ADVERTISEMENT

Iowa vs PSU

. A good question would be, how does rby vs Gilman look when they go live? My guess is TG takes him to the woodshed in Free.
I assume RBY not trying to give 57kg a go at the trials in recent years answers that question. If he could take it to Gilman you would think he would give it a shot at least.

Reactions: Grip220
125 - Iowa Fall (Iowa 6 PSU 0)
133 - PSU Tech (Iowa 6 PSU 5)
141 - Iowa Dec ( Iowa 9 PSU 5)
149- Iowa Dec (Iowa 12 PSU 5)
157 - PSU Dec ( Iowa 12 PSU 8)
165 - Iowa Dec (Iowa 15 PSU 8)
174 - PSU Major (Iowa 15 PSU 12)
184- PSU Dec ( Iowa 15 PSU 15)
197- PSU Dec ( Iowa 15 PSU 18)
Hwt - Iowa Dec ( Iowa 18 PSU 18)

Haines/Cobe, Warner/Dean and Hwt will decide the meet I think. Teske probably doesn’t get tech’d by RBY but don’t know if he’s wrestling. Iowa matches up much better in a dual than a tournament with PSU.
Agree, except for HWT.

Reactions: moug
I assume RBY not trying to give 57kg a go at the trials in recent years answers that question. If he could take it to Gilman you would think he would give it a shot at least.

I don’t know that I would ass-u-‘me that…I think RBY just can’t get down and if we’re to stick with wrestling, we would more than likely see him go up to 65KG in Olympic years.

Well let's do the math:

Spencer 125 = 5 or 6 points, let's give him 6
Teske or ?? 133 = -4 points
Iowa heads in to 141 up by 2

For the sake of argument you pull Drakes shirt
Drake 125 = 3 or 4 points, let's give him the 4
Spencer at 133 = let's give him a Decision = 3
Iowa heads in to 141 up by 7, if RBY we're to Win Iowa only loses a point in the chance for the 7 point differential.

Does that help?

PS it goes a long way towards settling the masses and their mutual albeit far too early arguments for the Hodge
Doesn't help much. You forgot about the intentional knee wrench/twist that leaves him with an injury and then missing the tournaments.

Reactions: TarpHawk
I don’t know that I would ass-u-‘me that…I think RBY just can’t get down and if we’re to stick with wrestling, we would more than likely see him go up to 65KG in Olympic years.
Is that French (ass-u-‘me)? True, Karl almost made him quit wrestling after last year (TIC), so it sounds like MMA is where his interest might be after PSU. You have more insider knowledge on RBY than the rest of us.

Well let's do the math:

Spencer 125 = 5 or 6 points, let's give him 6
Teske or ?? 133 = -4 points
Iowa heads in to 141 up by 2

For the sake of argument you pull Drakes shirt
Drake 125 = 3 or 4 points, let's give him the 4
Spencer at 133 = let's give him a Decision = 3
Iowa heads in to 141 up by 7, if RBY we're to Win Iowa only loses a point in the chance for the 7 point differential.

Does that help?

PS it goes a long way towards settling the masses and their mutual albeit far too early arguments for the Hodge
Burn a shirt for a single dual. Really?

High Life Stoner GIF by Hey Mikey!

125-5-0 Iowa. Lee will either get tech or pin.
133-5-4 RBY is way too good and neither guy is good at scoring.
141-8-4 Bartlett will be stingy but Real will hit a couple things
149-8-7 Murin needs to show he can win these types of matches more often. Try to score more often
157-8-10 I think Haines goes and he ends up being their 6th top 4 guy in March.
165- 11-10 I like Kennedy in this matchup
174- 11-14 Starocci is too slick and good
184- 11-18 Brooks is too good for Abe. I think Brooks wants to show how much better in this one.
197- 11-21 Dean has proven he can beat Warner. Plus Warner hasn't looked as good.
285- 11-24 Kerkvliet was either very injured his first year or he's jumped quite a few levels. Or both. Think this is a bad matchup going forward for Tony.

I'm surprised so many are picking Max to lose. He is very stingy and Van Ness isn't an offensive dynamo. If Max has any chance to AA, these are the guys he has to beat. I think he wins with the only takedown. It will be similar to the YaYa match, exept Thomas is better than Van Ness imo.

Reactions: IRONBIRD
I'm surprised so many are picking Max to lose. He is very stingy and Van Ness isn't an offensive dynamo. If Max has any chance to AA, these are the guys he has to beat. I think he wins with the only takedown. It will be similar to the YaYa match, exept Thomas is better than Van Ness imo.
Here we go again.. those have been the guys he’s needed to beat for four years now. The problem is that guys at his level have guys coming in every year with more upside. It’s hard to reach the top that way.

Here we go again.. those have been the guys he’s needed to beat for four years now. The problem is that guys at his level have guys coming in every year with more upside. It’s hard to reach the top that way.
I agree, but how many guys ranked out of the top 12 has Max lost to in the last 3 years? Honest question as I don’t know, but I'm guessing very few.

Reactions: el dub
I agree, but how many guys ranked out of the top 12 has Max lost to in the last 3 years? Honest question as I don’t know, but I'm guessing very few.
But is Van Ness really out of the top 12? I know he currently is but as a freshman he might be wrestling better than his current ranking which might be a little low imo.

Reactions: tiltman and el dub
But is Van Ness really out of the top 12? I know he currently is but as a freshman he might be wrestling better than his current ranking which might be a little low imo.
Van Ness is still looking for his breakthrough signature win. He has 2 more chances vs Murin and Sasso before B1G's. He has lost (albeit close matches) against the two top 10 guys he's faced so far, so it's hard to say he's wrestling above his ranking (14) right now.

Kind of surprised by the amount of bonus points people are predicting for PSU (not just in this thread) at 33, 74, and 84.

Brands and Assad have just 1 BP loss each to date. Starocci, for as talented as he is, rarely bonuses top 20 opponents.

I wouldn't be surprised if Spencer equals(or exceeds) the amount of bonus PSU gets at those weights.

There is a clear path for Iowa to win:

Fall at 25, win 41,49,65 and win one of 57/97/hwt AND they must hold PSU to 2 bonus points. Easier said than done, but very attainable. They do that, and Iowa wins 18-17.

All that being said, I dont think it happens. I have PSU winning 6 matches to 4 and taking the dual 20-15.

Will be interesting to see how it plays out.

Kind of surprised by the amount of bonus points people are predicting for PSU (not just in this thread) at 33, 74, and 84.

Brands and Assad have just 1 BP loss each to date. Starocci, for as talented as he is, rarely bonuses top 20 opponents.

I wouldn't be surprised if Spencer equals(or exceeds) the amount of bonus PSU gets at those weights.

Fall at 25, win 41,49,65 and win one of 57/97/hwt AND they must hold PSU to 2 bonus points. Easier said than done, but very attainable. They do that, and Iowa wins 18-17.

All that being said, I dont think it happens. I have PSU winning 6 matches to 4 and taking the dual 20-15.

I don’t follow PSU that closely when it comes to dual results. Is Cael the type of guy who cares where the dual starts at? Obviously starting with Lee is never good for anyone but PSU is so extremely talented at the upper weights. Iowa’s best, maybe only chance, is to get the momentum rolling early. Spencer pins, Real wins, and maybe that momentum carry’s over and Max gets a win. And Iowa could be looking at 12 to 6 at intermission. And 15 to 6 after 165. Then when you do get to PSU’s hammers every guy for iowa knows if they get a win or at least don’t bonused iowa has a good shot at winning. Seems starting literally any other weight but 125 is best for Penn State.

We are huge favorites at 125, very solid favorite at 141. Penn St are huge favorites at 133, 174 and 184. Huge meaning very unlikely we win but not indicating bonus points. The rest are toss ups or slight lean either way. Using Intermat rankings, Van Ness has lost to #2 Gomez and #6 Johnson. Murin has lost to #4 Thomas and #6 Johnson. Van Ness best wins are over #23 Kinner 11-6 and #31 Rooks 8-2. Murin has beat #12 Zapf 6-4 in SV. He doesn’t have any other ranked victories this year. It’s hard to pick Max because he goes ultra conservative against more athletic opponents and tries for the one takedown win. Van Ness is high pace and will continue to shoot. Max will need to keep some pace or he could get hit for stalling, especially on the road.

My head says:
125 Fall for Lee, 6-0 Iowa
133 MD for RBY, 6-4 Iowa
141 Dec for Woods, 9-4 Iowa (hoping for a couple 4 point turns for a major but not predicting it)
149 Dec for Murin, 12-4 Iowa
157 Dec for Haines, 12-7 Iowa
165 Dec for Kennedy, 15-7 Iowa
174 Dec for Starocci, 15-10 Iowa
184 MD for Brooks, 15-14 Iowa
197 Dec for Dean, 17-15 PSU
285 Dec for Kerk, 20-15 PSU

I think Cass can beat Kerk but I don’t see it happening with the dual on the line. I hope I’m wrong. Also, Cobe can beat Haines at 157 but just watching each of them wrestle I give the slight advantage to Haines.

Reactions: jrod65

I have 20-15 as well.

I don’t follow PSU that closely when it comes to dual results. Is Cael the type of guy who cares where the dual starts at? Obviously starting with Lee is never good for anyone but PSU is so extremely talented at the upper weights. Iowa’s best, maybe only chance, is to get the momentum rolling early. Spencer pins, Real wins, and maybe that momentum carry’s over and Max gets a win. And Iowa could be looking at 12 to 6 at intermission. And 15 to 6 after 165. Then when you do get to PSU’s hammers every guy for iowa knows if they get a win or at least don’t bonused iowa has a good shot at winning. Seems starting literally any other weight but 125 is best for Penn State.
I don’t see Cael trying to change the order. Dual will start at 125 in all likelihood

Reactions: pointingdogsrule
Van Ness is still looking for his breakthrough signature win. He has 2 more chances vs Murin and Sasso before B1G's. He has lost (albeit close matches) against the two top 10 guys he's faced so far, so it's hard to say he's wrestling above his ranking (14) right now.
I'd say that's a fair take.

Zero chance Lee bumps. Let's be honest for a second, Lee in his current condition is getting beat by rby. He'd be giving up at least 8 pounds and probably 6 inches of length. I don't think the match would even be close and Lee might get seriously hurt. Healthy Lee would be a great match. Nobody he's beaten in his college career is at rby's level other than maybe suriano though again, 8 pounds is a LOT at that weight.

Zero chance Lee bumps. Let's be honest for a second, Lee in his current condition is getting beat by rby. He'd be giving up at least 8 pounds and probably 6 inches of length. I don't think the match would even be close and Lee might get seriously hurt. Healthy Lee would be a great match. Nobody he's beaten in his college career is at rby's level other than maybe suriano though again, 8 pounds is a LOT at that weight.

Agree that Lee ain't going up. Disagree that RBY would win and it wouldn't be close. RBY wrestles everyone tough very close (see Desanto's matches). Him whooping on Lee?? Nope!

Lol look at RBYs wrestlestat. You’d have to go back to 2020 to see him handily beat a quality opponent. Before that you won’t find any. Against better wrestlers he wrestles a defensive style and picks his spot. NATO, Glory, Rivera, and Mueller we’re pretty good too btw

Reactions: el dub
I don’t follow PSU that closely when it comes to dual results. Is Cael the type of guy who cares where the dual starts at?

I don’t see Cael trying to change the order. Dual will start at 125 in all likelihood

Cael prefers to start at 125.

Personally, I prefer random starts. Helps reduce unhealthy weight cuts in teh middle and upper weights and it gives someone other that the HWT the oportunity to experience the pressure wrestling with the entire meet on their shoulders.

Reactions: praguehawk
125-5-0 Iowa. Lee will either get tech or pin.
133-5-4 RBY is way too good and neither guy is good at scoring.
141-8-4 Bartlett will be stingy but Real will hit a couple things
149-8-7 Murin needs to show he can win these types of matches more often. Try to score more often
157-8-10 I think Haines goes and he ends up being their 6th top 4 guy in March.
165- 11-10 I like Kennedy in this matchup
174- 11-14 Starocci is too slick and good
184- 11-18 Brooks is too good for Abe. I think Brooks wants to show how much better in this one.
197- 11-21 Dean has proven he can beat Warner. Plus Warner hasn't looked as good.
285- 11-24 Kerkvliet was either very injured his first year or he's jumped quite a few levels. Or both. Think this is a bad matchup going forward for Tony.
This one I think will be close to what happens. Only thing I see differently is Lee is getting the fall…period. Weird things usually happen between these two teams so I expect at least one mildly surprising result.

• Haha
Reactions: snotknockerhawk
It would be awesome to see Lee bump up and wrestle RBY. It’s a shame you have one of the best 125ers ever and one of the best 133s ever and they’ve never wrestled. Future four time champ vs future three time champ. Would be epic.

My head says:
125 Fall for Lee, 6-0 Iowa
133 MD for RBY, 6-4 Iowa
141 Dec for Woods, 9-4 Iowa (hoping for a couple 4 point turns for a major but not predicting it)
149 Dec for Murin, 12-4 Iowa
157 Dec for Haines, 12-7 Iowa
165 Dec for Kennedy, 15-7 Iowa
174 Dec for Starocci, 15-10 Iowa
184 MD for Brooks, 15-14 Iowa
197 Dec for Dean, 17-15 PSU
285 Dec for Kerk, 20-15 PSU

Pretty close to nailing it.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT