ADVERTISEMENT

ISU AD doing ISU things again...

Really don't have an interest in getting in the middle of this, but your last statement certainly hit my curiosity. I don't know about Fran at this juncture, but are you really saying for a good part of KF's tenure that if he had decided to leave he wouldn't have had plenty of interest? I'll stand opposed to that opinion. And yes, I understand that Barta did not hire KF, but he certainly has extended his contract a couple of times.
Since that paragraph was completely about our lack of success in basketball I thought it was pretty obvious that wasn't about Kirk at all. If you think that Kirk is still the coach here because of Barta I don't know what to tell you. He gave Kirk a no brainer after 09, and a ridiculous raise/extension/buyout in 2016, when there was no outside pressure for him, at all (I say this as a fan of Kirk). He tops it off with an idiotic buyout, again, for no reason.

https://www.usatoday.com/story/spor...college-football-coaches-contracts/793597001/

And again, I say this as a fan of Kirk.

Barta did not hire Kirk as you've mentioned. He's done what any other AD would do to retain him, with some stupid **** thrown in at 2016.

Would you also be happy with regular 3-win seasons in football? I'd love better success in MBB but top-10 finishes and BCS-level bowls in football are more important to me. That's something Pollard has never even sniffed.
Yeah, thank god for Bowlsby.

200w.gif

So you're giving Pollard credit for sweet sixteens, but not giving credit to Barta for Orange Bowl, Rose Bowl, 2 top-10 finishes.

I can't believe you actually have me defending Barta.
Of course not, are you trying to say he made did something other than walk into a great situation with with a known commodity like Kirk? Pollard hired both coaches that have went to sweet 16s. Barta didn't hire Kirk and if anything, showed how poor his negotiating skills are after 2016. He hasn't done **** besides throwing a bank at Kirk in 2006, a no-brainer extension after 09, and a complete ****up of a deal in 2016 for no reason.

*Edit* I guess while we're here he also was able to cost the AD over 6 million due to incompetence.

Barta's 5 point plan:
1) Keep Kirk happy and give him a raise and extension when nobody is trying to hire him away.
2) Hire a good baseball coach that might bolt at any time and upset our 300 fans.
3) Hire 1 extremely average coach and 1 absolutely horrible coach to get Iowa 3 tournament appearances in 12 years, never getting past the first weekend.
4) Keep Kirk happy.
5) Forget to document poor performance of a crappy coach you retain for 7 seasons and cost school 6+ million.

Yeah, Pretty sure I could pull that off

Last edited:
Of course not. Pollard hired both coaches that have went to sweet 16s. Barta didn't hire Kirk and if anything, shows how poor his negotiating skills are with Kirk. He hasn't done **** besides throwing a bank at Kirk in 2006, a no-brainer extension after 09, and a complete ****up of a deal in 2016 for no reason.

To be clear, I don't think Barta is a good AD. I agree he's not a good negotiator. But he was at least able to hold onto a coach who's achieved major success. I also don't think Pollard is a good AD. Sure he's hired good coaches but he's proven he can't hold onto them.

Reactions: ROCKY MOUNTAIN HAWK
I don't think Barta is a good AD. Mainly with Fran. However, ISU fans worship JP who just wants to get to Wisconsin. Lost Hoiberg and Sanderson. The 2 best coaches they had in years if ever at those sports. Great went to the Liberty Bowl in your top 5 best season ever and lost to Iowa at home against a mediocre Iowa team who had the same record with a harder schedule and will have more players drafted again for the 40th straight year. Finished dead last in basketball. And great wrestling program ISU. JP is like all ISU fans. Delusional. Difference is JP and Campbell are about gone.

I agree. First off neither Pollard or Barta are that great of ADs. But I don’t get the notion of why some think Pollard is that good. So he expanded jack trice but Barta in process of revamping kinnick and have a new great football facility. So not like he’s doing something that Iowa or most other schools are doing with upgrade to facilities.

Under pollards watch he’s hired McDermott, got lucky to have there alum hoiberg to come back only to spurn him and use as a stepping stone for the nba. Book still out on Prohm did well with last guys players but not so much last season. Football hired chizik who left after 2 years then brought in Rhoads. For all those ripping on KF contract extension, which I agree he over did, let us not forget Pollard’s 10 year $20 million to Rhoads after upsetting OSU. Setting up for a nice buyout when letting him go where team just spiraled down after that. Their Baseball program folded, let Sanderson leave for wrestling to point they only had one guy make nationals this year.

On top of all of this is a guy who made a fool of himself by getting kicked out of a HS b-ball game. gets in front of media to cry about conspiracies with officiating after losing to Oklahoma st and continues on with stuff like this tweet. So honestly not sure why some think so greatly of Pollard. maybe our AD isn’t worse than yours argument when comparing to Barta other than that they both pretty much suck.

Reactions: HerkyFan
To be clear, I don't think Barta is a good AD. I agree he's not a good negotiator. But he was at least able to hold onto a coach who's achieved major success. I also don't think Pollard is a good AD. Sure he's hired good coaches but he's proven he can't hold onto them.

And here is why he was able to retain Kirk. And as we've talked about earlier, donations aren't flooding in because of Gary Barta.

http://awfulannouncing.com/ncaa/the...-the-lead-may-provide-a-competitive-edge.html
http://www.businessinsider.com/schools-most-revenue-college-sports-2016-10

Reactions: blhawk
Gotcha. Gonzo's requirements for new AD when a big name school finally comes to their senses and snags Barta away:

1) Pay lots of money, even when you don't need to.
2) See requirement 1.

giphy.gif

When a big name school comes to its senses and snags Barta away I'll drive him to the airport.

Reactions: NorthDSMHawk
I agree. First off neither Pollard or Barta are that great of ADs. But I don’t get the notion of why some think Pollard is that good. So he expanded jack trice but Barta in process of revamping kinnick and have a new great football facility. So not like he’s doing something that Iowa or most other schools are doing with upgrade to facilities.

Under pollards watch he’s hired McDermott, got lucky to have there alum hoiberg to come back only to spurn him and use as a stepping stone for the nba. Book still out on Prohm did well with last guys players but not so much last season. Football hired chizik who left after 2 years then brought in Rhoads. For all those ripping on KF contract extension, which I agree he over did, let us not forget Pollard’s 10 year $20 million to Rhoads after upsetting OSU. Setting up for a nice buyout when letting him go where team just spiraled down after that. Their Baseball program folded, let Sanderson leave for wrestling to point they only had one guy make nationals this year.

On top of all of this is a guy who made a fool of himself by getting kicked out of a HS b-ball game. gets in front of media to cry about conspiracies with officiating after losing to Oklahoma st and continues on with stuff like this tweet. So honestly not sure why some think so greatly of Pollard. maybe our AD isn’t worse than yours argument when comparing to Barta other than that they both pretty much suck.

You mean it isn’t normal for a P5 AD to be ejected from a HS basketball game for being a douche? Who knew, nobody knew. But clown fans are sure he is awesome.

I don't get all the attention to Pollard. He's 50/50 on hiring decent coaches and like Barta, he's benefitted from big $$$ tv contracts.
He wants to succeed Alvarez if he ever leaves. Wisconsin will shoot higher.

Reactions: mwhiton52
Hey, he may have been kicked out of high school basketball game, but at least he accused BIG XII officials of having a conspiracy against Iowa State.

Yes like the Texas Ten really needs game officials to keep little bro down. No wonder clown fans are always chirping about how the refs beat them not the other team. It comes straight form the AD’s mouth.

Last edited:
Yes like the Texas Ten really needs game officials to keep little bro down. No wonder clown fans are always chirping about how the refs beat them not the other team. It comes straight form the AD’s mouth.
Hey, he totally redeemed himself by publicly criticizing basketball players for transferring under McDermott, and then hiring Hoiberg to take 16,000 transfers.

I don't think Barta is a good AD. Mainly with Fran. However, ISU fans worship JP who just wants to get to Wisconsin. Lost Hoiberg and Sanderson. The 2 best coaches they had in years if ever at those sports. Great went to the Liberty Bowl in your top 5 best season ever and lost to Iowa at home against a mediocre Iowa team who had the same record with a harder schedule and will have more players drafted again for the 40th straight year. Finished dead last in basketball. And great wrestling program ISU. JP is like all ISU fans. Delusional. Difference is JP and Campbell are about gone.
Out in left field and it is raining hard.....time to get a clue and get inside

I can’t stand JP but one thing he is much better than Barta at is providing hope for the fan base. No matter how sh!tty some of their teams are, they believe they can be successful (and thus pour money into a department that many people would have given up on by now).

Out in left field and it is raining hard.....time to get a clue and get inside

clown fans love Pollard:
He gets tossed from a HS game they applaud
Loses a legend wrestling coach they applaud
Blames refs, gets fined they applaud
Puts up a little bro billboard they applaud
Hires bad coaches they applaud
Still can’t afford baseball they applaud

I say Pollard has worked magic in lames give the man a lifetime contract.

Barta meanwhile has won an award for AD of the year. Of course that doesn’t count because clown fans say so.

If Barta were in Ames, in January Campbell would've been handed a 12 year contract at $8mil per, with a $100k bonus every time he wore an ISU polo, and a buy-out that actually pays MC when he leaves for another job.

Reactions: Eyewejun
If Barta were in Ames, in January Campbell would've been handed a 12 year contract at $8mil per, with a $100k bonus every time he wore an ISU polo, and a buy-out that actually pays MC when he leaves for another job.

How would isu ever be able to pay for any of that? They can’t even afford baseball as it is.

He did sign a new 6 year deal in November.

The reality is neither program is a 'blue blood' Iowa is far closer but neither qualify. When have either of these two generated any interest from a better program? Much like Sally Mason who never made the finalist list of any university after hitting town they have risen to where they belong.

I think Pollard has been a very good AD for ISU.

Whipped up the lil bro fanbase in a lil bro manner. Billboards, cheap tix, antagonizing Iowa, bitching to B12 offices, encouraging the tailgate environment. ISU still lets people go out during halftime, slam some beers, then return late 3rd quarter to watch the cyclones lose.

They do everything they can to improve bball/fball environments. Even if it is tacky.

Iowa athletic department is too busy protecting the status quo and being conservative.

As someone who doesn't follow wrestling or baseball closely (or at all), I'd take those Sweet 16s over anything Barta has had a hand in with his hires. Instead we have had a horrible basketball hire in Lick and a coach that just had a Lick type season in year 8 and got a fat extension for it. I'd rather not even think about what sort of a replacement he would get for Kirk.

But hey, at least our baseball program has a great coach for the 300 people that attend the games. Would be nice to still have the 6+ million he lost the AD to reinvest in the program. However, I'd rather have a couple Sweet 16s, regular tournament appearances, and a packed house for basketball. I'd almost enjoy having a coach try and leave because it means someone wants them. Just an IMO type thing.

Regardless, it won't matter because Pollard would never satisfy my "not be a DB and act professional" stipulation.
How did Prohm just do? Mcdermott turned into a terrible hire, and left. The one thing Pollard had, was Hoiberg fall into his lap and take their bball team to some good years. Fred came to him, he admitted as much on the radio awhile back.

I'm not a fan of Barta, but Jamie has ruined ISU wrestling. Cael didn't like him and left, and he had a terrible hire in Jackson. We will see how Dresser does, but it's like Pollard just said, let's hire a bunch of Iowa coaches and be done with it. Bad hires in Chizik and Rhoads. Campbell has had one decent season, we will see how this really works out in the next year or two.

We just finished 5th in the big ten in money brought in last year, behind the big dogs Michigan, OSU, PSU, and Wisconsin. This is something, and makes the 6 Million he lost, peanuts at this point. Our football stadium, facilities, baseball field, etc have all had major improvements under his guidance. Our baseball team is as good as it's ever been, and just because you don't care, doesn't mean it doesn't matter under Gary's job description.

Again, I'm not a fan of Barta by any means, and could care less if we fired him, but he has done some nice things here.

What's the difference? You think Pollard has achieved more athletic program success across the board?

Since the director's cup is the only real measuring stick we have to measure an athletic program's success, we can us it. As of 04/12/2018, ISU is 40th in the director's cup standings for 2017-2018 and Iowa is 60th.

Before Jamie Pollard took over at ISU as AD, their athletic program was abysmal. Iowa's athletic program was clearly better than ISU's. Since he has taken over, ISU's athletic program is now comparable to Iowa's most years. ISU has even blown Iowa out in the standings in some years.

Being that ISU is ISU, this speaks volumes about how good of an AD Pollard is, and It speaks to how blah of an AD Barta is because Iowa hasn't improved that athletics standing over the years. Barta has just maintained, while Pollard has improved his athletic program.

So to answer your question, YES, Pollard has achieved more athletic program success than Barta has. He's clearly the better AD.

How did Prohm just do? Mcdermott turned into a terrible hire, and left. The one thing Pollard had, was Hoiberg fall into his lap and take their bball team to some good years. Fred came to him, he admitted as much on the radio awhile back.
Better than our coach just did in year 8, right after a couple of tournament appearances including a Sweet 16. The guy had like 7 players this year and still was able to beat us head to head and beat like 3 ranked teams. I see them as favorites next year as well, what say you?

Well as someone beat me to the punch just added 6 years on to his current coach's contract for winning 8 games. He also extended Rhoads for 10 years $20+ million after upsetting Oklahoma St which had a nice little buyout they had to pay. So yeah as much as Barta has over reacted with extensions Pollard hasn't done much better.

I'm not a fan of Barta, but Jamie has ruined ISU wrestling. Cael didn't like him and left, and he had a terrible hire in Jackson. We will see how Dresser does, but it's like Pollard just said, let's hire a bunch of Iowa coaches and be done with it. Bad hires in Chizik and Rhoads. Campbell has had one decent season, we will see how this really works out in the next year or two.

We just finished 5th in the big ten in money brought in last year, behind the big dogs Michigan, OSU, PSU, and Wisconsin. This is something, and makes the 6 Million he lost, peanuts at this point. Our football stadium, facilities, baseball field, etc have all had major improvements under his guidance. Our baseball team is as good as it's ever been, and just because you don't care, doesn't mean it doesn't matter under Gary's job description.

Again, I'm not a fan of Barta by any means, and could care less if we fired him, but he has done some nice things here.

I 100% mean this with respect and intrigue. I have been asking around about "what has barta done?" And you seem fairly knowledgeable whereas I do not pay attention to his daily workings. Other than money, what would you point too as an advancement Barta has made for the culture/prestige of the athletic department? I do not mean this in anyway to be confrontational I truly would like an example of something Mr. Barta has done that Joe average AD would not have been able to do by just sitting in that desk every day. Tia.

I seriously doubt there are a sizable number of Hawkeye fans that actually follow this douche-nozzle on twitter. What a maroon!

I linked over to his twitter page and his biggest tweet of the week was taking a dig at the BTN and Comcast coverage. Jamie needs to quit obsessing over all things Hawkeye, it's really quite embarrassing to his own institution.

I don't know how many follow him, but there are Hawk fans that respond to basically every post he makes on twitter. Sometimes with some just absolutely horrible stuff.

I don't know how many follow him, but there are Hawk fans that respond to basically every post he makes on twitter. Sometimes with some just absolutely horrible stuff.

I don't care who you are. If you put things on social media someone is probably going to comment on it. If you can't handle that, don't post on social media.

Well then, it's settled. Obviously the professional thing to do with those handful of morons is to engage with them on Twitter and continue to troll them.

Again, perfect fit for ISU.

clown fans love Pollard:
He gets tossed from a HS game they applaud
Loses a legend wrestling coach they applaud
Blames refs, gets fined they applaud
Puts up a little bro billboard they applaud
Hires bad coaches they applaud
Still can’t afford baseball they applaud

I say Pollard has worked magic in lames give the man a lifetime contract.

Barta meanwhile has won an award for AD of the year. Of course that doesn’t count because clown fans say so.

Jamie definitely has some strikes against him. He has hired a lot of coaches that didn't work out. But let's be honest, hiring a football coach at ISU is a tough job. I absolutely did not like the McD hire in basketball and was proved right on that one. I'm still on the fence on Prohm but I like how the team looks currently.

Find me one Cyclone fan that is happy about his bad hires or him getting tossed from a high school game and it'd be the first.

It's unfortunate he lost coaches like Sanderson in wrestling and KJ Kindler in gymnastics, who are two of the best coaches in their sport. However, he lost them because he was unwilling to sink millions of dollars into 3rd tier sports which is exactly the right choice.

As far as baseball goes, if they added it I'd watch as many ISU baseball games as I do now.

Reactions: BlackNGoldBleeder
Since the director's cup is the only real measuring stick we have to measure an athletic program's success, we can us it. As of 04/12/2018, ISU is 40th in the director's cup standings for 2017-2018 and Iowa is 60th.

Before Jamie Pollard took over at ISU as AD, their athletic program was abysmal. Iowa's athletic program was clearly better than ISU's. Since he has taken over, ISU's athletic program is now comparable to Iowa's most years. ISU has even blown Iowa out in the standings in some years.

Being that ISU is ISU, this speaks volumes about how good of an AD Pollard is, and It speaks to how blah of an AD Barta is because Iowa hasn't improved that athletics standing over the years. Barta has just maintained, while Pollard has improved his athletic program.

So to answer your question, YES, Pollard has achieved more athletic program success than Barta has. He's clearly the better AD.

Despite Pollard's efforts, the clones still rank 60th out of the 65 Power 5 schools in total revenue. Just sayin'...

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT