ADVERTISEMENT

Iowalaw's Objective Post-Game Thoughts: Wisconsin

iowalaw

All-Conference
Jan 20, 2015
Scottsdale
The good news is, we hung in there with a top 10 team. The bad news is this post-game wrap up is the Hawkeye staff continues to make the same mistakes.

1. Losing the Close Calls - I cannot remember a time in my life where there were so many close calls that were reviewed and decided against us or no calls that favored opponents. Plus, I don't think Wisconsin had any penalties at all. They must have converted five 3rd downs by 1 inch after replay. Refs failed to call late hits or roughing the kicker penalties how many times? We even lost a touchdown. If the Hawks won 50% of the reviewed calls, we very well could have won this game.

2. Misuse of King Continues - The ineptitude of personnel decisions by this staff continues. King had another fantastic game...stopping the run. Why was our star CB stopping the run? Because rather than having King cover the opposing team's best WR, they have King cover the empty side of the field. Opposing QBs simply go to the other side of the field and torch Mabin. Such a waste of talent relegating a Thorpe Award winner to an undersized safety in run support. In addition, would it kill the staff to throw the kid a bone and let him line up as WR for a few plays? It would help the team, and help his draft stock.

3. DL Continues to Improve - The D Line was beyond impressive. Clement looked like an NFL back against #2 Ohio State. He averaged just 3 yards per carry against us. These guys are the one unit who has continually improved over the season. Hats off to Reece Morgan.

4. Offense Continues to Misfire - Two words come to mind when I watch our offense: Todd Lickliter. There is no innovation. No flash (aside from what Wadley does on his own). No adjustments made based upon the opponent. No speed at WR. Whether we win or lose, it is boring football to watch. Recruits are taking notice. It's time to make a change at OC.

5. Wadley Continues to Be the Best Back - Our best player continues to be left out of starting lineup in favor of an inferior player? Sure, Wadley still gets playing time, but every game of the season he has been the better back (Wadley had 72 yards receiving and avged 1 yrd per carry more than Daniels today). Naming an inferior at any position the starter is symbolic. It shows 2nd teamers that no matter how hard they work, they cannot supplant Kirk's favorites. Once Daniels or Bo Bower or Cole Croston are named a starter, they are handed a union card and their performance no longer matters.

6. Beathard Continues to Regress - If we erased last year from CJ's resume, most fans would be clamoring for him to be benched. Today he was 17-33 for 153 yards (4 yards per completion, and most of that is yards after catch). Zero touchdowns. Most importantly, zero shots down the field to keep the defense honest. CJ is a gamer, no doubt, and continues to fight hard with his legs. But his 20th delay of game penalty of the season (we called timeout before it was called) cost us a HUGE touchdown in the 2nd quarter today, and these sort of rookie mistakes continue to happen.

7. Snyder Continues to Deliver Hits - While Snyder's pass coverage continues to be subpar, he continues to show flashes of Bob Sanders on his hits. Our defense has lacked that for years. This kid will be a stud next year.

8. WRs Continue to Embarrass Us - Political correctness aside, how many Power 5 schools in the nation have had 3 walk-on or 2 star white guys from small town Iowa/South Dakota as their top 3 receivers? Just one. Then Scheel continues to look like a 4 star bust, and Smith continues to drop more passes than he catches. The routes the staff draws up aren't doing these kids any favors...nor is the huge attrition that we've suffered in the past 4 yrs.

9. Tempo Continues to Be Like Molasses - I've pointed this out in weeks past, but what is stopping this team from picking up the pace? CJ continues to hike the ball with 2 seconds left on the play clock and allowing the defense to be completely set and ready for the play. On those rare occasions where we do play no huddle, hurry up offense, we move the chains each and every time. Why not continue it?

10. Outrageous Mental Mistakes Continue - The bad penalties continue to plague us. Undisciplined play. And did anyone notice on King's huge kick return at the end of the game...he had 3 blockers ahead of him, and just one guy to beat coming from the side...all 3 blockers just stayed out front and waited for the guy to come make a play. Absolute amateur play.

Reactions: wxhawk
A couple decent points, but anyone who watched that game knows that WI was far superior. We may have "hung in there" on the scoreboard, but that had more to do with WI's mistakes (missed FG's, fumble on goalline) than anything we did.

Also, Snyder will not "be a stud" next or any year. I'm trying to be delicate here, but he is not good. Just because he occasionally makes a big hit does not remotely make up for the missed coverage, missed tackles, and undisciplined play trying to make a big hit when he should be wrapping up.

Several stats point out the reason Iowa lost to Wisky.

Time of possession for Iowa was 22:58 minutes
Hawkeyes converted 2 out of 13 third downs.
Total Offense for Iowa was 236 yards.
Crucical penalties for Iowa were five for 30 yds

Basically our offense lost this game and our defense
made us look respectable..

It could be said that despite having less talent and fat cat coaches, we were still just a missed short field goal and a questionable overturned touchdown reception away from winning against a top 10 team. We were also a couple of Wisc breaks away from being blown out.

We were close in all 3 losses. Perhaps simply fixing some of the fixable items mentioned above (i.e. Getting the best players on the field and calling plays that utilize their strengths) might be all that is needed to turn things around and at least beat the teams we are supposed to beat.

Last edited:
Reactions: wxhawk
Stats aside, we were a missed short field goal and an overturned touchdown reception away from winning. Both of those could have easily gone the other way.
Well, if Wisconsin wouldn't have fumbled on the goal line and missed what...2 FG's?...it wouldn't have been close.

A couple decent points, but anyone who watched that game knows that WI was far superior. We may have "hung in there" on the scoreboard, but that had more to do with WI's mistakes (missed FG's, fumble on goalline) than anything we did.

Also, Snyder will not "be a stud" next or any year. I'm trying to be delicate here, but he is not good. Just because he occasionally makes a big hit does not remotely make up for the missed coverage, missed tackles, and undisciplined play trying to make a big hit when he should be wrapping up.

I disagree, Iowa gave Wisconsin a ton of yards on missed tackles. Make those stops and Iowa has a great chance, even with an offense that stunk.

Stats aside, we were a missed short field goal and an overturned touchdown reception away from winning. Both of those could have easily gone the other way.
If you want to offer "objective" thoughts on a game, the stats are the best and most reliable way to accomplish that.

As to denmar, sure, take away those missed tackles by Iowa, then take away Clement's fumble on the goalline, but then give WI the points they also could have had off missed FGs.

I mean, let's get real people. Don't fool yourself into thinking this 5-3 Iowa team is somehow "good" just because it "only lost" by 8. At home.

Bo bowers playing is a detriment to the defense.
Spots today by the refs were awful. I know it's just spots but the 3rd downs today for them and against us were costly. Even potentially game changing.

Reactions: Lsanders20
Time to start cheering for Hawkeye Volleyball! I hear they are very exciting to watch and a great atmosphere!

Our offense is not close at all. Ferentz said "we will get there" but the passing game will not get there this year, I can guarantee it. They are pathetic with talent and their offensive philosophy doesn't do them any favors with subpar talent.

I agree with 90% of this but I am very sorry I just don't see the love for Snyder...Taylor and him are the worst tackling safeties in space in the Kirk F era...

Reactions: Lsanders20
There are far too many walkons that start for a power five school. That is a poor reflection on the lack of recruiting with this staff. Snyder, Croston, Myers, Bower, McCarron. The personal works against the Purdues but against the good teams, its a glaring weakness.

At this point, what would it hurt to get Jonathan Parker/Boyle/Mitchell/the true freshmen WR in the game at wide receiver? They are all fast, athletic, scholarship athletes who came to Iowa to contribute. If the coaches won't resign, at least we can change the lineups.

The young guys on the bench could not possibly do worse than the fat cats who play the entire game and average one catch per game. I saw Smith jogging on a couple of routes and I wasn't even paying attention to him.

Last edited:
I'm also frustrated others aren't getting chances to shine. Fant has taken advantage of his reps, and he's just a freshman. My guess is there is another Fant just waiting to get some time to show it. And if there isn't, well, who the hell cares as the starters aren't getting "it" done right now.

Unfortunately, Fant is not playing because the coaches are open minded or getting play makers on the field. Fant is playing because our starter is hurt, Wiesnewski is hurt, and the only other guy on the roster, Pikar, is a walkon who cannot catch. It's sad that it had to come to that before putting talented kids on the field. I guess it's going to take some more injuries before we let the younger WRs play. Don't we have any young LBs that can step in and play at least as good as Bower?

I agree with 90% of this but I am very sorry I just don't see the love for Snyder...Taylor and him are the worst tackling safeties in space in the Kirk F era...

I didn't see much to ding Snyder in this game. Taylor got schooled on the initial TD, Bower missed a key tackle that would have created a nth down, and even Jewell got punished by Clement when he could have tackled him behind the line. Honestly, the D is not the problem even with a few breakdowns and missed tackles. I think TEMPO might be the number one problem on offense with whatever is number two far down the list.

1. Losing the Close Calls - I cannot remember a time in my life where there were so many close calls that were reviewed and decided against us or no calls that favored opponents. Plus, I don't think Wisconsin had any penalties at all. They must have converted five 3rd downs by 1 inch after replay. Refs failed to call late hits or roughing the kicker penalties how many times? We even lost a touchdown. If the Hawks won 50% of the reviewed calls, we very well could have won this game.

I should have read your review first. Just started a thread about every close call going Wisconsin's way. A lot of the spotting of the ball near first down markers also seemed to favor Wisconsin, whether on O or D.

The good news is, we hung in there with a top 10 team. The bad news is this post-game wrap up is the Hawkeye staff continues to make the same mistakes.

2. Misuse of King Continues - The ineptitude of personnel decisions by this staff continues. King had another fantastic game...stopping the run. Why was our star CB stopping the run? Because rather than having King cover the opposing team's best WR, they have King cover the empty side of the field. Opposing QBs simply go to the other side of the field and torch Mabin. Such a waste of talent relegating a Thorpe Award winner to an undersized safety in run support. In addition, would it kill the staff to throw the kid a bone and let him line up as WR for a few plays? It would help the team, and help his draft stock.

3. DL Continues to Improve - The D Line was beyond impressive. Clement looked like an NFL back against #2 Ohio State. He averaged just 3 yards per carry against us. These guys are the one unit who has continually improved over the season. Hats off to Reece Morgan.

4. Offense Continues to Misfire - Two words come to mind when I watch our offense: Todd Lickliter. There is no innovation. No flash (aside from what Wadley does on his own). No adjustments made based upon the opponent. No speed at WR. Whether we win or lose, it is boring football to watch. Recruits are taking notice. It's time to make a change at OC.

5. Wadley Continues to Be the Best Back - Our best player continues to be left out of starting lineup in favor of an inferior player? Sure, Wadley still gets playing time, but every game of the season he has been the better back (Wadley had 72 yards receiving and avged 1 yrd per carry more than Daniels today). Naming an inferior at any position the starter is symbolic. It shows 2nd teamers that no matter how hard they work, they cannot supplant Kirk's favorites. Once Daniels or Bo Bower or Cole Croston are named a starter, they are handed a union card and their performance no longer matters.

6. Beathard Continues to Regress - If we erased last year from CJ's resume, most fans would be clamoring for him to be benched. Today he was 17-33 for 153 yards (4 yards per completion, and most of that is yards after catch). Zero touchdowns. Most importantly, zero shots down the field to keep the defense honest. CJ is a gamer, no doubt, and continues to fight hard with his legs. But his 20th delay of game penalty of the season (we called timeout before it was called) cost us a HUGE touchdown in the 2nd quarter today, and these sort of rookie mistakes continue to happen.

7. Snyder Continues to Deliver Hits - While Snyder's pass coverage continues to be subpar, he continues to show flashes of Bob Sanders on his hits. Our defense has lacked that for years. This kid will be a stud next year.

8. WRs Continue to Embarrass Us - Political correctness aside, how many Power 5 schools in the nation have had 3 walk-on or 2 star white guys from small town Iowa/South Dakota as their top 3 receivers? Just one. Then Scheel continues to look like a 4 star bust, and Smith continues to drop more passes than he catches. The routes the staff draws up aren't doing these kids any favors...nor is the huge attrition that we've suffered in the past 4 yrs.

9. Tempo Continues to Be Like Molasses - I've pointed this out in weeks past, but what is stopping this team from picking up the pace? CJ continues to hike the ball with 2 seconds left on the play clock and allowing the defense to be completely set and ready for the play. On those rare occasions where we do play no huddle, hurry up offense, we move the chains each and every time. Why not continue it?

10. Outrageous Mental Mistakes Continue - The bad penalties continue to plague us. Undisciplined play. And did anyone notice on King's huge kick return at the end of the game...he had 3 blockers ahead of him, and just one guy to beat coming from the side...all 3 blockers just stayed out front and waited for the guy to come make a play. Absolute amateur play.
Number 9 is the best point in my opinion. Iowa for the past few seasons has shown that when they up the tempo, good things happen. I'm f'n tired of the lack of creativity and hurry up with this offense. The huddle up until the play clock is about to expire is boring as hell and it's costing Iowa recruits. The one word that constantly is heard about Iowa is,...boring. That is not a word that is going to help them break through the next level.

And did anyone notice on King's huge kick return at the end of the game...he had 3 blockers ahead of him, and just one guy to beat coming from the side...all 3 blockers just stayed out front and waited for the guy to come make a play. Absolute amateur play.

that was by far the most upset i became during the game. the blockers were in front with no defenders in sight. wouldn't you think if you don't see anybody in front of you that maybe, just maybe, there might be defenders behind you? turn the eff around and block someone!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! no reason that shouldn't have been 6 and put us right back into the game.

Reactions: Natty Bumppo
Umm our all American corner also missed a tackle in space that all most went for a touchdown he tends to try and strip the ball vs actually tackling

Reactions: HawkeyeDenny
Regarding your third point, any word on Bazata? I grew up in the same area, and hope the injury isn't serious.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT