents of both come and read what is being said. You think all the crap you talk here is going to help get them to sign with Iowa? I bet these psu trolls that are here love watching you guys shove a knife in the back of the program. If you are really so concerned, make a phone call, send an email or try and line up a sit down conversation with Beth Goetz.
Yep, will lose a recruit because of an online message board but not the coaches avoiding every major wrestling championship tournament.

They don't need to read this forum to make their decisions. You are giving this forum way too much credit. If this forum had that much power all the recruits would think PSU sucks because that's what the opinion here has been. The complaints that occur here didn't just pop up over night they have literally been over a decade in the making. Some people are just not content with spending every day with their head in the sand while the same deficiencies run on repeat forever.

Yep, will lose a recruit because of an online message board but not the coaches avoiding every major wrestling championship tournament.
And you’re not going to make a difference on this change you are begging for. Quit crying in your cheerios here & actually try to do something if you think it is the right thing.

I would say it to your face if you gave a dumb response to a thoughtful and positive comment. Obtuse isn’t a name. It’s an adjective and an accurate one to describe your post.
I’m not an adjective. You’re the adjective….

Reactions: Gusaford

For me the most confusing part of the thread is the title. I still haven’t figured out how one falls beyond another.

I see a lot of discussion on this board about the pros and cons of the Iowa Style. The thing I find interesting about Sanderson and his staff that they don’t seem to focus on a style. It’s not as if everyone on their teams wrestles like Ruth, Taylor, Bo, and Nolf. The staff seems to do a good job at taking each wrestler’s style and improve it rather than trying to change it. These days, most top wrestlers have been wrestling year round since they were little kids. By the time they hit college, their style and instincts are well established. Penn State seems to focus on honing and tuning rather than reforging or rebuilding.

I posted comments about current staff earlier in the week and absolutely should have held back, especially considering the most important part of the season is still to come. Though my feelings remain unchanged, I regret the timing of the post and admittedly our staff and athletes deserve more. I agree with most all you've said T8K and look forward to supporting the Hawkeyes next week in Kansas City. Thanks for you frankness and transparency of thought. Let's Go Hawks!

Reactions: T8KUDWN
And you’re not going to make a difference on this change you are begging for. Quit crying in your cheerios here & actually try to do something if you think it is the right thing.
I agree I’m going to donate money to the Iowa wrestling club under the condition they keep Tom & Terry.

BTW. I’m a PSU fan.

Reactions: WhiteDog125
Oh spare the guilt trip. Recruits aren’t avoiding Iowa because of this forum. And the vast majority on here aren’t ‘talking sh*t.’ They’re providing their honest assessment. So, you need not be confused anymore.

Providing honest assessment in the hopes that proper change is considered = Hawkeye wrestling fan

Putting blinders on and pretending everything is fine and dandy = delusion

Shifting blame to message board posters for the shortcomings of the Iowa coaching staff = devotee

As far as timing goes, when are we supposed to discuss these issues? If we do it after poor performances, people like you will say we’re overreacting to a bad performance or we’re like ‘locusts of losing’ as another poster (IAChief maybe?) said a couple weeks ago. If we attempt this discussion after a good performance, people like you will say we’re crazy because the team just wrestled well so there must not be any problems, and Grip will call us ‘morans’ and bump old threads like this one (funny how he didn’t bump those threads after B1Gs). Methinks you don’t want us to ever voice our opinions unless they prop TnT up as perfection personified.

Last edited:
Oh spare the guilt trip. Recruits aren’t avoiding Iowa because of this forum. And the vast majority on here aren’t ‘talking sh*t.’ They’re providing their honest assessment. So, you need not be confused anymore.

Providing honest assessment in the hopes that proper change is considered = Hawkeye wrestling fan

Putting blinders on and pretending everything is fine and dandy = delusion

Shifting blame to message board posters for the shortcomings of the Iowa coaching staff = devotee

As far as timing goes, when are we supposed to discuss these issues? If we do it after poor performances, people like you will say we’re overreacting to a bad performance or we’re like ‘locusts of losing’ as another poster (AZChief maybe?) said a couple weeks ago. If we attempt this discussion after a good performance, people like you will say we’re crazy because the team just wrestled well so there must not be any problems, and Grip will call us ‘morans’ and bump old threads like this one (funny how he didn’t bump those threads after B1Gs). Methinks you don’t want us to ever voice our opinions unless they prop TnT up as perfection personified.
Many criticisms are valid. But, calling for the removal of the 2nd most successful coaches of the past 20 years is where you are rightly going to get a LOT of resistance. This is especially true when NO ONE has a LEGIT candidate with ANY experience and a resume that any AD would gladly make the change to.

As highly as I do think of the Brands I am not opposed to a change. I get that Iowa is so used to being at the top that perennial top 5 finishes aren’t good enough. I just AM NOT someone that would make that change. without a VERY high level of confidence that a new coach not only could do better, but would be 100% dedicated to staying there long enough to win more NCAA Titles than Brands has.

So far, I simply do NOT see ANYONE that fits that description…

Many criticisms are valid. But, calling for the removal of the 2nd most successful coaches of the past 20 years is where you are rightly going to get a LOT of resistance. This is especially true when NO ONE has a LEGIT candidate with ANY experience and a resume that any AD would gladly make the change to.

As highly as I do think of the Brands I am not opposed to a change. I get that Iowa is so used to being at the top that perennial top 5 finishes aren’t good enough. I just AM NOT someone that would make that change. without a VERY high level of confidence that a new coach not only could do better, but would be 100% dedicated to staying there long enough to win more NCAA Titles than Brands has.

So far, I simply do NOT see ANYONE that fits that description…
For sure. Even though I disagree with you on whether or not we should take the risk on one of the names being mentioned, I understand where you’re coming from and respect your opinion. But I don’t respect when people try to shut down the discussion by writing off honest assessments as ‘talking sh*t’ or ‘crapping on’ the coaches.

I wonder how Pat Pop could do at Iowa. He has done a great job with NC State, when you look at where they were before he came.

“In 10 seasons under Popolizio, NC State Wrestling has had:
  • 3 National Champions
  • 6 NCAA Finalists
  • 27 All-Americans
  • 28 ACC Champions
  • 5 ACC Wrestlers of the Year
  • 3 ACC Rookies of the Year
  • 3 ACC Scholar-Athletes of the Year”

don’t be obtuse.

it’s not 100% his fault but the critiques that he can’t get guys to the top of the podium (if they aren’t spencer lee) and that he wears down seniors will continue and be justified.

the whole point of the post is that he has a great opportunity to show people they’re wrong!

he’s got an elite recruit in the most wide open weight in history, an ailing senior with a chance to go out on top, and good draws for the rest of his crew.

What more could he ask for to show us that we’re wrong and he’s still the right guy to lead this program? If he doesn’t now…….then when will he?
You’re spot on with everything. They’ve got nearly 2 weeks to get their guys healthy, peaking, and an actual gameplan suited for each wrestler.

Reactions: js8793
I would love it for Hawkeyes to over perform and make me rethink everything I’ve been posting this year. Please. Even a big upset were you can clearly see that there was a game plan there and our guy peaked at the right time.
not holding breaths.
Don't forget about the law of unintended consequences.

Pretty sure his brother Max would still be running it. In fact, I am pretty sure he is even a bigger factor there than Ben is…
I'm pretty sure the brothers coach primarily out of different locations . I'm also pretty sure Ben was more of a factor in the development of kids like Keegan and Mitch.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT