ADVERTISEMENT

Iowa recruiting thread.

As of today recruiting needs to improve. As of today portal recruiting needs to improve. Both can happen as soon as today. If I miss read where Bob said Iowa is doing good recruiting today I apologize. I'm not referring to any time in history where Bob said Iowa needs to improve it's recruiting. Iowa didn't win the title in 2023. Iowa doesn't have the #1 recruiting class for the class of 2024, or 2025 yet. Iowa needs to improve their recruiting to surpass PSU. It's that simple. Not easy, but that simple.
Nobody has said recruiting doesn't need to improve. NIL is a new thing so results don't just happen over night. NIL for transfers and top recruits are the biggest thing to help offset the fact that the state of Iowa doesn't produce near enough talent right now.

No. You just posted the most idiotic thing on this board. Donating money makes one a wrestling guru? Edit: Thanks for your support though, Bob.

Who the heck said this?

Can you give me a good reason that TNT should be taking wrestling advice from Bob? Financial advice .. okay.

Better question for herkcy, as he’s the one making the claim (and you’ve made multiple posts defending).

Old Spoons, same old dog, same old tricks. Only because my wife has taught me how to handle the female mind am I going to not engage entirely and outside of this one response because I don't want to deal with the rabbit hole of non senssical my opinion is fact responses from you. Look at the only two responses to your post already within hours of my post. Anyway, you are delusional if you don't think money equals power. Deservingly so as well. Bob has it. Bob has given it. I love Bob for it. Bob has made more change in the Iowa program than I'll probably ever dream of. With all of that said Bob has the staff's ear and his opinions, thoughts, concerns carry weight. If you don't see that everything that you named called me in your elementary style of a message board name calling applies to you, sir.

Bob is one of the major reasons why we have such high expectations, you absolute dolt. Regardless, the Iowa coaches aren’t setting recruiting strategy based on Bob. Lol

Who the heck said this?

Better question for herkcy, as he’s the one making the claim (and you’ve made multiple posts defending).

Bob is one of the major reasons why we have such high expectations, you absolute dolt. Regardless, the Iowa coaches aren’t setting recruiting strategy based on Bob. Lol
Never change.

If you’ve ever had a clever thought, it died lonely.
blow-bj.gif

Bob, I absolutely love what you've done and I imagine continue to do for the program. With that said I honestly think that part of the problem is when large donors like you don't think there is a problem that needs to be worked on. To me it is as simple as looking at previous recruiting classes (five year cycle), recent football recruiting weekends and performance over the long term to see that improvement with recruiting simply needs & has to be made. I'm not going to dissect the numbers, but PSU's & tOSU's recent recruiting classes shows where we need to get to. Anyone that thinks we are there right now is simply wrong.
I've posted before that the playing field is now level. It was not up to this point. So looking into the past to predict future results does us no good. However, looking at the past changed the way "things" were done and changes have been made.

I do get a glimpse of this and that in re what happens in the program, like others here. I'll say that I am very impressed. In my business, we focus on Ops obsessively, and Iowa does the same.

I've predicted, based on past transfer history, that we'll get two guys to fill weights that need upgrading. I believe that'll happen and lift us to competing on even terms with anyone to win a title next year. Plugging in some of the available guys to these weights then puts focus on what weights to recruit for in the next several years. You can't effectively do the latter until the former is complete.

Some have said we can't rely on the portal to build a team. Agree, but it's all we have from now till school starts. Thereafter, I am sure the staff will be all over HS guys who can upgrade weights we need help with.

Let's let the staff stir and cook the soup, then taste it come August when the team is defined. And remember, this is the first year the playing field is level. That said: we were still best in 2020, won in 2021, got decimated by injuries in 2022, and were re-loading last year.

I've posted before that the playing field is now level. It was not up to this point. So looking into the past to predict future results does us no good. However, looking at the past changed the way "things" were done and changes have been made.

I do get a glimpse of this and that in re what happens in the program, like others here. I'll say that I am very impressed. In my business, we focus on Ops obsessively, and Iowa does the same.

I've predicted, based on past transfer history, that we'll get two guys to fill weights that need upgrading. I believe that'll happen and lift us to competing on even terms with anyone to win a title next year. Plugging in some of the available guys to these weights then puts focus on what weights to recruit for in the next several years. You can't effectively do the latter until the former is complete.

Some have said we can't rely on the portal to build a team. Agree, but it's all we have from now till school starts. Thereafter, I am sure the staff will be all over HS guys who can upgrade weights we need help with.

Let's let the staff stir and cook the soup, then taste it come August when the team is defined. And remember, this is the first year the playing field is level. That said: we were still best in 2020, won in 2021, got decimated by injuries in 2022, and were re-loading last year.
Great insights, Bob. Appreciate you, man!👊🏻

Can you give me a good reason that TNT should be taking wrestling advice from Bob? Financial advice .. okay.
Ha Ha, you're right

I couldn't give wrestling advice. I don't know squat about how to train, techniques or anything of the like. I prefer to watch matches on TV because the view is better and commentary that describes what is happening, so I can learn more.

I stay strictly and completely in my lane.

Who the heck said this?

Anyone that paid any attention to the Kevin Jackson era at Iowa State knows what change an engaged key donor base can demand. Not at all saying that is what is needed at Iowa by any means. It just seems that I need to go to the extreme for you to understand my point. Iowa had a big prospect weekend this weekend. Why weren't those studs on campus for last year's football recruiting weekend? Now I know some technically can't be due to compliance, but some of them certainly could have been. That is my point. Iowa seems to react with recruiting instead of being proactive. Large key donors saying this instead of saying TnT work their a$$ off, etc. is where I think key donors can make the needle move. Iowa needs a recruiting coordinator to be on top of this year around year to year. M* is the best assistant coach recruiter in the game, but he can't be engaged 24/7 365 with recruiting as a coordinator could be. AOC proves that. Top recruiting classes every four to five years when money is available isn't going to surpass PSU and it isn't what they are doing. It seems Iowa was recruiting Jesuroga and no one else at 125/133, so when he backed out that put Iowa in a pinch. Look at how many studs PSU has at 125 now in their barn. Do you think they only recruited one guy for 125/133 when they needed one? I think the fact that we are relying on the portal shows recruiting simply needs to improve as well. Who would you say is more engaged in recruiting as a head coach, Cael, or Tom? Honest question to ask yourself.

Last edited:
Anyone that paid any attention to the Kevin Jackson era at Iowa State knows what change an engaged key donor base can demand. Not at all saying that is what is needed at Iowa by any means. It just seems that I need to go to the extreme for you to understand my point. Iowa had a big prospect weekend this weekend. Why weren't those studs on campus for last year's football recruiting weekend? Now I know some technically can't be due to compliance, but some of them certainly could have been. That is my point. Iowa seems to react with recruiting instead of being proactive. Large key donors saying this instead of saying TnT work their a$$ off, etc. is where I think key donors can make the needle move. Iowa needs a recruiting coordinator to be on top of this year around year to year. M* is the best assistant coach recruiter in the game, but he can't be engaged 24/7 365 with recruiting as a coordinator could be. AOC proves that. Top recruiting classes every four to five years when money is available isn't going to surpass PSU and it isn't what they are doing. It seems Iowa was recruiting Jesuroga and no one else at 125/133, so when he backed out that put Iowa in a pinch. Look at how many studs PSU has at 125 now in their barn. Do you think they only recruited one guy for 125/133 when they needed one? I think the fact that we are relying on the portal shows recruiting simply needs to improve as well.

Major donors telling a head coach how to run a program. There’s a recipe for success if I’ve ever heard one.

Your beef is with Tom Brands. He’s fair game. Your shot at Bob was misguided and pathetic.

Major donors telling a head coach how to run a program. There’s a recipe for success if I’ve ever heard one.

Your beef is with Tom Brands. He’s fair game. Your shot at Bob was misguided and pathetic.
Spoons, you are trying to make this out to be me taking pot shots at Bob. I complimented Bob numerous times and will continue to do so. You are trying to make this out to be something it simply is not. You have an alterior motive here it seems.

As for a "beef" with Tom I've said numerous times here I believe he is one of the top two to three head coaches in all of wrestling. I do however think just like everyone else in all walks of life the staff can make improvements. I also think 99% of people shy away of pointing out any of those and childishly poke fun of the people that do.

I think Bob has a platform that I and 99.9% of the people here don't have and as a stauch Iowa wrestling fan I'm just trying to point out the things that I think can help Iowa wrestling to someone that can carry those along.

Last edited:
Love this stuff.

2024 Class
#1 Angelo Ferrari / #6 by Matscouts - Perhaps the #1 P4P prospect. Athleticism thru the roof. Just wish we saw more of him. Really only WNO + Ironman in the last 18 months.
#16 Cody Merrill / #3 by Matscouts - Will be #6 when JR Big Board comes out (Monday). as corby mentioned he's up to HWT. such an odd year. Made CD World Team, then FF'd FS Trials. Went to Fargo like 2 days before leaving for Cadet Worlds and destroyed everyone. in JR's. in FS. including Rylan Rogers in finals. Then made literally one appearance (at 220) during his hs season (didn't wrestle state tourney but brother did (and finished runner up in a one class state as a FR at 195). Cody is a beast. word has been Stanford but who knows?
#56 Dru Ayala / #110 by Matscouts - coming along nicely

2025 Class
#1 PJ Duke / #1 by Matscouts
he'd be a game changer. imo the type of splash iowa needs. most people believe it's Cornell, PSU, and NCST in some order.
#2 Anthony Knox / #3 by Matscouts - would fit well stylistically imo. and he's a career 125 i think. his dad just emailed me asking to talk about his decision. i obviously won't share those conversations here, but i'll learn something. frankly there's been zero chatter about his school list.
#34 Isaiah Cortez / #26 by Matscouts
#38 Elijah Cortez / #50 by Matscouts - both guys will rise a bunch when Soph BB gets updated. Their name came up in a previous thread and i said they'd be PERFECT in Iowa. I met their father and watched them work out last summer at Cormier's in Cali. to me, it's a great fit.
#59 Daniel Zepeda / #17 by Matscouts - really came on in the last 8 months. In JR High he was an absolute whiz. now it seems it's all coming together. frankly i have know idea what kinda program he's looking for.

2026 Class (Just spitballing some names here - obviously still a ways out and needs/wants will change based on who we get in the 2024 and 2025 classes)
Bo Bassett #2 Matscouts - duh. it will certainly come down to the power programs, Iowa included.
Dreshaun Ross #3 Matscouts - duh.
Cassioppi twins Rocco and Bruno - as someone correctly pointed out, they are in 8th, along with Youngblut, who just beat a ranked HSer.
Jaxon Miller #48 Matscouts
Nolan Fellers #47 Matscouts - if i was Nolan, i'd make his old man pony up some NIL money to be a hawk.
+ Jake Knight in this class. He's already ranked at his weight nationally. And i think he'll be a legit DI prospect.

Frankly, I don't like much of what's left of the uncommitted in 2024. There's Angelo and then Dillan Johnson and Max Shulaw at HWT - both of whom are on the fence re: football. I'd love to see Iowa land either. (I'm SUPER high on Shulaw, who won Ironman at 215).

This is where Iowa needs to make hay. There is SOOO much talent. And where they gonna go? Seriously no room at the inn at PSU, MICH (except at 174 and HWT), and tOSU and with the uncertainty of John W. at OKST, i think they'll have a harder time landing out of staters.

You listed good ones but there's so much more. The options for Iowa in this graduating class are almost limitless. If i were you guys i'd really be looking forward to the Big Board getting updated b/c you're going to target (and land) a bunch of them. I'd go thru them here, but it'd be pointless b/c iowa should really have their pick of anyone from this grade that they hone in on.
Willie, what’s the story with Ladarion Lockett? I see he trains in Okie State at times and has worn plenty of their gear. Has he verbally committed there?

Reactions: herkcy
Spoons, you are trying to make this out to be me taking pot shots at Bob. I complimented Bob numerous times and will continue to do so. You are trying to make this out to be something it simply is not. You have an alterior motive here it seems.

As for a "beef" with Tom I've said numerous times here I believe he is one of the top two to three head coaches in all of wrestling. I do however think just like everyone else in all walks of life the staff can make improvements. I also think 99% of people shy away of pointing out of any those and childishly poke fun of the people that do.

I think Bob has a platform that I and 99.9% of the people here don't have and as a stauch Iowa wrestling fan I'm just trying to point out the things that I think can help Iowa wrestling to someone that can carry those along.
Trust me, if your DumbA$$ sees something, then Tom and Terry have already been working on improving it for months, if not years.

Every time you post you prove just how disconnected you are from the reality of what goes on in the program.

Trust me, if your DumbA$$ sees something, then Tom and Terry have already been working on improving it for months, if not years.

Every time you post you prove just how disconnected you are from the reality of what goes on in the program.
2010 to 2021 + 2021 to 2023+ shows that isn't the case. Blind trust is part of the problem. To think someone is above different view points is clueless. Anyone can help everyone no matter the postion of either. Continue the name calling as that helps tremendously.

Last edited:
Love this stuff.

2024 Class
#1 Angelo Ferrari / #6 by Matscouts - Perhaps the #1 P4P prospect. Athleticism thru the roof. Just wish we saw more of him. Really only WNO + Ironman in the last 18 months.
#16 Cody Merrill / #3 by Matscouts - Will be #6 when JR Big Board comes out (Monday). as corby mentioned he's up to HWT. such an odd year. Made CD World Team, then FF'd FS Trials. Went to Fargo like 2 days before leaving for Cadet Worlds and destroyed everyone. in JR's. in FS. including Rylan Rogers in finals. Then made literally one appearance (at 220) during his hs season (didn't wrestle state tourney but brother did (and finished runner up in a one class state as a FR at 195). Cody is a beast. word has been Stanford but who knows?
#56 Dru Ayala / #110 by Matscouts - coming along nicely

2025 Class
#1 PJ Duke / #1 by Matscouts
he'd be a game changer. imo the type of splash iowa needs. most people believe it's Cornell, PSU, and NCST in some order.
#2 Anthony Knox / #3 by Matscouts - would fit well stylistically imo. and he's a career 125 i think. his dad just emailed me asking to talk about his decision. i obviously won't share those conversations here, but i'll learn something. frankly there's been zero chatter about his school list.
#34 Isaiah Cortez / #26 by Matscouts
#38 Elijah Cortez / #50 by Matscouts - both guys will rise a bunch when Soph BB gets updated. Their name came up in a previous thread and i said they'd be PERFECT in Iowa. I met their father and watched them work out last summer at Cormier's in Cali. to me, it's a great fit.
#59 Daniel Zepeda / #17 by Matscouts - really came on in the last 8 months. In JR High he was an absolute whiz. now it seems it's all coming together. frankly i have know idea what kinda program he's looking for.

2026 Class (Just spitballing some names here - obviously still a ways out and needs/wants will change based on who we get in the 2024 and 2025 classes)
Bo Bassett #2 Matscouts - duh. it will certainly come down to the power programs, Iowa included.
Dreshaun Ross #3 Matscouts - duh.
Cassioppi twins Rocco and Bruno - as someone correctly pointed out, they are in 8th, along with Youngblut, who just beat a ranked HSer.
Jaxon Miller #48 Matscouts
Nolan Fellers #47 Matscouts - if i was Nolan, i'd make his old man pony up some NIL money to be a hawk.
+ Jake Knight in this class. He's already ranked at his weight nationally. And i think he'll be a legit DI prospect.

Frankly, I don't like much of what's left of the uncommitted in 2024. There's Angelo and then Dillan Johnson and Max Shulaw at HWT - both of whom are on the fence re: football. I'd love to see Iowa land either. (I'm SUPER high on Shulaw, who won Ironman at 215).

This is where Iowa needs to make hay. There is SOOO much talent. And where they gonna go? Seriously no room at the inn at PSU, MICH (except at 174 and HWT), and tOSU and with the uncertainty of John W. at OKST, i think they'll have a harder time landing out of staters.

You listed good ones but there's so much more. The options for Iowa in this graduating class are almost limitless. If i were you guys i'd really be looking forward to the Big Board getting updated b/c you're going to target (and land) a bunch of them. I'd go thru them here, but it'd be pointless b/c iowa should really have their pick of anyone from this grade that they hone in on.
Appreciate the breakdown Willie.

Bob not only has been successful financially, but he is so in significant part because he built a world class organization. In other words, he knows a thing or two about leadership, organizational management, goal setting and execution, financial prioritizing, etc...All of that can be beneficial to TNT and how they develop, grow and manage the program. Last week, Tom told me that Bob told him that Tom can push donors more. So Tom asked me to give 2x what I gave last year. Good advice from Bob!

Maybe part of the problem are the anonymous people who give very little thinking they know more about what's going on than those close to the program. Bob has repeatedly said we must recruit better, and he has laid out explanations on how that is happening moving forward. In the meantime, the portal is the best temporary fix..And sometimes the portal is a better guarantee than a high school recruit with zero college results.
Believe Bob also said something else sensible, which is let’s wait until after we see what we get from the portal this year, so we will know what true recruiting needs are going to be in the next few high school classes.

As for a "beef" with Tom I've said numerous times here I believe he is one of the top two to three head coaches in all of wrestling. I do however think just like everyone else in all walks of life the staff can make improvements. I also think 99% of people shy away of pointing out any of those and childishly poke fun of the people that do.

This is a far cry from saying he’s a problem. Bob is a resource. He’s not a strategist. That’s why he said he will be staying in his lane, as he said.

Again, it’s because of what him and others do that gives you/us reason to have such high expectations. A problem, he is not. That was buffoonery at it’s finest.

Iowa had a big prospect weekend this weekend. Why weren't those studs on campus for last year's football recruiting weekend? Now I know some technically can't be due to compliance, but some of them certainly could have been.

Iowa had a lot of recruits in last fall during football games, too. They always do. With the number of wrestlers they have training for the open right now it is another opportunity to show off the program. No reason to limit things to football weekends.

For the record, I’m not saying that recruiting is great and nothing needs to change. We are far more in agreement than disagreement on that.

"This is a far cry from saying he’s a problem. Bob is a resource. He’s not a strategist. That’s why he said he will be staying in his lane, as he said.

Again, it’s because of what him and others do that gives you/us reason to have such high expectations. A problem, he is not. That was buffoonery at it’s finest."

Quit. Simply quit. You are trying to use the most influential poster here to "out" me and pile on for some odd reason. Again, stop. I thought you were above and smarter than that. It seems you are trying to "win" some argument and you are taking the sensationalistic approach to use Bob as your catapult. That is obvious by ignoring my responses as they relate to Bob and the overall points I am trying to make.

Last edited:
Reactions: foxb

Can you elaborate on what has happened to level the playing field? Apologies if I missed it in another thread.

"The playing field" is a well-known/used term, but can you please explain what aspects of "the playing field" you feel were one-sided, and have now been leveled? Thanks.

Edit: Sorry Ronald, didn't mean to repeat your post -- you posted as I was composing - great minds think alike. ;)

Reactions: RonaldMexico
"This is a far cry from saying he’s a problem. Bob is a resource. He’s not a strategist. That’s why he said he will be staying in his lane, as he said.

Again, it’s because of what him and others do that gives you/us reason to have such high expectations. A problem, he is not. That was buffoonery at it’s finest."

Quit. Simply quit. You are trying to use the most influential poster here to "out" me and pile on for some odd reason. Again, stop. I thought you were above and smarter than that. It seems you are trying to "win" some argument and you are taking the sensationalistic approach to use Bob as your catapult. That is obvious by ignoring my responses as they relate to Bob and the overall points I am trying to make.
Your first mistake was thinking Spooner was going to be courteous to your opinion. He gets some things right sometimes but mostly he is an instigater and message board bully and no one is allowed to have an opinion unless it aligns with his... I don't post here as much as I used to partly because of him. It is exhausting to post an opinion or a thought and constantly be attacked for it and I have reported so many of his posts over the years it's amazing he is still here.. He will fight with you for a week so he can get the last word in or prove he is right just to make you look bad...

Last edited:
Ha Ha, you're right

I couldn't give wrestling advice. I don't know squat about how to train, techniques or anything of the like. I prefer to watch matches on TV because the view is better and commentary that describes what is happening, so I can learn more.

I stay strictly and completely in my lane.
I like watching on TV as well. But I’d rather listen to G&I if broadcasts are synced.

That said….. Ain’t nothing like being in CHA for a duel when the roof is coming down….

"The playing field" is a well-known/used term, but can you please explain what aspects of "the playing field" you feel were one-sided, and have now been leveled? Thanks.

Edit: Sorry Ronald, didn't mean to repeat your post -- you posted as I was composing - great minds think alike. ;)
Facilities of which ours will b ready soon enough to b considered equal

And, the legal funding of athletes.

Can you please stop!!? I've liked more Spooner posts in this thread than I have in my entire life and now I feel so dirty I need to shower and quarantine.

I think Bob is a strategist. You build a business on goals and what the strategy is to meet and exceed those goals. The strategies have to have a process. Bob knows a thing or two about process.
TNT pick who should be recruited and what the needs of the program are. I can see a tremendous amount of value Bob will bring, in the area of refining certain processes of the program.
PSU has IRA. We have Bob. Beyond a doubt this helps Hawkeye Wrestling immensely and helps level the playing field.
Should I be incorrect in my statements Bob, my apologies in advance.

Willie, what’s the story with Ladarion Lockett? I see he trains in Okie State at times and has worn plenty of their gear. Has he verbally committed there?
He is from Stillwater and has been around the Okie State program all his life. I sat next to his folks at a tournament and asked if he was going to be a cowboy. They said he’s not committed anywhere and they are not going to push him to go to OkSt. They want him to have a “college experience” and make his own decisions. Also, him and Angelo Ferrari are pretty tight. I think he should be on our radar. He’s really, really good and super slick.

He is from Stillwater and has been around the Okie State program all his life. I sat next to his folks at a tournament and asked if he was going to be a cowboy. They said he’s not committed anywhere and they are not going to push him to go to OkSt. They want him to have a “college experience” and make his own decisions. Also, him and Angelo Ferrari are pretty tight. I think he should be on our radar. He’s really, really good and super slick.
Willie has him committed to OSU on his big board?

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT