ADVERTISEMENT

ISU AD doing ISU things again...

I don't care who you are. If you put things on social media someone is probably going to comment on it. If you can't handle that, don't post on social media.

I agree, he's kind of a baby on twitter. I was responding to the guy that said he doubts many hawk fans follow him. I don't know what the numbers are, but there are many who do and some of them say some pretty vile stuff.

If you go to his followers and just search for hawk, you get quite a few pretty quick actually.

I agree, he's kind of a baby on twitter. I was responding to the guy that said he doubts many hawk fans follow him. I don't know what the numbers are, but there are many who do and some of them say some pretty vile stuff.

If you go to his followers and just search for hawk, you get quite a few pretty quick actually.
Luckily for us those irresponsible people who say vile things on Twitter don't have the nuclear football.

Reactions: dekhawk
Better than our coach just did in year 8, right after a couple of tournament appearances including a Sweet 16. The guy had like 7 players this year and still was able to beat us head to head and beat like 3 ranked teams. I see them as favorites next year as well, what say you?
You mean Prohm's first year without being carried by Hoiberg leftovers? Your entire argument for disliking Barta, is to skip over all other things that put him in a good light, and bring up our one year of bad basketball? I'd be willing to bet they will in fact not be favorites when coming into Carver this year. What say you?

Reactions: ROCKY MOUNTAIN HAWK
Despite Pollard's efforts, the clones still rank 60th out of the 65 Power 5 schools in total revenue. Just sayin'...

And if ISU had as many fans and donors as Iowa, they would pull in a lot more revenue. If ISU was in the BIG, they would pull in more revenue because of the revenue sharing and BTN. There's a reason for their low ranking. Just sayin'...

I 100% mean this with respect and intrigue. I have been asking around about "what has barta done?" And you seem fairly knowledgeable whereas I do not pay attention to his daily workings. Other than money, what would you point too as an advancement Barta has made for the culture/prestige of the athletic department? I do not mean this in anyway to be confrontational I truly would like an example of something Mr. Barta has done that Joe average AD would not have been able to do by just sitting in that desk every day. Tia.
It is hard to say what average Joe would do, considering average Joe isn't in charge, but I will try. Again, I'm not a big Barta supporter, I'm more just comparing Barta with JP in regards to how they have done with coaching hires. Unless I'm not understanding his job, he has pushed for the North Endzone reconstruction, among other fixes awhile back to Kinnick. Revamped the baseball field, and also build the new indoor facilities. Again, could average Joe have done that, sure. But we don't know because he isn't in charge.

And if ISU had as many fans and donors as Iowa, they would pull in a lot more revenue. If ISU was in the BIG, they would pull in more revenue because of the revenue sharing and BTN. There's a reason for their low ranking. Just sayin'...
Apparently someone wasn't notified of ISU have a larger number of students.

Reactions: GarryO37
Pollard's tweet is just a perfect example for KF to show as an example of why he has the Twitter ban. If the AD of a Big 12 university is petty enough to tweet something like this just think of how 18-22 year old kids will react.

Plus as dumb as Iowa fans are to tweet him we've seen how Patrick McCaffery a HS junior has gotten some bad stuff as well and all the negative stuff college athletes have had over the years from fans and opposing fans.

Reactions: BigOHawk
Jamie definitely has some strikes against him. He has hired a lot of coaches that didn't work out. But let's be honest, hiring a football coach at ISU is a tough job. I absolutely did not like the McD hire in basketball and was proved right on that one. I'm still on the fence on Prohm but I like how the team looks currently.

Find me one Cyclone fan that is happy about his bad hires or him getting tossed from a high school game and it'd be the first.

It's unfortunate he lost coaches like Sanderson in wrestling and KJ Kindler in gymnastics, who are two of the best coaches in their sport. However, he lost them because he was unwilling to sink millions of dollars into 3rd tier sports which is exactly the right choice.

As far as baseball goes, if they added it I'd watch as many ISU baseball games as I do now.

Clown fans simply ignore the negatives Pollard has had just look at psycotwins posts.

Pollard's tweet is just a perfect example for KF to show as an example of why he has the Twitter ban. If the AD of a Big 12 university is petty enough to tweet something like this just think of how 18-22 year old kids will react.

Plus as dumb as Iowa fans are to tweet him we've seen how Patrick McCaffery a HS junior has gotten some bad stuff as well and all the negative stuff college athletes have had over the years from fans and opposing fans.

Speaking of Twitter ban did you see what the Michigan player was tweeting at Jim harbaugh last night?

Nothing gets you kicked off a team faster than threatening the coaches life.
Check out @FootballScoop’s Tweet:

Well at least Iowa fans are to a certain degree having a level of objectivity. I don't like Barta as our AD but that mainly stems from the Fran deal. But there is good back and forth as the fundraising has been great under Barta. I glanced at CF and they are all on their knees either worshipping or blowing Pollard. It is hysterical. You are 60 out of 65 P5 teams in revenue. You have a historic season and yet went to the Liberty Bowl and had the same record as a mediocre Iowa team who you lost to at home. Your basketball team finished last in the Big 12. Your wrestling team sent a whopping 1 to the tourney. And your AD, the frickin' head of your sports programs, is trolling Iowa Hawks in support of "at least Iowa fans now notice us" mantra. Dear God that is so embarrassing. I was not kidding when I said he was either hacked or drunk. Not only to engage in trolling as an AD but your whole point was now because Iowa fans follow me on Twitter ISU has somehow now arrived?! I seriously don't know how any objective Cyclone fan is not just totally cringing. This is as bad as the billboards and free ticket give-aways.

Reactions: iahawkeyes17

And he loves every minute of it. He wants those morons to tweet to him. Otherwise he wouldn't be doing it or responding to it.

Reactions: David1979
And he loves every minute of it. He wants those morons to tweet to him. Otherwise he wouldn't be doing it or responding to it.

I've heard him interviewed where he talks about how it bothers him. Believe it or not, the guy is pretty thin-skinned.

You are the first willing to admit the negatives even exist.

I think that there are things hawk fans think are negatives that aren't, and I think that changes how we as Cyclone fans view things.

For example, you clearly think him not hanging on to Sanderson or not having baseball is a negative. I think building a facility like they have at Penn State or building the necessary baseball facility would be a tremendous mistake.

I think you guys think the billboard or reduced ticket prices are a mistake, but I disagree, both of those got ISU fans excited or buying tickets that may not have in the past. When Pollard took over I think ISU had barely over 20K season ticket holders for football. We haven't had a ton of success but now have over 40k season ticket holders... that is a tremendous job.

You may consider it bush league or low class, but it clearly WORKS, and at ISU we have to do what works.

I think that there are things hawk fans think are negatives that aren't, and I think that changes how we as Cyclone fans view things.

For example, you clearly think him not hanging on to Sanderson or not having baseball is a negative. I think building a facility like they have at Penn State or building the necessary baseball facility would be a tremendous mistake.

I think you guys think the billboard or reduced ticket prices are a mistake, but I disagree, both of those got ISU fans excited or buying tickets that may not have in the past. When Pollard took over I think ISU had barely over 20K season ticket holders for football. We haven't had a ton of success but now have over 40k season ticket holders... that is a tremendous job.

You may consider it bush league or low class, but it clearly WORKS, and at ISU we have to do what works.

Does it work? One of the bottom 5-10 P5 revenue doesn’t sell me. Increasing tickets sold while not furthering stability doesn’t impress one bit.

Last edited:
I've heard him interviewed where he talks about how it bothers him. Believe it or not, the guy is pretty thin-skinned.

Interesting. I recently called a friend thin-skinned because she is offended that people comment on her posts. Yet she keeps posting. But the thing is she posts constantly about personal things, kids, etc. Strange mind-set for sure. I suppose he somehow justifies tweeting no matter what kind of responses he gets. Here's the kicker though, if he baits Hawk fans as shown by the op he doesn't get to claim he's the victim.

Reactions: HerkyFan
ISUBryce - well put. I think there is no way about it, JP is a salesman and knows what people want to hear. And the easiest way to get a positive ISU reaction is to go after Iowa. Simple as that. Poke the bear (or bear fans). And he has definitely made ISU more relevant at least with Campbell there for football. But you have to admit, it does look a little strange for him to go after some random tweet from an Iowa fan that related by the way to wrestling and use that as support to argue, "look Iowa does notice our existence."

Does it work? 60th out 65 for P5 revenue doesn’t sell me. Increasing tickets sold while not furthering stability doesn’t impress one bit.

Pollard has definitely fired up their fanbase and keeps it stoked. I'll give him that. Barta injects as much excitement into UI athletics as a bowl of lukewarm oatmeal. I still think neither are a very good AD.

Reactions: iahawkeyes17
You mean 1) Prohm's first year without being carried by Hoiberg leftovers? Your entire argument for disliking Barta, is to skip over all other things that put him in a good light, 2) and bring up our one year of bad basketball? I'd be willing to bet they will in fact not be favorites when coming into Carver this year. What say you?
1) Sure, if that is what you want to call it. His best players this year were guys he has brought in with a ton of upside. I sure as hell would take a true PG like Wigginton any day. Instead, we had a guy fill in there this year that will be a 2 guard at Drake next year. And again I'll say, even with his first year without Hoiberg guys, the guy still had a more successful season than Fran did, in year 8. I'd also take a coach that I wasn't continuously embarrassed by, but Fran's antics are a whole different conversation.

2) One year of bad basketball? Where the hell have you been since Alford?

BTW I think both AD's generally suck. So if JP is the taller midget great. The difference is that most Iowa fans don't think GB is good but 95% of Clone fans think Pollard walks on water. I mean my God they went 8-5 in football and lost their Super Bowl at home to a very average Iowa team who also finished 8-5 with a harder schedule and this was a "hugely successful year" for ISU, finished last in their conference in basketball, and have a wrestling team who only got 1 wrestler to nationals?! And he spends his time trolling anonymous Iowa fans? I mean really? Like I said, he is smart. You do anything anti-Iowa and the ISU fan base goes crazy. Look at CF, PsychoTwins and his minions are still posting more on Hawk football recruiting and Hawk basketball then they are on the Clones. Pathetic, sad and definition of little brother for sure. Funny now I know why PsychoTwins tweets at Hawk recruits, high school kids and poses as a Hawk fan. He follows his AD's lead who trolls Hawks. Unreal.

I think Pollard is a very good AD. I think he's made some mistakes but they all have.

The down year was coming in basketball for a long time, the transfers/grad transfers worked great for a long while but we paid the piper this year. I expect to be back to the NCAA's next year. Wrestling they will suck and will probably suck for a long time.

I think Pollard is a very good AD. I think he's made some mistakes but they all have.

The down year was coming in basketball for a long time, the transfers/grad transfers worked great for a long while but we paid the piper this year. I expect to be back to the NCAA's next year. Wrestling they will suck and will probably suck for a long time.

I feel that Pollard is a good salesman and a below average AD. Most ADs don't replace as many coaches as he has had to do and still have a job. What he did to that wrestling program should never be forgotten, but most ISU fans could care less about wrestling now. Unreal.

Jamie definitely has some strikes against him. He has hired a lot of coaches that didn't work out. But let's be honest, hiring a football coach at ISU is a tough job. I absolutely did not like the McD hire in basketball and was proved right on that one. I'm still on the fence on Prohm but I like how the team looks currently.

Find me one Cyclone fan that is happy about his bad hires or him getting tossed from a high school game and it'd be the first.

It's unfortunate he lost coaches like Sanderson in wrestling and KJ Kindler in gymnastics, who are two of the best coaches in their sport. However, he lost them because he was unwilling to sink millions of dollars into 3rd tier sports which is exactly the right choice.

As far as baseball goes, if they added it I'd watch as many ISU baseball games as I do now.
Just wanted to say it's nice to have a Cyclone fan on here with some sense.

Iowa State would not be suddenly in the top 30 schools in revenue if they had Big Ten money. Between the two leagues the payouts have been similar from the conferences, until next year, when the big new media rights deal kicks in for the Big Ten, which will increase the gulf between our programs again.

Iowa usually out-raises Iowa State by about $40 million in ticket revenue and donations per year.

Jamie Pollard is not a good athletic director. Iowa State is in a lot of trouble long-term because of him. He's made a lot of short-sighted decisions regarding facilities management that will affect that department for years after he leaves. Despite spending like a drunken sailor, he's failed to bring Iowa State's facilities into the 21st century.

Barta sucks at negotiating with coaches and generally in regards to being a people leader. However the Iowa athletic department is good at football and is a financial success and that's something to hold onto, unlike Iowa St.

I feel that Pollard is a good salesman and a below average AD. Most ADs don't replace as many coaches as he has had to do and still have a job. What he did to that wrestling program should never be forgotten, but most ISU fans could care less about wrestling now. Unreal.

Let's look at who he's had to replace in the only sports that matter:

Football: replaced Mac, and while many people disagree here with that it was time. I'll stand by that forever. Hired Chiz, who despite a lack of success went to Auburn which you really can't blame Pollard for. Hired Rhoads who ultimately failed but was a good fit for the program at the time. Hired Campbell who if we are honest will likely leave again shortly. That's just the nature of the beast at a school like ISU. Functionally he's fired one guy who very few ISU fans disagreed with, and had to fire another guy who overall did pretty well at ISU.

Basketball: Fired Morgan, which was pretty much a forgone conclusion for any AD hired. Hired McD, which a lot of people were very excited about, but that was an unmitigated disaster. Hired Hoiberg and Prohm, who I have zero complaints with either.

Wrestling: Cratered, but really made one bad hire, in a sport where ISU's average home dual attendance is around 3,200 per home meet. That's the 6th best in the sport, and roughly 1/3 the amount of people that go see ISU women's basketball. It's a niche sport and should be treated as such. Plus, you're acting like ISU fans have given a crap about wrestling in the past. The '07 season where ISU finished second they averaged 2,330 fans, 1,000 less than they averaged this year. They averaged less than 2,000 several times at the start of the 2000s when we were actually... good.

Every other sport is in a lot better shape under him.

Football: replaced Mac, and while many people disagree here with that it was time. I'll stand by that forever. Hired Chiz, who despite a lack of success went to Auburn which you really can't blame Pollard for. Hired Rhoads who ultimately failed but was a good fit for the program at the time. Hired Campbell who if we are honest will likely leave again shortly. That's just the nature of the beast at a school like ISU. Functionally he's fired one guy who very few ISU fans disagreed with, and had to fire another guy who overall did pretty well at ISU.

Basketball: Fired Morgan, which was pretty much a forgone conclusion for any AD hired. Hired McD, which a lot of people were very excited about, but that was an unmitigated disaster. Hired Hoiberg and Prohm, who I have zero complaints with either.

Wrestling: Cratered, but really made one bad hire, in a sport where ISU's average home dual attendance is around 3,200 per home meet. That's the 6th best in the sport, and roughly 1/3 the amount of people that go see ISU women's basketball. It's a niche sport and should be treated as such. Plus, you're acting like ISU fans have given a crap about wrestling in the past. The '07 season where ISU finished second they averaged 2,330 fans, 1,000 less than they averaged this year. They averaged less than 2,000 several times at the start of the 2000s when we were actually... good.

isu doesn’t appear to be anymore stable today than they have been at any point in their history. I would argue they are less stable just from the perspective of the amount of debt they have taken on with the current admin.

The current conference alignment for isu is not one of equality for all conference players. This makes isu suspectable in the next grant of rights. That brings the debt issue to light. How does isu pay all that debt if their current payout changes substantially to the negative? I am surprised the BOR isn’t more challenging of isu for projects that will have debt that lives beyond the grant of right that is currently in place.

The way to counter act that is to have large reserves or high net income to offset the possible losses or reduce the debt as they go along. It doesn’t appear to be the case for isu either at least if BOR budget documents are to be believed.

On Iowa’s side Barta has been paying down lchunks of debt which has lowered Iowa’s net as a department but has also limited larger negative impacts of that debt if there is a large negative change in the BIG GOR.

What don't ISU fans get? Dear God all they do is compare themselves to Iowa. ISU has a football coach who they reward with a contract after a "historic season" and who lost at home to a mediocre Iowa team with a new starter at QB. ISU finished last in their conference in BB. Their wrestling team qualified 1 out of 10 for the tourney. Fennelly is a joke. Hope the gymnastics, cross country and volleyball teams are good. No baseball of course. And if their fans are so thrilled why does CF have more posts on Iowa than ISU? Last I checked 17k posts on Iowa football recruiting and 1500 on ISU. Over 10k on Iowa basketball and 2k on ISU. They,especially PsychoTwins, are the sickest little brother red-headed stepchild ever. And their AD trolling Iowa fans and gets responses and says "well they now care about us" is a frickin' laughable joke. If Barta ever trolled Clone fans and said now we must be relevant I would say that is grounds for termination more so than even the Fran contract.

Insightful info, I didn't realize Barta was only AD here for the 5 seasons of 2012-2017.
He hired the reigning coach of the year, who exceeded the worst expectations ever, in Lick. He fired him and made a correction with Fran. The Lickliter hire was good at the time. Nobody, NOBODY would have predicted, how bad Lickliter would run down Iowa Bball. Using post-hire 20/20 vision to formulate an argument is just silly. I'd imagine you were ecstatic over the Lick hire, and now bash GB later. Pretty common with most experts on here, and I know you won't admit it.

Back to the overall topic on this matter. The AD jobs between ISU and Iowa are very different. JP's job at ISU was/is to develop a pretty apathetic fanbase, into one that actually cares about it's sports. He's doing that through quirky gimics, and antics, but he has to do stuff like this to build that fanbase. Barta stepped into a program with a fan base built. He doesn't have to do stuff like that, he just has to maintain the fan base while raising a sh**load of money. I don't fault JP for how he's done things.

Reactions: ichawk24

If you fire the most successful coach ISU has ever had, you better hit a homerun. But instead he hired Chizik, whom he would have had to fired very shortly had Pollard not been bailed out by Auburn. He then doubled down and hired Rhoads and then gave him a terrible contract extension after being "so proud". He then had to buyout Rhoads' contract shortly thereafter. Campbell seems like a good hire so far.

He fired Morgan, which everyone agrees it was time. He hired McD, which was awful. Got Hoiberg to come, whom did great things at ISU. Can't fault him for losing Fred too much, since Fred hated to recruit and wanted to go to the NBA eventually. He then hired Prohm. Prohm's recruiting has been good, but we all saw what he was like after Fred's players left. Jury is still out on him.

Wrestling. Not sure what to say. Losing Cael is something that no AD would want on their resume. But fine, ISU didn't want to pony up the money it would take to keep him, Pollard still didn't have to completely take ISU wrestling into the toilet and completely ignore the whole program.

Like I said, most ADs don't get that many chances to make this many coaching hires.

I hope your kidding with this comment. Tell that to all the other Iowa schools big and small who have success in wrestling.

Mepo - I love the niche sport comment for wrestling as their trolling AD boasts about ISU's cross country, track and field, volleyball and golf teams. Yep those are revenue raisers. Hell he would boast about baseball too, whoops forgot. No program. JP is exactly what makes ISU well ISU. They seek to get bigger by trying to stand on our shoulders or ripping us. Travel to CF and all their sports posts either directly or morph into something dealing with Iowa. PsychoTwins and his clan make ISU what they are. A jealous, loser wannabe of Iowa and their AD is the same. It really is sad. Look play second fiddle and accept it. Auburn does, Okie St does, UCLA does, Wash St does, Georgia Tech does, etc. ISU you are a historic joke of a program outside of a few sweet sixteens in basketball. Hell even announcers doing your games call you the Hawkeyes and think you are located in Iowa City.

Reactions: HerkyFan
ISUBryce - well put. I think there is no way about it, JP is a salesman and knows what people want to hear. And the easiest way to get a positive ISU reaction is to go after Iowa. Simple as that. Poke the bear (or bear fans). And he has definitely made ISU more relevant at least with Campbell there for football. But you have to admit, it does look a little strange for him to go after some random tweet from an Iowa fan that related by the way to wrestling and use that as support to argue, "look Iowa does notice our existence."

Yeah Pollard doesn't bother me a great deal. He's playing to his base, similar to a politician. And the best way to fire up the base is to jab at the Hawkeyes. He has done a very good job of getting the fan base excited and engaged with football. Attendance has increased a great deal, and they've invested in their stadium and practice facilities. ISU may be highly leveraged with the facility improvement (I don't know) but I don't see how he had much other choice. If they didn't do anything with the stadium and facilities they would have sunk to an even lower level of relevance.

Weird that he will so purposefully try to poke Iowa, but then get upset at random Iowa fan who Tweets at him.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT