ADVERTISEMENT

It’s a new era in Hawkeye Land!!! - FSU fan thread to discuss Hawkeye football

Stanley’s three years as a starter all had Brian Ferentz as OC.

The 2017-2019 teams, in hindsight, look like the greatest show on turf compared to what we’ve seen the last three seasons.
I still maintain the biggest problem with Iowa football is not the overall strategy, the playcalling or Brian - it is having a shitty ass offensive line.

Can't block? Can't win.

It really is that simple.

Now, of COURSE it is on KF and BF - alleged o-line gurus - to figure out what is behind the systemic failure to deploy even an average offensive line since 2020.

Either that or one or both of them need to retire/resign, etc.

I still maintain the biggest problem with Iowa football is not the overall strategy, the playcalling or Brian - it is having a shitty ass offensive line.

Can't block? Can't win.

Now, of COURSE it is on KF and BF - alleged o-line gurus - to figure out what is behind the systemic failure to deploy even an average offensive line since 2020.

And that was also Tim Polasek's last year. I would love to be a fly-on-the-wall during the coach's meetings or listen to the headset conversation after failed play call after failed play call.

The fact that Brian replaced KOK as QB coach just shows how ego-driven this whole thing has been. I am wondering now if Ken was scapegoated for the 2021 campaign.

Last edited:

Can't block? Can't win.

Recruiting (high school or portal) misses and player development failures are on the coaches. Once you have an OL which demonstrates incompetence executing what you want to do, you need to pivot to something they can do. If the zone blocking scheme at a high level is the equivalent of playing a complicated sonata on a piano, have them play chopsticks. Once they can do that, maybe have them play when the saints go marching in, and if they can do that, the entertainer. Having them keep trying to play the most difficult music when they lack the talent to do so is on the coaches.

And that was also Tim Polasek's last year. I would love to be a fly-on-the-wall during the coach's meetings or listen to the headset conversation after failed play call after failed play call.

The fact that Brian replaced KOK as OC just shows how ego-driven this whole thing has been. I am wondering now if Ken was scapegoated for the 2021 campaign.
What is infuriating is if Iowa just put Brian back to coaching o-line and brought in a creative young offensive coordinator, I bet you could turn this thing around in one season (maybe not to super awesome offense, but at least not embarrassing bottom-of-all-of-college-football bad.)

Agree it is ego that gets in the way.

Interestingly, I don't think it's "ego" in the way of many vain, glory-seeking types when it comes to Kirk. Rather, it's more of a stubborn "dammit, I KNOW I'm right" ego.

After the bowl game (assuming they get one!), KF needs to wake up and demote Brian to OL coach only, bring in an OC who's produced results before in a P5 setting, and then let the OC run HIS offense instead of just what/how KF believes offense is/should be.

Either do that this offseason, or start enjoying retirement Kirk.

From the bottom of 95% of the fanbase's hearts, please pick one of those options. PLEASE!!!

After the bowl game (assuming they get one!), KF needs to wake up and demote Brian to OL coach only, bring in an OC who's produced results before in a P5 setting, and then let the OC run HIS offense instead of just what/how KF believes offense is/should be.

Either do that this offseason, or start enjoying retirement Kirk.

From the bottom of 95% of the fanbase's hearts, please pick one of those options. PLEASE!!!
I would be SHOCKED if Brian was demoted and stayed with the team. That just doesn't happen. The way I see this playing out one of three ways: (1) the status quo; (2) Kirk finds a way to save face and ships Brian off somewhere in the NFL where the job would not be seen as a demotion; or (3) the new AD fires Brian for not meeting production standards, and then Kirk quits.

What is infuriating is if Iowa just put Brian back to coaching o-line and brought in a creative young offensive coordinator, I bet you could turn this thing around in one season (maybe not to super awesome offense, but at least not embarrassing bottom-of-all-of-college-football bad.)

Agree it is ego that gets in the way.

Interestingly, I don't think it's "ego" in the way of many vain, glory-seeking types when it comes to Kirk. Rather, it's more of a stubborn "dammit, I KNOW I'm right" ego.
Sadly, it's starting to remind me of Hayden's final years where he supposedly was calling plays (DRAW!) and using an outdated system (QB taking 8 steps back)

WTF with a slow developing running play on your own goal line. RB was lined up 7 yards behind the line of scrimmage.

Reactions: goldmom
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT