ADVERTISEMENT

It's the University's Decision

GunnerHawk

HR All-American
Mar 16, 2014
Watched the presser yesterday and Kirk said "It was the University's Decision". That pretty much tells it all.

Kirk's body language was very telling. He did not want the distraction of Brian leaving being announced during the season. He was put out and I oroginally thought he would stay but now I highly doubt it.

That will be a sad day for Iowa and me personally. I have supported the program with season tickets and donations for over 35 years. There was a five year hiatus while I worked in Canada but my wife and I have been lifelong supporters and fans.

For the younger generation who want to belittle me and others because we are older and wiser, I remember the 19 straight losing season and when Iowa was the butt of media jokes nationally. It is hard to be successful at Iowa. Small population to draw recruits from, stigma from many parts of the country about Iowa's cornfields, and yes, in the age of NIL, we are lacking the big dollar donors.

The Hawks could and probably will slip back when Kirk retires. I for one will wish him well for all he has done for the university and the state of Iowa. All of you change agents, be careful what you wish for. Change is good but it is extremely risky, if not handled properly. Just look to the West to see how Nebraska has faired the past 20 years. Under Kirk, Iowa has been the model for consistency, bowl eligable 24 of 25 years.

After yesterday, I am more convinced Kirk will rerire. Our recruiting class will implode and a new staff will scramble to hold things together. The really good coaches will get new lucrative gigs somewhere and several will be retained.
In that scenario. The Hawks may have some success but I highly doubt they'll match Kirk.

My days of season tickets, donations and bowl travel is waning. It will be up to the next generation to carry the ball. Enjoy the ride.

Thanks Kirk!

Watched the presser yesterday and Kirk said "It was the University's Decision". That pretty much tells it all.

Kirk's body language was very telling. He did not want the distraction of Brian leaving being announced during the season. He was put out and I oroginally thought he would stay but now I highly doubt it.

That will be a sad day for Iowa and me personally. I have supported the program with season tickets and donations for over 35 years. There was a five year hiatus while I worked in Canada but my wife and I have been lifelong supporters and fans.

For the younger generation who want to belittle me and others because we are older and wiser, I remember the 19 straight losing season and when Iowa was the butt of media jokes nationally. It is hard to be successful at Iowa. Small population to draw recruits from, stigma from many parts of the country about Iowa's cornfields, and yes, in the age of NIL, we are lacking the big dollar donors.

The Hawks could and probably will slip back when Kirk retires. I for one will wish him well for all he has done for the university and the state of Iowa. All of you change agents, be careful what you wish for. Change is good but it is extremely risky, if not handled properly. Just look to the West to see how Nebraska has faired the past 20 years. Under Kirk, Iowa has been the model for consistency, bowl eligable 24 of 25 years.

After yesterday, I am more convinced Kirk will rerire. Our recruiting class will implode and a new staff will scramble to hold things together. The really good coaches will get new lucrative gigs somewhere and several will be retained.
In that scenario. The Hawks may have some success but I highly doubt they'll match Kirk.

My days of season tickets, donations and bowl travel is waning. It will be up to the next generation to carry the ball. Enjoy the ride.

Thanks Kirk!
Thanks Kirk! Hope you stay. Brian! Good riddance. Can’t believe you still walk through that football office everyday.

Thanks Kirk!
You do also realize that Nebraska ran out two coaches that were just as, if not more successful than Kirk in Frank Solich and Bo Pelini right? And Matt Rhule is looking damn good this year as well. Nebraska under Pelini had a better seven year stretch than Kirk has even come close to at iowa.

Last edited:

Thanks Kirk!
I'd says its likely(60/40) that Kirk sails into the sunset after the bowl game. With that said the B1G schedule is going to be more difficult next season and Hawkeyes are going to need to improve their offense to compete. The days of the B1G West are gone. Change is coming.

Thanks Kirk!
Was your expectation that Kirk would coach forever?

I mean, I agree with most of what you wrote. And while I am not among those actively cheering for a KF departure, I can recognize that it will happen eventually, that it will happen fairly soon, and that all things considered, now might make as much sense as any other time.

So Kirk's feelings got hurt, too bad. His son was a liability to the program and needed to be removed after last year. Too bad Barta didn't have the stones, good thing Goetz did. If Kirk decides to leave because he is butt hurt, then don't let the door hit your ass on the way out. If he chooses to hire a competent OC and stick around then great, best of luck.

Did Beth give Brian the opportunity to say he was resigning at the end of the year or the option to wait until the end of the year if he would resign? Obviously, Kirk was not happy on the timing so were there other options?

You do also realize that Nebraska ran out two coaches that were just as, if not more successful than Kirk in Frank Solich and Bo Pelini right? And Matt Rhule is looking damn good this year as well. Nebraska under Pelini had a better seven year stretch than Kirk has even come close to at iowa.
But the fans wanted more. So they got what they asked for. Rhule is doing better (5-3) and will probably get to bowl games but I don't ever see them winning a National Champuinship again.

Reactions: pmtdc and bradaf
But the fans wanted more. So they got what they asked for. Rhule is doing better (5-3) and will probably get to bowl games but I don't ever see them winning a National Champuinship again.
As a Nebraska fan as well, it was a definite mistake to get rid of Pelini. But comparing getting rid of the worst offensive coordinator modern power college football has ever seen to Bo Pelini is nonsense. Absolute non starter. Nebraska was chasing national titles, which will never happen. Iowa is chasing just not being an absolute cluster and embarrassment on offense. Completely different.

Last edited:

Thanks Kirk!
The cycle of life. The Hawkeye football world did not die when Fry retired.

KF recognpzes that he no longer has 100% control over the football program and thats what upsets him the most. I feel bad that KF was unwilling to change and that unwillingness will now be part of his legacy. I wish he could have gone out on a better note, but he was not going to let BF go at the end of the season. He is still stuck with O problems and no sign they were going to improve. I do hope KF retires and the Hawks move on. Like the OP i was here long before KF and I'll be here long after he's gone. The University of Iowa, Iowa Athletics, and Iowa Football mean more to me than KF.

Another thread, same message.

Iowa is currently the butt of national media jokes. Beth stepped in to rectify that because Kirk refused to do so.

For the old and wise, doom and gloom crowd, just waiting to say, "I told you so." You always mention the losing seasons but never mention the transition from Hayden to Kirk. Why is that? You cannot convince me you didn't feel the same way then as you feel now. So do you own up to being dead ass wrong then, or were you always a Nostradamus?

Change is inevitable. I don't understand why you must keep your head in the sand about it.

Last edited:
Did Beth give Brian the opportunity to say he was resigning at the end of the year or the option to wait until the end of the year if he would resign? Obviously, Kirk was not happy on the timing so were there other options?
Yes he was giving the opportunity to resign

Reactions: wxhawk

Thanks Kirk!
Pretty sure the University could have taken your CAD Dollars?🤪

Iowa is currently the butt of national media jokes. Beth stepped in to rectify that because Kirk refused to do so.

For the old and wise, doom and gloom crowd, just waiting to say, "I told you so." You always mention the losing seasons but never mention the transition from Hayden to Kirk. Why is that? You cannot convince me you didn't feel the same way then as you feel now. So do you own up to being dead ass wrong then, or were you always a Nostradamus?

Change is inevitable. I don't understand why you must keep your head in the sand about it.
Iowa football is in a much, MUCH, better place now than when Hayden retired.

Kirk knows the deal, he's not a fool. Hard headed and stubborn, I'll absolutely give you that but we've been lucky to have him.

The cycle of life. The Hawkeye football world did not die when Fry retired.
Hayden's last couple of years were not great and Kirk had a fairly bare cupboard. I actually think he has performed more consistently than Hayden but I'll always have a soft spot for that ole Texan. He turned Iowa's program around.

I think you can count on one hand the number of teams that have had the bowl run, Kirk has had.

For the old and wise, doom and gloom crowd, just waiting to say "I told you so." You always mention the losing seasons but never mention the transition from Hayden to Kirk. Why is that? You cannot convince me you didn't feel the same way then as you feel now. So do you own up to being dead ass wrong then, or were you always a Nostradamus?

Change is inevitable. I don't understand why you must keep your head in the sand about

For crying out loud, what difference does it make if he leaves now while the program is in decent shape, or he leaves in 3 years when it might not be? He's 68, the end is nearing regardless. This doom and gloom crap is sad.
Agreed, I feel like some of these posts are eulogies…😉

Pretty sure the University could have taken your CAD Dollars?🤪
CAD was at .83% in those days. I use to drive to Buffalo to watch the Hawks, quaff a few ales and munch on some wings. My wife would go shopping. Enjoyed Canada but we were glad to get back to the states.

Reactions: Rambler Hawk
This feels like one of those situations where we’ve been playing like a Western Michigan football team (2021 to 2023 schedule) and then coming up we have Penn State in Happy Valley (2024 schedule) and if Kirk leaves people are going to be like, “Well we won so many more games with him.”
News flash. Kirk ain’t going above .500 in the new big ten unless we overhaul the offense.

Thanks Kirk!

For me that has less to do with what kind of fortune we will have in the immediate future, and more about integrity. Kirk had a very good run, and as you say what he (and Hayden before him) did with this program is extremely impressive, given the demographic challenges Iowa faces.

I do not look forward to starting with a new head coach. It will be difficult, especially in the new NCAA world, to field a team as competitive as we have for the last several decades.

However, Kirk is old and the change was coming soon, anyway. In the mean time, the BF situation is unforgiveable. If forcing the program to do the right thing - get rid of this failed nepotism hire - causes Kirk to leave then so be it. A coach unwilling to do the right thing is not a coach worth keeping, regardless of his past success.

So Kirk's feelings got hurt, too bad. His son was a liability to the program and needed to be removed after last year. Too bad Barta didn't have the stones, good thing Goetz did. If Kirk decides to leave because he is butt hurt, then don't let the door hit your ass on the way out. If he chooses to hire a competent OC and stick around then great, best of luck.
/thread

B
For me that has less to do with what kind of fortune we will have in the immediate future, and more about integrity. Kirk had a very good run, and as you say what he (and Hayden before him) did with this program is extremely impressive, given the demographic challenges Iowa faces.

I do not look forward to starting with a new head coach. It will be difficult, especially in the new NCAA world, to field a team as competitive as we have for the last several decades.

However, Kirk is old and the change was coming soon, anyway. In the mean time, the BF situation is unforgiveable. If forcing the program to do the right thing - get rid of this failed nepotism hire - causes Kirk to leave then so be it. A coach unwilling to do the right thing is not a coach worth keeping, regardless of his past success.
Bingo

Reactions: mustang_hawk
Was your expectation that Kirk would coach forever?

I mean, I agree with most of what you wrote. And while I am not among those actively cheering for a KF departure, I can recognize that it will happen eventually, that it will happen fairly soon, and that all things considered, now might make as much sense as any other time.
This. The man is 68 years old. The game is changing in ways he doesn't really appreciate. Its not hard to imagine that he may want to walk away now. I mean he was probably only going to coach a few more years anyway. Change is going to come at some point soon whether we like it or not.

Reactions: Max_Rebo
Kirk was not happy because his son was being let go. He gave no indication that this would be Brian’s final year. If he didn’t want it to happen mid season he should have done it 10 months ago.

The amount of negative comments and ridicule was increasing weekly. It was apparent that KF was not going to do what needed to be done to stop it, so BG did what had to be done. Two more months of the status quo would have been harmful to the team, athletic department and the University.

Not surprised to hear this one bit…he seems like the type of guy who thinks he is the smartest one in the room. I wouldn’t be shocked if he lawyers up claiming his firing was unjust because he had to deal with injuries…😉
Can you imagine what the fallout from the national media would be if Brian and Kirk thought it’d be a good idea to file a lawsuit. The national media would have a field day. “This lawsuit has about a good of chance succeeding as Iowa scoring multiple touchdowns in a big ten game.”

I don't think we need to go back to the 19 losing seasons we can look at the 1992-1994 seasons when Hayden was 16-18-1 over those three seasons in the middle of his career. We have not had anything similar after Kirk's first couple of seasons. My point being winning at Iowa is not easy and we have been very fortunate to have had two great coaches in a row.

As we see other teams including Nebraska struggle to find the right coach and have not been to a bowl since 2016 it is not unreasonable to think Iowa could finds itself in a similar situation. Illinois has been to 7 bowls since 2000 under 5 coaches. Look at Purdue's struggles after Tiller left. Brohm was 36-34 at Purdue before he left.

Could Iowa find a coach who can win at a 70% rate like Kirk has done over the last 5 years sure but I think the chances are less than 50-50.

I don’t think Kirk is done. Scott Dochterman has said he has not heard a thing from anyone he knows that indicates Kirk would hang it up.

Dochterman listed these three OC candidates:

Budamyr

Ladell Betts

Grubb from Washington who grew up in Iowa and was a Hawk fan.

For crying out loud, what difference does it make if he leaves now while the program is in decent shape, or he leaves in 3 years when it might not be? He's 68, the end is nearing regardless. This doom and gloom crap is sad.
You don't remember Bob Commings, do you?

I don’t think Kirk is done. Scott Dochterman has said he has not heard a thing from anyone he knows that indicates Kirk would hang it up.

Budamyr

Ladell Betts

Open up the wallet and go get Grubb. If I was Goetz, I'd have my hands in this decision and I'd write in the contract that he gets 100% control of the offense and playcalling. No more 2nd verse same as the 1st, crap anymore

Budamyr

Ladell Betts

I believe Grubb makes $2M a year so he’s not coming here unless there is some sort of deal to make him HC after Kirk retires (and that would be foolish). Budmayr may or may not be an upgrade. Betts is green as is Budmayr. Our offense will not change until such time as Kirk retires.

Open up the wallet and go get Grubb. If I was Goetz, I'd have my hands in this decision and I'd write in the contract that he gets 100% control of the offense and playcalling. No more 2nd verse same as the 1st, crap anymore
Well, BF and Budmayr made about $1.3 MM combined, so we might as well use that money more wisely…🙂

This feels like one of those situations where we’ve been playing like a Western Michigan football team (2021 to 2023 schedule) and then coming up we have Penn State in Happy Valley (2024 schedule) and if Kirk leaves people are going to be like, “Well we won so many more games with him.”
News flash. Kirk ain’t going above .500 in the new big ten unless we overhaul the offense.
Please go back to the cornholer board. Nebraska may not either.

Reactions: jimbob22
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT