ADVERTISEMENT

How many books do you read per year?

I’ve read 4 books since last December which is 4,000% more than I had in years previous. Either I’m getting older, tv isn’t as interesting or a genuine like of reading has occurred

A lot more now having a kiddo than I did the years without a kiddo.
Probably average a couple of books a night.

I probably only get through 6-9 books per year.
Happy The Office GIF by Cameo

I probably only get through 6-9 books per year. I wish I read more, but four kids, other distractions, slow reader, etc.

Probably average the same yearly.

I’d probably do more if libraries had larger selection of new titles you could borrow or publishers figured out a way you could preview book. I hate paying $20 for a digital book and just guessing whether you’ll like it

Honestly, I’m not sure the last time I read a book cover to cover recreationally—certainly over 10 years ago. It’s not an aversion to reading, I don’t really watch TV or movies either. I am a pretty solid ADHD type, and I don’t think I get the same positive experience from submitting myself to an outsourced narrative as many people.

That said I should set the goal to read a novel this year, it is a little weird how much I read when I was in school (like Michael Crichton during math class) vs now.

4 to 6 depending on what looks interesting,.. Wife has set a personal goal of 100 for this year, and tells me that she's currently on schedule..

Average probably two a month. Also ready the NYT daily and a few magazines/journals.

I usually get through 30 or so each year. I always try to shut the TV/computer off an hour before I go to bed and read to decompress from the day.

I usually get through 30 or so each year. I always try to shut the TV/computer off an hour before I go to bed and read to decompress from the day.
Reading a good book is a good stress reliever. Sometimes I go to a coffeeshop and read. I just can’t find the time to do it more often

Are you including listening to books? Many of my coworkers/friends count books they listen to as books they have read. I think reading a book is very different. I don't read as much anymore so around 12 a year now.

Basically all of my reading is on my kindle which keeps track of such things. And I thought I was a light reader, but apparently not compared to HORT:

2022: 27
2023: 23
2024: 11

I used to read mostly during my commute to and from work, but then covid happened and I only read three in 2020. Now I do most of my reading while walking around the neighborhood, often with a beer or two.

Same here in the used to never read, the last 7 or 8 years I have started but only get through about 4 books a year. In the summer I read a lot more sitting by the pool on Saturday and Sunday mornings. In the winter for some reason I don't get as much reading done.

Are you including listening to books? Many of my coworkers/friends count books they listen to as books they have read. I think reading a book is very different. I don't read as much anymore so around 12 a year now.

Physically reading a book? No time for that anymore with 2 kids in youth sports and the joys of marriage and home ownership.

But I bet over the last 4 years or so, when I am driving anywhere by myself, 95% of that time has been listening to an audiobook, I hardly ever listen to the radio anymore. 20 minute drive to and from work everyday, roadtrips for work, etc.

Looks like my audible stats for 2023 were a total of 10,764 minutes....so about 3.5 hours per week. Seems to be more or less a book everything 3 weeks or so based on usual length of books I seem to listen to.

Physical copies, probably 1-2 a month. Then another 1-2 more a month on audible.

Not sure why you think that way you're processing the same information. Personally I don't do audio books as I like to listen to podcasts in the car.

Any reason why? I'd say most of my reads are also because I like biography's. I do like a good story now and again though.
I like biographies, I like finding how people got where they are, I like to find why things in history happened, and I always like to be learning. Fiction can be good and interesting, but at the end I always feel it was a waste of time because it was all make believe. Right now I'm reading The Last Island by Adam Goodheart, and when I finish that I'm going to read David Crosby's autobiography Long Time Gone

Reactions: beanerhawk
Agreed - both are good but listening to a book is not the same as reading it
Well I think that's obvious, one is visual and the other is listening. But you're still processing the same information and can learn the same things by doing either.

I like biographies, I like finding how people got where they are, I like to find why things in history happened, and I always like to be learning. Fiction can be good and interesting, but at the end I always feel it was a waste of time because it was all make believe. Right now I'm reading The Last Island by Adam Goodheart, and when I finish that I'm going to read David Crosby's autobiography Long Time Gone
This winter I got Mathew Perry and Kirk Herbstreit's biobraphy's. Haven't gotten to either yet just finishing up "It's better to be feared" But looking forward to them.

Reactions: sabula
This winter I got Mathew Perry and Kirk Herbstreit's biobraphy's. Haven't gotten to either yet just finishing up "It's better to be feared" But looking forward to them.
I was on a real rock and roll kick for a while. Seems like maybe I still am if I'm going to read the book by David Crosby. But I read Bono's autobiography, Stevie Nicks's, Keith Richards, Mick Jagger, Neil Young.

Reactions: beanerhawk
I was on a real rock and roll kick for a while. Seems like maybe I still am if I'm going to read the book by David Crosby. But I read Bono's autobiography, Stevie Nicks's, Keith Richards, Mick Jagger, Neil Young.
If you haven't read Green Lights, Matthew Mcconaughey's biography I highly recommend it. He's live such an interesting life, it's my favorite that I've found so far. Skip Justin Timberlake's, it sucks.

Reactions: sabula
Basically all of my reading is on my kindle which keeps track of such things. And I thought I was a light reader, but apparently not compared to HORT:

2022: 27
2023: 23
2024: 11

I used to read mostly during my commute to and from work, but then covid happened and I only read three in 2020. Now I do most of my reading while walking around the neighborhood, often with a beer or two.
i've been using kindle also. are those year by year stats in the reader's menu? or do you need to log into the amazon website?

averaging maybe 1-10 pages per day it takes a long while for me to finish.
so probably 3-5 completions per year. but i also do skim sections of non-fiction books to checkout just what's useful and set them aside.

i've been using kindle also. are those year by year stats in the reader's menu? or do you need to log into the amazon website?

I've found them on the kindle app on my phone, I click the "MORE" icon and then it's under "Reading Insights". Might be able to find the "Reading Insights" on the website or kindle itself, but I don't know.

It also has other basic stats like days read per month and streaks.

Oddly enough, I'm currently riding a 101 day streak and a 101 week streak.

Reactions: desihawk
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT