ADVERTISEMENT

*****Iowa vs Mich St Game Thread*****

Many things went wrong for Hawks tonight, bad 3 and free throw shooting, Murray disappearing. Yet they only lost by 2 in an away game against a perennial Big Ten powerhouse. That gives me some optimism going forward.

Did he look injured on that last 3.
They showed it in slow motion. His toe got caught pointed downwards, and he rolled over the ankle, and they took him behind the bench. Probably taped the crap out of his ankle. Kudos to him for coming back to the game. Tomorrow he'll probably be hurting.

Don't call a TO until 8 seconds. Can't wait to see this shot.
This is the 2nd game that Franny doesn't want to call a timeout towards the end of a close game because he can't coach in those situations...... instead Conner steps up and calls a TO because he knows the situation. Turribul.

Many things went wrong for Hawks tonight, bad 3 and free throw shooting, Murray disappearing. Yet they only lost by 2 in an away game against a perennial Big Ten powerhouse. That gives me some optimism going forward.
Among the things that went wrong for IOWA was Frans was end half coaching playing 4 guys all 20 minutes

And scored 2 points the last 5 minutes…

Damn, yet another Fran game coaching blunder in losing close game

Really sucks for Sandfort but he is so streaky as a shooter. He is just a 2nd year player, but in many games he seems to struggle as much on defense as his shot falling. Tonight his shot had no arc and follow thru - looked like he was shooting darts. Has to be in his head for sure. He's rushing his shot too much.

agreed a physical defense will neutralize KM until he proves otherwise
In the 6 previous Big Ten games Kris averaged 24.5 points with 17 being his lowest total and two games over 30. Are you really saying none of those teams play physical defense? He's gonna be Fran's second first rounder at Iowa, he just had a bad night and with his inconsistent supporting cast outside of Filip it's surprising he doesn't have more of them being the focal point of the other team's defensive game plan every night

Reactions: littlez
All I know is every one of my predictions for the game were accurate. Go Hawks!

I predict a ton of bitching and whining about Izzo and the officiating in this thread.
And to a point, likely deserved. It is at MSU and Izzo will be his normal self.

Reminding you that BIG refs will be involved lends itself to the possibility of bogus calls. I’ve seen it happen for 5 decades so there is evidence that it does takes place.

I wasn’t able to watch it, but have it recorded so I’ll ingest it later on and see for myself.

And to a point, likely deserved. It is at MSU and Izzo will be his normal self.

Reminding you that BIG refs will be involved lends itself to the possibility of bogus calls. I’ve seen it happen for 5 decades so there is evidence that it does takes place.

I wasn’t able to watch it, but have it recorded so I’ll ingest it later on and see for myself.

I thought Izzo was pretty calm last night. Almost like he wasn't feeling well. And this solidifies my hints at a B1G Conspiracy Theory being brought up. There is no evidence out there confirming what you are saying. It might be your opinion, which is fine, and you have every right to your opinion. I just have a different opinion. If you do have evidence I would be interested in seeing that information and would be willing to admit that I was wrong,,,,which I have been, probably daily, throughout my life.

I thought Izzo was pretty calm last night. Almost like he wasn't feeling well. And this solidifies my hints at a B1G Conspiracy Theory being brought up. There is no evidence out there confirming what you are saying. It might be your opinion, which is fine, and you have every right to your opinion. I just have a different opinion. If you do have evidence I would be interested in seeing that information and would be willing to admit that I was wrong,,,,which I have been, probably daily, throughout my life.
My opinion only and you can disagree with it if you like. I see what I see when I watch any BIG game. Not just Iowa. Whether it’s a conspiracy or not the quality and consistency of the BIG refs over the years have been suspect.

My opinion only and you can disagree with it if you like. I see what I see when I watch any BIG game. Not just Iowa. Whether it’s a conspiracy or not the quality and consistency of the BIG refs over the years have been suspect.

I’m not arguing about quality. Just stating there is no conspiracy against Iowa. If you try I bet you can see suspect calls going against whom ever Iowa is playing as well. It happens. No one can call a perfect game. Just like no one can play a perfect game, or coach one for that matter

And as I said in the first post I had not been able to watch last nights game. So whether Izzo wasn’t his normal self getting into the stripes grill early on I’d be surprised. I see calls in most any BIG games between whoever. That clear enough for you? You are the one zeroing in on Iowa only games.

You aren’t Courtney are you?

• Haha
And as I said in the first post I had not been able to watch last nights game. So whether Izzo wasn’t his normal self getting into the stripes grill early on I’d be surprised. I see calls in most any BIG games between whoever. That clear enough for you? You are the one zeroing in on Iowa only games.

You aren’t Courtney are you?

Maybe I am Courtney, maybe I'm not. Is that an issue for you?

Why does Izzo's behavior have any relevance? I agree there are questionable calls that go against every team, but there are a number of posters on here who have stated that the calls always seem to go against the Hawks, and that there is some mysterious presence that wants to hold Iowa down. Personally, I don't believe that.

You don't think Fran 'gets into the stripes grill'? If it is ok for Fran why is it not ok for other coaches, Izzo in this case, to do the same?

I guess I was talking mainly about Iowa because this is an Iowa board, and the fans here, like fans on many message boards always seem to think the officials call the game to favor the other team. Maybe I should have clarified your original statement of the officials making 'bogus calls', which I interpreted to mean against the Hawkeyes. Was that your intent, or did you just mean they were making them in favor of MSU?

Last edited:
Perkins has been lost all year, Sandfort didn’t show up until January and Pat has missed half the year. It’s unbelievable Fran has this team at 12-8 right now
It's in large part to Rebraca's tremendous play, I'd say. And, of course Kris but that was kind of expected. Rebraca has played at a level I didn't even know he was capable of. If we can get the guards playing a little better, get Sandfort shooting like he can, and get PMac back and playing at a high level, this team can be very good.

One of Iowa's best defensive games, but unfortunately, one of the worst shooting games. Rebraca was the best big man on the court, and Ulis was the best guard, although he threw away four free points that hurt. Kris just didn't have it last night, and Perkins was MIA on the offensive end. Payton is just not a consistent shooter at this point in his career. The play at the end was beautiful, except he just couldn't deliver. Watching that play, is why we need Connor on the court as much as possible.

Reactions: Mohawkeye
One of Iowa's best defensive games, but unfortunately, one of the worst shooting games. Rebraca was the best big man on the court, and Ulis was the best guard, although he threw away four free points that hurt. Kris just didn't have it last night, and Perkins was MIA on the offensive end. Payton is just not a consistent shooter at this point in his career. The play at the end was beautiful, except he just couldn't deliver. Watching that play, is why we need Connor on the court as much as possible.
They needed to get Sissoko out of the game. Rebraca only made like one shot against him. He was almost perfect against the other posts he went against.

They needed to get Sissoko out of the game. Rebraca only made like one shot against him. He was almost perfect against the other posts he went against.
Really hard to play through the contact around the basket against MSU at Breslin. I don't think Perkins ever held on to the ball when he went into the lane.

Good looking play. Very disappointed in Murray’s play and effort tonight
Murray is soft and struggles against physical teams.
He will not succeed in the association if he keeps disappearing for long stretches. Seen that too many times this year from him.

Reactions: Mohawkeye
Really hard to play through the contact around the basket against MSU at Breslin. I don't think Perkins ever held on to the ball when he went into the lane.
The entire team is not very strong with the ball. Connor is probably the strongest with the ball.

The entire team is not very strong with the ball. Connor is probably the strongest with the ball.
So how often do you see Connor drive to the hoop and finish strong? The answer to that is almost zero. Excellent passer, solid open shooter but if you’re talking driving and finishing around the hoop it doesn’t happen. Rebraca was a beast last night, especially considering they played 3 different Centers against him. If Kris has his usual strong game we win. Yes, lots of physical play, but I also thought we were physical on the defensive end. It’s not like just 1 team is playing physical. And man we desperately need Perkins to find his game. He can’t handle the ball, can’t finish around the rim, it’s just bad right now.

you're setting yourself up for major disappointment yet again.
This is every season under Fran

This is every season under Fran.

Wish I had Wilson's optimism, but I have been an Iowa fan for over 60 years and have to temper any optimism given years and tears of close but no cigar. Iowa just never quite gets over the hump nationally in sports. Exception being 58/59 football team.

This is every season under Fran.

Wish I had Wilson's optimism, but I have been an Iowa fan for over 60 years and have to temper any optimism given years and tears of close but no cigar. Iowa just never quite gets over the hump nationally in sports. Exception being 58/59 football team.

And 24 wrestling national champs

Maybe I am Courtney, maybe I'm not. Is that an issue for you?

Why does Izzo's behavior have any relevance? I agree that are questionable calls that go against every team, but there are a number of posters on here who have stated that the calls always seem to go against the Hawks, and that there is some mysterious presence that wants to hold Iowa down. Personally, I don't believe that.

You don't think Fran 'gets into the stripes grill'? If it is ok for Fran why is it not ok for other coaches, Izzo in this case, to do the same?

I guess I was talking mainly about Iowa because this is an Iowa board, and the fans here, like fans on many message boards always seem to think the officials call the game to favor the other team. Maybe I should have clarified your original statement of the officials making 'bogus calls', which I interpreted to mean against the Hawkeyes. Was that your intent, or did you just mean they were making them in favor of MSU?
Everyone sees bogus calls. It’s been a thing in the BIG for years. Problem I see is the physical play that certain teams can get away with all game long. I’ll use the game at the RAC last season when throughout the game Iowa is getting physically out played (mugged). They fought through it and still had a chance to win the game late. Which to their credit is not a trait for a most Iowa teams.

Rutgers ball near their bench and Murray gets stuck with a tickytack foul that looked to me contact was initiated by the Rutgers player 32’ away from the basket with a tick or two on the clock. This after being mugged all game long with their type of physical play the game is decided by a stripe that looked the other way all game long.

Courtney Green may be a decent guy but I’ve seen enough of him and Scirotto that nothing surprises me about the games they call. All the games they call.

Everyone sees bogus calls. It’s been a thing in the BIG for years. Problem I see is the physical play that certain teams can get away with all game long. I’ll use the game at the RAC last season when throughout the game Iowa is getting physically out played (mugged). They fought through it and still had a chance to win the game late. Which to their credit is not a trait for a most Iowa teams.

Rutgers ball near their bench and Murray gets stuck with a tickytack foul that looked to me contact was initiated by the Rutgers player 32’ away from the basket with a tick or two on the clock. This after being mugged all game long with their type of physical play the game is decided by a stripe that looked the other way all game long.

Courtney Green may be a decent guy but I’ve seen enough of him and Scirotto that nothing surprises me about the games they call. All the games they call.

I will admit I had no idea who Courtney was that you were referring to, but now I get it.

I watch a lot of different leagues and they all seem to be officiated about the same, it's not just the B1G.

I don't understand why some things are called, and some are not. But typically it tends to balance out over the course of the game.

Kris needs another year to work on ball handling and using his right hand more. Also work on his one foot jumping. Right now he is second rounder
It won’t happen but if we could pay him a half million in NIL it would be a wise move for him. He needs to get stronger with the ball.

Murray is soft and struggles against physical teams.
He will not succeed in the association if he keeps disappearing for long stretches. Seen that too many times this year from him.
Everyone said he was soft earlier in the year against Duke, etc but we found out he was injured. I didn't think Kris played soft at all last night. He certainly didn't have his A game but it wasn't due to being or playing "soft."

He'll likely do very well in the NBA just like Keegan. They are very similar players and Kris has the 3 point shooting skills that will allow him to flourish like Keegan has.

Everyone said he was soft earlier in the year against Duke, etc but we found out he was injured. I didn't think Kris played soft at all last night. He certainly didn't have his A game but it wasn't due to being or playing "soft."

He'll likely do very well in the NBA just like Keegan. They are very similar players and Kris has the 3 point shooting skills that will allow him to flourish like Keegan has.
People throw the word 'soft' any time someone has a bad game, or is not out there tackling people on the court. It's way too overused & lost all its meaning.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT