ADVERTISEMENT

HOW WILL THE IOWA LINE UP LOOK 2024?

Well you can tell me where I am way off if you like? 125, 141, 149, 165 all get wins. That is 4 matches, 133 is a bit of a reach obviously but their guy may be banged up more then they are saying?

157 is 1 vs 2 so picking up a win here is not far fetched. 174 is a reach but we do not have to get a win here and Brands lost by 1 point! Not impressed with there guy at 184! Maybe the weight cut is taking a toll? Arnold is an ANIMAL and I would pick him in the match right now.

197 AJ is a stud, they have a stud, would like to see AJ in a few matches before I would bet. Heavy all I would be asking is not to get pinned or teched!

NOT calling ALL there fans bandwagon. just the wanna be trolls who come here!!!
157 is probably not #2. Haines , Robb the Cornell kid.

would the NLWC even accept a small donation ?? I thought it was a 1000 dollar buy in for the Old Boys club ??
Nope, they take all funds. Trust me I've lost a good bit betting on our Hawks. LOL! Alex alone has cost me decent bank at NCAAs. That's not a jab at Alex; it's stating that yes, they gladly take our money just like we gladly take theirs. :)

This interview was with Gabe just a couple days ago. He says early (@2:00) that he prefers to wrestle 174 (although leaves the door open for coaches discretion) and later (@8:30) that he is looking forward to wrestling Carter and considers him the obstacle in the way of his goals. He also says he's too short at 5'7" for 184 (calls himself a "muscle baby" compared to 6' 184s, LOL). All indications are that Gabe wants nothing more than to get a shot at Carter this year and really wants to go 174 (and is just keeping the door open at 184 to be a good teammate, but really doesn't want to do that or consider it in his best interest).

Obviously, Gabe at 174 pinches PK from the lineup, but if that's what he really wants and what is best for him, I don't think you're going to see Gabe at 184, especially for Penn State where he's already created this rivalry with Starocci. Truax is also taller than Starocci (6'1" vs 5'10") and therefore may be a worse stylistic matchup for Gabe (although Truax is obviously not the caliber of wrestler Starocci is).
I don't know...the 6th ranked 84 pounder Will Feldkamp was pretty fricking tall and he put his ass out to pasture. Let's see what he's got for Star and then consider his options. I love watching the kid and love his personality and attitude; we need it in Iowa!!

125 Iowa 3-0
133 PSU I don't think Nagao is bad I think Crookham is really good Major 3-4
141 Iowa But I think this will be a hell of a nail biter 6-4
149 Iowa I just don't see bonus point from anyone at this weight 9-4
157 PSU I like Franek but I think he loses a close one here 9-7
165 Iowa 12-7
174 PSU I see bonus points here honestly 12-10
184 I super high on Gabe but A I'm not sure he will be here and B I think he gets over scouted and over powered here 12-13
197 I don't think AJ goes 197 so I think Glazier loses here 12-16
HWT I think AJ goes here and loses a close match 12-19

Putting it on paper myself it looks closer than I would have expected however I could also see where this gets out of hand fairly easy if Nago gets a pin Real loses a close match and Starfish Brooks and Kerk get a fair amount of bonus points.
Right on… But I don’t think AJ is a hwt. And GA isn’t a 184.

Well you can tell me where I am way off if you like? 125, 141, 149, 165 all get wins. That is 4 matches, 133 is a bit of a reach obviously but their guy may be banged up more then they are saying?

157 is 1 vs 2 so picking up a win here is not far fetched. 174 is a reach but we do not have to get a win here and Brands lost by 1 point! Not impressed with there guy at 184! Maybe the weight cut is taking a toll? Arnold is an ANIMAL and I would pick him in the match right now.

197 AJ is a stud, they have a stud, would like to see AJ in a few matches before I would bet. Heavy all I would be asking is not to get pinned or teched!

NOT calling ALL there fans bandwagon. just the wanna be trolls who come here!!!
I like your optimism, but the Franek I've been watching so far this year picking up a win against Levi seems very far fetched to me. Now if he gets back to the form that got him a victory over Robb last year I'll be a believer, but I just haven't seen that yet. He's going to have to find better defense and create a little offense to have a chance against Levi IMO.

I don't know...the 6th ranked 84 pounder Will Feldkamp was pretty fricking tall and he put his ass out to pasture. Let's see what he's got for Star and then consider his options. I love watching the kid and love his personality and attitude; we need it in Iowa!!
You should read that closer. He doesn’t want to wrestle at 184. It doesn’t matter who he could beat. He’s at his best at 174 and I’m guessing he’s our best wrestler at that weight. He’s a really talented freshman. We shouldn’t take that for granted but we should respect his wishes.

Things are certainly getting very interesting and while many discussions have taken place. I believe a new thread is warranted! I never recall having so many possibilities as the season moved on. Usually there might be 1 or 2 spots where you could be looking at different options, but this year seems much crazier!!!

I guess the very 1st thing is AJ. What is going to ultimately happen with him? Just this one kid brings so many questions right now? 1st obviously is, will he ultimately be eligible? In my opinion that answer will be YES!!! Next question, then what? Does he go 197 or heavy? Some have said he will go 197!?!?

Is there an option to "put him on the back burner till next year? I do not have a clue about this? Why does this matter? Well, if you are TNT and company, do you make a push this year, or do you gear up for a run next year? Many have already talked about both sides of this coin. Injuries, portal moves, other uncertainties like POS NCAA gambling probes etc....

Seems we are a more ALL IN NOW type of team, so that is what I am guessing is going to happen. So IF AJ is indeed at 197, then the next question is, can Glazier get to 184? I though some one said NO and he may have not even certified there? Would he be our BEST option anyway, or would you roll out ARNOLD???

Moving along, reason I have Arnold at 184, is I am looking at what I would believe is our BEST possible line up. I think Kennedy, who has looked pretty good besides condition due to injury, is our best option at 174, It appears to me like Candy(have to give this kid a nickname to hard to spell) at 165 has rubbed off on him some! I am liking the array and pace of attacks!!!

Then you have to move back up to HEAVY. Does BIG BEN GO? Can he even go? By that I mean, someone(maybe his mom?) said he is in a Football redshirt. So can he wrestle? I would assume not but what in hell do I know!?!?!?

125 along with 141, 157, and 165 appear to be the only weight classes that are pretty much certain right now. 133 Schriever's performance puts him as the front runner to me right now. Obviously a lot more wrestling and Teske might have a say in the matter!

149 brings yet another ? mark??? We have Triple V who has not been lighting it up. Then there is another Ferrari!!! He already beat V so does he have a shirt available? If so do you use it?

Maybe the best line up would be

Ayala
Schriever
Woods
Ferrari
Frankel
Candy
Kennedy
Arnold
AJ
Big Ben

Right now that is a very salty looking line up!!! It COULD POSSIBLE take out our FUN st friends!!!

Looking at a dual meet. I would see us favored at 125, 141, 149 with Van Ness out, and 165. There 133 has not looked great, injury may be slowing him down? Could we steal a match here? At 157 it is 1 vs 2 so at least on paper it should be a war!!!

174, obviously a TALL order to get a win but Brands went Toe to Toe last year and I think Kennedy is better!!! Arnold from what I saw, could shock the world! Kid is a BULL and I can see him taking out there guy!

at 197 AJ vs Babblin would be worth the price of admission plus a few beers and two Carver cones to boot!!!!! I am 100% certain their fans will feel good about their guy and rightfully so. I however want to see AJ back on the mat, but I feel good about OUR GUY!!!

Would need Big Ben to keep it close and win the 4 we are favored in and possible steal 2 others, and BOOM the bandwagon fans wheels will blow right off!!!!
It'll look like a national championship winning lineup, that's what it'll f***ing look like.........

You should read that closer. He doesn’t want to wrestle at 184. It doesn’t matter who he could beat. He’s at his best at 174 and I’m guessing he’s our best wrestler at that weight. He’s a really talented freshman. We shouldn’t take that for granted but we should respect his wishes.
I think it will depend on what he looks like against Star. I'm on of those who believe he has a much better chance at winning 84 than 74, but if he can wrestle Star close - and not just by points but by appearance - why not go for it.

Reactions: johnyt9
It had to have been during the Franek match or the beginning of the Scott (NCSt) as he injury forfeited out of the following match with Scott.

Skip the first two minutes if you want . Then listen for two minutes .

My take away is he wasn’t 100 percent during the Levi match ( semifinals ) and was essentially in really bad shape when he wrestled Franek .

I think it will depend on what he looks like against Star. I'm on of those who believe he has a much better chance at winning 84 than 74, but if he can wrestle Star close - and not just by points but by appearance - why not go for it.
There are two things I think are clear about Gabe from this interview and the other things he said. First, he’s more comfortable at 174 and would prefer to go 174, and second, not only does he not care that an all-time great is wrestling at that weight, he wants to go after Starocci. He craves the competition against the best and has the confidence that he can beat the best. Nolf & Cenzo pinned IMar, Zain beat Stieber, Ramos stuck Spencer, Owings beat Gable if you want to go back that far. Gabe wants to join that club and write his name in history with those guys. I agree with you that 184 is probably an easier path for him (nothing against Keckeisen or Truax or Foca who are all great wrestlers, but they are not Starocci), but that doesn't seem like something that matters to Gabe. I commend his moxy. He certainly has the attitude of a champion in addition to the ability, and as unlikely as actually beating Starocci is, it makes him dangerous, probably the most dangerous guy in the field for Starocci (I mean, he already basically disemboweled #2 Mehki...).

If that is the route they go and Gabe is the 174 this year, I think he will struggle in the first matchup against Starocci in the dual, but in the B1Gs and NCAAs where it really matters, he will be dangerous and I think you'll see matches that come down to one late move in short time or SV.

There are two things I think are clear about Gabe from this interview and the other things he said. First, he’s more comfortable at 174 and would prefer to go 174, and second, not only does he not care that an all-time great is wrestling at that weight, he wants to go after Starocci. He craves the competition against the best and has the confidence that he can beat the best. Nolf & Cenzo pinned IMar, Zain beat Stieber, Ramos stuck Spencer, Owings beat Gable if you want to go back that far. Gabe wants to join that club and write his name in history with those guys. I agree with you that 184 is probably an easier path for him (nothing against Keckeisen or Truax or Foca who are all great wrestlers, but they are not Starocci), but that doesn't seem like something that matters to Gabe. I commend his moxy. He certainly has the attitude of a champion in addition to the ability, and as unlikely as actually beating Starocci is, it makes him dangerous, probably the most dangerous guy in the field for Starocci (I mean, he already basically disemboweled #2 Mehki...).

If that is the route they go and Gabe is the 174 this year, I think he will struggle in the first matchup against Starocci in the dual, but in the B1Gs and NCAAs where it really matters, he will be dangerous and I think you'll see matches that come down to one late move in short time or SV.
This is very well put together. A lot of the guys you talk about have "it". They don't wrestle to not lose, they wrestle to shock the world. That is what it takes to beat an all timer. Wrestle like you are not going to lose instead of wrestling to not lose. Gabe has the same thought process as CS, that is why he is so dangerous to CS. A true freshman knocking off a potential 4 timer would definitely shock the wrestling world.

OK, I am ALL IN on Arnold at 174, not that that matters, but who goes 184? Can we get the POS NCAA to get Brands and really all the rest back on the mat?

Then you also have an issue with Kennedy, Candy combo?

How many more matches can Arnold wrestle before shirt is burned? I believe it is up to 4 and he wrestled 2? Might be one option to put him out against StarFish in the dual and get a real good look at just how great this kid is!!!

Reactions: Trapper85
OK, I am ALL IN on Arnold at 174, not that that matters, but who goes 184? Can we get the POS NCAA to get Brands and really all the rest back on the mat?

Then you also have an issue with Kennedy, Candy combo?

How many more matches can Arnold wrestle before shirt is burned? I believe it is up to 4 and he wrestled 2? Might be one option to put him out against StarFish in the dual and get a real good look at just how great this kid is!!!
He can have five attached dates without burning the shirt, so a tournament only counts as one date even if it is multiple matches.

Reactions: IRONBIRD
It has been stated somewhere else, but yes 5 dates. Gabe has used 3 and SS will be 4 (Luther, Oregon St., and ISU). One left going into next year without pulling his shirt.
I thought that because it's second semester they can wrestle unattached at the SS? If so could push the can down the road a little further.

I thought that because it's second semester they can wrestle unattached at the SS? If so could push the can down the road a little further.
This is correct. True freshman can wrestle 5 dates attached and keep their redshirt. In the first semester, they can only wrestle attached. Starting the second semester, they can wrestle unattached at tournaments and not have that count against the 5 dates.

This is correct. True freshman can wrestle 5 dates attached and keep their redshirt. In the first semester, they can only wrestle attached. Starting the second semester, they can wrestle unattached at tournaments and not have that count against the 5 dates.
I know there was something with 1st and 2nd semester as well like you said. Is the SS considered second semester yet? If not, it would count on the 1st semester as an attached date. I have no idea why it needed to be this confusing. Just do 5 dates attached (whenever) and unlimited dates unattached?! Wouldn't that be easier to follow?

Reactions: IRONBIRD
I know there was something with 1st and 2nd semester as well like you said. Is the SS considered second semester yet? If not, it would count on the 1st semester as an attached date. I have no idea why it needed to be this confusing. Just do 5 dates attached (whenever) and unlimited dates unattached?! Wouldn't that be easier to follow?
This is the NCAA why would anything make sense or be easy to follow? You realize that someone's whole job is likely writing these rules and keeping track of this crap?

• Haha
Reactions: blcoach80
Bureaucracy. Why would they make anything easy? LOL. I don't know what the cutoff is between first semester and second semester.

Reactions: blcoach80
Soldier Salute is considered 2nd semester and freshmen can wrestle unattached.

Skip the first two minutes if you want . Then listen for two minutes .

My take away is he wasn’t 100 percent during the Levi match ( semifinals ) and was essentially in really bad shape when he wrestled Franek .

This makes sense. Poor kid! And it even makes more sense WRT Franek beating him. I get that Franek AA’d in 4th but I’m not buying that he’s the second best in the country at 57 or that he has much of a chance against Levi despite the ranking. Really want to see him open his offense especially since his defense is good but not Brandon Sorenson good. Would like to see him get more TDs now so it’s the norm come NCAAs.

Reactions: Bosox2004
This makes sense. Poor kid! And it even makes more sense WRT Franek beating him. I get that Franek AA’d in 4th but I’m not buying that he’s the second best in the country at 57 or that he has much of a chance against Levi despite the ranking. Really want to see him open his offense especially since his defense is good but not Brandon Sorenson good. Would like to see him get more TDs now so it’s the norm come NCAAs.
I’d agree with the not buying the second best comment but until Levi wrestles a few matches where he appears dominate I’m hesitant on him as well. Levi is by far my favorite wrestler but injuries simply worry me.

I also see other wrestlers quite capable of winning the title come March but than I’m the idiot who doesn’t see the same finals matchup in March we saw last year.

March is a long ways away …..

Reactions: Nashville_Hawkeye
Yes that is fair, now where does money go? Also if one does not wrestle? I have to be very clear because I still feel I got hosed the last time I bet a F*** st fan!!! And it could have very well been my own fault!!! So this time I am going to make sure BEFORE I say "IT IS A BET!!!!"
Please explain how you can even say for one second you got "hosed" on your last bet?

Bet starts on post #949

Page 24 & 25 will show that the bet was accepted, even though, Ironbird tried to change the terms after he offered the bet and it was accepted

After the match, in which I won the bet, it picks back up on post #1,367

1. You made the initial terms of the bet.
2. I accepted the terms of the bet that you made.
3. You changed the terms of the bet and said you win on a tie.
4. I allowed these changes because it's Ironbird and it was expected.
5. You lost the bet, but, spent days whining and trying to find a way out of it
6. When the entire board told you that you were welching, you finally, reluctantly paid
7. You then, of course, said that IF I had lost, I wouldn't have paid the bet. Shocking that you would make accusations based on zero evidence.

After all of that, I'd love to hear how you got hosed. You got exposed and embarrassed.

It's also crazy to see how confident you are in Iowa's chances this year, but, in order to bet, you want 20 POINTS. Yes, that shows real confidence!

Also, after Ironbird told us that "THE IOWA TRAIN WAS COMING FOR PSU", I offered to bet him $50 on all future dual meets and NCAA Championships for as long as many years as he wanted to bet. He ran away from that too.

So, while he claims to be confident, he simply doesn't truly believe any of it. Who asks for 20 points after claiming that they think their team has a legit chance to win?

Reactions: USPMAN
Please explain how you can even say for one second you got "hosed" on your last bet?

Bet starts on post #949

Page 24 & 25 will show that the bet was accepted, even though, Ironbird tried to change the terms after he offered the bet and it was accepted

After the match, in which I won the bet, it picks back up on post #1,367

1. You made the initial terms of the bet.
2. I accepted the terms of the bet that you made.
3. You changed the terms of the bet and said you win on a tie.
4. I allowed these changes because it's Ironbird and it was expected.
5. You lost the bet, but, spent days whining and trying to find a way out of it
6. When the entire board told you that you were welching, you finally, reluctantly paid
7. You then, of course, said that IF I had lost, I wouldn't have paid the bet. Shocking that you would make accusations based on zero evidence.

After all of that, I'd love to hear how you got hosed. You got exposed and embarrassed.
STOP guy, really!!! You obviously remembered the bet and you said NOTHING about it till after you knew you won!!! You never said anything like, "remember our bet, can't wait to take your money, etc....." Leading up to the dual. I totally forgot about the bet, and stated that clearly.

I 100% know from your BS posts that you would have never said anything about it had you lost! Plus you never gave me a shot to even the score so KISS OFF!!!
It's also crazy to see how confident you are in Iowa's chances this year, but, in order to bet, you want 20 POINTS. Yes, that shows real confidence!

Also, after Ironbird told us that "THE IOWA TRAIN WAS COMING FOR PSU", I offered to bet him $50 on all future dual meets and NCAA Championships for as long as many years as he wanted to bet. He ran away from that too.

So, while he claims to be confident, he simply doesn't truly believe any of it. Who asks for 20 points after claiming that they think their team has a legit chance to win?
The 20 line comes from the F*** st board! It is a combination of what I believe the point spread should be around, which is 12-14, and what YOUR people believe which is well over 20 points!!!

Your fans are losing confidence more on more each day!!! The IOWA TRAIN is coming on fast and you all see it!!!

These dummies were once talking sh*t about breaking the scoring record!?!?!? They now are truly scared about even winning the dual!!!

I will also add, the guy above who I bet when IOWA was favored. I GAVE THE POINTS!!!! You all are heavy favorites but want to give NO POINTS????

STOP guy, really!!! You obviously remembered the bet and you said NOTHING about it till after you knew you won!!! You never said anything like, "remember our bet, can't wait to take your money, etc....." Leading up to the dual. I totally forgot about the bet, and stated that clearly.

I 100% know from your BS posts that you would have never said anything about it had you lost! Plus you never gave me a shot to even the score so KISS OFF!!!
Grown Man Nom GIF by Deadstream

The 20 line comes from the F*** st board! It is a combination of what I believe the point spread should be around, which is 12-14, and what YOUR people believe which is well over 20 points!!!

Your fans are losing confidence more on more each day!!! The IOWA TRAIN is coming on fast and you all see it!!!

These dummies were once talking sh*t about breaking the scoring record!?!?!? They now are truly scared about even winning the dual!!!

I will also add, the guy above who I bet when IOWA was favored. I GAVE THE POINTS!!!! You all are heavy favorites but want to give NO POINTS????

When I make a bet with people, I don't have to remind them of the bet. Once it is agreed to, I know and they know it has been made and will be upheld. Why weren't you reminding me leading up to the match? Your statements of me not paying if I lost are just stupid, blind accusations, which is what you do over and over and over again.

If the IOWA train is coming on fast, then why on earth aren't you taking me up on my offer to bet you $50 on every Iowa/PSU dual and who finishes higher at nationals for AS MANY YEARS AS YOU WANT? IF you truly believe that "THE TRAIN IS COMING", you'd be jumping all over that. You run away from it, but, deep down, you know you are full of it and just spouting B.S.

P.S. I didn't say I would give any points. We both agreed that we'd wait until the dual is closer. I would expect fans of Rutgers to ask for 20 points. I never thought I'd see the day that Iowa's biggest homer would require 20 points to make a dual meet bet.

When I make a bet with people, I don't have to remind them of the bet. Once it is agreed to, I know and they know it has been made and will be upheld. Why weren't you reminding me leading up to the match? Your statements of me not paying if I lost are just stupid, blind accusations, which is what you do over and over and over again.

If the IOWA train is coming on fast, then why on earth aren't you taking me up on my offer to bet you $50 on every Iowa/PSU dual and who finishes higher at nationals for AS MANY YEARS AS YOU WANT? IF you truly believe that "THE TRAIN IS COMING", you'd be jumping all over that. You run away from it, but, deep down, you know you are full of it and just spouting B.S.

P.S. I didn't say I would give any points. We both agreed that we'd wait until the dual is closer. I would expect fans of Rutgers to ask for 20 points. I never thought I'd see the day that Iowa's biggest homer would require 20 points to make a dual meet bet.
Seriously who cares....

I gave you points when IOWA was favored. Now you are favored and you don't wanna give points? OK, well then without points i won the last bet right? You guys are unreal honestly! We have MANY uncertainties and you all said you have your best team ever. Yet with very fair odds created by YOUR fans, you will not bet.

Then OF COURSE you would have told me about the bet and paid up. Come on guy, get real. I will ask you, how many points should I be getting?

I gave you points when IOWA was favored. Now you are favored and you don't wanna give points? OK, well then without points i won the last bet right? You guys are unreal honestly! We have MANY uncertainties and you all said you have your best team ever. Yet with very fair odds created by YOUR fans, you will not bet.

Then OF COURSE you would have told me about the bet and paid up. Come on guy, get real. I will ask you, how many points should I be getting?

I never said this was the best team ever or anything like that. I don't think PSU is going to beat Iowa by 20 points, which is why I'm not betting it. If we are both being honest, it woudn't make sense to put a line on the match until we know the lineups a little bit better. We can re-visit when it's closer, and I'll definitely give you points.

So, now, explain why you want jump on my "future" bet that I've offered so many times? $50 for every dual meet and national championship for as long as you want to make the bet? I mean you keep telling us how sure you are that "THE IOWA TRAIN IS COMING!" Why not take advantage of me?

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT