ADVERTISEMENT

It's the University's Decision

Its time to move on, KF was a tremendous leader for the program but the game has simply passed him by. Very few coaches can have success for multiple decades at the same school.

Being afraid to "slip back" is no reason not to move forward with change. It's scary to think of doing something different, but for the sake of progress it's imperative to be open to new ideas and approaches. Something that KF clearly isn't capable of anymore.

For me that has less to do with what kind of fortune we will have in the immediate future, and more about integrity. Kirk had a very good run, and as you say what he (and Hayden before him) did with this program is extremely impressive, given the demographic challenges Iowa faces.

I do not look forward to starting with a new head coach. It will be difficult, especially in the new NCAA world, to field a team as competitive as we have for the last several decades.

However, Kirk is old and the change was coming soon, anyway. In the mean time, the BF situation is unforgiveable. If forcing the program to do the right thing - get rid of this failed nepotism hire - causes Kirk to leave then so be it. A coach unwilling to do the right thing is not a coach worth keeping, regardless of his past success.
Fantastic post. Well said.

So many unfounded declarations in here. And KF isn't gone yet, save your obituaries.

And no woe is us, we're little old Iowa. We're a Big Ten program and a damn good one with a top ten winning % the last decade. Whenever KF does depart, things might get worse, yeah. Things might also get better. Crazy idea, I know.

Reactions: Bierhalter
I don’t think Kirk is done. Scott Dochterman has said he has not heard a thing from anyone he knows that indicates Kirk would hang it up.

Dochterman listed these three OC candidates:

Budamyr

Ladell Betts

Grubb from Washington who grew up in Iowa and was a Hawk fan.
Definitely want Grubb.

Definitely do NOT want Budmayr. He wouldn't be much better than Brian (which means he will get the job).

No opinion on Betts.

As a Nebraska fan as well, it was a definite mistake to get rid of Pelini. But comparing getting rid of the worst offensive coordinator modern power college football has ever seen to Bo Pelini is nonsense. Absolute non starter. Nebraska was chasing national titles, which will never happen. Iowa is chasing just not being an absolute cluster and embarrassment on offense. Completely different.
Well that explains why every single one of your posts are negative towards Iowa football. You're a Nebraska fan hanging out on the Iowa board. That makes you a steaming pile of dogshit. Off with your head.

Reactions: jimbob22
Watched the presser yesterday and Kirk said "It was the University's Decision". That pretty much tells it all.

Kirk's body language was very telling. He did not want the distraction of Brian leaving being announced during the season. He was put out and I oroginally thought he would stay but now I highly doubt it.

That will be a sad day for Iowa and me personally. I have supported the program with season tickets and donations for over 35 years. There was a five year hiatus while I worked in Canada but my wife and I have been lifelong supporters and fans.

For the younger generation who want to belittle me and others because we are older and wiser, I remember the 19 straight losing season and when Iowa was the butt of media jokes nationally. It is hard to be successful at Iowa. Small population to draw recruits from, stigma from many parts of the country about Iowa's cornfields, and yes, in the age of NIL, we are lacking the big dollar donors.

The Hawks could and probably will slip back when Kirk retires. I for one will wish him well for all he has done for the university and the state of Iowa. All of you change agents, be careful what you wish for. Change is good but it is extremely risky, if not handled properly. Just look to the West to see how Nebraska has faired the past 20 years. Under Kirk, Iowa has been the model for consistency, bowl eligable 24 of 25 years.

After yesterday, I am more convinced Kirk will rerire. Our recruiting class will implode and a new staff will scramble to hold things together. The really good coaches will get new lucrative gigs somewhere and several will be retained.
In that scenario. The Hawks may have some success but I highly doubt they'll match Kirk.

My days of season tickets, donations and bowl travel is waning. It will be up to the next generation to carry the ball. Enjoy the ride.

Thanks Kirk!
Nice sentiment. Change isn't always good, but it is always inevitable. Brian had to go and Kirk was retiring within the next few years regardless of what happened the past week. The program's current trajectory wasn't a positive one. With that said, let's all hope the next hire is a strong one that can meet all of the new challenges that lie ahead.

Reactions: coorsoriginal02
Definitely want Grubb.

Definitely do NOT want Budmayr. He wouldn't be much better than Brian (which means he will get the job).

No opinion on Betts.
I think Grubb could be a head coaching candidate, if the need arises.

As OC, I think it's a pipe dream. I can't see him making what would pretty much be a sideways career move to Iowa, just to shelve his offense in favor of Kirk's "complimentary" system (which will be the requirement of any OC Kirk hires). Besides that, "head coach in waiting" schemes almost never work.

I think it's comical that Kakert is out there disparaging fans for celebrating BF's departure, reminding everyone that Kirk has almost always gone with "unsexy" assistant coach hires (especially at OC). But then he goes on to name-drop Grubb as a possible candidate.

You do also realize that Nebraska ran out two coaches that were just as, if not more successful than Kirk in Frank Solich and Bo Pelini right? And Matt Rhule is looking damn good this year as well. Nebraska under Pelini had a better seven year stretch than Kirk has even come close to at iowa.
Pelini 67-27 , Kirk 2015-21 63-25 PelinI 71.27% Kirk 71.79% Go back under Your Bridge

Well that explains why every single one of your posts are negative towards Iowa football. You're a Nebraska fan hanging out on the Iowa board. That makes you a steaming pile of dogshit. Off with your head.
Naw. I’m an iowa season ticket holder and alum. Neither one of those for Nebraska.

Can you imagine what the fallout from the national media would be if Brian and Kirk thought it’d be a good idea to file a lawsuit. The national media would have a field day. “This lawsuit has about a good of chance succeeding as Iowa scoring multiple touchdowns in a big ten game.”
Was it a firing or just told that his contract would not be renewed?

Pelini 67-27 , Kirk 2015-21 63-25 PelinI 71.27% Kirk 71.79% Go back under Your Bridge
Pelini never won less than nine games in his entire tenure at Nebraska. Fact.
You cherry picking Kirk’s best seven year stretch and Kirk still won less games than Bo. It’s not helping your argument!

Definitely want Grubb.

No opinion on Betts.
I think that it will be a short-term job for the next OC. Maybe one season, two at most.

Did Beth give Brian the opportunity to say he was resigning at the end of the year or the option to wait until the end of the year if he would resign? Obviously, Kirk was not happy on the timing so were there other options?
Every other D1 program in the nation would have released Brian at the end of last year; Kirk and Brian had their opportunity to avoid this scenario last January. I think the timing of this is way better than post season: it gives the players (especially on defense) hope for the future, invigorates most of the fan base that have been despondent over our pathetic offense and Kirk's unwillingness to retool, plus it lets future recruits know we do want to give them a chance to succeed.

Did Beth give Brian the opportunity to say he was resigning at the end of the year or the option to wait until the end of the year if he would resign? Obviously, Kirk was not happy on the timing so were there other options?
I have absolutely no inside information, but it wouldn't surprise me one bit if it went down this way: 1) BG privately tells KF that BF is not going to be retained, and gives KF the option to control the narrative. 2) KF does the ole "I evaluate things at the end of the season, and I will again re: BF." 3) BG reminds KF that she is in charge of BF's employment, and if he doesn't cooperate she'll pull the trigger now. 4) KF "I dare you."

I’m not trying to turn this into a Pelini reunion. My simple point was Nebraska got rid of a coach that never won less than nine games. It was a horrible decision.
Iowa getting rid of Brian Ferentz, regardless of what happens is a necessary decision and absolutely had to happen. There is no comparison.

Big10 especially West has been weak for many years. Don't look at bowl games as any barometer, because these days until it's National Championship, the teams are watered down by future NFL players sitting them out.

Kirks's system has thrived on the inept offenses of most Big10 teams. But it's dived below that bar in the last 3 years. Kirk had supreme control with Barta and now has for first time has to deal with higher authority making a decision over his head.

He might allude that he'd prefer it took place after season....but that's exactly what happned last year...after beating a unmotivated Kentucky team (without many parts that sat out or were injured). They let Brian stay with the idiotic contract.

He's not fired...he's just not being renewed. Should have happened last year. If Brian wasn't allowed to make personal decisions on recruiting (ie QB play) than shame on Kirk for being stubborn to the point of allowing Brian to fail. And Kirk...please stop with the "what we see at practice" excuses. What we see on game day trumps all of that and reveals the truth.

Kirk went like 54 and 36 in that same stretch as Pelini. Kirk 60%.
You said Kirk had never had a 7 year stretch as good as Pelini , I proved You wrong do not double down on fat uneducated and stupid to fit Your narrative, It is not a good look . Your exact words were- Nebraska under Pelini had a better seven year stretch than Kirk has even come close to at iowa.

You said Kirk had never had a 7 year stretch as good as Pelini , I proved You wrong do not double down on fat uneducated and stupid to fit Your narrative, It is not a good look .
He never did. Never won as many games as Pelini in a seven year stretch. Happy to educate you. And Pelini was more consistent.

I think Grubb could be a head coaching candidate, if the need arises.

As OC, I think it's a pipe dream. I can't see him making what would pretty much be a sideways career move to Iowa, just to shelve his offense in favor of Kirk's "complimentary" system (which will be the requirement of any OC Kirk hires). Besides that, "head coach in waiting" schemes almost never work.

I think it's comical that Kakert is out there disparaging fans for celebrating BF's departure, reminding everyone that Kirk has almost always gone with "unsexy" assistant coach hires (especially at OC). But then he goes on to name-drop Grubb as a possible candidate.
I know Grubb is a pipe dream at OC.....but I would still like to have him!

Well, BF and Budmayr made about $1.3 MM combined, so we might as well use that money more wisely…🙂
It doesn't seem to be a stretch as far as dollars, especially if it improves recruitment and the offense. Issue may be bringing someone in who has complete control like Phil does on defense. Certainly, wouldn't want to see the administrations hands tied with a hire and a stipulation of being HC when the time comes. I do recall, during the Goetz interview, she said she and the administration would have input in a hire. Now what this means exactly is anyone's guess.

I don't think we need to go back to the 19 losing seasons we can look at the 1992-1994 seasons when Hayden was 16-18-1 over those three seasons in the middle of his career. We have not had anything similar after Kirk's first couple of seasons. My point being winning at Iowa is not easy and we have been very fortunate to have had two great coaches in a row.

As we see other teams including Nebraska struggle to find the right coach and have not been to a bowl since 2016 it is not unreasonable to think Iowa could finds itself in a similar situation. Illinois has been to 7 bowls since 2000 under 5 coaches. Look at Purdue's struggles after Tiller left. Brohm was 36-34 at Purdue before he left.

Could Iowa find a coach who can win at a 70% rate like Kirk has done over the last 5 years sure but I think the chances are less than 50-50.
I agree with most of this.

Your last sentence seems to be the point of divergence between those chomping at the bit for change and those clinging to the status quo.

I think the chances of the next coach winning 70% of their games at Iowa is much, much less than 50-50. Like, almost a certainty. However, I feel equally confident that Kirk will not win 70% of his games over the next five years, either, should he remain here that long.

Reactions: chris314
I agree with most of this.

Your last sentence seems to be the point of divergence between those chomping at the bit for change and those clinging to the status quo.

I think the chances of the next coach winning 70% of their games at Iowa is much, much less than 50-50. Like, almost a certainty. However, I feel equally confident that Kirk will not win 70% of his games over the next five years, either, should he remain here that long.
Yea. It’s like people don’t understand how your schedule plays a role. Iowa’s schedule last year was harder than this years by a good bit. Last years team was probably better than this years, but this years team should have a better record.

you could cut cut and paste your same post, change KF to Hayden Fry, and post it in 1998. Heard the same thing.

It wasn't true then so.. why does it need to be true now?

It only had to be a university decision because of the nepotism here.

No organization or employer can allow an underperforming employee to stay on board forever just because of their name. It's demoralizing to all the other employees and eventually causes way more harm. The university has to be bigger than one family, no matter what good they may have done up to that point.

If KF doesn't like that, that's too bad.

Big10 especially West has been weak for many years. Don't look at bowl games as any barometer, because these days until it's National Championship, the teams are watered down by future NFL players sitting them out.

Kirks's system has thrived on the inept offenses of most Big10 teams. But it's dived below that bar in the last 3 years. Kirk had supreme control with Barta and now has for first time has to deal with higher authority making a decision over his head.

He might allude that he'd prefer it took place after season....but that's exactly what happned last year...after beating a unmotivated Kentucky team (without many parts that sat out or were injured). They let Brian stay with the idiotic contract.

He's not fired...he's just not being renewed. Should have happened last year. If Brian wasn't allowed to make personal decisions on recruiting (ie QB play) than shame on Kirk for being stubborn to the point of allowing Brian to fail. And Kirk...please stop with the "what we see at practice" excuses. What we see on game day trumps all of that and reveals the truth.
You must have missed 2021 when the West had Iowa at 10-4, and Purdue, Wisconsin and Minnesota all at 9-4. Since most teams only play 1 power 5 team in non-conference and maybe another in a bowl game it is hard to not look at bowl games. Sure some teams may have more players sit out than others but on average that should even out and give an indication of team and conference strength. Wisconsin has won 8 of last 9 bowl games and Minnesota has won 6 in a row.

Inept offenses may be impacted by outstanding defenses. 2022 these are the scoring defenses we faced. #1 Illinois, #4 Minn, #7 Mich, #13 Kentucky, #17 Wisc, #18 ISU, and #24 OSU who allowed 21 points per game. Iowa was #2 behind the #1 Illinois defense who allowed 12.8 PPG. Over half the teams we faced had a top 25 defense.

2021 Scoring Defenses Wisc #4, Minn #6, PSU #6 Tie, Mich #8, ISU #20, Kentucky #26. Iowa was at #13 behind 4 defenses we faced including 2 in the Big West. Kentucky allowed 21.7 PPG while the top 4 defenses we faced all allowed less than 18 PPG. We faced 4 top ten defenses and 6 top 26 defenses.

And other Big 10 teams faced Iowa's great defense.

Yea. It’s like people don’t understand how your schedule plays a role. Iowa’s schedule last year was harder than this years by a good bit. Last years team was probably better than this years, but this years team should have a better record

Nope, but I do have some great inside information
Nope, but I do have some great inside information
Sure sounded like it to me yesterday. Kirk was biting his tongue when asked some pointed questions by the medua. He swore more yesterday than I've ever heard.

Sure sounded like it to me yesterday. Kirk was biting his tongue when asked some pointed questions by the medua. He swore more yesterday than I've ever heard.
I was told that it was a very tense situation when they told Kirk. It did not go over very well. A lot of things KF said at the presser yesterday was things they told me about the meeting

Was your expectation that Kirk would coach forever?

I mean, I agree with most of what you wrote. And while I am not among those actively cheering for a KF departure, I can recognize that it will happen eventually, that it will happen fairly soon, and that all things considered, now might make as much sense as any other time.
I write this with no sense of enjoyment, because I have long respected Kirk, and how he runs the football program. It has not always gone the way I would have liked, but he’s overall been great for the program. Others may differ and that’s okay.

With that, in someways it might be better that he retire now. He was not going to coach that many more years, regardless. If he does retire, this way it avoids coaches telling recruits for the next two years that you are not going to get to play for Kirk. This way it just happens.

With this path comes the need to have a very short list of solid candidates for the top spot. It may already exist. No whiffs on this one. A bad hire can set them back 10 years. No pressure Beth.

Reactions: Max_Rebo
their

As I suspected, your source is wishful thinking.
You are amazing. I have nothing to prove to you or anybody else. People like you are why we don't give out information anymore. Their use to quit a few people that had good contacts back in the day. Now they say nothing.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT