ADVERTISEMENT

In Minnesota, it simply won't stop raining

Yes I live in Iowa.
“The policy initiatives derive from highly uncertain scientific theories. They are based on the unsupported assumption that catastrophic global warming follows from the burning of fossil fuel and requires immediate action.

FUNFACT: The oil companies, themselves, understood this in the 1980s, and that information is readily available for review; it is archived at the University of Texas now.

It is outlined in excrutiating detail in the Frontline 3-part series The Power Of Big Oil.

FUNFACT: The oil companies, themselves, understood this in the 1980s, and that information is readily available for review; it is archived at the University of Texas now.

It is outlined in excrutiating detail in the Frontline 3-part series The Power Of Big Oil.
Big Oil, Big Tobacco, Big Pharm, Big Gun, Big Tech are all friends of the people who have the public’s best interest in mind. They are not greedy corporations who are only out to line their pockets and will push any narrative and propaganda to benefit themselves. 🙄

So, if your neighbor pours fuel on the fire, if you also do so it won’t it make a bigger fire?
What is the gain in your hood? Blame China or others, if you add to the fire, you are adding to the fire.
I see the analogy that you’re trying to make, but it’s not realistic to compare a neighbor’s “fire” to the global climate.

What no climate crazy has been able to explain…is if the United States spends billions on trying to reduce carbon emissions, yet other big polluters (like China) don’t…then that won’t materially impact the environment. It’s a global pollution issue. Farmers in northwest Iowa have for generations transformed most wet lands into farmland via tiling etc. That is what has significantly exacerbated the ground water flooding issue. Oh well, at least the drought is over. 😉

South Dakota I-29 Exit 2 to Exit 9 now closed. Building levees there to protect North Sioux City and Dakota Dunes.

I've received pictures of water over I29 in that area.

Hamilton Blvd exit on Sioux City underwater currently.

Big Sioux won't crest there for a couple more days. Missouri is cresting overnight.

I'm serious. Just climate change initiatives?

Just climate change initatives? Do think that is a joke or something? Humans are the direct reason for climate change. Humans are also stupid to think they can battle mother nature and continue to build homes and businesses in floodplains. Humans are dumb enough to subsidize developments in areas that shouldn't be developed.

Earth is angry at us and we don't seem to be paying attention.

Reactions: InsaneHawkJJP
Just climate change initatives? Do think that is a joke or something? Humans are the direct reason for climate change. Humans are also stupid to think they can battle mother nature and continue to build homes and businesses in floodplains. Humans are dumb enough to subsidize developments in areas that shouldn't be developed.

Earth is angry at us and we don't seem to be paying attention.
Well duh. What should be a few nation wide steps to get it under control?

Well duh. What should be a few nation wide steps to get it under control?

Mandate solar and wind power. Mandate recycling. Cut down on office hours for folks that can work remotely. (No sense powering gigantic buildings with 2 or 3 people per floor). Tax carbon emissions. Cut subsidies to businesses/trades that are putting out more pollution through the air or water than they produce benefits for society. Lastly, tax Cyclone fans.

Mandate solar and wind power. Mandate recycling. Cut down on office hours for folks that can work remotely. (No sense powering gigantic buildings with 2 or 3 people per floor). Tax carbon emissions. Cut subsidies to businesses/trades that are putting out more pollution through the air or water than they produce benefits for society. Lastly, tax Cyclone fans.
I agree with all of that. 1-new flood zone maps across the USA. 2-build more flood protection for interstate travel and cities. 3-tax carbon emissions

Reactions: Jimmy McGill
I see the analogy that you’re trying to make, but it’s not realistic to compare a neighbor’s “fire” to the global climate.

The better analogy is that the "neighbor's house" is part of your shared Zero Lot Line....

And here you are, making the absurd claim that you'd just look over to that other side and say "oh, that sucks for HIM!!!"

Really. I'd like a link to that assertion.

Look up "meandering jet stream" and how it relates to the warming of the arctic, if you really would like to learn about this. Probably quite a few articles out there you could learn from.

For anyone that's ever had to go thru moving personal possessions, furniture, appliances, etc ahead of anticipated flooding or after damage...it's really horrible.

Even worse in the cleanup...is sightseers and gawkers while you're throwing shit into a dumpster.

I have empathy for these people.

Last edited:

Reactions: Joes Place
Reactions: Joes Place

These folks simply refuse to understand, that the meandering jetstream means weather systems are more likely to "sit in place" for longer periods of time.

That means the "heat dome" system sits in place for a week, or more, while the unstable weather patterns (rain) also sit in place, somewhere else, causing unusually high rainfall amounts in the same timeframes.

And that meandering jetstream effect has been predicted and observed - it is due to the rapidly warming Arctic/Antarctic, which reduces the thermal gradients from the mid-latitudes to high-latitudes and that causes the jetstream to become more wobbly, and "block" in place for many more days at a time than it used to.

This is not just people "claiming" there will be more droughts (with higher temps) and more severe floods - they know the mechanisms behind those impacts.

These folks simply refuse to understand, that the meandering jetstream means weather systems are more likely to "sit in place" for longer periods of time.

That means the "heat dome" system sits in place for a week, or more, while the unstable weather patterns (rain) also sit in place, somewhere else, causing unusually high rainfall amounts in the same timeframes.

And that meandering jetstream effect has been predicted and observed - it is due to the rapidly warming Arctic/Antarctic, which reduces the thermal gradients from the mid-latitudes to high-latitudes and that causes the jetstream to become more wobbly, and "block" in place for many more days at a time than it used to.

This is not just people "claiming" there will be more droughts (with higher temps) and more severe floods - they know the mechanisms behind those impacts.
Wait, isn’t our problem flooding now? Or is just whatever suits the narrative at the moment?

“…higher temperatures also draw more moisture out of the soil and vegetation and into the atmosphere, thus tending to exacerbate droughts.”

• Haha
Reactions: RileyHawk
Was that the Cargill tracks? The one that they parked train cars on to stabilize it that effectively dammed the Cedar?

Yep. It was like the bat signal that Thursday...when that bridge went down, we knew the shit just got VERY real.

It was amazing to see the aftermath in real time (I worked downtown at the time...it collapsed while at work). We heard it had collapsed, so we went down to street level - water had already been creeping up the avenue all week.

We could see the water rising, just standing at the curb. There was a fist sized rock we set at the water's edge...in 10 minutes, it was under water.

Our building closed down and evacuated a half hour later (city ordered) - basically a "grab your PC and anything else you might need to conduct your work + personal effects" bugout MASH style.

One of the more surreal days of my entire life. The river went up something like 10+ feet in 48 hours after that bridge collapsed - it had been a steady climb until then...

Wait, isn’t our problem flooding now?

Yes; that's why I'd explained how jetstream meandering leads to heavier, longer periods of rainfall with the increased warming that is caused by human activities.

Heavier, longer periods of rainfall lead to flooding. And when you have prolonged drought BEFORE those heavy rainfalls, the parched soil cannot absorb them as quickly as they would during more normal periods, which is how you get the massive mudslides you see in CA.

This stuff has been explained to you, over and over, again.
You plainly seem pretty dumb that you're never able to process and understand it.

From the Executive Summary of Chapter 3 of IPCC’s 2012 Special Report on Extreme Events (SREX): “Many weather and climate extremes are the result of natural [i.e., not man-made] climate variability (including phenomena such as El Niño), and natural decadal or multi-decadal variations in the climate provide the backdrop for anthropogenic [human-caused] climate changes. Even if there were no anthropogenic change in climate, a wide variety of natural weather and climate extremes would still occur.”
  • From the World Meteorological Society: “… any single event, such as a severe tropical cyclone [hurricane or typhoon], cannot be attributed to human-induced climate change, given the current status of scientific understanding.”
  • From the 2014 National Climate Assessment’s Appendix 3: “There has been no significant trend in the global number of tropical cyclones nor has any trend been identified in the number of US land-falling hurricanes.”
  • “A landmark paper in 2019 co-authored by eleven tropical cyclone experts” found that “the majority of authors had only low confidence that any other observed tropical cyclone changes were beyond what could be attributed to natural variability.”
  • The “data and research literature are starkly at odds with this message” in the media that “torms are becoming more common and more intense, and rising greenhouse gas emissions are going to make it all a lot worse.”

. “pointing to hurricanes as an example of the ravages of human-caused climate change is at best unconvincing, and at worst plainly dishonest.

• Haha
Reactions: RileyHawk
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT