ADVERTISEMENT

Illinois PBP Thread

Dont be fooled by the PA wrestling in my name lol. I am a Nebraska football fan so my first post here will likely be hated lol. As for Murin, I watched him lose in the finals of the Bedford Tournament as a sophomore in high school. He was still crying on the awards stand and 30 minutes later in the hall. Seems like some things never change. BTW, rooting hard for Spencer on Sunday. He is gonna win big I think.

Welcome to the board. Nebraska football freaking sucks bro.

He did eventually, but first period he literally stood OOB for a minute while Marinelli stalked and didnt get warmed. Wilcke was at least in bounds holding ground

Yup...they gave that match to him. Had Illinois shot then I could see it but hits him for stalling and then again a few secs later when they go out of bounds. We all know Wilcke needs a sense of urgency in these situations but dang.

Stoll against the dude he pinned to win the match last year.
Deuce Rachel
Iowa leads 25-8

Wilke deserved to lose, you can't wait until you are losing in the last minute to do something. He never *$#$#$% learns.
To be fair, he played it like a lot of teams would play favorited Iowa wrestlers. He was going up against the #2 guy in the country.

For years, teams would have their guys play everything close to the vest, keep it low scoring, not give up anything but not shoot either to prevent getting countered. And then later in the match they'd turn it on to try to catch our guys in a scramble or a counter, anything.

That's kinda how Wilcke wrestled there.

Yes, not the Iowa style at all, but he had his chances to beat one of the top-ranked guys.

Yup...they gave that match to him. Had Illinois shot then I could see it but hits him for stalling and then again a few secs later when they go out of bounds. We all know Wilcke needs a sense of urgency in these situations but dang.

The two calls there were quick but Wilke was stalling in the match and could have been called earlier and he did back up. You get what you earn.

Rachel is using the end perimeter of the mat
Stoll stalking him
2:25
OOB
Now Rachel is not even pretending to circle, so he gets a SW
2:07
Stoll over / under and another SW
1-0 Stoll
That beeping noise that government vehicles make when they back up?
Another back but no SW
1:15
Another gift from the ref on teh back out.
1:02
Wow another circle back out?
45 seconds

2nd
Ironside cannot believe that there was only 2 SW
Rachel goes down
Ironside KNOWS we got 3 SW
Grace politely explaining it.
Rachel is head to the mat
Stoll working on finding the wrist
I hope Rachel is getting some tution relief for this.
Stoll getting an arm up
Like an Evans hip tilt
Now the arm and has him over
and quickly, suddnely as the very end, it is over.
4:20 Time of the fall

Reactions: SurgeonMMA
I wonder if the ref called it to prevent an injury because it didn't look like his back was completely on the mat when he called it.

Iowa wins 31-8
Rare weekend that they have 2 duals
Guys who did well, enjoy it
Guys who lost, figure it out.
ironside is thinking 141 and 157. Both had winnable matches.
Looking for a rebound on Sunday.
2 pm on Sunday
No TV on Sunday?
I thought it was BTN+
Tune in ealy next Sunday
Don't miss 125.

Nice wins for Glynn and Shaw
On the air at 1:45 on Sunday.
I-Heart radio KXIC and over the air on AM-800

That ref tonight is the exact reason there needs to be a push out rule. One time it is action, the next time a stall call and no difference between the two. Gunther could have been dq'd much earlier but he wouldn't call it. Then Wilke he calls it right away and 10 seconds later Parker backs straight out and no call. Then who know in Stoll's match.

To be fair, he played it like a lot of teams would play favorited Iowa wrestlers. He was going up against the #2 guy in the country.

For years, teams would have their guys play everything close to the vest, keep it low scoring, not give up anything but not shoot either to prevent getting countered. And then later in the match they'd turn it on to try to catch our guys in a scramble or a counter, anything.

That's kinda how Wilcke wrestled there.

Yes, not the Iowa style at all, but he had his chances to beat one of the top-ranked guys.
I would give him the benefit of the doubt if he hadn't wrestled his last 50 matches exactly the same way. That strategy works great for him in terms of keeping matches close with top 8 guys, but since he's never actually beat a top-8 guy with that strategy, and has lost to a lot of non-top-8 guys with that strategy, and kept a lot of non-top-20 guys in matches much longer than they should've with that strategy, I humbly suggest that it's a flawed strategy and he should stop using it. For God's sake, start wrestling at the beginning of the match and wrestle hard to the end of the match. Don't just wrestle the LAST 30 SECONDS of every match.

As Ironside said, it's just Wilcke's mindset and he's unlikely to change. I agree 100%. He's a lost cause.

I'm more concerned that Kaleb Young seems to have caught the Cash Wilcke bug. That concerns me greatly.

The two calls there were quick but Wilke was stalling in the match and could have been called earlier and he did back up. You get what you earn.

Yea...but it usually takes a shot from the other guy to get a call. Illinois was just pushing. The second call a few secs later was legit. Illinois backed up a lot tonight and wrestled the edge frequently and could have gotten called a lot more than they did. If I were a coach, I say you get what you earn but as a fan it's different.

I would give him the benefit of the doubt if he hadn't wrestled his last 50 matches exactly the same way. That strategy works great for him in terms of keeping matches close with top 8 guys, but since he's never actually beat a top-8 guy with that strategy, and has lost to a lot of non-top-8 guys with that strategy, and kept a lot of non-top-20 guys in matches much longer than they should've with that strategy, I humbly suggest that it's a flawed strategy and he should stop using it. For God's sake, start wrestling at the beginning of the match and wrestle hard to the end of the match. Don't just wrestle the LAST 30 SECONDS of every match.

As Ironside said, it's just Wilcke's mindset and he's unlikely to change. I agree 100%. He's a lost cause.

I'm more concerned that Kaleb Young seems to have caught the Cash Wilcke bug. That concerns me greatly.
Young ranking climbing has him wrestling not to lose. Good time for him to take a loss like this and get his head back in game

Dont be fooled by the PA wrestling in my name lol. I am a Nebraska football fan so my first post here will likely be hated lol. As for Murin, I watched him lose in the finals of the Bedford Tournament as a sophomore in high school. He was still crying on the awards stand and 30 minutes later in the hall. Seems like some things never change. BTW, rooting hard for Spencer on Sunday. He is gonna win big I think.
And Mike Carr wrestled for South Fayette. He was there to see the crying fit. Probably where the history comes from.

I'm drunk. And i dont like the Hawkeyes, at all. But just watched the dual and I know Spencer will repeat (I love that kid kid) and Marinelli should. He's gotta quit leading with that heavy right. That's easy to figure out. As a dad, I would like him to win for Eli. We're a small community with passion for our beloved teams, but family matters most. When I heard that story it ripped me apart. God bless all wrestling fans.

I'm drunk. And i dont like the Hawkeyes, at all. But just watched the dual and I know Spencer will repeat (I love that kid kid) and Marinelli should. He's gotta quit leading with that heavy right. That's easy to figure out. As a dad, I would like him to win for Eli. We're a small community with passion for our beloved teams, but family matters most. When I heard that story it ripped me apart. God bless all wrestling fans.
Drunk post of the year? Simply based on the spelling, grammar and puncuation, if not the content. Although seldom recommended, "Drink more, post often".

Whizzer
Screenshot_69-300x188.jpg

Wizard
s-l300.jpg

Granby
2013-06-09%20Jeffrey%20Kirkland%20Granby.JPG

Grandby
Four-Wheel-Long-Bed-Popup-Truck-Camper-Grandby-Model-Front-Dinette-Seating.jpg

Well young did same thing at Minn score was 1-1 until late in the 3rd when he hit that throw. Guy has to shot to get tds played right into Barlow hands. dam dam come on Hawks get with it. Michigan took down Ohio State they gonna be
thanks, i was recording that to watch next

Was Desanto suspended for this match?

FRL thought he would have to sit out the next match since he got his second misconduct penalty last week.

FRL thought he would have to sit out the next match since he got his second misconduct penalty last week.

The penalty last week was not a misconduct penalty on Desanto, it was a Loss of Mat Control on Tom for running onto the mat and grabbing Desanto.

Reactions: HIWILLE

Nothing was said on the radio about a suspension. Then again, I would doubt TnT would say anything publically anyway.

Nothing was said on the radio about a suspension. Then again, I would doubt TnT would say anything publically anyway.
They wouldn't, but Bowman didn't wrestle either. Maybe just a wake up call to DeSanto or an atta boy for Glynn.

They wouldn't, but Bowman didn't wrestle either. Maybe just a wake up call to DeSanto or an atta boy for Glynn.

Brands in post dual interview said something like, "take Glynn and Shaw, tonight we needed them" which would imply that guys are hurt.

I took it as that "Brands discourse" where he finds himself in the middle of sentence and then realizes he needs to alter the end of the sentence. Consider something like this, what he wants to say: "Kwood reallly sh#t the bed last night" but instead he says: "Kwood really had poopy pants".

Then to make matters even more confusing, Glynn makes it sound like he was going right before the dual and that Brands told him he owed Duncan from last year, making sound a little like revenge. And then after Glynn wins, he gives "high 5s" to everyone and I'm pretty sure that he gives one to ADS. Perhaps he was saying "thanks for letting go tonight so that I could beat that guy"

I don't think it was a wake up call / punishment or reward. I just think it was revenge.

Reactions: 24 so far
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT