ADVERTISEMENT

In other union news: impending rail workers strike would cost the economy $2 billion per day....

It's the behind-the-scenes governance stuff that goes completely unappreciated.

No rallies
No Tweets

Just pushing to get results. You can disagree with policies, but THIS is what you expect in terms of actions out of your government and your elected officials.

So the pro-union administration strong-armed the workers into taking the deal.

When the SHTF, democrats abandon their principles.

• Haha
Reactions: RileyHawk
Hallelujah! This is great news. Congratulations to all who were in on those meetings to turn the tide. Now, do some intensive transportation hiring and get train schedules back where they need to be! Hire a lot more MOW as well! Let’s railroad. 👍🏻

So the pro-union administration strong-armed the workers into taking the deal.

When the SHTF, democrats abandon their principles.
The workers got better conditions. Did they get everything? No. But it’s better. That’s the way negotiations work. You get some you give some.

I understand, that as a conservative who supports republicans, the concept of compromise is foreign to you. Republicans believe that any compromise with democrats would result only in a primary challenge.

Joe Biden GIF

The workers got better conditions. Did they get everything? No. But it’s better. That’s the way negotiations work. You get some you give some.

I understand, that as a conservative who supports republicans, the concept of compromise is foreign to you. Republicans believe that any compromise with democrats would result only in a primary challenge.
Thad has no idea what the word, COMPROMISE means.

They accepted it because the government negotiators told them Congress was drafting legislation to force them to take the deal.
Ok I’m confused. If they hadn’t reached a deal, you would have been openly critical of how much of a government failure it was and also blamed the workers for being greedy. Now you’re upset that the workers didnt ask for more and just agreed because they had to?

Ok I’m confused. If they hadn’t reached a deal, you would have been openly critical of how much of a government failure it was and also blamed the workers for being greedy. Now you’re upset that the workers didnt ask for more and just agreed because they had to?

I'm not upset. A rail workers' strike would have been a complete disaster for the country. And the 24 percent increase in wages will keep upward pressure on inflation because the railroads are going to pass those costs on in higher shipping costs. They're not just going to eat it.

• Haha
Reactions: TheCainer
And the 24 percent increase in wages will keep upward pressure on inflation because the railroads are going to pass those costs on in higher shipping costs.

I'm fine with paying a little more, if someone I'm relying on is getting a "living wage".

We could reduce the taxes on the bottom 60% of taxpayers to offset added costs, and make corporations and the top 5% pay their fair share. And still have extra $$ left over.

I'm fine with paying a little more, if someone I'm relying on is getting a "living wage".

We could reduce the taxes on the bottom 60% of taxpayers to offset added costs, and make corporations and the top 5% pay their fair share. And still have extra $$ left over.

Go back and read the original story, Joe. They were already getting much more than a "living wage"....

• Haha
Reactions: RileyHawk
It's great to have a leader in the White House. Joe continues to lead the country getting legislation passed and improving the economy.

He's a uniter and looks out for all Americans.
Calm competence at the top means a lot.
Also, he has good people working for him. Marty Walsh and Pete Buttigieg did the heavy lifting.
As others have mentioned, this deal doesn't get done by tweeting at one side, or both sides, randomly. This deal doesn't get done with a bottom rung grifter like Trump employed in his cabinet.

Last edited:
Dude, why would you say that? You start a decent thread, then you come in with crap like that.

Unions are scum. Don't like the deal with your current job? Then quit and get another one. Don't collude with your coworkers to threaten to put your employer out of business if they don't give you whatever you want.

#ShouldBeIllegal

I heard 10 of the 12 majors have now agreed. Amtrack folks and one other are still holding out.

Spoke to my son, he says the contract does nothing to address the time issue. @WhiskeyDick, what are your thoughts on this.

He is currently "On call" most of the time. He feels abused because he can go home after a shift, sleep, get up thinking you may have to go to work, never get a call, until 30 minutes or left in your on call shift and he then has to go put in 12 hours, drive home 2 hours, and by that time, could legitimately be up for a continuous 24 hr period. How is that not a safety factor? He says his dispatch group burns crews like that too.
100% true and just the tip of the ole iceberg as they say.

Reactions: billanole
How the hell do you have a rough shift as a controller? Have an engineer run over a family in a mini van, or someone commit suicide by train or maybe a kid lose an arm or a leg playing chicken. Worse yet, a conductor gets crushed while switching or pushing/pulling cars.....that I can see. Telling an engineer what he needs to do?

I can see why you might drink.
Mike, with all due respect, I think you and I totally disconnected here.

I was actually in agreement with your post and just wanted to give another example of people behind the scenes who help keep the "trains running on time", even though mine were cargo/transport, airline, military, and even general aviation aircraft and not trains.

The people behind the scenes in that scenario often get shat upon because few people actually know of their existence and could care less. It's those people who are expected to often times give up their personal lives for the general good of others. It's those people who work all shifts of the day, that more often than not don't get to see their families on the holidays and birthdays, or even in my case, don't even get to see his son score the only TD of his career in a scoop-and-score play while playing the nose tackle position. I learned of it by a text message from my wife. I still regret that simple time of my life.

I totally agree with your position.

Peace.

Reactions: Mike Zierath
They accepted it because the government negotiators told them Congress was drafting legislation to force them to take the deal.
And if they did Trad…. Congress was! It’s a negotiating ploy and little more. You sound as though you wanted a transportation strike. I want folks to WORK! Work keeps idle minds busy and out of trouble.

And if they did Trad…. Congress was! It’s a negotiating ploy and little more. You sound as though you wanted a transportation strike. I want folks to WORK! Work keeps idle minds busy and out of trouble.
Secretly, maybe even not so secretly, the Radical Right wanted a strike for selfish, political reasons.

The WH didn't let it happen.

It's to the benefit of the majority of the nation that this agreement was reached.

People like Trad just swallow what conservative media shoves down their throat.

This is clearly a win/win for all involved.

Reactions: Joes Place
Mike, with all due respect, I think you and I totally disconnected here.

I was actually in agreement with your post and just wanted to give another example of people behind the scenes who help keep the "trains running on time", even though mine were cargo/transport, airline, military, and even general aviation aircraft and not trains.

The people behind the scenes in that scenario often get shat upon because few people actually know of their existence and could care less. It's those people who are expected to often times give up their personal lives for the general good of others. It's those people who work all shifts of the day, that more often than not don't get to see their families on the holidays and birthdays, or even in my case, don't even get to see his son score the only TD of his career in a scoop-and-score play while playing the nose tackle position. I learned of it by a text message from my wife. I still regret that simple time of my life.

I totally agree with your position.

Peace.
Yeah, I was one of those people for years.

Reactions: TheCainer
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT