2012- 8 in B1G 43 nationally

2013- 10 in B1G 53 nationally

2014- 11 in B1G 59 nationally

2015- 13 in B1G 58 nationally

For
those that do not buy into the fact that recruit "stars" dont matter or
nor does recruiting rankings, is it all a coincidence that Iowa's
on-field struggles the last 5 years (a below .500 B1G record) seem to
run parallel with their lower ranked recruiting classes each year?

Unfortunately
the last 3 recruiting classes in particular, doesn't bode well for any
quick turnaround by Iowa on the field--even despite another weak
schedule in 2015.

I want to think the newly completed football
complex will impress much and help a lot, but I have my doubts. I was
expecting this year's class to do much better than it did. Any class
that has nearly 50% of its recruits as Iowa kids, in a year there wasn't
really stud kids in it, but rather more depth of "nice" players, is
concerning.

FWIW, Rivals changed their formula in 2013, but left everything pre-2013 as is. So.....I suppose there's a possibility that under the new formula 2011 and 2012 would already be in the 50s. Not that that's good news. I really don't have a problem with the core of a recruiting class being 3 stars, because that's the case for most teams. My problem is recruiting of the skill positions. Regardless of their star ratings (we've had plenty of 3 star, even some 2 star skill position players be productive) recruiting the skill positions has been subpar. I don't know if people generally consider LB to be a skill position (personally, I do), but....well....I don't even know how to describe our LB recruiting. Bottom line is that I really don't give a sh!t about their ratings, per se, but skill position recruiting needs to improve in a big way. And fast.

Originally posted by thejazzcat:

FWIW, Rivals changed their formula in 2013, but left everything pre-2013 as is. So.....I suppose there's a possibility that under the new formula 2011 and 2012 would already be in the 50s. Not that that's good news. I really don't have a problem with the core of a recruiting class being 3 stars, because that's the case for most teams. My problem is recruiting of the skill positions. Regardless of their star ratings (we've had plenty of 3 star, even some 2 star skill position players be productive) recruiting the skill positions has been subpar. I don't know if people generally consider LB to be a skill position (personally, I do), but....well....I don't even know how to describe our LB recruiting. Bottom line is that I really don't give a sh!t about their ratings, per se, but skill position recruiting needs to improve in a big way. And fast.
What I'm worried about is only 4 guys in the class had three or more offers from P5 teams. 13 of 21 didn't have a single other other than ours from a P5 team.

That's scary as s*** to me.

Add in the fact almost half of the guys coming in are from Iowa which is not known for producing much talent in any one given year and things start to look pretty bleak.

Originally posted by frydaze:
What's concerning is Iowa has dropped every year (per
Rivals) in the recruiting rankings among B1G teams as well as
nationally, with the exception that actually Iowa's class this year is
one spot better than it was last year.

2011- 4 in B1G     30 nationally

2012- 8 in B1G     43 nationally

2013- 10 in B1G    53 nationally

2014- 11 in B1G    59 nationally

2015- 13 in B1G   58 nationally

For

Unfortunately
schedule in 2015.

concerning.
Yep. The product on the field pretty much mirrors our recruiting rankings. For the most part we are getting MAC level recruits. And stop with the b.s. About how many guys we send to the NFL. Who cares. Sure, we develop players for the next level but we don't know how to use that talent on the field at IOWA! The kool aid drinkers will continue to say we develop talent... Blah, blah, blah. Bottom line is we are something like 34-31 since 2010. Dispute that record.
Posted from Rivals Mobile

Has recruiting skill players really been that bad? We've had some unfortunate swings and misses, but since 2011 (which would be RS Seniors next season) at just the running back position we've had:

4 star athlete/RB Rodney Coe
High 3 star RB Mikael McCall
4 star RB Greg Garmon
High 3 star RB Markiel Smith

In all, I don't think recruiting has been quite as bad as some think. However, it has been one of the things I've always been most disappointed with in the Ferentz era. I understand some of the recruiting limitations that Iowa has. It's a small state with not many division 1 prospects, the weather can suck which makes it difficult to attract southern players, and we don't have the history of Michigan or Ohio State.

However, there are more than enough things to sell our program which should give us better recruiting classes. While we don't have a great history like Michigan or Ohio State, since the 80's we have still been one of the better teams in the Big 10. Our weather isn't great, but it's not any worse than the weather at other Big 10 schools. Iowa City is a great college town. There's nothing inherent about a place like Madison that is superior to Iowa City, but given Wisconsin's string of success it is consistently being hailed as one of the great college towns in the country which is providing a lot of fuel for their recruiting. Our facilities are about as good as anyone's, and our athletic budget can also go toe-to-toe with just about anyone. But probably the best recruiting tool this coaching staff should have, and it is unique to them as a staff, is the amount of players we have put in the NFL compared to other Big 10 programs. Despite consistently ranking in the lower half of the Big 10 in recruiting, we have generated one of the highest amount of NFL draft picks as any Big 10 team since 2002. These recruits dream of going to the NFL, and we have tangible data that show that by going to Iowa you are maximizing your chances of going to the NFL. That should be a huge staple of our recruiting pitch and should virtually guarantee us a top half placement in the Big 10 for recruiting, but for whatever reason that has not materialized.

I am one of the biggest Ferentz supporters of anyone, but I really cannot provide much of a defense for his recruiting rankings. We lose out on recruiting battles with other Big 10 teams way more than we should.

Originally posted by DesMoinesHawki:

2011- 4 in B1G Â Â Â 30 nationally

2012- 8 in B1G Â Â Â 43 nationally

2013- 10 in B1G Â Â 53 nationally

2014- 11 in B1G Â Â 59 nationally

2015- 13 in B1G Â 58 nationally

For

Unfortunately
schedule in 2015.

concerning.
Yep. The product on the field pretty much mirrors our recruiting rankings. For the most part we are getting MAC level recruits. And stop with the b.s. About how many guys we send to the NFL. Who cares. Sure, we develop players for the next level but we don't know how to use that talent on the field at IOWA! The kool aid drinkers will continue to say we develop talent... Blah, blah, blah. Bottom line is we are something like 34-31 since 2010. Dispute that record.
Also throw in the proverbial "yeah what about Bob Sanders, Dallas Clark, Robert Gallery weren't highly rated coming out of high school". For every one of those guys, there are dozens of others whose low rankings perfectly fit their play on the college field ultimately; and unfortunately many of those have been ours.

Ferentz made what I have predicted will be a fatal recruiting flaw for him in the fact he pulled out mostly of Florida, New York, New Jersey, and western PA in the past five years. These were places where we had great success for several years even dating back to Bob Commings. Instead, he went with the mindset we must recruit much closer to home in the Midwest, and as a result, we have landed more inferior talent and many small town kids not ready for big time college football. You're right, we are recruiting too often like we are in the MAC conference and not the B1G.

Everyone here talks about the skill positions - WR/RB/QB. Yet (it seems) no one talks about the DEFENSIVE skill positions. While I believe Iowa recruiting at CB as been pretty good, it has been really lacking at LB and S.

Can someone point me to, or provide info on, our recruiting the last 5 years at LB and S? IMO that is one of the bigger reasons Iowa has really suffered (despite Hintchens/Morris/Kirksey).

TIA!

Things have changed a lot the last few years. The science of strength and conditioning has progressed to the point where Doyle isn't the advantage he once was--maybe he is still the best but the gap has closed tremendously.

Add to that twitter and YouTube and hidden talent isn't hidden so much the last few years. Prior to King who was the last one to fly under the radar and be an underrated, golden steal? Micah Hyde? That's been a few years ago. Derek Willies? Maybe could've been but that ship sailed...

Originally posted by icantfindausernamethatisntused:

Has recruiting skill players really been that bad? We've had some unfortunate swings and misses, but since 2011 (which would be RS Seniors next season) at just the running back position we've had:

4 star athlete/RB Rodney Coe
High 3 star RB Mikael McCall
4 star RB Greg Garmon
High 3 star RB Markiel Smith

In all, I don't think recruiting has been quite as bad as some think. However, it has been one of the things I've always been most disappointed with in the Ferentz era. I understand some of the recruiting limitations that Iowa has. It's a small state with not many division 1 prospects, the weather can suck which makes it difficult to attract southern players, and we don't have the history of Michigan or Ohio State.

However, there are more than enough things to sell our program which should give us better recruiting classes. While we don't have a great history like Michigan or Ohio State, since the 80's we have still been one of the better teams in the Big 10. Our weather isn't great, but it's not any worse than the weather at other Big 10 schools. Iowa City is a great college town. There's nothing inherent about a place like Madison that is superior to Iowa City, but given Wisconsin's string of success it is consistently being hailed as one of the great college towns in the country which is providing a lot of fuel for their recruiting. Our facilities are about as good as anyone's, and our athletic budget can also go toe-to-toe with just about anyone. But probably the best recruiting tool this coaching staff should have, and it is unique to them as a staff, is the amount of players we have put in the NFL compared to other Big 10 programs. Despite consistently ranking in the lower half of the Big 10 in recruiting, we have generated one of the highest amount of NFL draft picks as any Big 10 team since 2002. These recruits dream of going to the NFL, and we have tangible data that show that by going to Iowa you are maximizing your chances of going to the NFL. That should be a huge staple of our recruiting pitch and should virtually guarantee us a top half placement in the Big 10 for recruiting, but for whatever reason that has not materialized.

I am one of the biggest Ferentz supporters of anyone, but I really cannot provide much of a defense for his recruiting rankings. We lose out on recruiting battles with other Big 10 teams way more than we should.
Actually, you bring up an issue that I've been pondering a bit. IMO, getting guys on campus is obviously a subset of recruiting skill, but it seems to me that, at least indirectly, keeping guys on campus is as well. What I'm thinking about is precisely how does an OSU not only recruit highly rated players, but then keep them on campus? When you see depth such that a third string QB can lead them to a win in the Championship game, you have to ask how do they keep him happy and willing to stay. Likewise their obviously elite running back. Conversely, we have 2 QBs which are roughly (being the operative word here) equally average, both of which expect to play and if one of them doesn't....he'll leave. Somewhere in here is a recruiting skill, and one that Urban Meyer has in spades. It's pretty easy to understand that one of the primary things we have to sell is playing time, which IMO doesn't set the stage well for building quality depth. Because that's basically the world IA football lives in, when looking at the depth of the OSU and Alabamas, the only conclusion is that recruiting into that kind of depth is a special recruiting skill set....and we don't have it.
This post was edited on 2/7 10:59 AM by thejazzcat

2011- 4 in B1G 30 nationally

2012- 8 in B1G 43 nationally

2013- 10 in B1G 53 nationally

2014- 11 in B1G 59 nationally

2015- 13 in B1G 58 nationally

For

Unfortunately
schedule in 2015.

concerning.
Not trying to go all 2222 on you, but our average ranking (rivals) from 2002-2014 was 44.7, our average over last 5 years was 48.6. Really not that big of a dropoff. In general our recruiting needs to improve, but it is a fallacy to think that it is vastly different during that timeframe. Now last year and this year are the worst two year rankings since 2002 (59+58) and worst since 2008-09 when we were 53+63. The reality is that we MUST do better at grabbing a few more 4-Star quality players each year. With our success at putting LB's and D Lineman into the NFL, it is mindboggling we dont do better at those positions.

Originally posted by DesMoinesHawki:

2011- 4 in B1G Â Â Â 30 nationally

2012- 8 in B1G Â Â Â 43 nationally

2013- 10 in B1G Â Â 53 nationally

2014- 11 in B1G Â Â 59 nationally

2015- 13 in B1G Â 58 nationally

For

Unfortunately
schedule in 2015.

concerning.
Also throw in the proverbial "yeah what about Bob Sanders, Dallas Clark, Robert Gallery weren't highly rated coming out of high school". For every one of those guys, there are dozens of others whose low rankings perfectly fit their play on the college field ultimately; and unfortunately many of those have been ours.

Ferentz made what I have predicted will be a fatal recruiting flaw for him in the fact he pulled out mostly of Florida, New York, New Jersey, and western PA in the past five years. These were places where we had great success for several years even dating back to Bob Commings. Instead, he went with the mindset we must recruit much closer to home in the Midwest, and as a result, we have landed more inferior talent and many small town kids not ready for big time college football. You're right, we are recruiting too often like we are in the MAC conference and not the B1G.
Well, Dallas Clark was brought to campus by Hayden Fry as a grayshirt That leaves 2 players in 16 years under Ferentz that were not highly ranked coming out of HS that did well in college. And of those 2, one struggled in the NFL. So not really what I call a great track record with unknowns.

Too bad it was up to KF to allow Dallas Clark to join the team. Since by definition Clark couldn't have been with the team until AFTER KF was the HC.

FG OWNED AGAIN.

Originally posted by 100yearscounting:
Too bad it was up to KF to allow Dallas Clark to join the team. Since by definition Clark couldn't have been with the team until AFTER KF was the HC.

FG OWNED AGAIN.
Hayden Fry recruited and brought Dallas Clark to campus as a grayshirt. Had he not done that, Kirk wouldn't have be able to 'allow' to join the team.

Pretty funny you give credit to KF for allowing Clark to be on the team. Did KF not accept any of Hayden's kids when he took over? Were some of them not 'allowed' to be on the team? Can you tell me who KF did not allow to be on the team when he took over?

By definition a greyshirt isn't part of he team until at least the start of the second semester. Assuming of course the HC at that time allows them on the team. The HC in Dallas Clark's case was KF.

Pesky facts the FG ignores. BAU.

More I say. We want more. We want more and FG is the one to give it to us. Pollad is "So Proud".

By definition a greyshirt isn't part of he team until at least the start of the second semester. Assuming of course the HC at that time allows them on the team. The HC in Dallas Clark's case was KF.

More I say. We want more. We want more and FG is the one to give it to us. Pollad is "So Proud".
Oh 100. But you forgot one detail. He redshirted in 1998. Those darn pesky facts.

Make sure you check out DC's bio on the Iowa Hawkeye athletic department for those pesky facts.

Do you really think Robert Gallery struggled in the NFL? Playing in the NFL for 8 seasons is not struggling, regardless of stats.

Originally posted by Cougar63:
Do you really think Robert Gallery struggled in the NFL? Playing in the NFL for 8 seasons is not struggling, regardless of stats.
Well considering he has been described by some as a bust, I would say yes.

Iowa was not successful in New York or Pennsylvania under KF. At least not since 2002. We were able to keep a majority of the New Jersey kids in the program. Florida was hit and miss but still needs 20-30 offers a year.

Originally posted by FG86:

Oh 100. But you forgot one detail. He redshirted in 1998. Those darn pesky facts.

Make sure you check out DC's bio on the Iowa Hawkeye athletic department for those pesky facts.
How could he red-shirt is 1998 and leave early for the NFL? Because FG is owned.

FG Owned again

Originally posted by Cougar63:
Well considering he has been described by some as a bust, I would say yes.
Because FG says so. Remember folks he isn't a clown fan that throws rocks at Iowa. Just ignore his posts that say otherwise.

Another clown fan that makes Pollad and fellow clown fans "So Proud".

How could he red-shirt is 1998 and leave early for the NFL? Because FG is owned.
He graduated from TRV in 1997, then went to Iowa as a grayshirt in fall of 1997, cutting Kinnick grass for money, then redshirted in 1998. I think UI athletic department would know.

Oh snap

The only way for Clark to leave early is if his clock didn't start until 1999.

Feel free to prove the QC Times article wrong.

Good luck.

He graduated from TRV in 1997, then went to Iowa as a grayshirt in fall of 1997, cutting Kinnick grass for money, then redshirted in 1998. I think UI athletic department would know.
How can any self described Hawk fan not know that Dallas Clark left Iowa early for he NFL? Easy, FG is a clown fan pretending to be a Hawk fan.

Called it again.

Do you believe everything you read? A bust doesn't stay in the league for eight seasons. Jamarcus Russell was a bust. Robert Gallery was drafted too high, to a poor team, that had multiple positional coaching changes. Once he moved to LG, he was widely considered one of the most dependable guards in the league. Ironically, this also coincided with the fact that his line coach was Hugh Jackson, if I recall correctly.

Well, Dallas Clark was brought to campus by Hayden Fry as a grayshirt That leaves 2 players in 16 years under Ferentz that were not highly ranked coming out of HS that did well in college.
What? I must be confused. You are trying to say that KF has had only 2 successful low rated players in 16 years? Perhaps we need to define "not highly ranked" then. Because the list of successful walk-ons and 2 stars (you do understand that 2 stars is the lowest rating, correct?) is so long that people are tired of using it as rationale for poorly ranked recruiting classes. I don't even need to look anything up to rattle off a dozen 2 star players that had very successful careers at IA. There's no question that if we put our collective memories together the list would be over 2 dozen. 3 dozen likely. If you want I'll give you a jump start....here's your first dozen...Ricky Stanzi, Amari Spievey, Brett Greenwood, Anthony Hitchens, Jonathan Babineaux, Bruce Nelson, Rob Bruggeman, Jovan Johnson, Miguel Merrick, Clinton Soloman, Scott Chandler, Mike Humpal, etc, etc, etc.....trust me its a very long list. Your claim basically shows us you know very little about IA football and I'd suggest you bow out of this particular discussion.
EDIT: Just for fun I pulled Rivals database and I have your 2nd dozen ready if you'd like. It includes current NFL players Brandon Myers, Micah Hyde, and Mike Daniels. There's some really good players on it. Wanna see it?
This post was edited on 2/7 7:00 PM by thejazzcat

FG is a poser. He really isn't a Hawk fan so him not knowing any better makes sense. isu has so few that make the NFL he just doesn't know any better.

Don't worry FG each time you claim you are a Hawk fan I will quote this thread that proves otherwise. Won't his be fun FG?

FG is a poser. He really isn't a Hawk fan so him not knowing any better makes sense. isu has so few that make the NFL he just doesn't know any better.

Don't worry FG each time you claim you are a Hawk fan I will quote this thread that proves otherwise. Won't his be fun FG?
I've been playing along to see if him/her would get cocky and start spewing crap. One thing I've noticed is that FG has been very careful not to give himself/herself away like FG did on the rivalry board. It's funny that many others are starting to catch on. Why FG does this, I have no idea, but it's weird.

did I miss something or did Rivals start to use a players potential to make it to the NFL as a criteria in the star rankings?

Originally posted by Hawkeye2222:
did I miss something or did Rivals start to use a players potential to make it to the NFL as a criteria in the star rankings?
Yes, since 2013. Interestingly, a 3 star is deemed to have pro potential.

QB Weigers was a 4* in the 2014 class
ATH Scheel was a 4* in the 2014 class
looks like they got acouple of the skill payers that IA as been missing on

WR Smith a TX top 100 and from the .,looks of it he is only 12 players short of being a 4* and that's not at his position

getting these from TX
LB Jinning, LB Garbutt, WR Ogwo and WR Smith

then these from Alabama RB Graham, WR Falconer from FLA and Slater from MO all southern states is a good step in the right direction

Getting a top rated player reguardless of position out of OH to choose IA over O$U and Alabama is another step in the right direction of improved recruiting, despite what the class rankings say.

The only way for Clark to leave early is if his clock didn't start until 1999.

Feel free to prove the QC Times article wrong.

Good luck.
I already did. I am pretty sure the UI athletic department knows.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT