ADVERTISEMENT

I’m starting to loath self checkout

I know what you mean. But when I go to a store that is not Hy-Vee, all the people checking you out are jerks. So I would much rather prefer the self checkout line.

Reactions: GOHOX69
I like it for a few items. If I'm buying booze, I'll find someone on the way up and let them know im going to need help. Getting 30-40 items is a chore. Target doesn't have the unknown item in bagging area thing, so never had an issue there.

what sucks doing it at Costco is the damn check out tray is too damn small to fit all your items on it. Then if you take one off to make room the damn computer tells you there is an error and you need to have someone come figure the whole deal out. They literally took ten minutes the other day to recount all the items one by one and figure out which one was scanned/not scanned....sheesh...just B.S all around.

Last edited:
I don't like them. Even if nobody is buying booze, needing an anti-theft device, paying with cash only or card only, or needing help with the EBT vs other transactions, you still need cashiers there whenever the sensors and/or cameras think you're bagging stuff weird. That stops the whole operation. And if you're there when they're short staffed, people just stand at the self checkout for 10 minutes waiting for someone to appear from a break room while the only register with a person working at it is having to do a price check on produce across the store.

I am really good at it. Several times and in several different stores the manager has come up to me and offered me a job on the spot after doing self checkout. I have turned down all of the contracts though and told them it is more of a passion of mine and that I don’t want to mix work in with that and spoil it. They usually sit there in thought as I do a 360 spin jump and press yes to round up to the next dollar for Chairs for Kids, a charity that gives children that don’t have a place to sit a chair.

Ya those people baffle me. Is not talking to another human worth spending that much time and effort to do it yourself?

I don't get it either, I don't think I've ever had a conversation with the cashier

If it's covid, order your groceries delivery. If it's the idea of somebody touching your food, how do you think it got on the shelf?

I'll wait before I do it, when I'm not in a rush. When is the american consumer going to stop accepting being treated like a second class citizen? Until I can scan it myself and just walk out like at Sam's club yall are doing one God damn thing to make this chore less annoying... bagging my shit. My dog feels the same way about walks.

ALDI is king for me for 95% of what I need for groceries. If you compare their prices to competitors, they sort of do pay you to bag groceries (which has been their model forever). They do have lines sometimes, but the cashiers keep it moving. They rarely ever have to price check anything by physically leaving the register or getting a manager's assistance. They in know how to operate the register and the card machine.

Ya those people baffle me. Is not talking to another human worth spending that much time and effort to do it yourself?

Yes, because that cashier that Hy-Vee was all "How are you today?” I said “I’m good, you?” And she was all “I’m WELL.” Then I had to be like, I’m sorry, but I am on team I’m good. I just feel like team I’m well need to take it down a damn notch or by the time they are ringing out the next customer they will have to let them know they are unwell. I had to negotiate not getting outright banned from Hy-Vee. When I presented my case they only banned me from human cashier lines. If they switch to robots or animals in the future I am also allowed to use those. I’m not actually banned from human cashier checkout, I just wanted to sound like a badass.

I'll wait before I do it, when I'm not in a rush. When is the american consumer going to stop accepting being treated like a second class citizen? Until I can scan it myself and just walk out like at Sam's club yall are doing one God damn thing to make this chore less annoying... bagging my shit. My dog feels the same way about walks.
Hy-Vee Scan and Go app. Use the app to scan things as you go. Then you just need to scan a QR code on one of the scan and go lanes when you leave. I've been randomly asked to have a bag check a couple times, but usually just walk right out. It's great.

Yes, because that cashier that Hy-Vee was all "How are you today?” I said “I’m good, you?” And she was all “I’m WELL.” Then I had to be like, I’m sorry, but I am on team I’m good. I just feel like team I’m well need to take it down a damn notch or by the time they are ringing out the next customer they will have to let them know they are unwell. I had to negotiate not getting outright banned from Hy-Vee. When I presented my case they only banned me from human cashier lines. If they switch to robots or animals in the future I am also allowed to use those. I’m not actually banned from human cashier checkout, I just wanted to sound like a badass.
One time a lady at menards told my wife not to get an epidural (wasn't pregnant) and also asked who we were killing with the pick axe (me).

Thank you for being honest at the end. ❤️

Reactions: HawCory and Moral
One time a lady at menards told my wife not to get an epidural (wasn't pregnant) and also asked who we were killing with the pick axe (me).
but for real though, we bought the pick ax to break up some rocky/sandy soil. My wife really got into it and said "This is so therapeutic, i should do this every time i'm angry!" and that was just one of the many times i have felt like homersimpsonbushgif.gif.

I've never liked self-checkout and prefer cashiers, not from a functional standpoint, but for the principle of employing more people. That said, I can and will use self checkout if the wait for a cashier is significantly greater. Seems self checkout is becoming the only option for a lot of stores any more.

I hate small talk or even worse a cashier that wants to talk your ear off and takes their sweet ass time. I’ll do it myself unless I’m at Fareway where the customer service is the best. Love me some Fareway

I hate small talk or even worse a cashier that wants to talk your ear off and takes their sweet ass time. I’ll do it myself unless I’m at Fareway where the customer service is the best. Love me some Fareway

If you don’t like small talk just look at them and say “Amy want green drop drink.” At which point they will ask “Is that a reference to the 1995 film Congo?” This is the important part, you need to just answer back with “Amy want green drop drink.” At that point conversation will probably taper off.

ALDI is king for me for 95% of what I need for groceries. If you compare their prices to competitors, they sort of do pay you to bag groceries (which has been their model forever). They do have lines sometimes, but the cashiers keep it moving. They rarely ever have to price check anything by physically leaving the register or getting a manager's assistance. They in know how to operate the register and the card machine.
Aldis has incredible prices. 98 cent loaf of bread!

Hy-Vee Scan and Go app. Use the app to scan things as you go. Then you just need to scan a QR code on one of the scan and go lanes when you leave. I've been randomly asked to have a bag check a couple times, but usually just walk right out. It's great.
Yeah. Well wouldn't that just be peachy 😉. Not available locally in my location... Instead I forget to scan a few mio or something. I'll report them for wage theft of they stop me.

Reactions: Moral
Yeah. Well wouldn't that just be peachy 😉. Not available locally in my location... Instead I forget to scan a few mio or something. I'll report them for wage theft of they stop me.

I got busted for stealing MiO water flavor enhancer too.

Reactions: HawkFan1298
As someone who works at Hy-vee let me just say the self checkouts suck harder than OP's mom.

Reactions: HawkFan1298
Shortly after covid started everyone was on edge and there was no cleaning supplies left on the shelf. I finally found a bottle of bleach. I bought that and a case of beer. Cashier didn't say anything to me so I just looked at her and said "yea, just trying to decide which one I'm going to drink first."

Can't do that at self checkout.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT