ADVERTISEMENT

I canceled cable this afternoon

NDallasRuss

HR Legend
Dec 5, 2002
Xfinity.

Just got to be too much. Fairly standard channel package - no premium channels - plus internet got up to $208/ month.

I expected a lot of push back and counter offers to stonewall me into taking a new "deal", but there was none of that. It was a pretty straightforward process.

Only weird thing is that I'm used to channel surfing until I get to "Oh, that's on!". Now everything will be streamed, so I'll go out and pick it. I'm sure I'll get used to it.

Tl:dr: NDallasRuss steps into the 21st century.

Xfinity.

Just got to be too much. Fairly standard channel package - no premium channels - plus internet got up to $208/ month.

I expected a lot of push back and counter offers to stonewall me into taking a new "deal", but there was none of that. It was a pretty straightforward process.

Only weird thing is that I'm used to channel surfing until I get to "Oh, that's on!". Now everything will be streamed, so I'll go out and pick it. I'm sure I'll get used to it.

YTTV for the win!

I canceled Cable probably 4 years ago. $230/month or so.
A few years ago, some of the apps didn’t have agreements with local stations for local/live tv.

Now most do, and I don’t miss anything. Plus I have bunny ears.

Internet now is 80 bucks, and I have maybe 30 bucks in subscriptions, if that, and I add/drop apps when there’s something of interest on them I want to watch. I save and feel I have more control of my content.

YTTV for the win!
I've got to figure things out to see what the right mix is. I currently have:
Netflix
Prime
Disney+
Hulu
ESPN+
Peacock

I don't have local channels, which is only really a problem for football.

Paramount, Apple TV, HBO, YTTV? Got some thinking to do.

Netflix
Prime
Disney+
Hulu
ESPN+
Peacock

Peacock (should) give you local nbc. Paramount+ (not to be confused with Paramount) should give you local cbs.

I don’t find ESPN+ useful, it doesn’t give you ESPN streaming.

I occasionally get sling if I want ESPN. I add/drop HBO as needed.

Paramount+ and Peacock I get the most bang for Buck.

My Netflix is free with my T-Mobile cellular plan.

Reactions: NDallasRuss
monkey baboon GIF

Reactions: Magatr0n
Netflix
Prime
Disney+
Hulu
ESPN+
Peacock

What are you using for internet? I’ll be in a similar position as you with xfinity in a couple months once my 2 year rate ends.

Seems like all the steaming services you listed plus YTTV and internet would be damn near $200?

What are you using for internet? I’ll be in a similar position as you with xfinity in a couple months once my 2 year rate ends.

Seems like all the steaming services you listed plus YTTV and internet would be damn near $200?
That’s the thing, you get into sling or YTTV you’re paying the same…

ESPN is the hard one to not pay out the ear for, at least for me. Everything else is manageable

The wife ( no pics) and I did the same last year. We were already paying for all the streaming services, and when we talked about it, of the 300+ cable channels, we watched maybe 10.
So we cut the cord, and I instantly regretted the decision. I tried using Hulu to "surf" as that is what the internets said, nope, it was not the same. I realized that I hate watching streaming unless it is a binge situation and that I never have to change the channel.

I was coping until about 15 days in and got a text alert from my IT provider that I was almost at the data limit, and I could upgrade to unlimited data for x number of dollars. It was the same freaking amount I was paying when I had my sweet ass cable, so I corded back up, and for coming back into the cable company, they gave me a 500 gift card.

Still have xfinity for internet. I don't really have many other options where I live. Verizon and ATT haven't built into the neighborhood.

The easiest might be just upgrading Hulu to Hulu Live.
You will get a discount considering it looks like you have the Disney + bundle.

I had Xfinity cable and internet before I moved last summer. I was paying $200ish for cable with sports package and Showtime. Internet was 400 down and 15 up with a 1TB data cap. Now I have AT&T 1 gig fiber with no data cap along with YTTV for $145. My plan with YTTV is to keep it into May and put it on pause until one week before football season. I can just get by with apps for the summer.

T-Mobile covers $9.00 of my Netflix bill and complimentary Apple TV+. My Walmart + membership gets a Paramount + membership. I am on a $20 yearly membership for Peacock. I will have to renew this as Peacock will be carrying B1G football and basketball games starting this fall. I also have the Disney + bundle. I get credited for that bill monthly by using an Amex Platinum. The Platinum also gets the Walmart + membership for free. I will be pausing Prime starting next month as I do use Walmart + more than I thought I would.

For all of this not including Prime or my T-Mobile bill I am paying $156 a month. Much cheaper than what I was getting with Xfinity.

You will get a discount considering it looks like you have the Disney + bundle.

I had Xfinity cable and internet before I moved last summer. I was paying $200ish for cable with sports package and Showtime. Internet was 400 down and 15 up with a 1TB data cap. Now I have AT&T 1 gig fiber with no data cap along with YTTV for $145. My plan with YTTV is to keep it into May and put it on pause until one week before football season. I can just get by with apps for the summer.

T-Mobile covers $9.00 of my Netflix bill and complimentary Apple TV+. My Walmart + membership gets a Paramount + membership. I am on a $20 yearly membership for Peacock. I will have to renew this as Peacock will be carrying B1G football and basketball games starting this fall. I also have the Disney + bundle. I get credited for that bill monthly by using an Amex Platinum. The Platinum also gets the Walmart + membership for free. I will be pausing Prime starting next month as I do use Walmart + more than I thought I would.

For all of this not including Prime or my T-Mobile bill I am paying $156 a month. Much cheaper than what I was getting with Xfinity.
I wish I had more competition for internet where I am. I think I'll still come out ahead once I figure it all out.

I wish I had more competition for internet where I am. I think I'll still come out ahead once I figure it all out.
You’ll come out ahead of your ok 1) streaming and not surfing 2) add/drop ESPN (via YTTV/ sling) as needed. Again, JMO, most of the streaming services are cheap, but you get into Hulu+, YTTV, Sling- you’re paying for another form of a cable package.

Final thought- my internet is like $80, but that’s including unlimited data (also Xfinity). You HAVE to factor in their $30 or whatever surcharge for unlimited data

That’s the thing, you get into sling or YTTV you’re paying the same…

ESPN is the hard one to not pay out the ear for, at least for me. Everything else is manageable
but you are not paying the same. the comparison is YTTV and cable. even if you have cable, you still have separate subscriptions for netflix, prime, disney+, etc.

Last edited:
Netflix
Prime
Disney+
Hulu
ESPN+
Peacock

Frankly, we spend a lot and have all of those because each of them has unique content we like. we don’t go out to the movies though.

Dropped Mediacom a year ago when it got to $150.00 a month. I stream HULU.
Only thing I don't care for is the commercials that are to liberal in my thinking but I just mute it or get a drink or sandwich during a 5 min commercial. $75.00 a month savings.

The wife ( no pics) and I did the same last year. We were already paying for all the streaming services, and when we talked about it, of the 300+ cable channels, we watched maybe 10.
So we cut the cord, and I instantly regretted the decision. I tried using Hulu to "surf" as that is what the internets said, nope, it was not the same. I realized that I hate watching streaming unless it is a binge situation and that I never have to change the channel.

I was coping until about 15 days in and got a text alert from my IT provider that I was almost at the data limit, and I could upgrade to unlimited data for x number of dollars. It was the same freaking amount I was paying when I had my sweet ass cable, so I corded back up, and for coming back into the cable company, they gave me a 500 gift card.
This is what I tell my wife when she brings it up.
Besides the cost creeping back up to the same amount, I have zero patience to manage eight different streaming services.

Xfinity used to be easy to get back on a promo plan when it expired. Like Triple Play for $130-150. They quit doing that. I switched to the Gigabit Internet plan. That was a promo for 3 years for $80/mo. I just started on my 3rd year and that will jump up about 30-40 bucks. So we'll see what kind of deal I can get after this. I had good luck DM'ing them on Twitter and working a deal. But on top of that, they charge $30/month for unlimited data in some states and that was supposed to be started in the Northeast a couple years ago, but they put that on hold. If you use less than 1.2 TB you wouldn't need it, but we use about 3TB per month. Cutting the cord isn't what it used to be. That $200/mo isn't as bad of a deal anymore if you subscribe to a bunch of services like we do.

Xfinity.

Your wife loves when I lay cable. I didn't read the entire thread, has there been a "wife" or "mom" comment?

Only weird thing is that I'm used to channel surfing until I get to "Oh, that's on!".
Yeah, I really wish YTTV would change their interface. We use Google Chrome to get into our apps and the guide for Chrome does incorporate much of what we have on the apps so at least we can scroll through the guide. Two other things that suck about the interface: When you are watching a show, I've found you can't just pull up the info on that show without going to the guide... and, sometimes we're watching a show and we want to record it as we need to leave and you can't just record the rest of the show, it won't record until the next episode. I'm sure there is a way to watch where you left off but I'm used to the other way.

Xfinity.

What took you so long? Lol..

Reactions: kzoohawk80
Netflix
Prime
Disney+
Hulu
ESPN+
Peacock

Paramount is a must if you are watching all of 7th Heaven like me. Learning so many life lessons.

My cable service was charging me for each HD box, so I bought an HD prime box that I could use my home wifi and watch my cable on up to 4 tvs. Had the cable company send me an M-Card and they charged 4 times the market rate for that. That pissed me off so I eventually dropped them and went to YTTV among other services but I hated switching apps to surf tv.

Finally, my cable company started offering their service through an iTV streaming package. I get every channel I was getting through cable and it's a bundled package with my internet. $167 a month. 500 mb service with no data caps. I could save a few bucks by going back to internet only and YTTV, but I'd be right back in the same boat as before.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT