ADVERTISEMENT

Is it time to go back to normal?

I havent missed a day of work since starting my career 15 years ago. Never felt that sick, but if I test positive for covid, yes I will be out.
Cool but how is staying home when sick in any way part of us not getting back to normal? It sounds like you're mad there are a lot of people out due to being sick: that's because we're in a pandemic, not because of some bad policy. If anything the new CDC quarantine guidance swings too far in the direction of getting people back to work quicker than they should.

There's no going back to normal. Too many people who aren't adapting to data as it comes out, along with changes due to the variants. Too many people who prefer to live in fear, or it's just their nature to be fearful. Too many people trust everything spewed by the government and politicians no matter what the science says. Too many people looking at the worst case scenario instead of understanding everyday risks, and how viruses historically mutate over time.

You keep saying these kind of things and you're wrong. People don't prefer to live in fear. There is going to be fear because there's a pandemic. Everyone's situation is different and if people want to protect themselves, they have every right to do it. When you have one of your best friends die, it leaves a mark. Even with his death, I still go out to stores and do what I need to, but I'm not going to put my life at risk so that you (and others) can get your precious life back.

Maybe if the unvaccinated had more fear we'd be closer to everyone vaccinated and the hospitals wouldn't be overrun. That would be one way to help hospitals to get back to normal.

• Haha
Reactions: Pinehawk
Cool but how is staying home when sick in any way part of us not getting back to normal? It sounds like you're mad there are a lot of people out due to being sick: that's because we're in a pandemic, not because of some bad policy. If anything the new CDC quarantine guidance swings too far in the direction of getting people back to work quicker than they should.
Not placing blame anywhere. Simply stating that when things were "normal" you wouldnt consistently see bunch of co-workers out for 10 days at a time. And when things were "normal" you wouldnt have illness keep entire schools home for weeks/months at a time. So until those things dont happen, things likely wont feel "normal." Not taking a side on if its right or not, simply asking the OP question.

I have followed all the guidelines. I am vaccinated and have booster shot. When I was told to stay home, I stayed home. However, the reality is this is never going away and 50 percent of the country are idiots and will never get vaccinated. Is it time to just go back to the way it was before the pandemic? I just want life, work, sports, etc back to normal. Maybe I am wrong. Hard to say.
Mine never really changed. Continue to do all of the same things the same way I did before covid. Only thing I wish would change already is being strongly encouraged to wear a mask. Got the vaccine and a few months later had to wear a mask again.

We have it going around my work.

People are coming in with "colds" that I am sure is covid, but what do you do?

People can't afford no pay for 2 weeks.
Our receptionist, despite being vaccinated and boosted, was completely wiped out. She didn't come back until she had a negative test. The other guy in my department has been anti-vax and "virus is a hoax" the entire time. I talked to him last Wednesday and he sounded like he was dying. He felt better over the weekend and then has been wiped out again the past couple days. I have been the only one in the office every day for the past month, had to cancel my one day of holiday PTO since everyone else was either on vacation or sick.

Our people have the option to work from home. It isn't like being at home for two weeks with no pay. That said, they have to be well enough to work and produce results with what they're doing.

As for "what to do", I am isolating from everyone and working in a room only I have used the past few weeks. I don't have the luxury of getting sick or being careless at this point.

Places that aren't back to normal absolutely baffles me. We have been back to 100% in person schooling since August 2020 and masks came off the kids in May 2021. That was the last bit of COVID precaution we have had in our everyday lives. We took a trip to Lake Tahoe in July 2021 and the only COVID measure was we had to wear a mask on the airplane. Flying isn't an everyday thing for us so wearing a mask was not a big issue. Even on the California side of Tahoe, there were no COVID measures in place. Attended 3 Hawkeye football games this year. The basketball game at the Pentagon in Sioux Falls was stellar. Kids are all in school. No masks. Life is BAU around here.

Reactions: hawkland14
I cannot even walk from my office to the copy machine without putting on a mask. The only time I don't have to wear a mask is in my car, or when I get home. Even though I'm fully vaccinated.
Every business in Iowa City requires them. They are mandated in our county. They are mandated in our schools.

That's part of what is so ridiculous. Everyone saying, 'things are normal for me', meanwhile areas like here are still under mandates and restrictions yet things aren't all that different from place to place.

You keep saying these kind of things and you're wrong. People don't prefer to live in fear. There is going to be fear because there's a pandemic. Everyone's situation is different and if people want to protect themselves, they have every right to do it. When you have one of your best friends die, it leaves a mark. Even with his death, I still go out to stores and do what I need to, but I'm not going to put my life at risk so that you (and others) can get your precious life back.

Maybe if the unvaccinated had more fear we'd be closer to everyone vaccinated and the hospitals wouldn't be overrun. That would be one way to help hospitals to get back to normal.
I'm sorry you don't recognize it.

If you want an illustration, just look at the lines of people wanting to get tested.

News flash - vaccinated people are getting infected and spreading the virus. Vaccination effectiveness wanes sharply in a relatively short period of time. Vaccines aren't particularly effective against omicron, and there's even some evidence the vaccines suppress immunity against omicron.

You have an entrenched position. I do not. I'm willing to change as more information comes out.

I'm sorry you don't recognize it.

If you want an illustration, just look at the lines of people wanting to get tested.

News flash - vaccinated people are getting infected and spreading the virus. Vaccination effectiveness wanes sharply in a relatively short period of time. Vaccines aren't particularly effective against omicron, and there's even some evidence the vaccines suppress immunity against omicron.

You have an entrenched position. I do not. I'm willing to change as more information comes out.

People are being tested because they want to know and don't want to spread the virus. You have a problem with that? Are you really just wanting everyone to act like there's no virus and go about their life?

I agree with vaccinated people are getting and spreading the virus. Again, all the more reason to get tested and not to spread it if you have it. Are you really trying to take the position that people shouldn't care about Covid?

People are being tested because they want to know and don't want to spread the virus. You have a problem with that? Are you really just wanting everyone to act like there's no virus and go about their life?

I agree with vaccinated people are getting and spreading the virus. Again, all the more reason to get tested and not to spread it if you have it. Are you really trying to take the position that people shouldn't care about Covid?

If someone thinks they have Covid, all they have to do is stay home sick for 5 days, and then come back to work with a mask for the next 5 days. That meets the current CDC guidance. No need for a test.
If you think you have, it, just act like you do. It's not that hard.
If you need to show proof to your employer, that would be different.
But, otherwise, the test doesn't do anything for you that you couldn't already do yourself.

But you stated some studies show a 60%-80% asymptomatic rate. How do they know they were infected yet asymptomatic without testing them?

Reactions: ClarindaA's
You can see in this thread why we can't get back to normal. There are a lot of people who are determined not to let us.

You can't get back to normal because there's a pandemic. Blaming other people isn't going to help your situation. Until the virus stops filling up the hospitals, you're not going to get your normal back.

Some of you people have lost a sense of reality when dealing with situations. You seem to be able to make up a new reality in your mind and think everyone else should believe it too. You can't even accept an election as truth. You can't accept there's a pandemic. You just act like it doesn't exist and everyone else should too. If KF went to the podium after the Kentucky game and declared Iowa won, you might actually believe it.

Yes and no. Yes butfor concerns with alleviating pressure on the medical system.

I think just about everybody, in spirit, is a yes right now.

She’s right if a asymptomatic people stay home. Everything will shut down…

Yeah, the vast majority of these infections are going to be mild. But we're not used to dealing with the fact that this is going to be our future. We'll deal with covid every year and we'll eventually stop caring so much about the diagnosis -- it'll just be another upper respiratory bug for most people. The old and infirm will have to take special care, but, the rest will be able to start caring much less.

Some people already see this future.

People are getting tested because they are afraid.

https://www.google.com/search?q=tes...5DgMQ_AUoAXoECAEQAw&biw=1163&bih=525&dpr=1.65

If someone thinks they have Covid, all they have to do is stay home sick for 5 days, and then come back to work with a mask for the next 5 days. That meets the current CDC guidance. No need for a test.
If you think you have, it, just act like you do. It's not that hard.
If you need to show proof to your employer, that would be different.
But, otherwise, the test doesn't do anything for you that you couldn't already do yourself.

Why does it bother you that people want to get tested? Most people don't live alone and want to know if they have it because they could impact others.

You can't get back to normal because there's a pandemic. Blaming other people isn't going to help your situation. Until the virus stops filling up the hospitals, you're not going to get your normal back.

Some of you people have lost a sense of reality when dealing with situations. You seem to be able to make up a new reality in your mind and think everyone else should believe it too. You can't even accept an election as truth. You can't accept there's a pandemic. You just act like it doesn't exist and everyone else should too. If KF went to the podium after the Kentucky game and declared Iowa won, you might actually believe it.

It's not a pandemic anymore. We are starting year 3. It is endemic now and time to live with it.

Reactions: BelemNole
There's no going back to normal. Too many people who aren't adapting to data as it comes out, along with changes due to the variants. Too many people who prefer to live in fear, or it's just their nature to be fearful. Too many people trust everything spewed by the government and politicians no matter what the science says. Too many people looking at the worst case scenario instead of understanding everyday risks, and how viruses historically mutate over time.
Not everyone is a well educated highly empathetic liberal woman with an anxiety problem

More and more people care less everyday.

That's great. What are you complaining about? You might want to have a talk with Finance85 because he/she thinks everyone is scared and it's never going to end.

I believe there is a pandemic.

I don't believe our mitigation efforts are particularly effective.

Most people want to be tested so they can go to work, travel, and not spread the virus. I understand that you need someone to blame for all of this, and so you've chosen to label your enemy as "scared people", but that doesn't make it true. But if it makes you feel better, go ahead.
Scared people aren't my enemy, they're just scared people. That's not another example of you making leaps of logic.

If it makes you feel better to be scared, it really doesn't matter to me unless you try to inflict emotional decisions on me that aren't warranted.

That's great. What are you complaining about? You might want to have a talk with Finance85 because he/she thinks everyone is scared and it's never going to end.
Everyone? "Too many people" isn't everyone.

You're getting kind of emotional here.

I mean what I say. If you want a discussion, try not putting words in my mouth that I didn't say.

Scared people aren't my enemy, they're just scared people. That's not another example of you making leaps of logic.

If it makes you feel better to be scared, it really doesn't matter to me unless you try to inflict emotional decisions on me that aren't warranted.

Who are these scared people and how are they inflicting emotional decisions on you?

Who are these scared people and how are they inflicting emotional decisions on you?
I posted a link of who they are.

Emotional decisions are being mad all around you. I define those as decisions made without a good scientific basis.

Everyone? "Too many people" isn't everyone.

You're getting kind of emotional here.

I mean what I say. If you want a discussion, try not putting words in my mouth that I didn't say.

I'm not getting emotional because I'm living my life the way I want. It's people like you that are blaming others and calling people scared.

• Haha
I posted a link of who they are.

Emotional decisions are being mad all around you. I define those as decisions made without a good scientific basis.

You posted a link of pictures. If you want to have an adult conversation you need to not try to label people who think differently from you. Live your life and don't blame others.

You posted a link of pictures. If you want to have an adult conversation you need to not try to label people who think differently from you. Live your life and don't blame others.

Man, that is ironic. I wish the covid fanatics would take that advice.

• Haha
Reactions: SB_SB
Man, that is ironic. I wish the covid fanatics would take that advice.

Why do you care? I thought you were living your life normal and people don't care about covid at this point. Why do you keep complaining? It's almost like your life isn't normal, but that can't be, you said it was normal. You're sending mixed signals, which is it?

Why do you care? I thought you were living your life normal and people don't care about covid at this point. Why do you keep complaining? It's almost like your life isn't normal, but that can't be, you said it was normal. You're sending mixed signals, which is it?
I want to live my normal life. I am not allowed to because of people like you.
I try where I can, but where I live, despite it being the most vaccinated county in the state, we have the most restrictions.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT