ADVERTISEMENT

How would you react if your son told you he was gay?

BrianNole09

HR Legend
May 8, 2005
Not just kinda gay but full on flaming homosexual gay.

Anyone willing to say they'd be upset with the thought of their son being gay?

I think if I had a son who was full-flaming gay I'd already be pretty well-aware just by paying attention to him. It'd be the other scenario (typical cadence/vocabulary, average wardrobe/style, interest in sports, but loves the d) that might catch me off-guard. I'm sure I'd get the "huh?" but it wouldn't take me long to get over that.

dish-032713-andy-cohen.jpg

I'd rather have a Gay son who was a Cardinal, than a straight son who was a Cub.

Honestly, I'd be enormously disappointed. At first for selfish reasons then for reasons such as it's harder to grow up as a homosexual I would think. Eventually I would like to think I'd get over it and love my son for who he is. But yeah, I will admit I'd miss on doing some guy stuff with my son that may or may not be harder since he's gay.

I'm admitting this as someone who fully supports gay rights btw.

Not just kinda gay but full on flaming homosexual gay.

Anyone willing to say they'd be upset with the thought of their son being gay?
"Son, I knew as soon as you put on that Semenoles half-shirt! But you go, gurl, and make the ghost of Bobby Bowdown proud! You're an expert in all things economic, foreign policy, and haute couture! Now go out there and werk it!"

Reactions: naturalmwa
All the best kind.

BTW, I'm sure you've talked about this before when HROT was members-only, but what was it like for you coming out to your family? Based on nothing other than your contributions here, it seems like you're a thick-skinned dude who was born/bred Hawkeye who favors some phallus. Was your family surprised and are/were their views something that made it difficult? It's never been uttered at home, but my mom is Catholic and my dad speaks Catholic and I avoid it. I think we all know this about each other but we still love spending the holidays and the reunions together. That's different than bringing "my friend John" home to meet my parents.

BTW, I'm sure you've talked about this before when HROT was members-only, but what was it like for you coming out to your family? Based on nothing other than your contributions here, it seems like you're a thick-skinned dude who was born/bred Hawkeye who favors some phallus. Was your family surprised and are/were their views something that made it difficult? It's never been uttered at home, but my mom is Catholic and my dad speaks Catholic and I avoid it. I think we all know this about each other but we still love spending the holidays and the reunions together. That's different than bringing "my friend John" home to meet my parents.
My dad wanted to know why I went to the gay bar when I came home from college. He was bummed about the grandkids part. Mom is Catholic, but the rebel sort that thinks women should be priests. She joined PFLAG. They both treat my partner well and it's all very easy.

My dad wanted to know why I went to the gay bar when I came home from college. He was bummed about the grandkids part. Mom is Catholic, but the rebel sort that thinks women should be priests.tShe joined PFLAG. They both treat my partner well and it's all very easy.

Both of my parents have actually asked me if I'm gay and offered to support me. They just don't seem to understand that I'm bad with women because I'm an ass.

Reactions: BrianNole09
Both of my parents have actually asked me if I'm gay and offered to support me. They just don't seem to understand that I'm bad with women because I'm an ass.
You could turn your ass skills to an advantage. Maybe just guest star. A cameo here and there. You could keep your day job.

Worry about how people will treat him.
Ask to stay at his cool apartment while visiting San Francisco.

My Uncle "outed" himself about 25 years ago. He was the youngest of 7 brothers....all of them big into sports and "manly" type stuff. He had already told my grandparents and they were surprisingly cool with it (they were pretty conservative and he thought they wouldn't take it well).

He gathers all the brothers together to break the news and was very nervous about it ect. Apparently, he starts with "I need to tell you all something" and one of my Uncles breaks in "We know your gay....drama queen".....they were all cool with it. Just never brought it up or pressed him on it.

I have a pretty cool family.....

Swag is right, you poor poor bastard. If your parents REALLY loved you they would have gotten you counseling.

Here's the worst part, lots of women like jerks and assholes. I mean dude, you must have like ZERO going for you. LOL

Hmmm...you started this thread on at least two different boards. Is there something deeper going on? You planning on having a chat with your dad this weekend? No grandkids for him huh?

Swag is right, you poor poor bastard. If your parents REALLY loved you they would have gotten you counseling. %

Here's the worst part, lots of women like jerks and assholes. I mean dude, you must have like ZERO going for you. LOL

It was 90% a self-deprecating joke, sir. You wouldn't understand because you're unfunny/humorless. And I know that you're humorless because you typed LOL at the end of your own comment. And because this was your response to my post, I'm never going to believe anything you say because you're clearly on the left side of the bell curve.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT