ADVERTISEMENT

HOW WILL THE IOWA LINE UP LOOK 2024?

IRONBIRD

HR MVP
Dec 2, 2010
Things are certainly getting very interesting and while many discussions have taken place. I believe a new thread is warranted! I never recall having so many possibilities as the season moved on. Usually there might be 1 or 2 spots where you could be looking at different options, but this year seems much crazier!!!

I guess the very 1st thing is AJ. What is going to ultimately happen with him? Just this one kid brings so many questions right now? 1st obviously is, will he ultimately be eligible? In my opinion that answer will be YES!!! Next question, then what? Does he go 197 or heavy? Some have said he will go 197!?!?

Is there an option to "put him on the back burner till next year? I do not have a clue about this? Why does this matter? Well, if you are TNT and company, do you make a push this year, or do you gear up for a run next year? Many have already talked about both sides of this coin. Injuries, portal moves, other uncertainties like POS NCAA gambling probes etc....

Seems we are a more ALL IN NOW type of team, so that is what I am guessing is going to happen. So IF AJ is indeed at 197, then the next question is, can Glazier get to 184? I though some one said NO and he may have not even certified there? Would he be our BEST option anyway, or would you roll out ARNOLD???

Moving along, reason I have Arnold at 184, is I am looking at what I would believe is our BEST possible line up. I think Kennedy, who has looked pretty good besides condition due to injury, is our best option at 174, It appears to me like Candy(have to give this kid a nickname to hard to spell) at 165 has rubbed off on him some! I am liking the array and pace of attacks!!!

Then you have to move back up to HEAVY. Does BIG BEN GO? Can he even go? By that I mean, someone(maybe his mom?) said he is in a Football redshirt. So can he wrestle? I would assume not but what in hell do I know!?!?!?

125 along with 141, 157, and 165 appear to be the only weight classes that are pretty much certain right now. 133 Schriever's performance puts him as the front runner to me right now. Obviously a lot more wrestling and Teske might have a say in the matter!

149 brings yet another ? mark??? We have Triple V who has not been lighting it up. Then there is another Ferrari!!! He already beat V so does he have a shirt available? If so do you use it?

Maybe the best line up would be

Ayala
Schriever
Woods
Ferrari
Frankel
Candy
Kennedy
Arnold
AJ
Big Ben

Right now that is a very salty looking line up!!! It COULD POSSIBLE take out our FUN st friends!!!

Looking at a dual meet. I would see us favored at 125, 141, 149 with Van Ness out, and 165. There 133 has not looked great, injury may be slowing him down? Could we steal a match here? At 157 it is 1 vs 2 so at least on paper it should be a war!!!

174, obviously a TALL order to get a win but Brands went Toe to Toe last year and I think Kennedy is better!!! Arnold from what I saw, could shock the world! Kid is a BULL and I can see him taking out there guy!

at 197 AJ vs Babblin would be worth the price of admission plus a few beers and two Carver cones to boot!!!!! I am 100% certain their fans will feel good about their guy and rightfully so. I however want to see AJ back on the mat, but I feel good about OUR GUY!!!

Would need Big Ben to keep it close and win the 4 we are favored in and possible steal 2 others, and BOOM the bandwagon fans wheels will blow right off!!!!

Things are certainly getting very interesting and while many discussions have taken place. I believe a new thread is warranted! I never recall having so many possibilities as the season moved on. Usually there might be 1 or 2 spots where you could be looking at different options, but this year seems much crazier!!!

I guess the very 1st thing is AJ. What is going to ultimately happen with him? Just this one kid brings so many questions right now? 1st obviously is, will he ultimately be eligible? In my opinion that answer will be YES!!! Next question, then what? Does he go 197 or heavy? Some have said he will go 197!?!?

Is there an option to "put him on the back burner till next year? I do not have a clue about this? Why does this matter? Well, if you are TNT and company, do you make a push this year, or do you gear up for a run next year? Many have already talked about both sides of this coin. Injuries, portal moves, other uncertainties like POS NCAA gambling probes etc....

Seems we are a more ALL IN NOW type of team, so that is what I am guessing is going to happen. So IF AJ is indeed at 197, then the next question is, can Glazier get to 184? I though some one said NO and he may have not even certified there? Would he be our BEST option anyway, or would you roll out ARNOLD???

Moving along, reason I have Arnold at 184, is I am looking at what I would believe is our BEST possible line up. I think Kennedy, who has looked pretty good besides condition due to injury, is our best option at 174, It appears to me like Candy(have to give this kid a nickname to hard to spell) at 165 has rubbed off on him some! I am liking the array and pace of attacks!!!

Then you have to move back up to HEAVY. Does BIG BEN GO? Can he even go? By that I mean, someone(maybe his mom?) said he is in a Football redshirt. So can he wrestle? I would assume not but what in hell do I know!?!?!?

125 along with 141, 157, and 165 appear to be the only weight classes that are pretty much certain right now. 133 Schriever's performance puts him as the front runner to me right now. Obviously a lot more wrestling and Teske might have a say in the matter!

149 brings yet another ? mark??? We have Triple V who has not been lighting it up. Then there is another Ferrari!!! He already beat V so does he have a shirt available? If so do you use it?

Ayala
Schriever
Woods
Ferrari
Frankel
Candy
Kennedy
Arnold
AJ
Big Ben

Right now that is a very salty looking line up!!! It COULD POSSIBLE take out our FUN st friends!!!

Looking at a dual meet. I would see us favored at 125, 141, 149 with Van Ness out, and 165. There 133 has not looked great, injury may be slowing him down? Could we steal a match here? At 157 it is 1 vs 2 so at least on paper it should be a war!!!

174, obviously a TALL order to get a win but Brands went Toe to Toe last year and I think Kennedy is better!!! Arnold from what I saw, could shock the world! Kid is a BULL and I can see him taking out there guy!

at 197 AJ vs Babblin would be worth the price of admission plus a few beers and two Carver cones to boot!!!!! I am 100% certain their fans will feel good about their guy and rightfully so. I however want to see AJ back on the mat, but I feel good about OUR GUY!!!

Would need Big Ben to keep it close and win the 4 we are favored in and possible steal 2 others, and BOOM the bandwagon fans wheels will blow right off!!!!
I do like what you are saying but you are being incredibly optimistic. Realistically I think in the PSU dual making it look like it was somewhat competitive. I do have a hard time calling PSU fans bandwagon fans.

Reactions: IRONBIRD

Ayala
Schriever
Woods
Ferrari
Frankel
Candy
Kennedy
Arnold
AJ
Big Ben

All boils down to who red shirts and who doesn't.

I do like what you are saying but you are being incredibly optimistic. Realistically I think in the PSU dual making it look like it was somewhat competitive. I do have a hard time calling PSU fans bandwagon fans.
Well you can tell me where I am way off if you like? 125, 141, 149, 165 all get wins. That is 4 matches, 133 is a bit of a reach obviously but their guy may be banged up more then they are saying?

157 is 1 vs 2 so picking up a win here is not far fetched. 174 is a reach but we do not have to get a win here and Brands lost by 1 point! Not impressed with there guy at 184! Maybe the weight cut is taking a toll? Arnold is an ANIMAL and I would pick him in the match right now.

197 AJ is a stud, they have a stud, would like to see AJ in a few matches before I would bet. Heavy all I would be asking is not to get pinned or teched!

NOT calling ALL there fans bandwagon. just the wanna be trolls who come here!!!

Last edited:
  • Haha
Reactions: okcpokefan12
Well you can tell me where I am way off if you like? 125, 141, 149, 165 all get wins. That is 4 matches, 133 is a bit of a reach obviously but their guy may be banged up more then they are saying?

157 is 1 vs 2 so picking up a win here is not far fetched. 174 is a reach but we do not have to get a win here on Brands lost by 1 point! Not impressed with there guy at 184! Maybe the weight cut is taking a toll? Arnold is an ANIMAL and I would pick him in the match right now.

197 AJ is a stud, they have a stud, would like to see AJ in a few matches before I would bet. Heavy all I would be asking is not to get pinned or teched!

125 Iowa 3-0
133 PSU I don't think Nagao is bad I think Crookham is really good Major 3-4
141 Iowa But I think this will be a hell of a nail biter 6-4
149 Iowa I just don't see bonus point from anyone at this weight 9-4
157 PSU I like Franek but I think he loses a close one here 9-7
165 Iowa 12-7
174 PSU I see bonus points here honestly 12-10
184 I super high on Gabe but A I'm not sure he will be here and B I think he gets over scouted and over powered here 12-13
197 I don't think AJ goes 197 so I think Glazier loses here 12-16
HWT I think AJ goes here and loses a close match 12-19

Putting it on paper myself it looks closer than I would have expected however I could also see where this gets out of hand fairly easy if Nago gets a pin Real loses a close match and Starfish Brooks and Kerk get a fair amount of bonus points.

Once PK gets into conditioning, he and Cali would be a toss up. It will be nice if both are in the lineup. Im wondering if PK is getting comfortable with 74 or is he going to fight for 65 yet. He looked a little better conditioned last match against Columbia backup. Maybe this will get decided at SS. If he stays at 74, him and Arnold is going to be fun at SS.

I'm really looking forward to the Soldier Salute. 133 will answer a lot of questions. 149 will be great from a Hawkeye standpoint. Will PK go 165 or 174 and battle Gabe? Who will go for us at 184? Will AJ go and will he go at 197 or HWT (doubt he goes period yet though?). I'm assuming BK will be with the football team unfortunately, as I would have loved to see him go in this. Should be a lot of questions answered for the team in a couple weeks.

I'm really looking forward to the Soldier Salute. 133 will answer a lot of questions. 149 will be great from a Hawkeye standpoint. Will PK go 165 or 174 and battle Gabe? Who will go for us at 184? Will AJ go and will he go at 197 or HWT (doubt he goes period yet though?). I'm assuming BK will be with the football team unfortunately, as I would have loved to see him go in this. Should be a lot of questions answered for the team in a couple weeks.
Once PK gets into conditioning, he and Cali would be a toss up. It will be nice if both are in the lineup. Im wondering if PK is getting comfortable with 74 or is he going to fight for 65 yet. He looked a little better conditioned last match against Columbia backup. Maybe this will get decided at SS. If he stays at 74, him and Arnold is going to be fun at SS.
125 Iowa 3-0
133 PSU I don't think Nagao is bad I think Crookham is really good Major 3-4
141 Iowa But I think this will be a hell of a nail biter 6-4
149 Iowa I just don't see bonus point from anyone at this weight 9-4
157 PSU I like Franek but I think he loses a close one here 9-7
165 Iowa 12-7
174 PSU I see bonus points here honestly 12-10
184 I super high on Gabe but A I'm not sure he will be here and B I think he gets over scouted and over powered here 12-13
197 I don't think AJ goes 197 so I think Glazier loses here 12-16
HWT I think AJ goes here and loses a close match 12-19

Putting it on paper myself it looks closer than I would have expected however I could also see where this gets out of hand fairly easy if Nago gets a pin Real loses a close match and Starfish Brooks and Kerk get a fair amount of bonus points.
AJ is smaller than Ben. If he goes Heavy weight we are punting two weights at the top. A 220 AJ isn't going Toe to To with Kirk.

AJ is going 197. I have already made the decision so lets move on.

Has Candy and PK wrestled when Pk is healthy?

157 is 1 vs 2 so picking up a win here is not far fetched. 174 is a reach but we do not have to get a win here and Brands lost by 1 point! Not impressed with there guy at 184! Maybe the weight cut is taking a toll? Arnold is an ANIMAL and I would pick him in the match right now.

You have been on PSU board quite a bit lately. Even there, you continue to give Iowa the win at 165 (you don't even call it a toss up)

Would you wager that? $50 or $100 to a good cause? I think Messenbrink handles him quite convincingly

Let's be real..Iowa favored at 125, 141 and 149..the rest..cmon now

You have been on PSU board quite a bit lately. Even there, you continue to give Iowa the win at 165 (you don't even call it a toss up)

Would you wager that? $50 or $100 to a good cause? I think Messenbrink handles him quite convincingly

I'm also confused by this..... this is 100% a toss up.

YES, I was a celebrity even before I ever went there!

I guess what do I know? Most are giving it to Messy?

You say , handles him easily? So are you giving me odds and/or points? Gladly bet he does not major him if you wish!

• Haha
Reactions: Vic Vaselino
Handles him easily? So are you giving me odds and/or points? Gladly bet he does not major him if you wish!
I'll tell you what..let's meet in the middle..

$25 I take MM straight up, and you take "Candy"
Another $25 bet..I'll take MM by major or worse..so if "Candy" wins..you get $50

If MM wins but not by major, we break even

If MM majors or worse..you owe $50

Fair?

Reactions: PotentiallyDan

Another $25 bet..I'll take MM by major or worse..so if "Candy" wins..you get $50

Fair?
Yes that is fair, now where does money go? Also if one does not wrestle? I have to be very clear because I still feel I got hosed the last time I bet a F*** st fan!!! And it could have very well been my own fault!!! So this time I am going to make sure BEFORE I say "IT IS A BET!!!!"

Yes that is fair, now where does money go? Also if one does not wrestle? I have to be very clear because I still feel I got hosed the last time I bet a F*** st fan!!! And it could have very well been my own fault!!! So this time I am going to make sure BEFORE I say "IT IS A BET!!!!"
If you win I donate to Hawkeye wrestling club. If I win, you donate to Nittany Lion wrestling club.

Obviously if one or both don’t take the mat..bets off

Reactions: Nashville_Hawkeye

Fair?
I think that's fair. And if Candy gets majored or worse, I want someone else back in the lineup at 65.

So excited for the future of this team. 2024 is going to be a lot different than what you have seen so far. Feel bad for Glazier as he has looked pretty good so far. I honestly don’t know how we can beat Carl and his kronies this year but the 2024/25 season is a different story. As for the conservation about 165. It’s really going to be interesting but I just don’t see how a new kid on the block is going to beat a returning AA in Carver. But then again I believe Gabe wins at 184 IF he goes at 184. So who knows what will happen. My gut tells me it will be 6-4 for Carl but I can easily see a scenario where it’s 5-5 but we lose on bonus pts. I want to win but would be extremely happy to just see Starcrap get beat!

Ayala
Schriever
Woods
Ferrari
Frankel
Candy
Kennedy
Arnold
AJ
Big Ben

125: Iowa Dec 3-0
Davis has actually looked better than Ayala so far this season, but I'd still give the edge to Drake.

133: PSU MD 3-4
Nagao is tough. He's easily top 5. Crookham looks like the real deal, so that loss isn't a big deal. Neither Teske nor Schriever are in the same tier.

141: Iowa Dec 6-4
This is going to be razor thin. Bartlett is getting better every time out.

149: PSU Dec 6-7
Anthony is the Fredo of the Ferraris. Kasak should beat him or VV3.

157: PSU Dec 6-10
Close but edge to Haines. Haines-Franek easily could be the NCAA finals eventually.

165: PSU Dec 6-13
Caliendo is a legit AA, but Mesenbrink is the real deal. He's getting better every match. He has NCAA titles in his future once KOT and Carr are gone.

174: PSU Pin 6-19
Starocci is on the war path this year. Gabe will give him a much better match in the postseason, but round one will be a learning experience.

184: PSU TF 6-24
Gabe has said he's going 174 specifically to go after Starocci. Love his moxy, but that makes 184 a punt.

197: PSU Dec 6-27
Brooks vs AJ is the main course in this dual. Coming off two years off, I give the slight edge to Brooks, but this is one that could go either way. Like Gabe, AJ probably has a better shot at this in the postseason.

HWT: PSU MD 6-31
Kerk is just too tough for a undersized true frosh.

Davis has actually looked better than Ayala so far this season, but I'd still give the edge to Drake.

Nagao is tough. He's easily top 5. Crookham looks like the real deal, so that loss isn't a big deal. Neither Teske nor Schriever are in the same tier.

Close but edge to Haines. Haines-Franek easily could be the NCAA finals eventually.

Caliendo is a legit AA, but Mesenbrink is the real deal. He's getting better every match. He has NCAA titles in his future once KOT and Carr are gone.

Starocci is on the war path this year. Gabe will give him a much better match in the postseason, but round one will be a learning experience.

Gabe has said he's going 174 specifically to go after Starocci. Love his moxy, but that makes 184 a punt.

Brooks vs AJ is the main course in this dual. Coming off two years off, I give the slight edge to Brooks, but this is one that could go either way. Like Gabe, AJ probably has a better shot at this in the postseason.

Kerk is just too tough for a undersized true frosh.
I have it like this.
125 Ayala dec 3-0
133 Nagao dec 3-3
141 Woods dec 6-3
149 Ferrari dec 9-3
157 Haines dec 9-6
165 Caliendo dec 12-6
174 Starroci MD 12-10
184 Arnold dec 15-10
197 Brooks dec 15-13
285 Kerkvliet MD 15-17

Kerk is just too tough for an undersized true frosh.
Gabe getting pinned I’d take that bet . In the spirit of betting the loser has to donate to the NLWC . lol

Reactions: IRONBIRD
I have it like this.
125 Ayala dec 3-0
133 Nagao dec 3-3
141 Woods dec 6-3
149 Ferrari dec 9-3
157 Haines dec 9-6
165 Caliendo dec 12-6
174 Starroci MD 12-10
184 Arnold dec 15-10
197 Brooks dec 15-13
285 Kerkvliet MD 15-17

This interview was with Gabe just a couple days ago. He says early (@2:00) that he prefers to wrestle 174 (although leaves the door open for coaches discretion) and later (@8:30) that he is looking forward to wrestling Carter and considers him the obstacle in the way of his goals. He also says he's too short at 5'7" for 184 (calls himself a "muscle baby" compared to 6' 184s, LOL). All indications are that Gabe wants nothing more than to get a shot at Carter this year and really wants to go 174 (and is just keeping the door open at 184 to be a good teammate, but really doesn't want to do that or consider it in his best interest).

Obviously, Gabe at 174 pinches PK from the lineup, but if that's what he really wants and what is best for him, I don't think you're going to see Gabe at 184, especially for Penn State where he's already created this rivalry with Starocci. Truax is also taller than Starocci (6'1" vs 5'10") and therefore may be a worse stylistic matchup for Gabe (although Truax is obviously not the caliber of wrestler Starocci is).

Sorry, I never bet on anything. That's Iowa culture. LOL.

stranger things nerd GIF

PK might still beat out Caliendo. Brands said there are two appeals. One is Cass. Have to figure the other is Swafford so he might be back.

Reactions: Hawkgma
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT