ADVERTISEMENT

Iowa portal QB

speak it into existence!
Shark Tank Writing GIF

You can bring in Patrick Mahomes and nothing would change.
He’d be QB #4
The O line would be insufficient
The offensive scheme would still be stale
Doesn’t matter who transfers in, they’d sit the bench!!!!!!

(Iowa’s top two on the depth chart…transferred in)

Reactions: madmustang4
Does anyone have a list of portal QBs to share. Most of the good ones joined new schools during the first portal opening back in December. The staff botched this big time. They need to find someone that can compete for the starting job. I don’t know if there’s many qbs on the market right now to make this happen….

• Love
Reactions: Rambler Hawk
Well it took Kirk like 4 months to interview 2 people so no QB would have taken a chance to transfer in without knowing who’s gonna run the offense. It’s possible no one would want to come in anyway.

Kirk does not play the backup. Does someone really want to come in and sit for a year ?

Reactions: nosok23
Does anyone have a list of portal QBs to share. Most of the good ones joined new schools during the first portal opening back in December. The staff botched this big time. They need to find someone that can compete for the starting job. I don’t know if there’s many qbs on the market right now to make this happen….
This website is updated daily. The most useful information (most of the currently available QB's) is at the bottom if you scroll down.

Edit: Breakdown of best available guys according to this site:

Jaden Rashada (AZ St) (By far #1)
Jacurri Brown (Miami FL)
Jacolby Criswell (Arkansas)
Nick Evers (WI)
Cooper Legas (UT St) (if we want the guy who couldn't beat out Petras LOL)
Ari Patu (Stanford)
Colin Schlee (UCLA)

Well it took Kirk like 4 months to interview 2 people so no QB would have taken a chance to transfer in without knowing who’s gonna run the offense.
This cannot be understated, and it was pretty obvious that we were going to need a portal QB and that we would be stuck with the leftovers the way things were going. Huge example of KF just not getting this whole portal thing....

Last edited:
...it was pretty obvious that we were going to need a portal QB and that we would be stuck with the leftovers the way things were going. Huge example of KF just not getting this whole portal thing....

Kirk moves at his his own speed,.. he don't care about no stinking portal thing...

Reactions: MeetTheFerentzes
This website is updated daily. The most useful information (most of the currently available QB's) is at the bottom if you scroll down.

Jacurri Brown (Miami FL)
Nick Evers (WI)
Ari Patu (Stanford)
Colin Schlee (UCLA)

This cannot be understated, and it was pretty obvious that we were going to need a portal QB and that we would be stuck with the leftovers the way things were going. Huge example of KF just not getting this whole portal thing....
Exactly.

Jaden Rashada (AZ St) (By far #1) no chance in hell.
Jacurri Brown (Miami FL) I wish, but no chance.
Jacolby Criswell (Arkansas) not happening!
Nick Evers (WI) maybe?
Cooper Legas (UT St) (if we want the guy who couldn't beat out Petras LOL) no thanks!
Ari Patu (Stanford) not gonna happen!
Colin Schlee (UCLA) leading candidate!

Reactions: BirdistheWord
Well it took Kirk like 4 months to interview 2 people
C'mon, man. He was too busy working relentlessly to "prepare" Iowa for their 35-0 bowl game beatdown. It wasn't easy to "lead" the Hawkeyes to their worst bowl game defeat ever. No time to consider and prep for the future when you have history to make in the present. When do you think the next major college football team will suffer 3 shutouts by a total score of 92-0? Have some respect.

Reactions: N8dogg99
You all do realize that everything is in the hands of the health of Cade right? Do you really expect to get a QB out of the portal that moves the needle at all when they know they would be behind Cade as long as he is healthy? Even Sullivan, is he really a better option than ML? Love it or hate it, KF shoved all of his chips in the middle of the table when he got Cade. Nobody is going to know either what that looks like until right around the first game.

Jacurri Brown (Miami FL)
Nick Evers (WI)
Ari Patu (Stanford)
Colin Schlee (UCLA)

Add Sullivan from jNW who opted for the portal today. Coincidence?

Any QB that can watch tape sees Cade gimping along on two glass knees and knows he will probably get a shot this year, and most certainly next year, to be QB1. I'd love to see a healthy and productive Cade for a lot of reasons - but the poor guy has had 2 non-contact season ending injuries and wont be fully recovered in time to run for his life behind our O Line. I worry the guy may never walk right again if he gets a third.

Reactions: MilleGinja
You all do realize that everything is in the hands of the health of Cade right? Do you really expect to get a QB out of the portal that moves the needle at all when they know they would be behind Cade as long as he is healthy? Even Sullivan, is he really a better option than ML? Love it or hate it, KF shoved all of his chips in the middle of the table when he got Cade. Nobody is going to know either what that looks like until right around the first game.
I don't think anyone is expecting a splash QB acquisition, but I think Iowa has quite a bit to offer a P-4 level QB who may be stuck behind someone on his team's depth chart, especially someone who already has some FBS game experience. Although Iowa fans are hopeful, I think most would honestly be surprised to see CM make it through the '24 season unscathed. Heck, there are some that think he may never play again. The chance of Iowa's QB2 getting significant playing time this fall is pretty high.

Whomever Iowa brings in will be one awkward CM step from having a chance to be QB1 on a pretty darn good team for the rest of the season and beyond. He'll be competing against a guy with 1 quarter of garbage time game experience, a true freshman and a walk-on for that opportunity. Sounds like a better situation than most QB's in the portal are coming from.

Reactions: nosok23 and hawkod
So, is Lainez yet another bust in the long series of misses at QB? Even given the glacial progression process of Iowa qbs he should be ready to go.
Having at least a serviceable mac level backup to CM is a must. As so many others have noted, he's so hobbled at this point that it's hard to see him making it through a game let alone a season.

So with 6 days remaining until the portal closes again, I was hoping we would at least hear about a QB coming for a visit.

So let me get this straight. #1 KF sucks at evaluating QB;s. #2 KF missed the boat or failed by not bringing in a QB, before hiring a new OC (who may or may not have a new system and an idea on who he wanted as a QB for said system)? #3 Penix had 2 acl's Tom Brady had an acl and mcl, So did Gronk. So did Adrian Peterson, Bridgewater had a dislocated knee and torn acl. The list goes on and on, but somehow Cade has glass knees and will not make it throught the season? (I do agree we need a serviceable back up, but that is nothing new and it should always be that way!!)

So, is Lainez yet another bust in the long series of misses at QB? Even given the glacial progression process of Iowa qbs he should be ready to go.
Having at least a serviceable mac level backup to CM is a must. As so many others have noted, he's so hobbled at this point that it's hard to see him making it through a game let alone a season.
Wherever this lands, it can't get worse. The past three years of Petras and Hill at QB has been the worst stretch of QB play at Iowa I've seen in 45+ years. And it's not close. I thought Matt Sherman was bad...

So let me get this straight. #1 KF sucks at evaluating QB;s. #2 KF missed the boat or failed by not bringing in a QB, before hiring a new OC (who may or may not have a new system and an idea on who he wanted as a QB for said system)? #3 Penix had 2 acl's Tom Brady had an acl and mcl, So did Gronk. So did Adrian Peterson, Bridgewater had a dislocated knee and torn acl. The list goes on and on, but somehow Cade has glass knees and will not make it throught the season? (I do agree we need a serviceable back up, but that is nothing new and it should always be that way!!)
Some fans want Cade to get hurt again so they can say "See, I was right." No? well it sure sounds like it.

• Haha
Reactions: DewHawk
Should induce Mark Gronowski from South Dakota State into the portal and pick him up.

#1 Absolutely
#2 No, KF missed the boat by farting around the entire month of December instead of bringing in his new OC at that time while every other team was pulling the top QB's from the portal.
#3 Comparing CM to some of the greatest athletes to play the game is kinda funny.

So with 6 days remaining until the portal closes again, I was hoping we would at least hear about a QB coming for a visit.
One more time - Athletes entering the portal ends in 6 days. Once in the portal they can take their sweet-ass time in finding their new dream destination. Capiche!

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT