ADVERTISEMENT

Iowa won't sell 4,000 tickets to a home NIT game

Posters on here that what Fran to incorporate defense are living in a fantasy world. They play defense, you just ignore it because it doesn't fit your description of it.
Iowa plays to a fast tempo, when you play fast you allow the opposition to play fast, but the people hate Fran because his system hasn't reached the sweet 16 yet make up a narrative that Iowa doesn't play defense, whatever trips your trigger. Iowa can't play defense like a Wisconsin or a Villanova, Butler use to do, it doesn't work that way.
If you want Beth to fire Fran and go out and get a coach that runs sets that takes 30 seconds or more off the clock to put up a shot, then by all means fill her mail box with that in mine.
It would be great if Fran would finally break the rock and make the sweet 16 and maybe he will in the future, but it took Lisa Bluder 15 years to get to their sweet 16 and look at what she has accomplished now, Fran has recruited the last 2 years 6 players that have possibly the ability to break that rock and I'm all in, in letting Fran continue coaching at Iowa to let that happen.
I have faith in Payton, Mulvey, Freeman, Dembele, Pryce, Bowen, Dix, Harding, Koch, Tadjo, and if Perkins comes back Iowa has the roster to get it done.

Reactions: Willin
Actually 15 years, what happened to the angry posters back when she was at Iowa after the 14 year. Must not have cared that much for women's basketball back then.
I think some of you are not reading the room very well. If Lisa had 2 daughters playing poorly ahead of our 2 best players, and acted like Fran on the sideline, she would've been ran out of town. To me those are the biggest reason many fans are done. I was eligible for 10 club/donor seats for the game, but didn't know anyone that wanted to go due to the aforementioned reasons.

It was a blast, glad I went. Thought it was going to be too late getting home for my kid, but my wife didn’t care and she wanted to go.

Good energetic crowd. Stood up and got loud. Very different feel than conference games. I wish Iowa crowds were always like this, even if it’s 4500 people.
I had a blast as well. You nailed it about the energy. Pre-tip the building just felt different. Much different energy than the conference games.

I was pulling for UC Irvine. I really wanted another game like the one we got last night.

FYI: Actual attendance last night was reported to be a little over 4,500. (I had predicted 5,000 tops.) Attendance at other NIT games last night ranged from a low of 2,200 at LSU to 6,500 at Providence. Ohio State drew almost exactly the same number as Iowa, with most games in the 3,000 to 4,000 range.

Sandfort and other Iowa players said that even though the crowd was small, it was loud and having fun. And it came across that way on TV. I'd say it was the second "best" crowd of the season, along with the sellout vs. Illinois in the season finale. That crowd was energized and big, a rare thing at Carver in recent years. So well done to all of you who attended last night. You helped the Hawkeyes win and have fun doing it.

Reactions: unclesammy
Posters on here that what Fran to incorporate defense are living in a fantasy world. They play defense, you just ignore it because it doesn't fit your description of it.
Iowa plays to a fast tempo, when you play fast you allow the opposition to play fast, but the people hate Fran because his system hasn't reached the sweet 16 yet make up a narrative that Iowa doesn't play defense, whatever trips your trigger. Iowa can't play defense like a Wisconsin or a Villanova, Butler use to do, it doesn't work that way.
If you want Beth to fire Fran and go out and get a coach that runs sets that takes 30 seconds or more off the clock to put up a shot, then by all means fill her mail box with that in mine.
It would be great if Fran would finally break the rock and make the sweet 16 and maybe he will in the future, but it took Lisa Bluder 15 years to get to their sweet 16 and look at what she has accomplished now, Fran has recruited the last 2 years 6 players that have possibly the ability to break that rock and I'm all in, in letting Fran continue coaching at Iowa to let that happen.
I have faith in Payton, Mulvey, Freeman, Dembele, Pryce, Bowen, Dix, Harding, Koch, Tadjo, and if Perkins comes back Iowa has the roster to get it done.
Yes, I'm replying to my own post. Had to leave to do some errands. What I wanted to add is if there was an internet in 1970, how would the 1970 team that averaged almost 99 points a game in the 25 game season been looked at. Would that team that allowed 87 points a game been looked at as being a defensive team? I highly doubt it. Enjoy the coach you have until he leaves on his own accord. Otherwise you're all shit out of luck wanting him gone.

I had a blast as well. You nailed it about the energy. Pre-tip the building just felt different. Much different energy than the conference games.

I was pulling for UC Irvine. I really wanted another game like the one we got last night.

I think Gunner nailed it too. The 8:00pm tip hurt attendance. I had plans on taking the entire family, but we wouldn’t get home until around midnight on a school night. I had tossed around the idea of going alone or watching it on TV. My kid wanted go, but I think she just had visions of meeting Caitlin. We didn’t sit too far from her, maybe a section and a half over, but did not bother her.

The crowd was loud because the fans wanted to be there and yell. Maybe a lot of fans who dont go to many games. The fans who sit on their hands were not there.

Iowa fans are just bored with Iowa men's bball even though the offense can score they dont win enough and when you watch total defensive meltdowns late in the shot clock all the time with Iowa players running around the court trying to get to open shooters .

And really is the offense super exciting with back door dunks, a wizard at pt guard driving and dishing amazing passes, no,

I didn’t get to any games this year. The exhibition game and the No ILL game. My work schedule just sucked for bball this year. So I can’t complain too much for the regulars, the season ticket holders, who gave their money for every game. But yeah, NIT games have always been a different feel, a different type of crowd. I think the only NIT game I’ve missed was the 2017 So Dak game and that’s going back to Dr Tom’s days when “Pistol” Pete Lisicky hit that last second three.

If in 1998, I told you Iowa women would have better attendance than the men in 2024....who would have believed me?

If in 1998, I told you Iowa women would have better attendance than the men in 2024....who would have believed me?
If you included the fact that the Iowa women had the GOAT on their#2 ranked team and the men did not make the tourney I would have believed it.

How long in her Iowa tenure did it take Bluder to win the Big ten regular season conference Title and or the big tournament?

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT