ADVERTISEMENT

ISU AD doing ISU things again...

I hope your kidding with this comment. Tell that to all the other Iowa schools big and small who have success in wrestling.

Love wrestling, but it is a niche sport. Way behind football and basketball in terms of overall fan interest.

I hope your kidding with this comment. Tell that to all the other Iowa schools big and small who have success in wrestling.
Wrestling is a sore subject for a lot of older Cyclone fans who remember when ISU was one of two or three national powers and Iowa refused to schedule them.

Losing Gable was not only one of the biggest screw-ups in ISU athletics history, it was probably one of the biggest screw-ups in athletics history, period.

I think what he was getting at, is that while it might be a niche sport overall, it isn't and shouldn't be in Iowa.

I agree with this. The state of Iowa is a wrestling state. I personally never wrestled but still respected what it meant to the state. And this is coming from someone who has never followed wrestling or attended a single wrestling meet.

Wrestling is a sore subject for a lot of older Cyclone fans who remember when ISU was one of two or three national powers and Iowa refused to schedule them.

Losing Gable was not only one of the biggest screw-ups in ISU athletics history, it was probably one of the biggest screw-ups in athletics history, period.

How did that all come about?

I've never followed wrestling and was a kid when Iowa was winning all those national championships. It wasn't until a few years back someone mentioned that Dan Gable wrestled at Iowa State, which was a shock to me. I had no idea.

How'd that happen?

Reactions: RogerKint

I don’t recall Iowa refusing to wrestle Iowa state. I’ve known you to stretch the truth about the Hawkeyes. Can you provide some proof of that ?

Dek - I don't know that is true but would love to cancel that and football with them. With football we won 2 years ago by 40 points and dropped in the rankings and their beloved wrestling attendance their AD trolled about for this year would be way less if they didn't have an Iowa home meet. They are not only the little brother but only get above midget status by us letting them get on our shoulders. I used to want them to get respectable in football and wrestling (will give them an average basketball team who finished last in their conference this year) but dealing with their fans in Ankeny and viewing CF with PsychoTwins and their middle-aged AD troll I have grown to want them to continue being a total joke. I used to root for them except against Iowa but now they have people tweeting at Hawkeye recruits, high school kids and posting on HN (cause banned here) as "Hawk fans" I want them in the MAC and be done with them. They have a sick and pathetic fan base now.

I don’t recall Iowa refusing to wrestle Iowa state. I’ve known you to stretch the truth about the Hawkeyes. Can you provide some proof of that ?
Uh....well, you could look at the history of who wrestled who.

You are aware, I assume, of the fact that Iowa refused to meet Iowa State in any sport from the mid-'30s to the '70s.

How did that all come about?

I've never followed wrestling and was a kid when Iowa was winning all those national championships. It wasn't until a few years back someone mentioned that Dan Gable wrestled at Iowa State, which was a shock to me. I had no idea.

How'd that happen?
Gable was a superstar. He was unbeaten at ISU until the national championship bout his senior year (freshmen weren't eligible at the time, so his string started his sophomore year).

The story I always heard was that ISU didn't do much for him to help him prep for the '72 Olympics and Iowa did; also, that the ISU athletics director at the time was relatively unaware of Gable's importance to Iowa State. But I think the primary factor was simply money. Iowa State could afford one full-time assistant, and Les Anderson had been with Nick for a long time. I heard that Gable was offered a position of some kind dealing with fundraising but not coaching, but I don't know if that's true.

If a similar situation were to arise today, they'd probably find something for him to do and some way to pay him.

I don’t think there was a whole lot of dodging ISU back when ISU was a national power. Iowa is 63-16-1 against the clowns. Iowa wanted to wrestle them in Iowa City, I do know that. Clowns will be clowns. I do have one very fond memory of sitting next to Chris Taylor before one of the meets at the Field House. Great guy. I miss the Field House.

Last edited:

You are aware, I assume, of the fact that Iowa refused to meet Iowa State in any sport from the mid-'30s to the '70s.

You always try to blame Iowa. Link ? I suppose next you will tell me Iowa didn’t want to play Iowa state in women’s basketball during Vivian stringers years st Iowa.

Iowa didn’t schedule Wartburg and Luther much between the 30’s and the 70’s either. Maybe that can help explain things?

Reactions: HawkFanatik
You always try to blame Iowa. Link ? I suppose next you will tell me Iowa didn’t want to play Iowa state in women’s basketball during Vivian stringers years st Iowa.
Are you really unaware of the boycott? Seriously?

So because you say it, it’s obviously true. Prove it. You bash the hawks every chance you get. Some of us have been around long enough to know your angle.

Iowa was a national power , if you look at its football schedules those years they played top national teams out of Conferance No room for the clones or uni.

Last edited:

It was mutually agreed upon. isu fans coaches and players acted in the 1930’s much like they do today.

It would be interesting to see what would happen to isu if the series ended again. So much of their culture and identity is tied up in trying to be like Iowa that they would lose it if that ever went away.

Herky - if the series ended ISU would lose their 1 sellout every other year in football and their highest attendance for both basketball and wrestling. CF would close down. Williams would only talk auto racing and PhychoTwins would kill himself with nothing to spend 37k posts on. Now he would still tweet lies to Iowa recruits and continue his ripping of the McCaffrey family but without Iowa he and his minions that post about a 20-1 ratio on Iowa as opposed to ISU would actually have to work. And their "awesome" AD would have to troll other teams. And then we could rid this albatross.

Reactions: ROCKY MOUNTAIN HAWK
Herky - if the series ended ISU would lose their 1 sellout every other year in football and their highest attendance for both basketball and wrestling. CF would close down. Williams would only talk auto racing and PhychoTwins would kill himself with nothing to spend 37k posts on. Now he would still tweet lies to Iowa recruits and continue his ripping of the McCaffrey family but without Iowa he and his minions that post about a 20-1 ratio on Iowa as opposed to ISU would actually have to work. And their "awesome" AD would have to troll other teams. And then we could rid this albatross.

I have a feeling that between now and 2023 isu will lose Iowa because they won’t be P5 and be staring down the barrel of Colorado State being their nearest conference foe. Hey at lest they will be able to claim they will have the largest football stadium in their conference.

Sounds like another Pollard billboard.

I was thinking actually MAC. So maybe Northern Illinois will be the new obsession for CF and Pollard. I have never seen nor heard of a more pathetic, obsessed fan base ever. Dear God, your AD responds to a tweet from a random Iowa fan and uses that as "it just shows they pay attention to us." No moron, the tweet was that even with decent attendance (which was obviously bolstered by the Iowa home dual) ISU is still second fiddle. I do give Pollard credit, he knows if he does anything that involves Iowa that weak ass fan base loses their minds.

Don't look now but ISU is also one of the few times Iowa sells out for football.

ISU sells out a lot of basketball games. Iowa is just one of many. When was the last Iowa basketball sellout that didn't include ISU? A few years ago ISU sold out almost every home game.

Again, literally nobody outside of people on this board care about wrestling attendance.

when will all this attendance ever show up in the revenue column? Pollard and clown fans love to tout it, yet isu trails Iowa by around $40m in revenue and that is before the latest BiG tv deal.

Let us know when volume and not cash pays the bills.

Is there any other fan base as easily triggered as the Iowa fan base?

Minnesota, ISU, Nebraska.........eventually you’ll figure out the problem is with you.

Says a clown fan in an Iowa site. I see the thread on cryclown fanatic referencing this thread has more posts than this one.

All clown fans do on cryclown fanatic is obsess over big bro Iowa. Keep posting though.

Remind me which game during the Ferentz tenure makes you isu big bro? If you have to constantly tell someone you’re their big bro, you’re not. Please keep proving my point for me, thanks in advance.

One game does it? Who knew it was so easy. I always thought things like brand recognition, being called the right school or nickname by tv announcers, larger fan base, more revenue, more success would have something to do with it. Now it's 'pick which game' does it.

Remind me which game during the Ferentz tenure makes you isu big bro? If you have to constantly tell someone you’re their big bro, you’re not. Please keep proving my point for me, thanks in advance.

National Award winners, National Coach of the year multiple times, BCS/New Years Six Bowl Games, 1st Team all Americans, 1st Round NFL Draft picks, 5 Top Ten seasons all of which isu can only dream about. These all make isu little bro.

How exactly isn’t isu Iowa’s little bro according to a myopic clown fan on an Iowa board? Let me guess it is the You freeway sign in your stadium for a scoreboard?

Keep posting little bro we will love to laugh at your reply.

Reactions: BlackNGoldBleeder
Based on this criteria, which teams in the B1G West are you “big bro” to? Kinda sucks when you set the criteria and suddenly realize based on that criteria you are definitely little bro to Nebraska and arguably to Wisconsin. Thanks that was too easy.

Oh looky another VHS era skirt fan.

Nebraska hasn’t had anywhere near the success of Iowa the last 15 years. Same criteria and so they are little bro as well. Same with the rest of the Big Ten West outside of Wisconsin.

Wisconsin on the other hand has been much better than the Hawks the last 15 years.

Based on this criteria, which teams in the B1G West are you “big bro” to? Kinda sucks when you set the criteria and suddenly realize based on that criteria you are definitely little bro to Nebraska and arguably to Wisconsin. Thanks that was too easy.

So now we have switched to using other schools? So you went from 'pick a game' to 'but other schools are better' keep trying you may show improvement soon. Newsflash, if Iowa is little bro to those schools they will also be little bro to To$u. I wonder which school has more schools to look up at.....

Reactions: Blackleaf40
Oh looky another VHS era skirt fan.

Nebraska hasn’t had anywhere near the success of Iowa the last 15 years. Same criteria and so they are little bro as well. Same with the rest of the Big Ten West outside of Wisconsin.

Wisconsin on the other hand has been much better than the Hawks the last 15 years.
LOL!!! This guy is unique!

Reactions: IA_Pork4life
So because you say it, it’s obviously true. Prove it. You bash the hawks every chance you get. Some of us have been around long enough to know your angle.

Iowa was a national power , if you look at its football schedules those years they played top national teams out of Conferance No room for the clones or uni.
We are talking wrestling. And if you really aren't aware of the history of Iowa-ISU athletics relations, you are entirely hopeless. Anybody on this board can confirm it.

We aren't talking about WHY Iowa refused to schedule ISU, or whether it was the right thing to do, or anything like that. We are simply acknowledging the fact that it is history.

In terms of wrestling, I've always heard that Dave McCuskey, the Iowa coach, thought Nick was cheating. The series resumed shortly after he was replaced by Gary Kurdlemeier. That was around the same time as relations in other sports were being resumed. The first meetings since the '30s were between the freshman football and basketball teams in 1966 (FWIW, I attended both of these games). The men's basketball competition resumed in 1970 and football, of course, in 1977.

But let's remember how we got started on this tangent. I wrote that wrestling was a sore spot for ISU fans who remember when ISU was a national power and Iowa refused to wrestle them. These are both unquestionably true statements. All you have to do is consult the record books.

There was no timeframe in that criteria made by Iowa fans. Sorry you lose. Love Iowa fans and timeframe that suits my argument guy.

You said KF so that would be a starting point. Why would we include skirt ancient history prior to joining the Big Ten? Clearly they haven’t been able to handle the better competition.

Better break out your VHS tapes of when the skirts were relevant.

Reactions: ROCKY MOUNTAIN HAWK
Your original quote, as follows, related to all sports, not just wrestling. And I am well aware of the Iowa / ISU athletics relations.

We are talking wrestling. And if you really aren't aware of the history of Iowa-ISU athletics relations, you are entirely hopeless. Anybody on this board can confirm it.

We aren't talking about WHY Iowa refused to schedule ISU, or whether it was the right thing to do, or anything like that. We are simply acknowledging the fact that it is history.

In terms of wrestling, I've always heard that Dave McCuskey, the Iowa coach, thought Nick was cheating. The series resumed shortly after he was replaced by Gary Kurdlemeier. That was around the same time as relations in other sports were being resumed. The first meetings since the '30s were between the freshman football and basketball teams in 1966 (FWIW, I attended both of these games). The men's basketball competition resumed in 1970 and football, of course, in 1977.

But let's remember how we got started on this tangent. I wrote that wrestling was a sore spot for ISU fans who remember when ISU was a national power and Iowa refused to wrestle them. These are both unquestionably true statements. All you have to do is consult the record books.

KFs only been coaching for 15 years? Oh wait, you’re “Cherry picking timeframe guy”. KF has a losing record to Nebraska, so you still lose. Keep trying, Iowa fans set the criteria. You’re really bad at this debate thing.

You were the one who brought up the Big Ten West. Why would we include ancient history from the skirts?

Keep changing your argument and maybe eventually you will get it right.

Let’s celebrate what we have in common, you’re a fan of a school that’s a has been wrestling power and a never was football power and I am a fan of a has been football power and a never was wrestling power.

Oh yeah and according to Iowa fans definition of little bro, Iowa is Nebraska’s little bro. Got it? Good!

You are a fan of a team that was last relevant in the VHS era when you were in the weak Big8/12.

All that matters now is what the once mighties have done since they joined a real conference.

You’re a fan of a team that’s never been relevant, man you’re bad at this!

Nebraska has been so bad since joining the Big Ten that skirt fans can only remember their ancient history.

Keep posting skirt fan. We love the entertainment.

Last edited:
So Porky u joined today as a Husker to get involved in an Iowa-ISU discusssion? Pretty sad. If I were Husker I would also argue about our history in football since recently they are not very good. I am guessing you are here because you were banned from Nebbie boards for failing to pray at the pulpit of Frost and read the Bible, I mean anything written by Osborne.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT