ADVERTISEMENT

Iowa could have been scary.

What if Tyler Cook stays, Nunge and Bohannon were healthy, and Moss stays?

Goodness.

Beat on me all you want, but I honestly don't think we're at such a good level with Cook still here. Just a completely different dynamic that IMO wouldn't have the team fitting together the way it does (prior to CJF injury and last night's result).

If Moss being here meant CJF didn't get to play a lot this year, then I'm glad he left.

Goodness.
If ifs and buts were candy and nuts, we would all have a Merry Christmas. Who's to say if Cook stays, Garza has the type of year he is having. People really don't know what Ninge would have brought to the team. Bohannon is the only one people could say this is what we will get from him. Moss was an enigma while he was here.

If ifs and buts were candy and nuts, we would all have a Merry Christmas. Who's to say if Cook stays, Garza has the type of year he is having. People really don't know what Ninge would have brought to the team. Bohannon is the only one people could say this is what we will get from him. Moss was an enigma while he was here.
And Moss has been a bit of an enigma at Kansas as well. He is a frustratingly inconsistent player. You see the glimpses of greatness and then he disappears.

Last edited:
Reactions: Hawksfor3
Beat on me all you want, but I honestly don't think we're at such a good level with Cook still here. Just a completely different dynamic that IMO wouldn't have the team fitting together the way it does (prior to CJF injury and last night's result).
This team has the best, or potentially the best chemistry I've seen in years. Cook would not be a good fit in this lineup at all.

I never like to hate on players or be “thankful” they got hurt, but Nunge being out has not negatively impacted this team. If he could not produce double figures against our worst opponents, what would happen in the B1G season? He’s nowhere close to a starter & wouldn’t see playing time on pretty much every team but Nebraska & NW. I’d say his injury is what freed up other players to hit their potential.

Cook would really help Garza out. Teams couldn’t afford to triple team him and vice versa.
With a healthy Bohannon, CJF, and Weiscamp in the game, triple teaming Garza would be suicide. With Connor knocking down 3's, our offense is next level good.

I never like to hate on players or be “thankful” they got hurt, but Nunge being out has not negatively impacted this team. If he could not produce double figures against our worst opponents, what would happen in the B1G season? He’s nowhere close to a starter & wouldn’t see playing time on pretty much every team but Nebraska & NW. I’d say his injury is what freed up other players to hit their potential.
I've never disagreed with a post more. I've disagreed the same before, but never more. Mark my words, Nunge will be a beast for us and a critical piece of next year's championship team. He was well on his way before getting hurt.

I don't think we've seen enough of Jack's game to support a comment like this...

Last edited:
Reactions: DewHawk
Cook and Garza would have been a dynamic duo inside. Last year both had their ups and downs. Garza was never physically 100% coming off the surgery and then dealing with a bad ankle sprain. Cook dealt with thumb injury most of year and 2 lower leg injuries that hobbled him at times. I really look back to the Garza Fr. and Cook So. season together... and project from there. Garza, Cook, Weiskamp would be a strong rebounding frontcourt and rebounding right now is one of our weaknesses and something we've struggled with the 4 guard lineup.

Garza would not be POTY likely with Cook but he'd still be putting up strong numbers because his progression has more to do with the work he did in the off-season and finally being 100% healthy..... more than it has to do with playing alongside Cook.

If Moss being here meant CJF didn't get to play a lot this year, then I'm glad he left.
I think if Moss had stayed he would have mixed time at 2 and 3 and had similar minutes to last year, rotating with CJ and Weez. Now, of course, he may have been asked to come off the bench, but I’m guessing CJ would have been the 6th man. But then when Moss was making his decision Nunge and Bohannon were expected to play starters minutes, McCaffery maybe 15 minutes a game. And then these days, after four years, an opportunity at a change of scenery is understandably worth consideration.

Connor, CJ, Weez, Moss and Garza. Joe T, CJ, Weez, Moss and Garza.
Connor, CJ, Moss, Kriener and Garza.

CJ being a more well-rounded player would have made Moss’s role a better fit for him, given he’s best-suited to hang out in corners to space the floor, shoot it when open. And of course run the floor.

Oh well.

Also fun to think about Tyler thriving as a compliment to Garza, just crashing weak side glass, ducking in when Garza plays out on the floor, but would he accept being second fiddle?

And Moss has been a bit of an enigma at Kansas as well. He is a frustratingly inconsistent player. You see the glimpses of greatness and the he disappears.
He was huge for them against West Virginia a few nights ago. Decent numbers on the season, but like you said, so hard to know which Isaiah is going to show up from night to night.

This. People should stop grouping him in with the others. His loss likely helped if anything, forcing Fran to go small and not play two centers 40 min a game.

I've never disagreed with a post more. I've disagreed the same before, but never more. Mark my words, Nunge will be a beast for us and a critical piece of next year's championship team. He was well on his way before getting hurt.

Nunge and "beast" in the same sentence made me do a double take. Maybe if he puts on another 50 lbs!

He had 0 points against a DePaul team that’s 1-10 in the Big East. 2 points against SIUE. BEAST

Reactions: billshawks
If Tyler Cook was still here, I don't think we would be talking about how great Garza is. I think Cook's absence is what is allowing him to dominate. I really think that Cook was an addition by subtraction.

Definitely. Cook would have clogged the lane up for Garza.

If Cook could have stayed and been the #2 alpha dog on the team. Did the dirty work. We'd obviously be better getting him minutes instead of having to play Till and Pemsl. And take some of Krieners mins

Reactions: TC_Hawk
Those bums JW and LG had a combined 18 points vs depaul in 52 minutes of play!

Oh and the entire team lost to that 1-10 depaul team....lets kick them all to the curb!!

Agreed, you don't need stats to realize that Nunge simply doesn't have it. Just watch the games.

Goodness.

Ok goodness.....

Moss sucks so that point is null.
TC was/is a ball stopper that is exclusively low post. Garza would not have the year he is having with TC on the post. Nunge is at best a decent bench player..he hasn't played a game in 2 years rust is an understatement.
Jbo..ill give you that. Carry on

Show us some statistics, anything, that would lead you to believe Jack Nunge was "well on his way" to being a beast before his injury. Thanks.

Show us some statistics, anything, that would lead you to believe Jack Nunge was "well on his way" to being a beast before his injury. Thanks.
He was playing better in the last few games before his injury, and our head coach has shared his opinion that he is one of the best players on the team. I have been told by a current player that Nunge is an absolute stud. He'll figure it out and be a huge part of the team. I'm not at all offended if someone doesn't agree with that or prefers to wait and see.

He had 0 points against a DePaul team that’s 1-10 in the Big East. 2 points against SIUE. BEAST
Seems like many posters viewed DePaul as an NCAA team after they beat Iowa. They quickly found their appropriate level, just like Pitt did the year before. If Bohannan is healthy, we don’t see nearly as much of a CJ and Joe, especially Joe. Fran was forced to give Joe a longer leash which has allowed him to develop more. Nunge would have given us valuable inside depth, someone to play instead of Cordell. Both he and Garza on the court at the same time would really slow us down defensively.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT