ADVERTISEMENT

Idaho House passes bill criminalizing gender-affirming care for trans youth

I'm not saying it's not life altering. I think treatment for hypospasia being medically necessary does not make it a good comparison to gender transitioning.

My youngest was circumcised to treat the hypospadias.

The calculation there is that that hypospadias causes more harm to the patient than circumcision.
Hypospadias is a condition that the end of urethra/peeing tube is not completely formed. Just to clarify, we use the skin from the circumcision to build a tube for the child to pee through in order to fix the problem.

It's being deemed medically necessary by psychologists not medical doctors.

While psychology as a science is the best we have I am skeptical of the science overall because we are so bad at it as a species. I don't think anyone should be making big decisions based on it if they don't have to.
How about we switch to psychiatrists who are medical doctors rather than psychologists. Does that change your stance?

Here is the problem I'm reading that puberty blockers are reversible for the development of breasts and facial hair. Ok cool but what about something like height. I see no indication that it's not going to affect one's height.

And I am also noting that it is an unknown how these things affect a person psychologically.

Use of GnRH analogues might also have long-term effects on:

• Growth spurts
  • Bone growth and density
  • Future fertility — depending on when pubertal blockers are started
Also

"In addition, delaying puberty beyond one's peers can be stressful. Your child might experience lower self-esteem."

So we introduce these to people in order to prevent low self esteem from gender dysphoria but end up giving them low self esteem because they are 16 years old but still look like they are 12.
You see no indication that it's not going to effect ones height but you also see know indication it is????? So what if you're 5'8" rather than 6'1". You also are concerned about the affect psychologically but then you just said above they psychology is not an exact science.

Sounds like you don't really know what you're talking about so perhaps you should defer to the experts and fight against laws like this.

Again if a kid starts telling you that they don't want to have kids in the future, we don't immediately rush them off to the doctor to give them a vasectomy or a tubal litigation. Why rush to pump them with puberty blockers? Why start affirming this change right away?
Let's go with the theoretical scenario that we make everyone wait until 18 before offering them any treatment for transgenderism other than counseling.

Female wanting to become male- Pretty tough to feel manly when you've grown a big set of cans and are bleeding out your vagina. Now your 18 and you want to transition. You have to undergo a mastectomy which is additional surgery that you would not have needed if you had been on blockers. Nothing is more disconcerting to a trans man than having a period.

Male wanting to become female- Patient grows to 6'4" which can happen as a female but uncommon. They've got broad shoulders, big hands, a raised eyebrow ridge, and an Adam's apple. They develop minimal breast tissue on hormones. Now they will need breast augmentation, a tracheal shaving, and reduction of their brow. They may need vocal chord treatments to reduce the deepening of their voice.

So there is no harm in waiting until your 18....got it.

You may know that we aren't cutting off body parts but it appears other don't (or your alternate handles). The brain continues to develop until age 25. Best to make people have a restricted drivers license, not buy property, join the military, etc until 25 then so we can have maximal safety.
So a urologist is a mental health expert as well.

Reactions: HawkFan1298
Or it's common knowledge to those that work with juveniles and young adults that the brain and reasoning continue to develop until 25.

I wonder if someone somehow discovered a ~100% accurate genetic test for "gayness" or "trans", that was available during the 2nd/3rd month of pregnancy by amnio........if the GOP would change their position on "abortions" then... 👀

I wonder if someone somehow discovered a ~100% accurate genetic test for "gayness" or "trans", that was available during the 2nd/3rd month of pregnancy by amnio........if the GOP would change their position on "abortions" then... 👀
They'd be required rather than prohibited.

They'd be required rather than prohibited.
Especially for transgender babies.

People like Hoosier are seriously concerned that transgenders will take over if it becomes "normalized". He's not so worried about gay people anymore. Here's his post from another thread today.
No I'm pointing out that these things being normalized is only going to increase their number.

I'm not worried about gay people. They seem to pose no significant threat to the community, other people's goals, or other people's freedoms. The wedding cake scenario should easily be solved by requiring any custom work that includes recognizable words or symbols to be up to the business owner to turn down on the basis of free speech but any work that doesn't include that to be available to any paying customer.

I am on record that divorce should have never been normalized and should be harder to get and I still believe that to be true. It has done a great deal of harm to the community and to people's mental health.

All of the effort spent trying to keep marriage as one between men and women only should have been expended on making marriage a life long commitment which one should not break without extremely strong reasons.

Especially for transgender babies.

People like Hoosier are seriously concerned that transgenders will take over if it becomes "normalized". He's not so worried about gay people anymore. Here's his post from another thread today.

Again I'm not worried about what they do as adults. I am worried about pumping children full of puberty blockers when they are so young and have little understanding of the world or even who they are.

How about we switch to psychiatrists who are medical doctors rather than psychologists. Does that change your stance?

Not really. . . Psychiatry is a science that we are in general bad at. It's educated guessing at best. People who have been given prescriptions by a psychiatrist only to have things made worse are a dime a dozen.

And again I'm not saying it's not a legitimate science but so much of it is an educated guess that I would consider prescriptions from a psychiatrist to be a last resort.

Again I'm not worried about what they do as adults. I am worried about pumping children full of puberty blockers when they are so young and have little understanding of the world or even who they are.
In this thread you are worried about medical professionals and parents making decisions you don't agree with, in the sports threads you are worried about adult transgender females taking over women's sports.

In this thread you are worried about medical professionals and parents making decisions you don't agree with, in the sports threads you are worried about adult transgender females taking over women's sports.

That is correct.

We've done very little study on either one of these things and are preceding ahead as though we know what we're doing.

We can't even establish that trans females don't have an advantage in sports, but are proceeding as though it's been proven that no advantage exists.

We don't know how these treatments affect people in the long run and they have very clear negative side effects but are proceeding as though it's safe. Worse we are proceeding as though children are capable of making lifetime decisions like this.

That is correct.

We've done very little study on either one of these things and are preceding ahead as though we know what we're doing.

We can't even establish that trans females don't have an advantage in sports, but are proceeding as though it's been proven that no advantage exists.

We don't know how these treatments affect people in the long run and they have very clear negative side effects but are proceeding as though it's safe. Worse we are proceeding as though children are capable of making lifetime decisions like this.
How do you feel about people who allow their children to be given experimental drugs to try to safe their lives from rare diseases?

Perhaps if you can establish that yes.
How do you propose it be established? Can they express suicidal feelings or do they have to make an attempt? What about self harm such as cutting is that serious enough for them to receive medical help?

How do you propose it be established? Can they express suicidal feelings or do they have to make an attempt? What about self harm such as cutting is that serious enough for them to receive medical help?

I would go with a simple expression of suicidal feelings. Although I think the help should be focused on the suicide. "I'm gonna kill myself if you don't prescribe me puberty blockers" is not an acceptable treatment plan.

I would go with a simple expression of suicidal feelings. Although I think the help should be focused on the suicide. "I'm gonna kill myself if you don't prescribe me puberty blockers" is not an acceptable treatment plan.
These children are not toddlers holding their breath until you give in. Taking puberty blockers is not some cool trend, it's a treatment for a serious condition. I doubt many adolescents even know they exist, they're children asking for help and some adults are saying "You're fine. Wait until you grow up."

These children are not toddlers holding their breath until you give in. Taking puberty blockers is not some cool trend, it's a treatment for a serious condition. I doubt many adolescents even know they exist, they're children asking for help and some adults are saying "You're fine. Wait until you grow up."
Trans and puberty blockers are not a trend in the sense people do it because they think its cool. It is a trend because people need to belong, and one of the current ways to gain acceptance is to announce you are trans, non bionary, etc. as a society we are told to praise someone who comes out as trans because they are courageous (it makes sense the suicide rate goes down, they feel accepted, but it has nothing to do with gender).

I linked an article i thought was interesting. It says, "Exclusion is damaging because it actually hurts: the sensation is akin to physical pain".

A sense of belonging is the primary root of all of this. There is nothing inherently wrong with these kids bodies, it is how they feel overall that is the problem.

"Most of the studies included in the review (14 of 22) suggested that loneliness was a significant predictor of later SIB. The authors’ meta-analysis including 17 of the studies confirmed that loneliness was a significant predictor of overall later suicide ideation and/or behaviour (SIB)".

Conclusions The authors concluded that loneliness appears to predict future suicide ideation and/or behaviour (SIB). There was some evidence that this effect was strongest in specific groups, including those aged between 16-20 or over 58 years at baseline and in samples that were predominantly female,

If i remember the data, this alligns perfectly with trans statistics.

Trans and puberty blockers are not a trend in the sense people do it because they think its cool. It is a trend because people need to belong, and one of the current ways to gain acceptance is to announce you are trans, non bionary, etc. as a society we are told to praise someone who comes out as trans because they are courageous (it makes sense the suicide rate goes down, they feel accepted, but it has nothing to do with gender).

I linked an article i thought was interesting. It says, "Exclusion is damaging because it actually hurts: the sensation is akin to physical pain".

A sense of belonging is the primary root of all of this. There is nothing inherently wrong with these kids bodies, it is how they feel overall that is the problem.

"Most of the studies included in the review (14 of 22) suggested that loneliness was a significant predictor of later SIB. The authors’ meta-analysis including 17 of the studies confirmed that loneliness was a significant predictor of overall later suicide ideation and/or behaviour (SIB)".

Conclusions The authors concluded that loneliness appears to predict future suicide ideation and/or behaviour (SIB). There was some evidence that this effect was strongest in specific groups, including those aged between 16-20 or over 58 years at baseline and in samples that were predominantly female,

If i remember the data, this alligns perfectly with trans statistics.
I'll concede the point that people need to belong, but I fail to see how coming out as a transgender person suddenly makes you popular. Do you have an article that makes that claim?

I'll concede the point that people need to belong, but I fail to see how coming out as a transgender person suddenly makes you popular. Do you have an article that makes that claim?
This is evidenced by the decreased suicide rates for trans.

I know that sounds weird coming from me, but it is the sense of belonging, finally getting approval from parents and family (before coming out they might be considerd a problem child or troubled kid, after coming out they tend to be celebrated on the big scale). Being treated for underlying mental health issues, but most importantly, they gain a group of friends they identify with.

This is why you see the causation vs correlation argument. Could we achieve the same decreased suicide rate by helping the kid gain acceptance in other ways?

Maybe the kid doesnt fit in because they are a nerd. what if joining the math club was the answer to their problem, instead, now they identify as a girl.

Coming out as trans does not make you popular, but it does bring you attention. For a kid who never feels good enough, this is a pretty cool feeling. But that feeling doesn't last forever. Eventually the "honeymoon" period will wear off, and then these kids will be faced with what to do next. This is where i fear you will have a rebound increase in suicide rates in the future. Because hormones, puberty blockers or surgery didnt fix the actual problem, they just covered it up for a while.

It is at least possible that for a lot of these kids. We are creating more problems than they already had.

This is evidenced by the decreased suicide rates for trans.

I know that sounds weird coming from me, but it is the sense of belonging, finally getting approval from parents and family (before coming out they might be considerd a problem child or troubled kid, after coming out they tend to be celebrated on the big scale). Being treated for underlying mental health issues, but most importantly, they gain a group of friends they identify with.

This is why you see the causation vs correlation argument. Could we achieve the same decreased suicide rate by helping the kid gain acceptance in other ways?

Maybe the kid doesnt fit in because they are a nerd. what if joining the math club was the answer to their problem, instead, now they identify as a girl.

Coming out as trans does not make you popular, but it does bring you attention. For a kid who never feels good enough, this is a pretty cool feeling. But that feeling doesn't last forever. Eventually the "honeymoon" period will wear off, and then these kids will be faced with what to do next. This is where i fear you will have a rebound increase in suicide rates in the future. Because hormones, puberty blockers or surgery didnt fix the actual problem, they just covered it up for a while.

It is at least possible that for a lot of these kids. We are creating more problems than they already had.
Don't you think those options are better being decided and implemented by medical professionals and families rather than state legislators?

That's not what I said by any stretch of the imagination. If you were interested in truly understanding this issue, you would know that. Just so we are clear, I support everyone finding and being their authentic self. I would never tell a family member that I cannot accept them or ask that they change who they are at their core in order to satisfy me.

I feel like there are posters in this thread who think hormone blockers and other related drugs are prescribed after just one session with a therapist and they never check in on that again. I know only the broad details but transition takes a long time.

I'm guessing with all the activity on this tread today it was mentioned that the punishment is life in prison... that will certainly help the kids in the family.

I feel like a legal argument could be made that a life sentence would violate the cruel and unusual punishment thing.

I feel like there are posters in this thread who think hormone blockers and other related drugs are prescribed after just one session with a therapist and they never check in on that again. I know only the broad details but transition takes a long time.
Yes, a lot of people talking about something that they know nothing of... But their church is telling them Jesus says its bad. Oh, and then to send money.

I know they probably don’t care but I hope the posters in this thread who are worried about normalizing being transgender and kids coming out as transgender just for attention, realize just how transphobic those attitudes are.

Don't you think those options are better being decided and implemented by medical professionals and families rather than state legislators?
I do, but for whatever reason, trans has become a very political topic.

It has become unacceptable for people in the medical community to voice concerns about trans care otherwise they may be labeled transphobic.

I have also seen quite a few vocal psych doctors who are pushing their own personal agenda instead of approaching the topic subjectively. This is extremely concerning to me.

Sometimes laws have to be made to prevent harming people who cant adequately speak for themselves.

I do, but for whatever reason, trans has become a very political topic.

It has become unacceptable for people in the medical community to voice concerns about trans care otherwise they may be labeled transphobic.

I have also seen quite a few vocal psych doctors who are pushing their own personal agenda instead of approaching the topic subjectively. This is extremely concerning to me.

Sometimes laws have to be made to prevent harming people who cant adequately speak for themselves.
I think it's more likely politicians are participating in a "culture war" than medical professionals are afraid of being labeled transphobic. If doctors promote an unethical practice they are subject to malpractice, politicians have no such concerns.

The idea that parents might serve a life sentence for seeking treatment for their suicidal child is as Unamerican as it gets. It boggles my mind that anyone would want politicians to take away their rights to medical treatment for their children. In the end those that support this law will come to regret their decision when other medical decisions are taken over by whatever party is in power.

Reactions: hawkbirch
I know they probably don’t care but I hope the posters in this thread who are worried about normalizing being transgender and kids coming out as transgender just for attention, realize just how transphobic those attitudes are.
If you open your eyes, you will see that almost everyone who has posted in this thread wants the best for these kids.

Just because someone doesn't agree with you, doesn't make them transphobic.

You want to see trans as a normal part of society and anything that doesn't fit that idea is transphobic in your eyes. but this is not the truth.

I want these kids to be happy and healthy and i dont think temporarily stopping puberty, starting hormones, and surgery is the solution to most of these kid's problems.

I believe these kids would be better served to learn how to cope with their gender dysphoria instead of physically changing their body. Teach them how to be themselves while still embracing the body they were born with. (I realize these are the words of the devil in your eyes).

Learning high quality coping skills anong with mental health care may decrease suicide rates more than gender affirmation. but we wont know if you call every who tries something different transphobic.

Heck, if people would put down the social media, you might see happier people in this world.

Reactions: TylerJ76
I think it's more likely politicians are participating in a "culture war" than medical professionals are afraid of being labeled transphobic. If doctors promote an unethical practice they are subject to malpractice, politicians have no such concerns.

The idea that parents might serve a life sentence for seeking treatment for their suicidal child is as Unamerican as it gets. It boggles my mind that anyone would want politicians to take away their rights to medical treatment for their children. In the end those that support this law will come to regret their decision when other medical decisions are taken over by whatever party is in power.
I agree with you on that. I dont think life in prison is appropriate.

I wish both sides would pump the brakes until more research is done.

No. There's actually rational, scientific debate about treating people in medical and scientific circles

Those are things you and your politics know nothing about.

No. There's actually rational, scientific debate about treating people in medical and scientific circles

Those are things you and your politics know nothing about.
You dont want an actual discussion. You just get off by telling me how wrong i am and calling names. For those reasons, i won't participate in this discussion with you.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT