ADVERTISEMENT

Is Josh O done?

I wouldn't change the entire philosophy for one or two games a year.
I'm not sure about changing a philosophy but having a big or 2 to act as a rim protector and defender against other bigs that are dominant inside sure wouldn't hurt.

Reactions: KcTo
I'm not sure about changing a philosophy but having a big or 2 to act as a rim protector and defender against other bigs that are dominant inside sure wouldn't hurt.
I agree there but based on Iowa's past defensive efforts it doesn't make sense to have the last line of defense as the only line of defense.

Hoping Ogundele can get 4-5 minutes per half vs Eddy as Rebraca and Murray cant be exposed to defensive fouls and have their offensive contributions impacted

Decent 7 footers or close to, are not rare and Iowa may have one that could be developed at a JC in Iowa. I bet Fran does not spend the time and resources to get him to Iowa City.

• Wow
Reactions: perryhawk
If they win the tourney you may have a point, but I can't name the last champ that had a true center.
Yep, Purdue will inevitably run into a team in the tournament with a 5 man whos about 6'8 and athletic who can shoot 3s and drive that Eddy can't defend and they will lose.

Last edited:
Reactions: Mohawkeye
Not exactly "wow let's go get him" numbers, 5.5 pts and 37% FG . 7 ft and 210 is like a tall bean pole. Maybe film shows more?
Exactly....IF we would get a physical big in the portal, and then had roster space, I think this guy is an intriguing prospect.....but we may not be able to take him.

Hoping Ogundele can get 4-5 minutes per half vs Eddy as Rebraca and Murray cant be exposed to defensive fouls and have their offensive contributions impacted
I won't say it won't happen, but Josh has been away from practice now for about a month and as Fran just stated on his radio show he needs to build up his stamina and get his wind. Not expecting to see Josh playing on Thursday and if we do, I just don't see him impacting the game like he did last year at Purdue.
My feeling is, Riley Mulvey will see some time on the court and how much he plays will be determined by how he plays or if Rebraca gets into foul trouble.
Either way, it will be a monumental task to stay in contention let alone upset the number 1 team in the country on their court.
Just hope no one on the Iowa team gets hurt, Iowa needs everyone on deck the remainder of the season if they have any asperations of playing in the NCAA tournament.

I won't say it won't happen, but Josh has been away from practice now for about a month and as Fran just stated on his radio show he needs to build up his stamina and get his wind. Not expecting to see Josh playing on Thursday and if we do, I just don't see him impacting the game like he did last year at Purdue.
My feeling is, Riley Mulvey will see some time on the court and how much he plays will be determined by how he plays or if Rebraca gets into foul trouble.
Either way, it will be a monumental task to stay in contention let alone upset the number 1 team in the country on their court.
Just hope no one on the Iowa team gets hurt, Iowa needs everyone on deck the remainder of the season if they have any asperations of playing in the NCAA tournament.
ive not heard Frans comments on Ogundele injury or back to practice so it’s entirely possible Ogundele is still unable to go game speed.,

I recall last year IOWA with out Keegan Murray played Purdue close until the final minute of the game,

of course Ogundele went 16 minutes with 5 boards and 7 points,

I agree. I think a lot of fans have a fetish for a “true center,” but it’s not as valuable as many make it to be. You need some size, and you need someone who can run the floor. But the traditional behemoth is overrated.
Dont need a true center but someone who has handles that can also defend the rim.

His films show that he is athletically coordinated, especially for his height, but shouldn't that have translated into much more impressive statistics at ECC? Lots of players look exceptional going through unguarded drills or even playing against inferior athletes. He could become a very good player a year or two down the road, but for next year, I believe that Iowa needs to add an experienced big, who has demonstrated he can come in and at least rebound and play defense against high level competition. We have two very promising 4/5 freshman recruits, but they will need help, and I would not count on JoshO or Mulvey for that at this point in their development.

Reactions: shudaddy
Josh is not done.

Hasn't played since Dec 21. I wonder what his cardio will be like on Thursday if/when Fran plays him ;)

Thanks Fran for the updates on Josh.....I don't think he is done either if we can keep him on point with his health and reasons for not getting PT whatever those reasons are. He needs PT....he has skills.

The knee injury appeared legit from my view but it sounds like, and I bet he will play some minutes on Thursday. We sure could use that big body of his just to bang with Edey and to keep him as far away from the rim as possible......just make him feel a bit uncomfortable with his shots at point-blank range to the rim....another big body to absorb some fouls if needed too......

I hope he plays....he has been there before against Edey....

Reactions: Franisdaman
Thanks Fran for the updates on Josh.....I don't think he is done either if we can keep him on point with his health and reasons for not getting PT whatever those reasons are. He needs PT....he has skills.

The knee injury appeared legit from my view but it sounds like, and I bet he will play some minutes on Thursday. We sure could use that big body of his just to bang with Edey and to keep him as far away from the rim as possible......just make him feel a bit uncomfortable with his shots at point-blank range to the rim....another big body to absorb some fouls if needed too......

I hope he plays....he has been there before against Edey....
If he plays, he's going to get chewed up and spit out by Edey, IMO. I hope I'm wrong.

Reactions: DewHawk
Ogundele“s return could be the exact thing IOWA needs to improve its team rebounding an deficiencies (147 recently)
The only rebounding Josh can do is if the ball comes directly at him and he doesn't fumble it away. He is slow to react and has practically no lateral movement and zero jumping ability, other then acting like an immoveable rock against Edey. If Fran inserts him into the game, I'll root for him to do what he can, but I just don't see he being effective being that he hasn't seen playing time since the end of December. Hope he proves me wrong as it would be a game changer if Iowa could pull off an upset.

#1 team in the nation...all hands on deck!
Glad Josh is available.
He could still resurrect his career with 3 more years to contribute.
A duo of Freeman and a fit Josh could give Iowa anice mix of size and skill.

If he plays, he's going to get chewed up and spit out by Edey, IMO. I hope I'm wrong.
Wow .... gee thanks....sort of like the rest of the Bigs that have matched up with him.....:rolleyes:

Have zero idea if Josh is ready or will play, probably not ready yet.....read the post again but if he does play, just hoping he can give us a few productive minutes to fit a rotation at the 5 spot....at his size and at 6/10/11" inches tall with a reach beyond that could make Edey a bit uncomfortable with his movement and shot in the lane......pretty simple...not asking for much and nothing more or less than any other B1G has done defending him.....

Wow .... gee thanks....sort of like the rest of the Bigs that have matched up with him.....:rolleyes:

Have zero idea if Josh is ready or will play, probably not ready yet.....read the post again but if he does play, just hoping he can give us a few productive minutes to fit a rotation at the 5 spot....at his size and at 6/10/11" inches tall with a reach beyond that could make Edey a bit uncomfortable with his movement and shot in the lane......pretty simple...not asking for much and nothing more or less than any other B1G has done defending him.....
Even Josh "in shape" (and he isn't anywhere close to being in game shape...not even for short periods) is slow and can't get off the ground for shit. Edey will shoot over him and around him. Josh, if he plays even a single minute, isn't making Edey uncomfortable. Now...if the plan is to send him in to essentially mug Edey a few times...well perhaps that's an interesting approach. One, however, that won't impact the game in a positive way for the Hawks, IMO.

• Wow
Reactions: KcTo
JoshO can push Edey a little further from the basket, and that can help. I doubt that he can go for more than 3-4 minutes at a time, and unless there is foul trouble, that is all Fran will want.

I wonder if we’ll see Perkins or Ulis play the role of Toussaint vs Edey in the BTT.

Many times in the BTT last year, Toussaint doubled on Edey making him very uncomfortable with the ball. I thought it was very effective. Looked like an elephant with a mouse running around.

Hoping Rebraca and Murray can stay out of foul trouble and Ogundele can give some solid minutes as he’s played with confidence against Purdue in the past. I think this is a bad matchup for Mulvey.

The only rebounding Josh can do is if the ball comes directly at him and he doesn't fumble it away. He is slow to react and has practically no lateral movement and zero jumping ability, other then acting like an immoveable rock against Edey. If Fran inserts him into the game, I'll root for him to do what he can, but I just don't see he being effective being that he hasn't seen playing time since the end of December. Hope he proves me wrong as it would be a game changer if Iowa could pull off an upset.
I agree with some of your takes…
josh played very well at Purdue and their 3 bigs, and did well vs Eddy in particular.

I do hope he healthy and gets a chance to play

Even Josh "in shape" (and he isn't anywhere close to being in game shape...not even for short periods) is slow and can't get off the ground for shit. Edey will shoot over him and around him. Josh, if he plays even a single minute, isn't making Edey uncomfortable. Now...if the plan is to send him in to essentially mug Edey a few times...well perhaps that's an interesting approach. One, however, that won't impact the game in a positive way for the Hawks, IMO.
JoshO can push Edey a little further from the basket, and that can help. I doubt that he can go for more than 3-4 minutes at a time, and unless there is foul trouble, that is all Fran will want.
This above doggy......tks Houston. Like I said, pretty simple but it could help.....

Decent 7 footers or close to, are not rare and Iowa may have one that could be developed at a JC in Iowa. I bet Fran does not spend the time and resources to get him to Iowa City.
You mean other than offering a scholarship and rivals predicting 92% he'll go to Iowa?

We shall see.
You are seeing more than I see. If you cannot dominate at a community college, and he was barely respectable, I don't know why he would be more than a fallback. I would take him as a replacement to develop over our current bench bigs, but we need an experienced big man in the portal a LOT more.

Not exactly "wow let's go get him" numbers, 5.5 pts and 37% FG . 7 ft and 210 is like a tall bean pole. Maybe film shows more?
I really don't care about points but not crazy about the 210lbs.

All I care about from a big is defense and rebounding and that guy has the mobility, length and athleticism at least to be a good defender.

He checks a lot of eye test boxes but no clue how he plays.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT