ADVERTISEMENT

Husch-Blackwell Report is Out

The "NFL Draft Prospects" allegations for instance. What motivation would the coaching staff have to make disparaging comments about a player's draft prospects? After all having players drafted in a good thing for the program.

Again, Wadley's comments are easily identifiable.
Coaches do know if they lie about a player, scouts will remember that. If coaches don’t tell the truth that marginal pro player may never get a look if Kirk doesn’t say so.
So coaches are only as good as their word. So yes some coaches may have said a player had attendance issues because they know if they heap on unwarranted praise that scouts find to be untrue, it will affect the ability of Iowa’s coaches to get another player a look.
So there is a incentive for coaches to be truthful. Players may not like it but you made your bed in your 4-5 years in a program.

If it is truly nothing of note that hasn’t already been brought to light/being addressed....where do Moorehouse, Harty and Howe go from here?

I did see something about 4 individuals who seemed to be in a bit of trouble. Guessing BF, Wallace....who else? (Or maybe that tweet was wrong).
Yeah, I was wondering who the fourth guy is......Barta?

I hate to say it, because I'm not even particularly religious and it's also a cliche boomer statement, but there is no longer a fear of a God or of a "judgement day" , and I think that has contributed to how out of control society seems to have become.

I'd say internet has been a contributor. Everyone seeking their 10 minutes and getting a follow or a retweet or a like.

nothingburger.JPEG

Someone in the administration should be reprimanded for allowing money to be wasted in this manner.

Ridiculous.

I think it is important to have an objective third party vet the claims and write such a report. Iowa (and each of us) may not be surprised at the conclusion but it looks a lot better that it is reached in this manner as opposed to Iowa declaring its own problem “fixed”.

Coaches do know if they lie about a player, scouts will remember that. If coaches don’t tell the truth that marginal pro player may never get a look if Kirk doesn’t say so.
So coaches are only as good as their word. So yes some coaches may have said a player had attendance issues because they know if they heap on unwarranted praise that scouts find to be untrue, it will affect the ability of Iowa’s coaches to get another player a look.
So there is a incentive for coaches to be truthful. Players may not like it but you made your bed in your 4-5 years in a program.
I have no doubt KF spoke only good words about draft eligible players. But I believe Doyle is the guy people are talking about when they said players were spoken poorly of to scouts.

Reactions: hawkfeever
Slander isn't ground for a civil suit?

Doyle is a public figure so he would have to prove actual malice which is incredibly difficult to do especially when many of the statements are about how the players felt they were being treated.

Oh ... okay

Here is KF's statement...
“This is an important time for me as a leader and for our program. This Review brings us face-to-face with allegations of uneven treatment, where our culture that mandated uniformity caused many Black players to feel they were unable to show up as their authentic selves.

“I want to apologize for the pain and frustration they felt at a time when I was trusted to help each of them become a better player, and a better person.

“There are several key takeaways that influence how we will advance the program, so every student-athlete has a healthy and positive team experience.

“This has been a moment of truth for me. The release of this independent review is not the end of the conversation, it is the beginning of the next chapter in our program’s history.”

So they fired somebody over a nothingburger? that's not shocking
At the very least, they needed to once everything became public to save their recruiting abilities.

Not saying it’s right but once the avalanche started, they needed to do something or recruiting would have become impossible.

Reactions: NoSwampDonkeys
At the very least, they needed to once everything became public to save their recruiting abilities.

Not saying it’s right but once the avalanche started, they needed to do something or recruiting would have become impossible.
I would have more respect for them if they kept the real good 21-year coach and said all that other crap is BS. I would think winning and showing a 21 year track record is better for recruiting.

Here is KF's statement...
“This is an important time for me as a leader and for our program. This Review brings us face-to-face with allegations of uneven treatment, where our culture that mandated uniformity caused many Black players to feel they were unable to show up as their authentic selves.

“I want to apologize for the pain and frustration they felt at a time when I was trusted to help each of them become a better player, and a better person.

“There are several key takeaways that influence how we will advance the program, so every student-athlete has a healthy and positive team experience.

“This has been a moment of truth for me. The release of this independent review is not the end of the conversation, it is the beginning of the next chapter in our program’s history.”
I do think all parties will benefit from the conversations/report. Kirk will right the ship ...

Reactions: Pawkhawk1
KF says you are wrong and he would certainly have a more reliable basis for his opinion than you.

what I personally believe is KF wants to run a strict program that enforces discipline, but that he’s not a racist human at all... unfortunately in this current political environment he’s got to back off that because there’s ZERO TOLERANCE for perceived racism... the woke mob gets off on this stuff.

Doyle took the fall over this perception... maybe he needed to as he sure seemed to be a total dickhead of a man. But don’t think for a second KF could dismiss any of this as a bunch of whiny snowflakes even if that’s what he thinks deep down. Hence he HAS TO release these statements or he’d also be facing dismissal. Phrased differently, KF may not disagree with our friend Clark Griswold?

I continue to see a lot of posters try to justify and rationalize racial disparities and at best racial insensitivity and at times racial bias and uneven treatment. Calling out racial issues doesn't make the players incessant whiners or mentally weaker as Bulldog74 amazingly suggests. People of color are becoming more empowered yet still have a long way to go, but its wonderful these difficult discussions taking place and hopefully meaningful and genuine change is achieved to make the program better. Over the years most of us grew to love the Iowa Way but its clear now that there were significant flaws in the Iowa Way and its unfortunate it was allowed to go on for so long, especially as it relates to Doyle and to a lessor degree Brian Ferentz.

Yeah I don't know about all that. If you ever catch me complaining about the temperature of my free steak please kick me in the nuts and tell me to shut the hell up. That's not racism.

Rittenberg tweeing NCAA to allow players to wear patches on uniforms and go in place of where their name would be on the back. Can be commemorative, memorial or social justice.

Need to stop the demeaning speech. In my opinion that is no way for any coach to talk to a kid. I would think we will see some changes in behavior there.
I just wonder if some people have ever been on a football team when they say things like that. Or in the armed forces for that matter.

Coaches will do whatever it takes to get your attention in short order. It is not personal and leads to improvement, also sometimes hurt feelings. Mature people understand it and grow from it.

Guarantee you Coach Kaz was one of the 4. He has not been here in a while, but there was enough there to know one was him.
Dominick Alvis' mother worked with my wife for several years. I met Dominick's parents at an IClub event right after Dom's senior year and they filled me in on what a total jerk and Ahole Kaz was. It was unbelievable how many talented kids he ran off. Probably Kirk's worst hire.

I just wonder if some people have ever been on a football team when they say things like that. Or in the armed forces for that matter.

Coaches will do whatever it takes to get your attention in short order. It is not personal and leads to improvement, also sometimes hurt feelings. Mature people understand it and grow from it.

That is where people are confusing things. This is not the military. The military is not what the kids are signing up for. That is a whole different world. Calling someone f-ing stupid is not a great way to coach in my opinion.

Reactions: hawkbirch
That is where people are confusing things. This is not the military. The military is not what the kids are signing up for. That is a whole different world. Calling someone f-ing stupid is not a great way to coach in my opinion.
It’s probably not how I would go either but playing football in middle school I was called worse. I’m just saying in college football you should expect some colorful criticism.

what I personally believe is KF wants to run a strict program that enforces discipline, but that he’s not a racist human at all... unfortunately in this current political environment he’s got to back off that because there’s ZERO TOLERANCE for perceived racism... the woke mob gets off on this stuff.

Doyle took the fall over this perception... maybe he needed to as he sure seemed to be a total dickhead of a man. But don’t think for a second KF could dismiss any of this as a bunch of whiny snowflakes even if that’s what he thinks deep down. Hence he HAS TO release these statements or he’d also be facing dismissal. Phrased differently, KF may not disagree with our friend Clark Griswold?

My beef is with the posters like Clark who think the players' complaints are entirely based on their desire to not have to follow rules or they lack discipline or because they are simply whining. There hasn't been a single post on this entire topic without at least one poster making that comment.

I don't believe for one second that his statement is anything other than his sincere feelings on the subject. I think KF would choose to say nothing before he would lie about what he really thinks. If he truly believed there wasn't an issue, I think he'd be leaving along with Doyle.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT